Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

The Athletic has an article about the WR battle.

Thinks one of AGG or DeAndre Carter make the team.  But Steve Sims is pushing into the mix.

They suspect Milne, Harmon, Wright, Brown are more practice squad guys.  Harmon looks the best of these 4, but he's not a returner on special teams.

They mention a few times that several of these guys in previous years alone would be training camp stories and make the team.  But the overall WR talent is just better.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Otis Wonsley Posse said:

What is Bob’s your uncle? Def not Southern

"Bob's your uncle" is a British saying that means, "you're set", or "you're ready", or "everything's fine".

I think it originated in the 17th or 18th century, when some politician appointed his uncle (Bob?) to a position of power. There was public uproar over the blatant nepotism and the saying started off as a joke, meaning favouritism. Over the years the meaning has changed to what it is now.

A jokey way of saying it is also 'Robert's your dad's brother" or "Bob's your unc".

Edited by London Kev
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Thinks one of AGG or DeAndre Carter make the team.  But Steve Sims is pushing into the mix.

They suspect Milne, Harmon, Wright, Brown are more practice squad guys.  Harmon looks the best of these 4, but he's not a returner on special teams.

They mention a few times that several of these guys in previous years alone would be training camp stories and make the team.  But the overall WR talent is just better.

NO WAY Dyami Brown gets put on the practice squad...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, wit33 said:

I don’t think it’s a huge leap at all to project Mcclaurin being an elite WR and maybe this year.  Would be great value for the team if it were take place this season at his current pay. Haven’t watched and thought he was a game breaker type guy just yet, but that’s just a nuanced personal opinion. It appears you’re a bit higher on what we’ve seen to date, but both feel he has a good chance to hit that elite tier.  

Him being doubled teamed isn’t just based on him being elite or garnering needed attention, he’s been the only weapon and the offense has flowed throw him. Smart for a team to give extra attention his way. Let’s see if he can go and get 200 when a team decides to take away Samuel and the run game this year or something. 

I agree his ceiling of impact has been hindered due to QB play. This is separate from production, as I believe he’s been fortunate to be in Washington from statistical standpoint, due to no one to fight for touches with and a game plan designed to keep you involved each week. With that said, Bill Callahan took touches away his rookie year, but helped produce an elite per catch average of 15.8 yards. Last years 12.9 yards per catch was no bueno and not very impactful— in no way blaming him; his QB was arguably worst in the league, but for me that makes his stats hallow for me. Kind of like an NBA player being a top 10 scorer on one of the worst teams (not exact but some similarities). 

I think Terry is on the edge of elite.  Only think stopping him was injuries both seasons and "meh" QB play from the perspective of showcasing being explosive. 

I got no problem with anyone saying he is elite.  He really has no weakness as a WR.    He's IMO elite with contested catches, he's an excellent YAC guy and is really good run blocker.  He's a really good deep threat too if he had a QB who could get him the ball.

As for his YPC last season, he made the most of what he had to deal with at QB.  For example if he had to take a screen from Haskins and take it with the ball in his hands 10 yards further than that's what he did.   He was 6th in the league with YAC.  Beating guys famous for YAC like Deebo Samuel and Diggs.  He made lemonade out of lemons.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Just read it.  It fits what I saw in camp.  Everyone looked good IMO to some extent at WR.  I agree with him that Dyami didn't jump out much. As I mentioned they moved him around.  My take was he plays X when Terry plays the slot.  Dyami had a couple of really nice catches but otherwise nothing remarkable or negative hit me about him.  Based on what I saw I am guessing he plays X when Terry plays slot. 

As much as I'be written off Steven Sims in my mind as for this crop, I agree with Standig he did look good.  Explosive with the ball in his hands.  Milne didn't look explosive but his hands were glue -- really impressive hands.  Deandre Carter looks feisty - decent at WR but nothing that blew me away.  Harmon and AGG to me were about the same.  They both had moments.   Keim in a recent podcast mentioned that Scott Turner lobbied for AGG in that draft so that might give him an edge.   

After Terry, to my eyes Humphries was the most impressive.  C. Sims looked decent, sounds like he's a lock to make the team and probably gets his fair share of play at Z during the season.  And it looks like Terry and for that matter all the Wrs will be moved around a lot.   The one receiver I don't recall moved much was C. Sims who seemed to be at Z everytime I noticed. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just read it.  It fits what I saw in camp.  Everyone looked good IMO to some extent at WR.  I agree with him that Dyami didn't jump out much. As I mentioned they moved him around.  My take was he plays X when Terry plays the slot.  Dyami had a couple of really nice catches but otherwise nothing remarkable or negative hit me about him.  Based on what I saw I am guessing he plays X when Terry plays slot. 

As much as I'be written off Steven Sims in my mind as for this crop, I agree with Standig he did look good.  Explosive with the ball in his hands.  Milne didn't look explosive but his hands were glue -- really impressive hands.  Deandre Carter looks feisty - decent at WR but nothing that blew me away.  Harmon and AGG to me were about the same.  They both had moments.   Keim in a recent podcast mentioned that Scott Turner lobbied for AGG in that draft so that might give him an edge.   

After Terry, to my eyes Humphries was the most impressive.  C. Sims looked decent, sounds like he's a lock to make the team and probably gets his fair share of play at Z during the season.  And it looks like Terry and for that matter all the Wrs will be moved around a lot.   The one receiver I don't recall moved much was C. Sims who seemed to be at Z everytime I noticed. 

Would be nice to get a feel for how Samuel fits in and affects the rest of the group. Hoping his injury doesn't continue to linger.

McLaurin is always going to be a little underrated when compared to guys like AJ Brown and DK Metcalf, because most people have a clear size bias when it comes to WRs. They love the big physical freaks. McLaurin doesn’t really qualify for that title when compared to those guys (even though he’s 6’0” and runs a 4.35 40). I think it’s an idiotic way of looking at things, but plenty of people do. Terry’s just gonna have to outproduce those guys consistently to get put ahead of them. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, wit33 said:

Will be watching Pats closely this year, due to appreciating them going against the grain with a modern day ground and pound approach—Taking advantage of teams becoming “lighter” and quicker overall on defense. High on them this year. 

Based on their roster moves, it looks like the Pats are going to incorporate an element of the Ravens offense.  A running QB, with a good O line with multiple TEs.

Not saying you are saying otherwise.  My take on the QB spot from the context of FA is that the main plot of the narrative is the market itself.  It's not like teams can choose in FA like going to an ice cream shop and picking whatever flavor suits them.  Elite QBs rarely hit the market.  Ditto great Qbs.  Heck even good QBs rarely hit it.  You are usually choosing among reclamation projects or question marks -- dudes who maybe had a good season or two in the mix of "meh" or someone who was once good like Cam but do they have anything left, maybe a decent but aging QB, etc.  The FA market often forces you to be creative.  Fitz was my favorite FA QB in that context this year.   

Clearly a great rookie QB is the ticket.  It's just difficult to do for some teams especially ours.  Maybe the new thing becomes this new drill with QBs trying to strong arm their way out of the current situation -- see Stafford and perhaps in the near future Aaron Rodgers, Watson, Russell Wilson, etc. 

No doubt its tougher to manage a roster with a QB getting paid big money.  But most of those teams still seem to be competitive.  Seattle hasn't won a SB post the Wilson contract.  But they are still always relevant, always in the post season.  We'd kill for their post SB run.   Double digit wins every season except one.  Their worst season 9-7.  Playoffs every season but the 9-7 one.  12 wins twice.  That run would be by a mile feel like the glory years for the Dan era. 

As for the QBs winning SBs.   They are usually really good players.  The exceptions being streaky players who were famous for getting hot in the clutch.  Eli was known for that.  Foles got hot in the post season.  Flacco for a time was considered a clutch post season guy.  I don't think you are winning SBs with Case Keenum types no matter how cheap the deal is.  At some point the QB play becomes relevant.   Foles and Eli played really really well in the SB.  They were the MVP.  

Eli had to go toe to toe with Brady for example. He had it in him because when he would get hot, he would get red hot.  It's the same argument a dude from PFF gave for Fitzpatrick.  That is, if Fitzpatrick made the post season, he could have a game out of the blue where he could kill it and if he got hot in the post season you never know.  I think if the goal is a SB, then the twist to perhaps beat a Brady or Mahomes is a lesser QB who is capable of getting red hot in a big game.   

https://www.docsports.com/current/super-bowl-winning-quarterbacks.html

Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson (Malcolm Smith), 2TDs
Super Bowl 49: Tom Brady (MVP), 4TDs
Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning (Von Miller), 0TDs
Super Bowl 51: Tom Brady (MVP), 2TDs
Super Bowl 52: Nick Foles (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 53: Tom Brady (Julian Edelman), 0TDs
Super Bowl 54: Patrick Mahomes (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 55: Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Kinda off-topic, but I get the feeling the Giants are trying to switch to an identity of a team that plays dirty.  For some reason that's the vibe I get from their fighting, and the quotes coming from players.

Switch? 🤔

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Kinda off-topic, but I get the feeling the Giants are trying to switch to an identity of a team that plays dirty.  For some reason that's the vibe I get from their fighting, and the quotes coming from players.

The same thing happened when Patricia became HC of the Lions. The team goes overboard trying to take on their tough guy persona during the honeymoon phase (usually 2-3 seasons) but eventually it wears off and they hate being treated like kids by the coaching staff, and it all falls apart. The same will happen with Judge if they don’t start winning…Coughlin all over again but without the success. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Looks like Apke isn't just a press corner, but also literally attached to their hip.  Makes it difficult for the WR to break on his route.  Maybe there's something there to develop with him.

Not sure.  I listened to Keim's podcast this morning and in short he wasn't high on him as far as how he's playing so far.  Personally, i didn't pay enough attention to have an opinion about him based on the practices I watched. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Anyone else feel like the practice squad, in light of COVID policy this year and Washington's improving-but-still-not-great vaccination rate, needs to have a focus on plug and play guys we would feel comfortable suiting up at a moment's notice, rather than project types?  Feels like a somehow Sammis Reyes ends up on IR, type situation.

• Like 1