Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Eagles have a good defense.  And a decent O line if they can stay healthy.  They get Watson I think they move quickly from projected last to a team that can win the division.  Count me in ther group that doesn't yawn about the idea of them acquiring Watson.  If Watson is right, he's IMO the best Qb in the division.  

They also still have the best TE duo in the league, IMO. Along with a potential star in Davonta Smith and decent contributors like Miles Sanders and Reagor. 

I think they’re a bottom 5 team with Hurts as the starter, but adding a top 5 QB to that roster is nothing to dismiss IMO. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Or they’re desperate because Hurts looks bad. 

Doubtful. The Philly beat guys have been saying he’s looked good overall. 

Philly has always been in on the Watson sweepstakes. I don’t really see them changing their stance unless Hurts has a preseason similar to rookie Dak. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

They also still have the best TE duo in the league, IMO. Along with a potential star in Davonta Smith and decent contributors like Miles Sanders and Reagor. 

I think they’re a bottom 5 team with Hurts as the starter, but adding a top 5 QB to that roster is nothing to dismiss IMO. 

Agree.  I've been reading that Devonta Smith is having a really good camp.    They might actually instantly turn into the favorite in the NFC East.   I know mentally we are used to thinking of them as bottom feeders because of last season but they had three winning seasons in a row before that.  Heck we could barely beat them last season in a must win game with their coach trying to lose. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I honestly don't really believe the chatter. Why would anyone trade for Watson in the current situation? Especially if the asking price is at least 3 firsts plus a couple of starters like it was reported. I don't think a trade will happen until it's clear how it goes on with Watson.

4 minutes ago, Panninho said:

I honestly don't really believe the chatter. Why would anyone trade for Watson in the current situation? Especially if the asking price is at least 3 firsts plus a couple of starters like it was reported. I don't think a trade will happen until it's clear how it goes on with Watson.

Hopefully its not heating up.  Not that I trust PFT.  Rumors going on for awhile that Philly is interested including from multiple reporters.  But I figure they'd wait for this case to settle.

For the Eagles who have two #1 picks and potentially a third #1 in 2022 -- they are perfectly positioned to make a deal without sweating it.

I love our off season.  If I had to take though one downside to it -- it would be two of our division rivals set themselves up for the kill in draft capital to go get a QB next season and we didn't. 

• Like 5

Jamin Davis has won the praise of Ron Rivera. Over Memorial Day weekend, Rivera — who coached the Carolina Panthers for nine seasons — had former Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly speak to the Washington Football Team’s linebackers at their training facility in Ashburn. The former defensive player of the year and seven-time all-pro was the epitome of a three-down linebacker and the model for Rivera’s next project in Washington.

Much like Washington tight end Logan Thomas has drawn comparisons to Greg Olsen, and Washington’s running backs have been compared to Christian McCaffrey, Rivera has been on the hunt for his next star middle linebacker — someone like Kuechly or maybe longtime Panther Thomas Davis.

In Jamin Davis, Washington’s first-round pick out of Kentucky, Rivera might have found his guy.

During the first week of training camp in Richmond, Rivera cited Davis as one of the young players who stood out with their ability to retain information and translate it to the field. Davis has played the “mike,” or middle linebacker role, with the starting defense for most of camp. As a rookie, he’s essentially been tasked with being the quarterback of the defense, making the calls and checks to get players lined up.

After the first padded practice Tuesday, Rivera again cited Davis as one of the players who thrived with his full gear.

“He put the pads on, and he just kept running into people,” Rivera said. “I mean, that’s his mentality, and that’s what you’re looking for in guys.”

And after Wednesday’s workout, Rivera made a beeline to Davis to coach him up. The two stood at the 30-yard-line as Rivera talked to him about Kuechly, who was in a similar position in 2012 as a first-round rookie.

Rivera has said he doesn’t know how many wide receivers he plans to keep on the initial 53-man roster, but Steven Sims is making a compelling case. The third-year player has received ample time with the first- and second-team offenses, working both in the slot and out wide, and has regularly been in the mix as a punt returner.

Sims said last season “wasn’t a great year” and that he didn’t perform to the standard he set for himself. In 12 games, he had two dropped passes and two fumbles lost (three others were recovered). Sims also dealt with a toe injury in Week 2 that landed him on injured reserve for part of the season.

Now healthy, Sims said he focused on “going back to the basics” in the offseason. After practices, Sims has been one of the last ones on the field, catching passes from the Jugs machine.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hopefully its not heating up.  Not that I trust PFT.  Rumors going on for awhile that Philly is interested including from multiple reporters.  But I figure they'd wait for this case to settle.

For the Eagles who have two #1 picks and potentially a third #1 in 2022 -- they are perfectly positioned to make a deal without sweating it.

I love our off season.  If I had to take though one downside to it -- it would be two of our division rivals set themselves up for the kill in draft capital to go get a QB next season and we didn't. 

Yeah I'd be pretty surprised if a team gave up 3+ 1st round picks right now for a guy who has a huge pending civil case (and some criminal cases) about sexual misconduct that won't even be resolved this year.

However, if a team really wants him then then Eagles or Giants would be in prime spots since they both have 2 1st round picks in the 2022 draft. 

Secondary rankings entering the 2021 NFL season

11. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

Washington is all-in on its defensive line, but the team also happened to field one of the better coverage units in the NFL in 2020, ending the year ranked sixth in team coverage grade. The addition of William Jackson III in free agency should only bolster the group, and it gives defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio some flexibility to implement more man coverage. Jackson’s 80.0 coverage grade in man-to-man concepts since 2017 is over 15 points higher than Ronald Darby’s coverage grade on the same subset of plays (64.3). 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-32-nfl-secondaries-entering-2021-season

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

This gets me excited almost as much as seeing our rookies. Way overdue. Hail Qween Tanya, CEO of WFT, Layer of Sod, for getting this done. 

Yeah it's awesome to see. But it still drives me up the wall how damn long it took for someone to convince them that our field was absolute dog****. The entire league knew it for years and people talked about it pretty publicly. Same thing with our training facilities. I remember seeing a picture of what we had years back and it looked like a freaking mom and pop strip mall gym thrown together with equipment off of Craigslist.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah it's awesome to see. But it still drives me up the wall how damn long it took for someone to convince them that our field was absolute dog****. The entire league knew it for years and people talked about it pretty publicly. Same thing with our training facilities. I remember seeing a picture of what we had years back and it looked like a freaking mom and pop strip mall gym thrown together with equipment off of Craigslist.

I think Dan and Bruce were a marriage made in hell.  Dan with Cerrato was flashy and would overspend and make foolish moves but they weren't boring and Dan's rep was they'd at least spend money.  With Bruce, they lost more games, they were cheap, boring and sleazy.  Both Vinny and Bruce contributed to the demise along with Dan who was the lead clown of course. 

At least now for his many faults, Dan is willing to spend some money.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

An off-topic and long read related to how soccer pitches became a big (and technical) business in Europe:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/15/silicon-valley-of-turf-uk-perfect-football-pitch

"“They had an injury list the length of your arm,” he recalled. A more stable pitch would start to solve that problem. But there was a more tactical reason for signing Calderwood: before his arrival, the pitch was too slow, too bobbly, too unpredictable for the kind of high-tempo passing game played by most of Europe’s elite teams. “The owners realised that it wasn’t about buying 11 world-class players,” said Calderwood. “They needed things behind them to allow them to work. One of the main things was the pitch.”

...After winning the league in 2014, then-manager Laurent Blanc credited Calderwood with 16 of the club’s points, because this pitch had made the team’s attack so much sharper.."

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

At least now for his many faults, Dan is willing to spend some money.  

Yeah, and this is the part that's always been pretty confusing to me. We know that Dan is willing to spend money...so did nobody tell him about how bad the field was and urge him to spend money on it? Was Vinny too stupid and Bruce just didn't give a ****?

And we know Dan is pretty much a recluse for the most part but is he seriously that isolated and out of touch that after years of playing on a completely **** field and everyone knowing it he had no idea how bad it was?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah, and this is the part that's always been pretty confusing to me. We know that Dan is willing to spend money...so did nobody tell him about how bad the field was and urge him to spend money on it? Was Vinny too stupid and Bruce just didn't give a ****?

And we know Dan is pretty much a recluse for the most part but is he seriously that isolated and out of touch that after years of playing on a completely **** field and everyone knowing it he had no idea how bad it was?

I think it was likely a pendulum of two extremes.  Vinny loved to spend.  Bruce was frugal. I don't recall though if the spending with Vinny was purely FA and coaches. 

But I do know under Bruce, the team was known to be cheap.  There was a phase according to some that they weren't willing to pay scouts the way other teams did.  they lost a highly regarded assistant coach because they weren't willing to pay and the Rams were willing.   And Shanny among others would have to prod Dan to upgrade their 2nd class facilities.   Maybe it was all Dan, who knows.  But Bruce was described by a number of people who covered him as a dude who took pride about being cheap.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1