Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

17 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Totally unaware of this.  Did this come about with Covid expansion of the squad or always?  Figured always if another team is going to pluck someone and put on their 53, we'd have to do the same to keep them?  Now you are saying that 4 of our choice aren't....um...pluckable at all week in and out for the season?

Protection is only from Tue deadline to gametime

If some team wants a guy on your practice squad, they can get him.

"Protection" only means that after Tue deadline, if you want to gameplan around calling a guy up for game day, you can rest assured you can, but it is not a "lock" that guarantees that a dude is un-poachable.

If team X wants a guy, they will just take him on Monday

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

It sounds like Apke has been showing out in practice. I need to see it against another team on GameDay, but if he can just be a serviceable DB backup, that will compliment his value on ST very well. I hope to see him make a play or two against Baltimore. 

(If he doesn't show up with the same ability on GameDay, I prefer one of the DBs who has shown they can already)

It sounds like he might surprise me from the practice reports though. 

Apke seems to be trending the right direction… he’s definitely making the bubble conversation interesting.

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Serious contender? Maybe not. But I’m not sure how you don’t think isn’t at least a possible playoff team. That’s a bizarre take. 

Yeah the PS protection doesn’t really let you stop a team from grabbing someone on your PS entirely. It just stops them from doing it right before game day if you’re worried you might need to activate a player at a particular position due to injury or something. 

10 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Updated Roster projection:

Special Teams (3):

1). Way

2). Hopkins

3). Cheeseman

Offense (25):

QB(3):

4). Fitz

5). Heineke

6). Allen

RB(4):

7). Gibson

8). JD

9). Patterson

10). Barber

TE(3):

11). Thomas

12). Bates

13). Reyes (if concussion persists, could be on IR and this would be Ricky Seals Jones instead)

O-line(9):

14). Leno

15). Flowers

16). Rouiller

17). Scherff

18). Cosmi

19). Lucas

20). Schweitzer

21). Larson

22). Charles

WR(6):

23). Terry

24). Samuel

25). Brown

26). Humphries

27). AGG

28). Milne

Defense (25):

D-Line (9):

29). Chase

30). Allen

31). Payne

32). Sweat

33). Ion

34). Settle

35). Smith-Williams

36). Bradley-King

37). Toney

LB (5):

38). Holcombe

39). Bostic

40). Davis

41). Hudson

42). Mayo

CB (6):

43). Fuller

44). Jackson

45). St. Juste

46). Mooreland

47). McTyer

48). Apke

S (5):

49). Kurl

50). Collins

51). McCain

52).  Everett

53). Forrest

Decided to go with 5 LB(s) because Curl and Collins play in the box so much.  I know I cut Cam Sims, but I've never been a fan, and the staff cut him last year too at the end of the pre-season.  They go with the more upside play of AGG.  They could easily cut Apke and go with Carter as a full-time returner.  Larson makes it over Ishmael who hasn't unseated him as the backup center.

I would stash AGG on the PS and keep Carter to return punts...AGG seems like a dime a dozen receiver to me. Go with 5 WR's and keep Seals - Jones as a flex WR/TE. Thats just whatI would do.

I think the 53rd man, as it were, is one of these 3 positions…

7th WR (Assuming Carter or Milne is the punt returner. Do you keep Gandy-Golden as the 7th?)

9th DL (Assuming JSW and WBK are the primary backups at DE. Do you keep someone like Toney? Toohill? Lawrence?)

11th DB (Assuming Moreland and McTyer are the 4th and 5th CBs, and we keep 5 safeties. Do you keep a 6th CB like Apke? Johnson? Roberts?)

This is assuming we’re keeping at least 3 QBs, 4 RBs, 6 WRs, 3 TEs, 9 OLs, 8 DLs, 6 LBs, 10 DBs, and 3 ST. I could be wrong on 4 RBs but at this point I think we’d all agree Patterson has made the team and I don’t see them cutting any of the other three. I could see only 5 LBs after cut down day, but I don’t think that would be a long term thing - it would be because we’re trying to nab a 6th one from another team. 

1 hour ago, duffy said:

The one thing he's got ahead of some of those guys is his position flexibility 

Roberts can also play S and can play slot.  So in that instance, I’d say Roberts is more versatile on defense.  But Apke May better on coverage teams.

I think they’ll go with 11 DBs with Apke, Roberts, Reaves, and Johnson looking at that spot (maybe in that order).

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Doesn't have to be a Turner guy either.   Gribble supposedly does the drafting with Rivera and Mayhew and Hurney overseeing him.  I doubt the coaches have their stamp on every pick in a big way.   But sometimes you hear about coaches really digging certain plays and making cases for them.  

No idea who Gribble was, had to look him up.  Connections with prior front office yet he somehow survived the purge.

If Gribble is the guy in charge of this draft, and it pans out, then I am extremely impressed and begin to question how much credit we were giving to whom in the past.

We've also got so much FO experience.  3 former GM's work in the FO.  It's wild.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

No idea who Gribble was, had to look him up.  Connections with prior front office yet he somehow survived the purge.

If Gribble is the guy in charge of this draft, and it pans out, then I am extremely impressed and begin to question how much credit we were giving to whom in the past.

We've also got so much FO experience.  3 former GM's work in the FO.  It's wild.

He was Kyle Smith's chosen guy to run college scouting the previous draft, too.  I noticed that Rivera kept him after Kyle's ouster while letting some others go and touted him a couple of times in interviews.  I am guessing part of their comfort in letting Kyle go was about keeping Gribble. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Roberts too? I haven't heard anything on him this summer...

Me neither, but they brought him in to help beef up the secondary so you have to figure he automatically has a leg up on their direct competition.

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

Another reason to keep dax over AH.

I think Ryan personally vouched for him so I'd rather bring in someone Fitz is comfortable with enough to put his word out there.

30 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Oh please. Dallas has made the playoffs 10 times since winning Super Bowl XXX -- 1996, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2014, 2016 and 2018 -- but has not advanced past the divisional round. Yet the media always has them as the team to beat.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

My problem with him is what's his value in the red zone? We already have a glut of shifty WR with good hands and speed who can run good routes so how much do we really need Milne in the passing game? I'm more partial to keeping a couple (or one) guy who can excel in the red zone. Big, Good hands... that's basically what made AGG so appealing at the draft. Outside of him and Cam, we don't have another receiver over 6'1. 

I do think you can never have enough WRs who can seperate.   I liked a lot of Wrs in that draft, AGG I wasn't blown away with back then. It doesn't mean I am right or wrong but I was really on the fence about him and still am.  It's not that I am swooning over Milne.   But everything being equal, I tend to sour on WRs who aren't hot at seperating and prefer WRs who have that skill. 

Or more on point I dig WRs who do multiple things well.  I am not saying AGG can't be that guy but i am a cynic until I see it from him.  If it was a WR i loved from a draft like for example Elijah Moore this year, I tend to give leeway before I see it because I am already bought in.  I haven't really fully bought into AGG.  At first i didn't like him when watching his Liberty games but didn't hate him either, then I watched some more and talked myself into him.  But overall I waffled on him.  And I am still doing it.  

For me, I think the more elusive quality is a player who can seperate.    On this team, Dyami and Terry and Milne (if he makes the team) are 6 foot plus.  Our TEs are tall. Cam as you mentioned is tall.  I think they can make plays in the red zone well.   AGG being tall is good but it doesn't move me that much.  Yeah some of the smaller receivers here have failed but ditto plenty of the bigger ones, too.  Terrell Pryor was tall.  Ditto Westbrook.  Gardner.  M.Kelly.  D. Thomas.  Robert Davis. Marko Mitchell. Hankerson -- another good "contested catch guy from college".  On and on. 

I've gotten somewhat turned off to college prospects that are mostly about being contested catch guys but struggle to seperate based on seeing who have succeed in the NFL.  Maybe I am over compensating after liking Doctson and to a lesser extent Treadwell that draft.   Both failed.  Don't get me wrong, I love a Wr who can make contested catches.  Our own Terry is good at it.  But he can do so much more than just that.    I want multiple tools.

My issue with Gandy-Golden is yes he can leap for a ball in the air but what else can he do?  Rewatching him, he's really good on slants and quick outs, too.  But overall, I don't think much of his releases or seperation skills.  He looks a bit stiff to me in and out of his breaks.   His best move IMO you see on slants and shallow crossing routes.  He does a quick fake like he's headed out then quickly turns in.  But other than that to my eyes he doesn't have many moves to seperate. 

And heck Mine looks also a bit stiff to me too but not as stiff as AGG.  I never bothered to do an apples to apples physical comparison until now.  So I just did.  The numbers somewhat speak to how they play:

Milne with the better flexibility numbers,  Ranks above average on that front by player profile -- 69% percentile.  4.19 20 yard shuttle.  3 cone 6.85.  They rate AGG poorly in agility --4% percentile.   7.33 cone.  4.55 20 yard shuttle.   AGG is taller, can jump higher, has longer arms.  

I don't really see Milne as shifty.  He's shiftier than AGG but the bar is low on that front.   But his hands to me are better than good.  They are great.  He's decent at seperating.   As Terry pointed out today, he can be savvy with his releases but IMO he has work to do on that front.  He's not exactly a midget.  He's 6" or  6 "1 depending on the web site.   He has great body control IMO and can make some killer catches.  He can run block really well.  AGG, too but IMO Milne is better.  He can play outside, inside, return kicks.  

I am not down on AGG.  I am not up either.  My key thing is to see him flash a bit more.  I'd be cool with him making the roster.  But I'd go Milne over him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

I can understand the Giants not playing Jones. They're probably (correctly) worried about him getting murdered behind that OL. Maybe they figure if they keep him bubble wrapped until the start of the season they'll at least get a few meaningful games out of him before a season ending injury.

• Haha 2

So this year’s man crush is Paterson and Milne. I think Paterson can be serviceable and playing rb is an easier transition but he still was an undrafted free agent and played at a small school. 

To me Milne is not a prototypical slot receiver. He is better suited on the outside which is why I think we keep Cam and AGG to backup Terry and Dyami. Samuels can play the slot but if we cut Carter only Humphries is our backup which is why I think he makes it over Milne. 

Remember if another team signs a guy off our PS they need to put him on their 53. I’m just a little leery about trusting a rookie with handling all punt return duties. At least Carter has been in the league a few years. 

1 hour ago, terpfan said:

I think the 53rd man, as it were, is one of these 3 positions…

7th WR (Assuming Carter or Milne is the punt returner. Do you keep Gandy-Golden as the 7th?)

9th DL (Assuming JSW and WBK are the primary backups at DE. Do you keep someone like Toney? Toohill? Lawrence?)

11th DB (Assuming Moreland and McTyer are the 4th and 5th CBs, and we keep 5 safeties. Do you keep a 6th CB like Apke? Johnson? Roberts?)

This is assuming we’re keeping at least 3 QBs, 4 RBs, 6 WRs, 3 TEs, 9 OLs, 8 DLs, 6 LBs, 10 DBs, and 3 ST. I could be wrong on 4 RBs but at this point I think we’d all agree Patterson has made the team and I don’t see them cutting any of the other three. I could see only 5 LBs after cut down day, but I don’t think that would be a long term thing - it would be because we’re trying to nab a 6th one from another team. 

I’d add Wise (maybe even Rotimi - don’t know much about him, had a killer pass rush last game) to your 9 DL possibility.  I’m rooting for Toney, but just haven’t seen or heard much in the way of positives… we’ll see.

I could actually see them going with 6 corners and 4 safeties - Curl, Collins, McCain and Everett.  Fuller and Apke* can serve as emergency safeties (to finish a game, otherwise we call up Forrest or Reaves if someone gets injured).

* A couple weeks ago I thought Apke way on the outside looking in for sure (only kept around to this point because of ST play), but apparently he’s getting a fair bit of recognition playing corner (color me shocked).

12 hours ago, mhd24 said:

TE(3):

11). Thomas

12). Bates

13). Reyes (if concussion persists, could be on IR and this would be Ricky Seals Jones instead)

I have a feeling they are going to put (hide) Reyes on IR so they don't lose him on the practice squad. Ricky Seals Jones will be the 3rd TE.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RVAskins said:

I have a feeling they are going to put (hide) Reyes on IR so they don't lose him on the practice squad. Ricky Seals Jones will be the 3rd TE.

This is the best plan.. need a vet in case Logan misses any time...Reyes needs time.

• Like 1