Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yooo bring Weaver in TODAY!!  I targeted this guy for the Cardinals in the 2020 ES Mock Draft.  Awesome overachiever who loves to tackle and has elite level play recognition.  Not the most physically gifted but smart and hard working.  A perfect backup for our LBs and addition to our special teams.  Fits the mentality Rivera is trying to create.

Draft profile

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/evan-weaver/32005745-4161-3040-b7a3-a0ec6d08c7b7

Highlights

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I've gone back over them to try and see what I'm missing multiple times, and I just don't think they're good.  IMO Logan Thomas plays with a functionally tiny catch radius and is allergic to making plays off his frame in traffic, and he is a lazy blocker with disappointing physicality.  I'm a Tech fan who actually enjoyed watching him play QB, I want to believe in Thomas, and I just can't see it.  I think John Bates is already better than him, especially as a run blocker, and I think Reyes is already way tougher and more physical than Thomas and his ceiling absolutely dwarfs his.

IMO, we have two legitimately exciting TE prospects on the roster now, and I'm hoping Logan Thomas doesn't get in their way.  To me he's a placeholder until our much better options are ready to go.  And to me, the reason we're not looking at John Bates in the same way we're looking at Dyami Brown, Ben St Juste, Sam Cosmi, and Jamin Davis is because we are under the misconception that Logan Thomas is actually good and he's in the way of Bates playing a bigger role right away.

Bates over Thomas?

No.

All we've seen is a great pre-season of a day 3 pick. Still a day 3 pick. 

And yes, obviously Thomas is a short-term solution and his contract lines up with those expectations. By the end of his contract, it will be evident if Bates is a #1 and you give him a second contract. 

We saw Logan Paulsen on the field when he was a third TE. I'm not worried about Thomas 'blocking' anyone. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Yeah Dallas is so scary good 😌.  They’ve even looked horrible in preseason.  People that are fans of this franchise love praising Dallas.  It makes no sense especially when they don’t deserve it.

Why on Earth would you think I love praising the Dallas Cowboys?  What a bizarre thing to say. 

I'm sticking with the belief that our team is simply not as good as a lot of fans and posters think we are.  And with a much tougher schedule and Dallas with Dak I just see them as the front runner even with MM running the team. I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings but it's what I believe.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

With Moreland being cut, I'm not as confident in our depth at CB. After Fuller and Jackson, I like St. Juste, but he is a rookie. Moreland brought experience and toughness to the field. Sure, I like McTyer, and I know McCain can slide over to corner...but Moreland seemed like stabilizing piece in the secondary. I didn't worry when he was on the field.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think the roster status of players actually change as much as the reporters think it does.  Again, I could be totally wrong, but I don't think Gandy-Golden was ever in danger of getting cut barring serious injury. 

I don't think they are saying it changes a heck of lot.  But there are certain battles for certain spots.  Rivera has talked about it plenty.  As we know, camp isn't a charade where everything is all decided before the preseason, some battles exist.   

As for AGG, I didn't hear a lot of talk outside of the team didn't think much of his first season both as to the preseason and his spot plays during the season and wanted to see more from him. 

Conversely, I think Hemingway was always on the bubble, but the beat reporters saw him practicing with the second team a lot and assumed that meant he was the likeliest candidate for the back up job.  I think that Bates and Reyes were always the two the staff intended to keep, and to prove the point Reyes got a concussion too and that didn't get him cut, despite him ostensibly being further away from contributing.

I think if the idea is to take a dig at the reporters, I don't think the obscure and bold shots in the dark they took is the way to do it.  If so, I'd extend that same thought process to Patterson, Apke or a dude like McTyer who they touted as serious contenders for roster sports for quite some time now.   Has the consensus been here for months that Apke makes the team or McTyer?  Smith-Williams is slam dunk, etc over the new draft picks?    They've taken some relatively bold shots on players and will see what they got right or wrong. 

Now if they got a big one wrong like hearing that Dyami Brown is slam dunk making it but is actually on the bubble -- that's a big miss. Fans hardly knew who Hemingway was.  He wasn't a big name.  He seemed to build momentum in camp out of nowhere then lost it.  They reported it that way in the process.  No biggie to me, no big miss.   That stuff happens every camp.  

Bates was always a slam dunk to them to make the roster.  Most albeit not all thought ditto Reyes.  The question was do they keep a 4th TE?   Right now the feeling is no but there is a chance they do.  Also the thought is even though Reyes is the third guy making it, he likely won't get much playing time initially but they are scared of losing him because of his raw ability.  If there is a 4th TE now, the thought is probably Seals-Jones but most don't think they go with 4 TEs, will see.  

Hence my comment about the beat reporters vastly overselling their ability to determine what the coaches are thinking about the roster form observing the way they have the players practice. 

I don't find the beat reporters overselling it.   They beat like the drum that the team hasn't even decided yet what they are doing at every spot (obviously that changes today).

In general, it somewhat depends on the reporter though.  Keim typically says almost nothing about player movement unless he hears it from multiple people in the building but whatever he hears can change. 

I don't tend to kill reporters like Keim if they get things 95% right for the 5% they get wrong in part because in my profession I can be a source myself to the press, i get the process to an extent.  I got inside information that my clients at times are OK with me sharing.  But things change sometimes and on rare occasion I get deceived.   Rare being the operative word.  It makes me look bad to the reporter if I am dead wrong, and they won't keep going back to me.   Also, good reporters like Keim hate being wrong because it destroys their credibility.   

So I noticed guys like Keim got hammered on the off chance they get something wrong and my thought always gravitates towards you know I'd rather know the 95% times they get it right versus rather not knowing just because the 5% times they'll get it wrong.   Plus the reason why Keim rarely gets it wrong is because as Cooley jokes he's a bit chicken and tries to talk to multiple people before disclosing it, he joked that with Keim its 7 sources. 

Speaking for myself, I'd rather know from Keim that they are interested in Curtis Samuel before FA than not knowing.  Or that they liked Antonio Gibson before the draft.   I love the inside-gossip stuff, It doesn't bother me the rare times they are wrong and I've followed some of these reporters for 5-15 years so I know who is almost always right versus who is just running with one source and can be wrong too many times for my liking, etc.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Wonder what Moreland’s vaccination status was. 

Good point.  McTyer could be interesting.  Some covering the team have been building him up for awhile as a dude who can make Moreland expendable but then McTyer got a concussion.  Standig has been musing lately in his podcasts about whether Moreland would be trade bait.  Wondered if they tried and failed?

This release somewhat surprised me.  But Standig of late braced me for it as a possibility. 

34 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Logan Thomas separates, gets open, has great hands in traffic and can block a little. I’m surprised you don’t see it with him. He’s a top 10 TE in the league.

He looked great in camp to my eyes.  If he stays healthy, i think he will have a monster season. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That said, I do think he's a worthy prospect, and I much prefer they keep Milne to keeping Cam Sims and especially DeAndre Carter.  If I were the HC, I would not cut Milne.  Carter would be long gone before I'd cut Milne. 

Same with me.  If some of the beat reporters are right, Milne has a shot but much of that depends on whether they keep 7 receivers.   Will see.  If it were me, Milne would be #6, AGG #7.

Like you, neither dude i was in love with before the draft.  With AGG, I waffled on him before that draft and there were a ton of receivers i liked over him.  As for Milne, he was just one my late darkhorse WR considerations, I talked about him a little but i didn't pound the table for him. 

I do like Milne over AGG for reasons I expressed but I wouldn't go to Vegas and bet on either dude becoming a star. 😀 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

As a JMU guy, I’m bummed about this.  I understand it, but still bummed.

Yep, same here.  He was always average, but I figured getting average play out of a 7th round selection is a win.

I'm not second guessing this staff on the defensive side of the ball at this stage so what must be must be.

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Does this mean Forrest makes it?

Probably.  Depends though on how many safeties they take though.   Most who I follow didn't think Reaves would make it so that was no surprise to me.  Moreland was somewhat of a surprise for me but like I said Standig seem to focus on him of late as a dude who might not be here so that braced me a little. 

Also, its been said that they are looking at other roster cuts too so a move here and there might be dictated by that.