Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

Catching up with some Keim podcasts

He said among things that players need to work on.  I get the impression with him that this is stuff he's heard versus purely his own observations

AGG -- struggles with his releases, so struggles with press, which was noticeable in the game against NE.  

Reyes:  needs to work on extending his hands, improving his catch radius, and just his hands in genereal.  But works like a dog and is on it.

He seems to be giving hints here and there that Milne has a chance.  Good at seperating, good blocker. 

Wonder if its AGG versus Milne or both make it?  

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Long way to go still, but I'm not sure Cam Sims makes the roster.

I'd be stunned if he doesn't.  Beat guys (I presume they are hearing this from the team) say Cam is just about a lock.  He was playing with the 1's in a bunch of the practices I watched.  Then you add Ryan has professed he likes throwing to tall receivers.  And you could see why in practice -- his throws can sail. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Right now I'd say Milne is almost a lock to make it IF he continues his current trajectory...

Receivers:

McLaurin

Samuel

Brown

Humphries

Milne (also return candidate)

Last spot, assuming we keep 6 (we will), is down to utility/potential. So Carter, Steven Sims, Cam Sims, Wright.

Wright isn't explosive enough and doesn't have a high ceiling.

Steven Sims has to demonstrate better hands. If he's doing it in practice he may be a sleeper to make the roster.

Carter looks the best as a return man of the group thus far.

Cam Sims is the trickiest one. 

If I were a betting man... right now... In this instance? I think Steven Sims is the 6th receiver.

Cam Sims is a lock. He's the biggest aggressive WR, who excels at jump balls. He's the clear X for when Samuels is moved to slot.

I agree the 6th man has got to be a utility guy. That's Milne (who they're using on teams), S Sims and Carter. It's got to be one of those 3 as the 6th.

• Like 2

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Cam Sims is a lock. He's the biggest aggressive WR, who excels at jump balls. He's the clear X for when Samuels is moved to slot.

I agree the 6th man has got to be a utility guy. That's Milne (who they're using on teams), S Sims and Carter. It's got to be one of those 3 as the 6th.

I just don't see what everyone else does with Cam.

I like him better than S. Sims, Wright and Carter, though. So I wouldn't argue with him making the roster. But lock is strange.

I didn't think he was that great last year, either. Though I could see some intrigue based on his massively improved performance last year versus prior seasons.

I'd be fine with him on the roster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Right now I'd say Milne is almost a lock to make it IF he continues his current trajectory...

Milne more of a lock than Cam Sims? Might be reading too much into a couple of tweets…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t read into tweets. 

So it sounds like this isn’t a prediction, so much as your own preference? Because I haven’t seen anything to indicate Cam Sims is even on the bubble. If you have, I’d like to see it. 

4 minutes ago, terpfan said:

So it sounds like this isn’t a prediction, so much as your own preference? Because I haven’t seen anything to indicate Cam Sims is even on the bubble. If you have, I’d like to see it. 

It’s both. 

It’s not a final prediction. It’s based on what I’ve seen with my eyes using past seasons, collegiate tape and preseason. 

It can change Friday.

I’m not there daily.

42 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I like him better than S. Sims, Wright and Carter, though. So I wouldn't argue with him making the roster. But lock is strange.

I didn't think he was that great last year, either. Though I could see some intrigue based on his massively improved performance last year versus prior seasons.

A coach said he was the glue guy of the receiver room, really turned it on last year and took the next step as a professional. 

Can't remember the exact quote, but it was pretty clear he had his spot on the roster. 

7 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

A coach said he was the glue guy of the receiver room, really turned it on last year and took the next step as a professional. 

Can't remember the exact quote, but it was pretty clear he had his spot on the roster. 

He also started the first preseason game. That seems like a pretty good indication that he’s in good shape to make the team. 

Unrelated, and not sure if this is the place for it, but apparently Christian Darrisaw and Teven Jenkins are both already dealing with injuries. Feeling a bit better about taking Cosmi in the second at the moment. 

Edited by terpfan
  • Like 3

Yeah the Cam Sims thing is a bit of a mystery to me as well.

I think the main thing he really has going for him is his size. He's not very fast or quick, he doesn't run very precise routes so he rarely gets good separation (which IMO is why his catches tend to be contested often), his hands are on and off...he'll make a highlight catch and then drop a routine pass. Though one thing he does seem pretty decent at is finding soft spots in zones at times.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he made the team, especially with reports that Fitz likes him, but IMO he's more of a 5th or 6th WR than a 2nd.

As far as Milne vs Cam I'd say it's more about upside and potential. I think Cam Sims is who he is by now and that's unlikely to change much, but Milne is mostly unknown, though it seems that he has impressed so far at camp.

Edited by mistertim

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I doubt it. He's slow, been on the team for 3 years and only started after a bunch of other guys failed or were hurt. At FS he'd have to beat out McCain, Curl, Everett (who's the ST captain and a better FS) and the rookie Forrest. 

If we were a relay track team, I'd agree with you, but Reaves is better at the game of football than guys like Apke or the other corner on that list.

14 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Dumb question but what is nfl.net?

I googled it and it redirects to nfl.com.

There's nothing listed for nfl network. 

Do you have a link?

um, glitch in the matrix

nfl network

though on my planet it was called nfl.net

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

The one reason I'd give it to Cam over the other 3 is because you don't find many 6ft 5inch receivers in the league. The height difference alone is what makes him a lock for 6th receiver.

Steve sims is 5'10"

Deandra Carter is 5'8"

and then you have Isaiah who does clock in at 6'2" but I haven't seen anything that I would wright home about 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

If we were a relay track team, I'd agree with you, but Reaves is better at the game of football than guys like Apke or the other corner on that list.

Reaves is a FS and no, he is not good at the game of football. Not professionally. 

Apke is at CB and having a good camp. They are not competing with each other.

So, do you want Reaves over McCain, Curl, Everette (ST Captain) or Forrest?

Apke is competing against Danny Johnson (not a KR anymore) and Akpe is a really good gunner.

17 minutes ago, Bantu said:

I think Cam Sims is a LOCK to make the team, but I understand what KDawg is saying. Would not surprise me one bit if the 3 wide sets as the season progresses has Dyami Brown replacing Sims.

I think it also depends on the situation. If it's in the red zone and they want a big body for potential jump balls then I could see Sims getting the nod. If it's not and they want the ability to stretch the field more with speed, then a 3 WR set of McLaurin, Samuel and Brown would be potentially deadly.

16 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

They're actually the same height 🤣

Anthony Mix occupies his own separate spacetime that is distinct from everyone else's. In there he's infinitely tall.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don't see it either.   But he appears to be one of the most popular players on the team in the locker room judging from the body language of the team when he does something good.  And I think I read he is considered one of the best ST players and that he's our best gunner.

Like you, I don't see a lot of upside with him, but he seems to be filling a short term role well enough to push all but one of Sims Jr, Milne, AGG, and Carter off the roster.

Personally, I hope AGG makes it.  IMO he has the most long term upside of the guys fighting for the last spot.  But he also doesn't seem to have taken hold of a role and really claimed it for his own.  Super smart and nice kid, part of me has always wondered if his broad curiosity and range of talents made him a bad fit for the culture of the NFL.  I'm hoping that's not the case, because I've never liked the cult-like culture of the NFL, where they require players who are smart, but not too smart.

• Like 2