Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ranked by who?  The draft pundits?  

Something people forget:  It's the same people who are ranking the players and who they think should be taken when you are then evaluating the teams as to how close to THEIR projections the teams got. Matt Miller is saying the Commander's are not close to his evaluation of value.  Which, honestly, means squadoosh.  

It's a self fulfilling prophecy.  First, the pundits are going to rank the players, and then going to determine what the right value is, then if the teams (who actually do more research, meetings, film study, personal visits, etc with the players) disagree, we'll crush them for reaching.

It's the part of the draft coverage I truly hate. 

As I've said a million times, I love Mel because he was the first and he's got a photographic memory. And early on, he was a bull in a china shop and was outspoken and somewhat hysterical.  (He's mellowed over the years.)

But Bill Tobin was really right when he said, "Who the hell is Mel Kiper anyway?"  (And then the rest of the rant.) And Mel wasn't exactly right because he was dying on the "Trent Dilfer" hill, who turned out to be a very "meh" QB until the Raven's defense got him a ring.  

The Raiders under Mike Mayock thought this exact same way. Thinking you’re smarter than everyone else usually fails. And that includes draft pundits 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ranked by who?  The draft pundits?  

Something people forget:  It's the same people who are ranking the players and who they think should be taken when you are then evaluating the teams as to how close to THEIR projections the teams got. Matt Miller is saying the Commander's are not close to his evaluation of value.  Which, honestly, means squadoosh.  

It's a self fulfilling prophecy.  First, the pundits are going to rank the players, and then going to determine what the right value is, then if the teams (who actually do more research, meetings, film study, personal visits, etc with the players) disagree, we'll crush them for reaching.

It's the part of the draft coverage I truly hate. 

As I've said a million times, I love Mel because he was the first and he's got a photographic memory. And early on, he was a bull in a china shop and was outspoken and somewhat hysterical.  (He's mellowed over the years.)

But Bill Tobin was really right when he said, "Who the hell is Mel Kiper anyway?"  (And then the rest of the rant.) And Mel wasn't exactly right because he was dying on the "Trent Dilfer" hill, who turned out to be a very "meh" QB until the Raven's defense got him a ring.  

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Simms had a 2nd round grade on Percy. Great pick up. Just question the trade value with Carolina. Scratching my head.

We lost on that trade not by a lot by still we lost.  

I watched two games of Percy Butler. 

I’m whelmed. Bad angles, tackles with his head down, too hesitant of a tackler.

Fast, long frame and athletic. 

Can see boom bust value in him. But saying he’s the best pure safety in the draft is certainly a take.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

With all our needs, we are getting one guy that will be a starter on opening day.  This type of draft strategy should be reserved for teams coming off of good seasons that won 11 or 12 games last year.  The type of draft a very confident coach runs thinking of longer term rather than immediate impact.  I’m not sure that fits our scenario, but It seems to be an extremely low risk plan for a team that should probably be taking a few wild swings.  Don’t get me wrong, I like Dotson a lot and think he will be an immediate impact.  The Bama Boys we drafted will definitely see the field on a rotational basis and could work themselves into starting roles.  Don’t know much about our safety but it sounds like he has been on the radar for a minute.  All seem like work hard good character guys that will fit right into Ron’s new culture.  Maybe we pick up another player that can make the team as a third stringer special teams contributer.

Nothing to get real excited about, slow, safe, steady and boring.  It all will still hinge on how well our new QB#1 plays.  All these pieces might look real smart if Wentz comes out balling and the defense plays up to their potential.  If we truly were just a good QB away from being a pretty good football, maybe this was a very smart draft.  Time will tell.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think job 1 is massively important.

Job 2 is figuring out where they feel like they need to pick the guy to get them.  If that's "Value" fine.  

If you love a guy, you go get them, and screw all the talking heads.

And regardless of what the talking heads say, you better be right.

No coach/GM has ever lost their job because of Mel's draft evaluation grade.

But if you draft poorly you tend to get fired because your teams don't win.  

Yeah but...c'mon.

First of all, yeah, I mean, if you're in the NFL and listening to some of the talking heads out there, sure.  Maybe you consult with a guy like Kiper but that's all it is, a consultation.  Bringing in a guy for an opinion or to learn more about a player or two.  

And, sure, if you love a guy, go get them...but up to a point. Did the Commies REALLY love Phiddy Cent that much?  The guy said it himself, he wasn't expected to be picked until the 3rd or 4th round.  And do any of us really think that our braintrust is that smart to suddenly start outfoxing the rest of the league?  

Even if the Commies liked Phiddy Cent that much, he wasn't slated to be picked until the 3rd or the 4th, why not wait to see if he's there when they were picking in the 3rd or 4th?  I mean, does anyone think that the Ravens were sitting there and being like "HOOOLLLLLYYYYY ****ING ****.  Holy ****.  The Commanders just took Mathis in the second round.  Our draft is completely ****ed."  Does anyone think that the Commies would be absolutely devastated they waited to take Mathis in the 3rd or 4th and another team picked him ahead of us? 

There's no way that Mathis was, like, the lynchpin of our draft.  This draft isn't going to be defined if Mathis works out or not so why would anyone love him that much to reach for him a round or two higher?

You're ultimately right, no coach/GM has ever lost their job because of Mel's evaluation grade, I believe that.  But at the end of the day, these guys are industry guys, that's what they do.  They're paid to write for websites and cover the draft and pass on what they know to schmucks like us so we can get uppity (like I am) when our team picks a guy in a spot that's too high.  Let's not forget that at the end of the day that this is all entertainment and....

200.gif

And yeah, we do draft poorly.  Practically every single year.  Sure, there's a Kam Curl surprise every so often but it's not like we're renowned for the way we use the draft to build a winning organization.  

The Ravens have 6 4th round draft choices and took a punter.  The Ravens are always good.  Therefore, I do not mind them taking a punter in the draft.  They've proven that they're smart, so I'm assuming they have a plan and know what they're doing.

Maybe the Commies should listen to Mel Kiper more often.  It's not like what they've been doing for years is working out well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

There has to be a plan for FA after the draft.     I'm thinking back to that clip of Vinny telling the fans to calm down because they had a plan.

This team has no plan. They are winging it. Going to nice when they get fired in a couple of years. One day of joy before the return of Gm Dan and his puppet coach- Jim Zorn Jr.

If this team was really forward thinking; Payne would’ve been traded before the draft or in day 1 or 2.  

• Like 1