Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Has to at least be a 2nd for Payne. Rather have Payne for a season and receive a 3rd round comp pick if anything lower than a 2nd. 

No value is ever placed on a season of play by most anyone. For example, what does 1 season of Payne equal in draft compensation on its own; 4 or 5th round pick? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me too for a 2nd rounder

His floor is a 3rd due to a compensatory pick and considering how much I enjoy watching Payne and will probably see more Eagles games, I'd say the 2nd is worth it to me all things considered.  

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd be shocked if they got a 2nd rounder.  I'd bet a 4th but maybe a third.  I hope i am wrong though.

lol, I meant a season.  

Frankly, the way these things work there's no point in trading Payne for less than a 3rd. Why trade him for less than you are going to get back in the compensatory pick?

Rumor that Pittsburgh wants Willis but isn’t comfortable waiting until 20. They are calling all teams outside top 10 to look to trade. I think they are concerned Saints could take him mid first or another team trading up. At any rate, that’s a potential trade down from 11 to 20 and pick up a second, potentially more. Probably won’t get a first next year, I think last years trade was based on lots of competition, whereas this year is the opposite, with the Steelers really having the ability to trade with lots of teams.

I would explore the trade down for a second, maybe adding Payne to get their first next year also.

I think a first in 2023 is the most we will get for Payne. I’d probably prefer a first next year than a second this year, because I want the ability to target a QB or pick up 2  elite players. 

if I had to guess we end up trading Payne to a team with SB aspirations like Tampa Bay for a 2nd or 3rd this year and a mid rounder next year. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

His floor is a 3rd due to a compensatory pick and considering how much I enjoy watching Payne and will probably see more Eagles games, I'd say the 2nd is worth it to me all things considered.  

You got a deal, I'd pull the trigger.😀

Do I think Payne is worth more than a third?  Yes.  Do I think they'd get that?  Nope.  I'd guess 50-50 at best they'd even get a third.

I think the problem with Payne is he plays on the interior D line which isn't as valued as much as edge unless you are like a Buckner type who gets sacks.  then you add to that he's about to get a nice size contract, I think that devalues him too. 

It wouldn't surprise me if they've quietly shopped him and haven't been offered what they'd hope.  And again I hope I am dead wrong and the league sees Payne in the rosiest ways that some on the board do. 

I've consistently liked Payne but I've never agreed with the thought that he's a great player.   Maybe very good, I can go with but I don't see him as a star DT even though some of our fans believe he is.  But nothing would make me more happy than to be wrong about that and the league is pounding the table for him. 

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Frankly, the way these things work there's no point in trading Payne for less than a 3rd. Why trade him for less than you are going to get back in the compensatory pick?

It's sort of my point.  I don't mind renting Payne for another season. I suspect they aren't misplaying things with Payne. 

I think the screw up is Settle and or Ionnaidis. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I just dont think the value is high for a run stuff 1T with limited pass rush ability that has only 1 more year of control.

Payne did have 4.5 sacks last year.  He must thank Allen for those though.  

21 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Has to at least be a 2nd for Payne. Rather have Payne for a season and receive a 3rd round comp pick if anything lower than a 2nd. 

No value is ever placed on a season of play by most anyone. For example, what does 1 season of Payne equal in draft compensation on its own; 4 or 5th round pick? 

Don't know if you'd get a 3rd or not for him depends on the years and $$$ for his contract when/if he hits FA. 

20 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I just dont think the value is high for a run stuff 1T with limited pass rush ability that has only 1 more year of control.

He has 14.5 sacks and 22 TFL in 4 seasons. That is pretty frikin good for a 1T. He has been by far the most productive DT from the 2018 draft. And it aint close. 

• Like 1

1. Jacksonville Jaguars: Travon Walker, DE, Georgia

I’d take Aidan Hutchinson, I think. But I’ve come around on Walker a little, a super athlete who was used in a rotation, and probably a little out of position at Georgia. It’d be interesting to see where he lands in Mike Caldwell’s Todd Bowles-esque, blitz-heavy 3–4 look. And neither Evan Neal nor Ikem Ekwonu would surprise me here, as an investment back into Trevor Lawrence.

2. Detroit Lions: Aidan Hutchinson, DE, Michigan

No need for the Lions to get cute here. Last year, they got a war daddy for the offensive line in Penei Sewell. This time, they’ll get one for the defensive front, who’ll likely be a team captain in short order, joining a line that Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell have already sunk significant resources into. The wild card here? I’ve heard they like Detroit native Sauce Gardner.

3. Houston Texans: Ickey Ekwonu, OT, N.C. State

This was close between Ekwonu and Neal—I’ve heard a few more people connect Ekwonu to Houston over the last few days. The Texans can start Ekwonu at guard and move him outside if they move Laremy Tunsil next year.

4. New York Jets: Sauce Gardner, CB, Cincinnati

I had Ekwonu here in my previous mock. I think Ickey being gone makes this easier for the Jets—they get a rock-solid scheme fit at a big need position. If both he and Gardner are there, I think it’s a very real discussion in that room.

5. New York Giants: Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State

I’ve had Cross here for a few weeks, and I’m not going to move off that now. The Giants solve their left tackle issue, and Andrew Thomas flips to right tackle, which many believe is his more natural spot.

6. Carolina Panthers: Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

Ideally, Carolina would use this pick to deal down and build capital to fill in the 131-pick hole it currently has that runs all the way from this slot to the fourth round. But Neal falling into their lap, and helping filling a hole that’s bigger than quarterback for Carolina, wouldn’t be a bad scenario.

7. New York Giants (via Bears): Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon

The Giants stop the talented Duck’s fall—and they land a potential star at a premium position, while trusting in Brian Daboll’s ability to manage different personalities (something he’s been able to do as an offensive coach over the course of his career).

8. Atlanta Falcons: Drake London, WR, USC

This, I believe, will come down to London vs. Garrett Wilson, and I think the Falcons would take London just based on London being Arthur Smith’s type—a tough, hard-blocking, big, physical receiver.

9. Seattle Seahawks (via Broncos): Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU

I’ve heard Stingley is in a group of players Seattle likes, along with Cross and Thibodeaux, and his selection would be the first pick higher than 90 that the Seahawks have spent on a corner since John Schneider and Pete Carroll arrived in 2010. New coordinator Clint Hurtt has coached in Carroll’s system the last five years, but before that worked for Vic Fangio. So how the Seahawks value the position could be changing.

10. New York Jets (via Seahawks): Jermaine Johnson, DE, Florida State

This could be Jameson Williams, too, but I’m going with the more immediate need, and a bookend for Carl Lawson in a Robert Saleh scheme that demands a fleet of solid edge rushers.

11. Washington Commanders: Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State

If the Falcons take Wilson, and London somehow slips, I think that’d be the ideal scenario for Washington. In this one, Ron Rivera takes home a very solid, do-everything program fit who happens to be very close with the veteran receiver he’s trying to re-sign.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

New Vikings GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, in best-player-available mode, takes home a unique talent that’s a little polarizing, but should find a fit in Ed Donatell’s Fangio-esque scheme (just like Derwin James has been, playing for Brandon Staley).

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

I’m going to give the team the benefit of the doubt on Payne. I think we sometimes overvalue our own players. I was really disappointed that we let Flowers go. And Morgan Moses. I thought we were botching our OL. But, in actuality, we upgraded our Ol and saved money. Payne isn’t irreplaceable. And Ron isn’t Bruce Allen. If teams are offering value for him, we will trade him. 

I’m not sure this affects our draft a lot. It might affect our FA more. 

Also, we could, in effect, be building a team around the model of the old Indianapolis Colts. High scoring offense and two very good edge players for when other teams have to stay in passing mode. Of course, that would require Sweat and Young to be better. 

If we take Olave over Hamilton and Wilson my head will explode. Although with this front office nothing is off the table. Hell they drafted a LB in the first last year that anyone who is capable of looking at tape knew had awful read and reaction. And I dont necessarily hate Olave. But I hate him at 11 over those other players. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

I will say, after this draft I will officially make my "declaration" but I am not really happy with the way Rivera and the Martin's have run this team the last few years. The asset management has been poor, to say the least. From Scherff to the DT situation to QB last year ... trading a pick and future picks for a LONG SNAPPER. Jamin Davis at 19 ... I just don't have much faith in them to do the right thing for this year and for the future. This year's draft and fallout will be telling. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd be shocked if they got a 2nd rounder.  I'd bet a 4th but maybe a third.  I hope i am wrong though.

lol, I meant a season.  

One can hope.  2 more days!  😀

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I will say, after this draft I will officially make my "declaration" but I am not really happy with the way Rivera and the Martin's have run this team the last few years. The asset management has been poor, to say the least. From Scherff to the DT situation to QB last year ... trading a pick and future picks for a LONG SNAPPER. Jamin Davis at 19 ... I just don't have much faith in them to do the right thing for this year and for the future. This year's draft and fallout will be telling. 

I agree but as KDawg, I believe it was him, apologize if not has mentioned and others we may have issues trying to get a real HC with integrity to come in and work for this team if RR is fired.