Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: The worst head coach in every NFL team's history- Since 1970 Merger

88Comrade2000

Spurrier makes sense in light of him being brought in after the firing of Marty after one season, which is still viewed as the most-head scratching move of the Snyder era. And Spurrier gave the appearance of not really working that hard, and the optics of phoning in his resignation from the golf course were just terrible.

We have been very frustrated by the team's lack of success during Snyder's ownership, but the decade of the teens with Shanny and Gruden seem stable compared to the churn of the previous decade, with firing Norv and Marty, bringing back an old Gibbs, and then the hiring fiasco which gave us Zorn. I still think, behind Spurrier, Shanahan might be the most disappointing Snyder hire.

Edited by hail2skins

2 hours ago, clietas said:

Yeah no clue how Mike Tomlin makes this list. Pittsburgh had some real stinkers before Chuck Knoll arrived. 

Nixon, it seems, stank for both us and the Steelers. 

I think the article is more appropriately described as "The worst head coach for every NFL team since the author started following the game"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, clietas said:

Never realized Bobby Petrino was only in ATL for one season. 

Yeah no clue how Mike Tomlin makes this list. Pittsburgh had some real stinkers before Chuck Knoll arrived. 

Someone on FB,  pointed out to me that the author was using worst coaches since the 1970 merger.  Steelers have only had 3 coaches since then; so Tomlin is worst among Noll, Cowher and himself.

Here's the quote from the article:

>>>One note before we get to the list: We picked only coaches hired after the NFL-AFL merger in 1970. <<<

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2021 at 12:02 AM, Califan007 said:

Petitbon was probably worse.

Nah, he was given a HORRIBLE aging roster, and the injury bug was especially harsh that year. His biggest blunder was making Rod Dowhower the OC, and trying to convert to a WCO. Don't forget, Norvo the Clown won even fewer games the next year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Nah, he was given a HORRIBLE aging roster, and the injury bug was especially harsh that year. His biggest blunder was making Rod Dowhower the OC, and trying to convert to a WCO. Don't forget, Norvo the Clown won even fewer games the next year.

We lost to the Jets 3-0 lol...

2 weeks later we lost to the Cowboys 38-3.

We only scored more than 10 pts in 6 games.

It was a horrible season to be sure, but it was also the first season of the cap, and the Skins had had by far the biggest salary figures in the league - we were 40% over to start off, and JKC was the only owner who had voted against having a salary cap. We had a mass exodus of players. They should have fired Casserly with Petitbon; I blame him even more for that season. Petitbon won 4 games, but the next year Turner won only 3, which shows how awful the roster was.

• Like 2

• 88Comrade2000 changed the title to USA Today: The worst head coach in every NFL team's history- Since 1970 Merger

Neck and neck race between Spurrier and Shanny as the most disappointing coaches for me.  Spurrier was lazy, his ego got in the way.  I wonder if he'd have been better with a better roster.  IIRC, I don't think his schemes were that bad from an offensive perspective (I remember receivers being able to get open fairly often), he just didn't have the horses and he didn't try to hide that he wasn't working.  

Schottenheimer, IMO, could have been great if it wasn't for Danny's meddling ways.  Dude won everywhere he went (I know, not the big one), his teams were always competitive and well coached.  I think the mid 2000s look different for us if he was here.  He went to San Diego, had a 4-12 record but turned it around the year after and went 12-4.  That could have happened here.

As far as the worst?  Zorn.  Seemed like a good dude, but just in over his head.  

Spurrier was known for getting his QB killed by not having enough blockers....that really ruined Ramsey's growth since he was shellshocked by the time Gibbs got to him. I think if Spurrier had actually put in the effort and adapted, he could have been better. The fact he went 7-9 in his first season is shocking, but I think it had more to do with having Marvin Lewis as the DC. It also didn't help that he had Snyder micromanaging as the GM.

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Spurrier was bad but he never really had talent and I don't recall him ever really completely losing the locker room the way Zorn did.

Spurrier was part of the reason for that, his defense being “At least they’re cheap.” 😄