Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

5 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

i also love how Patterson cuts on grass like it’s artificial turf. Defenders just barely get an arm on him at the line. But when the blocking isn't good and he gets tackled, I cringe sometimes as he gets pile driven. Frightening. 

I wouldn’t worry too much about that. That was really only the case in the Ravens game playing behind our 2nd and 3rd string oline. I’m glad we got to see what he can do with our ones against other teams ones. That’s a better barometer. He’s compact and stout I’m not worried about durability with him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FuriousD said:

Ron & Co are big into strong character & work ethic guys and will take players of the board if they don't "fit with what we're looking for".  Ron doubled down on this after the draft and Mayhew again today.

It makes it very hard for fans and pundits to predict moves.  They have an up close window into these kids hearts and minds.  We don't...

KJ Wright has elite character and work ethic. He wants to be paid like an elite player, which at his age, is tough. He is also a pure 4-3 OLB so that complicates it some. He is an average athlete with great length and instincts so his lack of speed would cause him to struggle at ILB but not as bad outside

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Mayb e the force has returned to Luke and he wants to play again. That would be amazing.

The Vikings cut Everson Griffin. He'd make a nice rotation with Chase and Sweat. Might as well go all in on that line if we won't be using LBers.

and he called Kurt Cousins a bum, which is pretty funny.

Dude has been having major mental health issues. Doubt they'll pick him up with his baggage.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

I think when we’re in nickel that Collins assume the Mike responsibility but 10 yds off the line. If it’s a draw on 3rd & long or a keeper, he’s got to be the one getting to the runner. That’s my only reasoning why they don’t have a thumper Mike in the London Fletcher mold. So on run downs, Jamin stays in tight with Collins as the guy who picks up the shallow middle. Obviously depends on the offensive set and personnel, too. 

I'm no expert in formations, but this almost sounds like it might involve a 5-1-5 ?

12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm no expert in formations, but this almost sounds like it might involve a 5-1-5 ?

No, just your 4-2-5 set. Collins is not a Mike but will need to assume that responsibility if a QB takes off or  it’s a draw. The assumption is if you’re in Nickel it’s a passing down. But your 5-1-5 comment reminded me of a tweet someone made during the Bengals pre-season game (I think), that Ioniddis, Payne, Allen, Young, and Sweat were the 5-man front. I don’t recall who was behind them, though. Was it 1 LB and 5 DBs?  6 DBs?  IDK. But it wasn’t a goal line situation neither. Just mid-field. Curious. 

Edited by JaxJoe
  • Like 1

For those who are super nervous about only 4 LB's on the roster, thought I'd mention that the Pats only have 1 QB on their roster.

So it amounts to them, not currently having a single QB who has ever taken a snap in the NFL regular season.

I wonder if Bellichek is offering Ron a 6th rounder for Kyle Allen 😛

Actually, I'm guessing he wants someone with more experience, to better tutor Jones. And Newton wasn't the guy for that job.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

In the presser with Ron and Mayhew, he said that Apke is the best special teams player in the league... a "premium player" and spouted off a bunch of mancrush quotes.  Trapke aint going anywhere.

If there's room for a 7th String Wide Receiver who is average or below average at both receiving and kick returning, then there is most certainly room for the best STer in the league.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

For those who are super nervous about only 4 LB's on the roster, thought I'd mention that the Pats only have 1 QB on their roster.

So it amounts to them, not currently having a single QB who has ever taken a snap in the NFL regular season.

I wonder if Bellichek is offering Ron a 6th rounder for Kyle Allen 😛

Actually, I'm guessing he wants someone with more experience, to better tutor Jones. And Newton wasn't the guy for that job.

Did they cut Hoyer and Stidham?

6 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Which is crazy given the pedigrees of Rivera and Del Rio. Is it arrogance that they can do more with less??

I might say that they do have some arrogance in their belief of our DL, which is being touted a the best ever in the NFL right now, with Sweat and Young aiming at the sack record for a duo.

Sure that's fine to have a bar that high, but that also sounds ****y and could turns back on us heavy if they don't deliver.

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

This team woefully mismanaged the linebacker situation. Again. 

I like Jamin. So I’m not going to be too aggressive here. But this team has consistently missed at LB. 

I agree on the fact that we could have been better at bringing in other LBs for the training camps. Though I didn't pay much attention to the FA LBs that where available and at which price this offseason.

But you have to wonder if it's better to keep players that aren't game ready just for the sake of having 5/6 LBs on the roster?

Which makes me wonder about that Reyes kid. I love the story, I get the kid is fighting had and is good at blocking, but he's far from being ready, and stashing him on the roster because you're afraid he might just leave elsewhere if you put him on the PS also removes a spot from someone that is more game ready than Reyes.

3 hours ago, petey hodge said:

In the presser with Ron and Mayhew, he said that Apke is the best special teams player in the league... a "premium player" and spouted off a bunch of mancrush quotes.  Trapke aint going anywhere.

He called Apke an "ace" and said that this kind of guy was hard to find. So it's not much as a surprise that the guy is still around.

Rosters have place for LS, so this shouldn't come up as a surprise that rosters have places for ST aces too.

• Thanks 1

I think it's fantastic that we are focussing on special teams for a change. As someone said earlier, guys like Apke and Everett hopefully won't see the field in their designated positions but field position is such a key to winning it's great that we are using a couple of spots to get the best coverage/gunners we can. (Not sure what position they actually play on teams!).

Having said that, let's get rid of Hopkins now. There are several young promising kickers out there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FuriousD said:

Ron & Co are big into strong character & work ethic guys and will take players of the board if they don't "fit with what we're looking for".  Ron doubled down on this after the draft and Mayhew again today.

It makes it very hard for fans and pundits to predict moves.  They have an up close window into these kids hearts and minds.  We don't...

Yeah I get all that. Are you saying KJ Wright is not the kind of guy RR wants?  I was thinking it was a money thing.  

8 hours ago, moondog said:

One of the biggest preseason mysteries is that Jamin has almost exclusively played in 3 LB defenses. In nickel and packages with 2 LBers it’s mostly been Boston and Holcomb. Which seems to be a complete 180 from what we expected when drafting him and your statement. We’ll see soon enough but it’s been a bit confusing how we’ve chosen to deploy Davis so far. 

And I’ll echo what KDawg has said. My mind is kind of blown at how we all know LB was a massive problem last year and Ron said as much too. As of this moment, we invested in a raw 1st rounder there, asked him to play a LB role that is probably the biggest adjustment for him, he doesn’t seem ready to play at a 1st round level yet and outside of him we signed a few cuttable castoff types that has resulted in our LB depth somehow looking worse than last year. 

My mind is kinda blown at this so I’ll try to be optimistic about a few things. Holcomb showed continuous growth as a rookie and last year and by all accounts is still on that path. He’s not an all-star but seems to be growing into a solid starting level three down backer. He’s also been a durable player as has Bostic. For the love of Tanya Snyder, can people finally stop with the Collins at LBer talk? The dude DROPPED weight, has admitted he didn’t buy in at first and struggled last year, but is all in now and looks back to being an absolute friggen missile at SS which would be huge for us. IF we are going to be a mostly 2LBer defense with extra secondary players that provide quality near the LOS (Collins/Curl) then I think that minimizes the hole we left ourselves in once again at LBer and is a reason for less depth and attention there. 

That being said, I’m still pretty down about our lack of effort this offseason to address the position group (zero outside of Davis) because we REALLY need a starting quality guy that plays downhill and can punish RB’s through the Dline. We knew this and so far it seems still are completely devoid of that player. 

I would wait and see how Davis is used in the first few games before judging his use in the preseason. They have him learning the most complicated position on our defense so they could have been bringing him along slowly with less packages- since any package he's in he'll need to know the entire defense.

My comments were based on ability, though, and not necessarily how he's been used so far. You're right. Davis not being in the nickel package midway through the season would concern me.

I agree more could have been done at LB this offseason. In the draft, a mid round pick on Derrick Barnes(Lions) or Jabril Cox(Cowboys) would have really added to that room. I'd expect us to go back to that well in the draft next year. 

• Like 1