Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Matt Gaetz Is Said to Be Investigated Over Possible Sexual Relationship With a Girl, 17. Wrap it up. Gaetz likely to avoid charges. Gaetz former ally sentenced to 11 years.

Cooked Crack

Matt Gaetz's father backs his claims of extortion plot: report

Don Gaetz, the father of Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), backed his son’s claims that his family is the victim of an extortion plot by a former Department of Justice official.

Don Gaetz told Politico in an interview published Wednesday that he had been working with the FBI and had worn a wire on several occasions as part of an investigation.

Both Don and Matt Gaetz have accused former federal prosecutor David McGee of being behind the alleged plot. McGee, who is now a lawyer at Florida-based firm Beggs & Lane, told the Daily Beast in an interview on Tuesday that the claims were “completely, totally false.”

“The FBI asked me to try and get that information for Matt and an indication we would transfer money to Mr. David McGee,” Don Gaetz told Politico. He didn't say what information he was intended to get for his son.

Don Gaetz also told Politico that he wore a wire during a meeting earlier this month with McGee, and was going to meet with Stephen Alford, who he also claimed was part of the effort.

The elder Gaetz said that he was trying to get Alford to discuss payments he was making to McGee, but the meeting fell apart when the Justice Department's investigation into Matt Gaetz was reported in the press.

Alford didn’t respond to Politico’s request for comment.

The interview backs what Matt Gaetz told the press after The New York Times reported on Tuesday that he was under federal investigation for allegedly having a relationship with a 17-year-old girl.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Reminds me of when Steve Martin was hosting the Oscars in 1995, talking about how movies had been such an important part of his life: "I still remember sitting in a darkened theater with my arm around 17-year-old Mary Jo Rasmussen, trying to get to first base. I can even remember the name of the film: `The Lion King.‴

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, China said:

Matt Gaetz's father backs his claims of extortion plot: report

Don Gaetz, the father of Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), backed his son’s claims that his family is the victim of an extortion plot by a former Department of Justice official.

If you define extortion broadly as, "making someone face consequences for their actions," then the Gaetz-es are correct in making this point. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This aged well.  (rimshot)

IKR?

Nothing like a self-inflicted wound to make me chuckle

And you just know that spineless weasel will roll on anyone he can if it looks like jailtime is looming

Republicans- the world's longest running cartoon

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

IKR?

Nothing like a self-inflicted wound to make me chuckle

And you just know that spineless weasel will roll on anyone he can if it looks like jailtime is looming

Republicans- the world's longest running cartoon

Gaetz trying to bring Tucker into his mess and throw him under the bus while on the air with him was absolutely hilarious. You could tell Tucker was like "What? No, dude. Stop. Stop." over and over in his head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

This situation is getting nuttier! From the linked article.

Details surrounding the claim by Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., that he is the victim of an extortion plot involving allegations of a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old now portend to connect it to a search for an FBI agent who went missing in Iran 14 years ago.

According to documents obtained and reported by the Washington Examiner, Gaetz's family was approached by former Air Force intelligence officer Bob Kent, who claimed that he had located former agent Robert Levinson, whose family presumed him to be dead. Kent reportedly sought a $25 million loan to fund an operation to rescue Levinson, and promised to help the congressman with legal woes in return.

"In exchange for the funds being arranged, and upon the release of Mr. Levinson, the team that delivers Mr. Levinson to the President of The United States shall strongly advocate that President Biden issue a Presidential Pardon, or instruct the Department of Justice to terminate any and all investigations involving Congressman Gaetz," said the document Kent reportedly gave Gaetz's father, which bore the heading "Project Homecoming."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/matt-gaetz-case-gets-more-134707693.html

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Gaetz trying to bring Tucker into his mess and throw him under the bus while on the air with him was absolutely hilarious. You could tell Tucker was like "What? No, dude. Stop. Stop." over and over in his head.

Or wondering which one she was. And whether he slept with her. 

And whether Gaetz is going to say so. 

• Like 2

Gaetz investigation complicated by overture to his father about ex-FBI agent who went missing

Rep. Matt Gaetz, a Florida Republican known for his fierce allegiance to former president Donald Trump, had been under Justice Department investigation for months for a possible sex crime when two men approached his father with a proposal, people familiar with the matter said.

The men had learned of the investigation, they wrote to Don Gaetz, and wanted to offer an opportunity to help his son, the people said. He could give a huge sum of money to fund their effort to locate Robert A. Levinson — the longest-held American hostage in Iran, whose family has said they were told he is dead. If the operation were a success, he would win public favor and help alleviate Matt Gaetz’s legal woes.

But Don Gaetz, a prominent Florida Republican who once led the state Senate, viewed the communication suspiciously, the people said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to describe a continuing and politically sensitive probe. The investigation into Matt Gaetz’s alleged crime — he is suspected of having sex with a 17-year-old girl, as well as funding her travel — was not public knowledge. Fearing his family was being extorted, Don Gaetz contacted the FBI.

The messy political drama has in some ways diverted attention from a grim reality for the congressman. He remains under investigation for possible sex crimes, leaving him vulnerable to potentially serious legal jeopardy.

The men who approached Don Gaetz, people familiar with the matter said, had no apparent connection to the sex-crimes investigation of his son, other than having somehow learned about it before it was publicly reported. But when news of law enforcement’s interest in Gaetz surfaced Tuesday, the congressman asserted that the allegation was “rooted in an extortion effort against my family for $25 million,” and he identified by name a former federal prosecutor who he said was part of the effort.

While the Justice Department investigates Gaetz, the FBI is separately examining whether the request to his father about Levinson might constitute extortion, with Gaetz and his family as possible victims. A Justice Department spokesman declined to comment.

The Washington Examiner on Wednesday published a text message and a document that purports to outline the proposal to Don Gaetz.

Click on the link for the full article

9 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

I feel like this is the inevitable result.  If people look too closely, for whatever reason, they are probably going to find some, er, irregularities, even if they are entirely unrelated to what they were looking for in the first place.  

Like, if you have a girl in a well in your basement who you are fattening up to make a suit out of her skin, don't blare house music in the middle of the night.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I feel like this is the inevitable result.  If people look too closely, for whatever reason, they are probably going to find some, er, irregularities, even if they are entirely unrelated to what they were looking for in the first place.  

Like, if you have a girl in a well in your basement who you are fattening up to make a suit out of her skin, don't blare house music in the middle of the night.  

That reminds me...I gotta go buy some lotion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3