Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who’s on the WFT reserve/COVID-19 list (and when)--NOT a 'covid discussion' thread!

SB17

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Are some of yall serious about forfeiting the eagles game, or jus talking out loud out of frustration?

If anything we should play this game because one we could still win and two if it goes as many are expecting to it will be a black eye for the NFL and may force them to review their policy in not moving games anymore.

COVID isn't going anywhere, this could totally happen next year as well.

Has the league already ruled on changing the Covid protocols for vaccinated players? I've been hearing that it is a main topic of discussion at their annual meeting that is going on right now in Dallas

12 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Taylor is going to get killed. The NFL seems wildly unprepared for this. Wow. 

In fairness, this new surge, especially for vaccinated individuals, kindof caught everybody by surprise.

Something I keep telling some of my extended family who are growing very frustrated by the changing guidance: The guidance changes as the information and situation change.

I'm reminded of a lesson from one of my favorite HS teachers; an American History teacher.  She was talking about the way the US acted leading up to WWII, where we implemented a whole lot of laws/regulations which would have been great to keep us out of WWI, but had no effect on keeping us out of WWII. She said something like, "the measure were great, but they were 20 years late and for the wrong war." 

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

48 hours between negative tests.

I thought it was 2 negative tests in 24 hours....

I could be wrong.  But that's what I thought it was. 

21 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This game is going to be hilarious(ly bad)

If they somehow win this game, it would go down in lore in the same vane as the '82 Dallas scab game, when we were expected to lose because some number of players crossed the picket line in Dallas.  

That's one of the games which really put Gibbs on the map as a leader and coach.  (Well, that and they did end up winning the SB later that year.)

It would be an amazing feather in Ron's cap to be able to pull this one out.  

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I think he's saying only 20% of the TEAMS have been affected. Not 20% of our team.

Yep teams in the nfl

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

The thing is that they may not test negative because they have it, just a MUCH less intense version of it.  They would still test positive.

I think people need to start testing negative today or tomorrow morning at the latest in order for it to be 48 hours between negative tests.

They have to have 2 negative test over a 2 day period to be able to play -

so if they test negative Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday they can play

7 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

I maintain that this must have contributed to how flat we looked against the Cowboys. I think our guys were fighting COVID and they didn’t know it yet. 

What I’m going to believe you’re saying, is that if not for Covid, we would’ve destroyed Dallas and sent them and their benches back to Texas with a 38-13 loss :D 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

There are 53 members on the active roster, there are 18 players listed on the Practice Squad on the team's official roster.

There are 21 guys on the COVID list, not to mention guys who are injured.

I literally have no idea how we would come close to dressing 46 guys this week.  Every one of the guys who's injured would have to play, and we'd have to activate the entire practice squad.

We would basically be fielding the old 4th pre-season game roster in the best case.  

They might have to play this game with 40 or less active players.  

• Sad 2

30 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If they somehow win this game, it would go down in lore in the same vane as the '82 Dallas scab game, when we were expected to lose because some number of players crossed the picket line in Dallas.  

Not nitpicking but for others who may not have been alive, the scab game was 87.  Monday Nighter, 13-7 win led by Tony Robinson and company

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

I maintain that this must have contributed to how flat we looked against the Cowboys. I think our guys were fighting COVID and they didn’t know it yet. 

Cowboys kicked our asses and you really want to use Covid as an excuse when elite professional athletes had no symptoms?

• Thumb down 1

2 minutes ago, DEASkins said:

Cowboys kicked our asses and you really want to use Covid as an excuse when elite professional athletes had no symptoms?

Quiet! Your logic is not needed! Without Covid we blow them out 38-13, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it :D **** the Cowboys 

this line of thinking is what we need to get through this whole mess anyway :) 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Quiet! Your logic is not needed! Without Covid we blow them out 38-13, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it :D **** the Cowboys 

this line of thinking is what we need to get through this whole mess anyway :) 

😄 that's one way to view it I guess. I like the revenge path personally

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32877166/washington-football-team-covid-19-list-grows-18-players-8-more-adds

Washington Football Team's COVID-19 list grows to 21 players with 3 more additions Thursday

ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Football Team, already impacted by injuries, continues to add players to the reserve/COVID-19 list at a time when it can least afford to lose depth.

Washington has placed 17 players on the COVID list this week -- including eight on Wednesday and three more on Thursday -- bringing its total to 21 as it prepares to play the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday. Both teams are 6-7, with Washington holding the seventh and final playoff spot with four games remaining. Coach Ron Rivera said he has not heard any discussions about possibly canceling the game.

Of those 21 players, 11 were possible starters Sunday. Washington also has 13 players on injured reserve (two players are on both lists), leaving the team having to piece together a lineup for a game that impacts its playoff fate.

The latest additions Thursday included starting safety Kamren Curl and starting center Tyler Larsen. Keith Ismael, Larsen's backup at center, also was placed on the COVID list.

"We're in meetings and one of the guys told me someone else had it, it's like, 'Here's another one; there's another one,'" guard Brandon Scherff said Wednesday. "Like coach Rivera said, 'Next man up.' It's a big opportunity for them to show everyone what they've got."

Washington's strength has been its defensive line, but as of now that group is decimated. Of the top six linemen on the active roster, five are on the COVID list; only tackle Daron Payne remains fine.

Another lineman, end Montez Sweat, is also on the list but remains on injured reserve with a fractured jaw. Sweat would have played last week had he not tested positive for the coronavirus. He is eligible to come off the list Saturday, but that would require him to then play in a game for the first time since Oct. 31 without the benefit of a practice.

Several players could come off the list later this week, including defensive ends James Smith-Williams and Casey Toohill, both of whom missed Sunday's loss to Dallas. Defensive tackles Jonathan Allen and Tim Settle also could come off the list. All four players must test negative twice in a 48-hour span to return. Some of the affected players, including Allen and Settle, had not shown symptoms as of Tuesday night.

Washington signed a possible reinforcement for the defensive line Thursday, adding veteran Akeem Spence.

Rivera said he is not concerned for himself, despite the high number of positives. Rivera, who battled cancer last year, had said in August that he was immunocompromised and was frustrated with the pace of his players getting vaccinated.

But this week he said he already has received his booster shot and wears a mask when in a crowd or around other people. The current situation goes well beyond what they anticipated, Rivera said.

"Nobody expected this [Omicron] variant," he said. "Because it's spreading so quickly around the league right now, that almost feels like a matter of time. I don't think anybody expected it to be like this. Our thought might be that guys that hadn't gotten vaccinated might have come down with it at some point or another, not that it would be a crossover."

Rivera said he did not know for sure that the players testing positive have the new variant. Rather, he said he was speculating given the rapid spread.

Washington only has two healthy tight ends on the roster -- Ricky Seals-Jones and rookie John Bates. Its top corner, Kendall Fuller, will miss Sunday because he was placed on the COVID list. Two key offensive players, receiver Terry McLaurin and running back J.D. McKissic, are in the concussion protocol.

If McLaurin can't play, his replacement, Cam Sims, likely will be unavailable as well. He was put on the COVID list Wednesday. Receiver Curtis Samuel, who has been limited in his return the past three games after battling a groin injury, did not practice because of a hamstring issue.

"We've dealt with adversity all year," Washington quarterback Taylor Heinicke said. "We've had guys go down and step up and play; it's just more for this week. We have confidence in all our guys. It should be an interesting one Sunday, but I feel good about it."

Rivera said the staff focuses on teaching during the walk-through sessions to get new players caught up, although Washington should have four of its original five offensive linemen available.

"You take every able body you have and they all get opportunities to practice, get opportunities in meetings and walk-throughs to make sure they're brought up to speed," Rivera said.

And then they have to hope others don't test positive later in the week.

"I got vaccinated so I trust the vaccine," said rookie defensive end Shaka Toney, who, as of now, would make his second consecutive start Sunday. "I've seen guys come back fast from being vaccinated and their symptoms are perfectly normal. I won't say I'm not worried, but I trust my body; I have a good diet, I got vaccinated; I did the booster shot. You can't live life with fear. I will follow all the precautions and do my best to stay available."

29 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There are 53 members on the active roster, there are 18 players listed on the Practice Squad on the team's official roster.

There are 21 guys on the COVID list, not to mention guys who are injured.

I literally have no idea how we would come close to dressing 46 guys this week.  Every one of the guys who's injured would have to play, and we'd have to activate the entire practice squad.

We would basically be fielding the old 4th pre-season game roster in the best case.  

They might have to play this game with 40 or less active players.  

My guess is 4-6 people

will Come off the covid list before game time

1 minute ago, tomwvr said:

My guess is 4-6 people

will Come off the covid list before game time

Maybe.  

About 20% of vaccinated players come off the COVID list before the 10 day period.

That would be 4.

It really doesn't change the math.  

And it assumes nobody else goes onto the list before Sunday.  

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Has any coaches tested positive? The coaches are around the players; surprised some coaches haven’t tested positive.

That's a good point.  None reported yet

6 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

"I got vaccinated so I trust the vaccine," said rookie defensive end Shaka Toney, who, as of now, would make his second consecutive start Sunday. "I've seen guys come back fast from being vaccinated and their symptoms are perfectly normal. I won't say I'm not worried, but I trust my body; I have a good diet, I got vaccinated; I did the booster shot. You can't live life with fear. I will follow all the precautions and do my best to stay available

well said young man

• Like 7

My football /soccer team over here in England, Bolton Wanderers have had to postpone Saturdays game with Wycombe due to Covid. In my opinion there is no way the NFL should allow our game against the Eagles to be played, with only about 5 of the starters being available it's just unfair, the score for one could get totally out of control. I know the saying next man up but our OL could have a builder, Baker and candlestick maker playing alongside Sherff. 

NFL for once will you please use common sense, but I've got a feeling they won't.