Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ATN Random * NFL* Thought Thread---Read OP

Jumbo

This will be an experiment---it's been on my mind for awhile and never got around to it until now. We'll see if it has any legs.

I have been thinking for some time that even with covid complication aside, this year is a real standout imo for all the major storylines across each division in so many matters.

There's so much headline-worthy stuff going on in so many teams that invites a lot of off-and-on commenting---just a multitude of relevant, interesting matters that don't fit existing threads or isn't a thing most members start a thread for.

And let's face it, our beloved ATN is not what it once was for many understandable reasons, and i think this may get a little more life and dialogue into it.

But my main motive is there's a lot of interesting non-wft stuff going on that doesn't get much coverage in here these days unless it's about hating on Kirk Cousins (which i think is fine of course).

So we'll see if we can just ump around, initiating or returning to topic after topic, and sometimes getting into a longer exchanges. The idea is to sort of a forum version of the same smorgasbord of non-wft nfl topics you'd typically cover when just catching up with a football buddy anytime elsewhere. 

You can post  random non-wft nfl thoughts on any matter any time. If someone does get inspired to make a new thread for a more focused discussion on a matter raised here, feel free of course to make it and we'll move that discussion to it. :) 

So after this long OP, i'll let it sit for a bit, but I do have several matters (like the 'newer/potential qb stars') in mind to post on myself in awhile.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Hmm.  Think this thought would qualify. Covid won’t disrupt the NFL like it did last year; even though there are players unvaccinated.

Another thought. It will be interesting to see the impact of the 17 game season this year. Also, since the AFC has 9 home games this year and the nfc next year; what will impact of that 9th home game?

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 2

Just a few years ago my major interest in the qb field was wondering if the rising indicators of potential dominancy for mahomes would continue with little interruption, or would the seemingly similar level of exceptional potential  talents in the form of watson and jackson challenge him enough to make it more of a fight for "new superman" (leaving aside the older goats).

Now i'm looking at herbert, lance, and z. wilson, too, before we even get to lawrence (i know it's early) plus wondering how josh allen will continue to mature and i'm leaving out a couple guys. Not only have i never seen a year where there seemed like so many high-power rosters across the league, but the wealth of seemingly very high caliber qb talent is huge.

Leaving aside brady and rogers and just thinking of the new guard, I now have no idea who may be the surest bets to end up in the top four at the end of the year, but right now it looks like we have the potential for more spectacular qb play and competition across the league than we've ever seen, and by far.

• Like 1

i know everyone waits to see if rodgers will get a 2nd ring and if gb will finally get a perennially top roster to make it back to the big one

this year may be their best chance---mvs, who was already a great athlete has been on fire in preseason/camp with major improvements in every aspect of his game and apparently as a maturing person and excellent teammate, and is now one of the young leaders in the locker room...rodgers has effusive praise for his growth on and off the field...he should be a powerful #2 this year if these reports hold up

and then that backfield may be even more of a major strength---aaron jones is all that of course, but then a.j. dillon is a strong #2, and the big news is their 7th rd draft pick and #1 rated rb by pff, kylin hill, who also has been tearing it up and impressing the hell out of the staff so their big question is how many carries can they get their, as of now, #3 back

if the pack can keep their d tight, they have what it takes to finally get past what are new probably 6-8 nfc teams also with stacked rosters and expecting to go to the big one and will be considered a major disappoint if they don't...competition has never been tighter with more powerhouse teams imo in either conference

but this may be rodgers last and best shot at  #2

• Jumbo pinned this topic
On 8/28/2021 at 12:49 PM, OMacAttack said:

Is it just me or does Lawrence look like Sunshine from Remember the Titans?

i agree with d'angelo  hall (gmfb) about lawrence being the real deal  despite some media critics having already started questioning him, after the n.o. game especially

but as dhall also said, i'm not at all sold on urban myers in the pros---i've already seen some head-scratchers (or risks) in running the team and personnel moves and to have 4 out of 5 starting o-line sitting the entire time while your franchise guy is out there all that time and getting hit hard more than a couple times, that's just another 'what???'

running a pro team as a coach is vastly different than college (i know that's a 'duh') ) but i mean so much is very different and as we spurrier veterans remember, more big name collge coaches fail than succeed in the nfl (i haven't looked that up as a fact, but imma go ahead and say it anyway :D)

One of the national talk shows (may have been Bart Scott not sure) was talking about how Meyer runs practice and how some of the grown men weren't buying into his college style. Mentioned something about the coaches being too close to the action. The point he was making was that professionals don't need babysitters from what I heard. Just something that was in the background while I was working so I could have misheard it. I tend to agree Meyer may not be the solution Jacksonville hoped for.

I wonder who is going to sign K.J. Wright?  He is the only "Top 100" player unsigned.  There was some scuttle butt about the WFT signing him (unfounded to my knowledge), but no news.  He can definitely help a team out once he gets acclimated to a scheme.  He will be a welcome 2nd half of the season asset to whomever signs him. Will be curious where he ends up. Could be a difference maker this season, somewhere. 

You know with Cousins and Wentz being unvaccinated; what if they do have to miss time either due to Covid protocols or getting covid and that costs the Vikings and Colts games?  

That will be interesting to watch.  Also, Cam will find it hard latching on anywhere this year with his unvaccinated status.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

You know with Cousins and Wentz being unvaccinated; what if they do have to miss time either due to Covid protocols or getting covid and that costs the Vikings and Colts games?  

That will be interesting to watch.  Also, Cam will find it hard latching on anywhere this year with his unvaccinated status.

Just get the damn shot.  Good grief.  Silly millionaire children. (60+; I can say that). Very selfish stance as well. Despicable behavior, in my opinion mind you. 

How the heck does New England put Brian Hoyer on the practice squad? Dude has been in the league since 2009? The new rules got me confused.

As far as Foster goes cooleyfan you're right and as a fan I think he is an immediate upgrade to our defense.  I also feel like he's been walking the thin line since his trouble. Guess we will see if the Jets snap him up.