Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

My first full mock (no trades) based on the current draft order:

ROUND 1:

1). Jacksonville-Aiden Hutchinson (Chaisson looks like a bust.  Need a counter rusher opposite Josh Allen.  Could easily go Neal here).

2). Detroit-Kayvon Thibadeoux (Edge rusher is their biggest need aside from QB.  Don't think they take a QB this high).

3). Houston-Evan Neal (They will get additional draft picks when they deal Watson.  They could trade Tunsil as well and slot Neal at LT).

4). New York Jets-Kyle Hamilton (Fits the Seattle scheme that their coach runs.  I know they have drafted safety high before, but I feel Hamilton is BPA here).

5). New York Giants-Ikem Ekwonu (Must improve the o-line.  Goes to RT on day one).

6). Carolina-Tyler Linderbaum (I think they try and go all-in on Watson.  If that fails, they decide to pass on QB and bolster the o-line).

7). New York Giants-N'kobe Dean (Martinez is iffy coming off an ACL. Could easily see edge rusher here).

8.  Atlanta Falcons-David Ojabo (Their edges stink)

9). Denver-Kenny Pickett (They have everything else but QB.  They go with the safer Pickett)

10). New York Jets-Drake London (Need a WR to go with Wilson).

11). Washington-Matt Corral (We'll take best QB.  Could easily be Howell, Willis, Pickett as well).

12). Minnesota-Derek Stingley (BPA here)

13). Cleveland-Devin Lloyd (Impact player day one)

14). Baltimore-Sauce Gardner (They need to improve their secondary badly)

15). Philadelphia-DeMarvin Leal (Cox is aging)

16). Philadelphia-George Karloftis (Barnett is soon out the door.  Cox is coming off an ACL.  Sweat has a medical scare).

17). Los Angeles Chargers-Andrew Booth (CB is a huge need)

18). New Orleans-Malik Willis (Sean Payton needs a new QB)

19). Philadelphia-Kaiir Elam (Slay is aging.  Need youth at CB).

20). Pittsburgh-Sam Howell (If one of the big 4 QBs remains, they take him)

21). New England-Garrett Wilson (Need weapons for Mac Jones)

22). Las Vegas-Jameson Williams (Would have been a top 10 pick if not for the injury)

23). Arizona-Jordan Davis (big space eater inside)

24). Dallas-Charles Cross (Heir apparent for Ty Smith)

25). Cincinatti-Trayvon Walker (Could go o-line here as well)

26). Miami-Kenneth Walker (Bell cow RB.  Need to avoid long passing for Tua)

27). Buffalo-Chris Olave (Slots don't last long in the NFL.  Beasley's end may be near).

28). Detroit-Jahan Dotson (Had the worst WRs in the NFL this year)

29). Kansas City-Jaylen Wydermeyer (Kelce's heir apparent)

30). Tampa Bay-Roger Mccrary (Even Heineke passed on them this year)

31). Tennessee-Trey McBride (Opens up the middle of the field)

32). Green Bay-Trevor Penning (O-line depth is an issue)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm a Fryfogle fan too, I'm not sure what happened to him this year, but he was awesome in 2020.  I guess losing Penix really submarined their entire season, it was kind of stunning how much worse they were this year compared to last despite getting a lot of their guys to come back.

They were down to their third string QB I think.  When Maryland played them they had a true freshman QB starting.  He was fairly athletic but very raw as a passer.  The QB injuries killed their offense.

• Like 2

That doesn't surprise me about Dean @Skinsinparadise.  Small linebackers almost never get picked in the first round.

I wouldn't have picked him LB1 either, I think Lloyd is that dude.  But I think Dean is good enough to be worth picking in the 20s despite his size.

Curious to see where the Georgia kids go. They were loaded with talent but all of the draft eligible kids have some warts.  Of the group, Davis is my favorite, but I think drafting him would necessitate trading Daron Payne.

• Like 1

Not that Orlovsky is the be all and end all.  But I find it interesting he ranks decision making and accuracy 1-2. For me those 2 variables are why I didn't like Rosen or Darnold once I studied them.  Desmond Ridder IMO has the most red flags in the top 6 QBs on those two variables. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not that Orlovsky is the be all and end all.  But I find it interesting he ranks decision making and accuracy 1-2. For me those 2 variables are why I didn't like Rosen or Darnold once I studied them.  Desmond Ridder IMO has the most red flags in the top 6 QBs on those two variables. 

I think it’s a bit more complicated than that but I’m with him.

decision making and accuracy are the baseline entry level prereqs… along with a strong work ethic… But arm strength is one of the inherent physical talents that trumps a lot of the other ones.

But without accuracy and decision making you can have a live arm or a dead arm and the result is the same.

with them and without the arm you can survive but not at any consistent meaningful level. 

With all of them you can be a top QB.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think it’s a bit more complicated than that but I’m with him.

decision making and accuracy are the baseline entry level prereqs… along with a strong work ethic… But arm strength is one of the inherent physical talents that trumps a lot of the other ones.

But without accuracy and decision making you can have a live arm or a dead arm and the result is the same.

with them and without the arm you can survive but not at any consistent meaningful level. 

With all of them you can be a top QB.

Agree, its more involved.  I think he believes the same.  What struck me interesting is he played QB and he lists decision making and accuracy first and 2nd.  Those 2 things just happened to be things I've seen which made me hate Rosen and Darnold when they hit the trade market.  Those two variables drove me nuts when I watched both.  Some tried to convince me to focus on other things like Darnold's ability to throw on the move and Rosen's ballerina like foot work.  But I couldn't gloss over those two things about either guy.

The one QB in this group IMO that has those same red flags is Ridder albeit Ridder IMO isn't Rosen/Darnold level bad as far as decision making.  But I've seen enough to in my view to believe its a concern about his game.

And while I am no Pickett hater the way I was with Darnold and Rosen when they hit the trade market.  Pickett intrigues me to some extent.  But one of a few reasons why I don't think Pickett = Burrow is because of decision making.  Pickett can be reckless as far as throwing into coverage.  And IMO his accuracy isn't pinpoint like Burrow's accuracy.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mhd24 said:

My first full mock (no trades) based on the current draft order:

11). Washington-Matt Corral (We'll take best QB.  Could easily be Howell, Willis, Pickett as well).

12). Minnesota-Derek Stingley (BPA here)

13). Cleveland-Devin Lloyd (Impact player day one)

18). New Orleans-Malik Willis (Sean Payton needs a new QB)

19). Philadelphia-Kaiir Elam (Slay is aging.  Need youth at CB).

20). Pittsburgh-Sam Howell (If one of the big 4 QBs remains, they take him)

Your mock feels more accurate today than many I have seen.

I do believe one QB will be gone before 9. Would be incredible if Corral, Howell and Willis are all available at 11. Would they actually look for a short trade bac if this occurred and they were not married to one of these 3 and liked all of them?

It is killer that Stingly and Lloyd are sitting at 11 also. 

2 hours ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

How can anyone that has been a fan of this team longer than 28 minutes (or watched the NFL before) think they are not that far away or would be fine with some more playmakers and not take a shot on a very good to elite QB? Mind blowing. 

I've been a fan for almost 50 years and when you tell me how they'll get a franchise QB then let me know cause I haven't seen one here since Joe Theismann. I'm all for taking a shot on a very good to elite QB, more than you would ever know, just tell me your guaranteed plan of finding one and I'll jump on your train. If there's no surefire QB there at #11 when we pick then I'm taking a playmaker and continuing to build the roster. Like I said, I'd build the way the Texans and Niners have done it. I guess you're not a fan of drafting guys like Deebo Samuel, Derrick Henry, George Kittle and others over reaching for a hopeful franchise QB. The Niners and Titans took shots on vet castoffs, that's where I'd start my search. You can disagree, no worries.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

If all QBs are on the board when we pick…who ya got?  Cast your lot.

1. Howell

2. Corral

3. Willis

I'd take any of the three though so if you drew a name at random I'd be happy with the result.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I love a lot of this D talent in this draft, man. But we’ve been so D heavy. I’d like to see us go offense. Of course BPA still in play that could put a defender as our best guy… but we need playmakers.

I look at how Melvin Ingram was added to the Chiefs midseason and it has turned their defense around. I'm sure there are other factors but he's made such a huge difference. Where can we find that guy for our defense or offense? McKissic has been a tremendous addition as has Logan Thomas. Keep adding these type of players and we should be really good pretty soon assuming we can get decent QB play and our coaching is great. 

Dallas adding Parsons was huge for them. Game changing players....get em when you can. 

• Like 1

Part of the reason why i don't hate this Qb class the way some do is the question really makes me think hard.  I typically have an easy hierarchy.  I've changed it over time with the exception of having Corral pretty steady at #1.  But he's not #1 for me by a mile.  He's a half peg in my mind better than the others.   The Senior Bowl will likely cause me to change my mind again. 

For anyone here who has never been to training camp, its worth going, it's fun for a number of reasons.  But one of my favorite reasons is it gives me a chance to see our Qbs throw back to back again and again and again.  It's so much easier to discipher who can do what better.  I've bashed Haskins a lot. But its nothing personal.  He was a super nice guy.  He took photos with my kids, really gracious dude.  i have no bitterness towards him. 

But the reason why I pick on him a lot is I saw him throw a ton in camp.   It gave me a window in what he can do and what he couldn't do.  And that translated in a big way to the season.  So i like to borrow from that experience.   And to bring that to the Senior Bowl, seeing these guys (granted its not as good as seeing it in person) throw back to back I think will be gold as far as seperating them.  Also Nagy's emphasis on the intangibles which he could see first hand on some of these QBs with the benefit of hindsight have often been spot on.  Mike Shanahan talked about this some after coaching the Senior Bowl which is he liked how certain players conducted themselves beyond just the field.  He ended up taking Kirk and according to him wanted Russell Wilson (went in the third) but he was taken before their pick in the 4th.  Both dudes played in the Senior Bowl.

So pre Senior Bowl

1.  Matt Corral

2.  Malik Willis

3.  Sam Howell

4.  Kenny Pickett

Strong is a hard one for me.  I like his arm a lot.  But don't like his pocket presence/mobility.  I am out on Ridder as far as being in the conversation with the top 4 unless he really burns it up in the Senior Bowl.  

Howell…Coral…Willis in that order for me.  Doesn’t mean who I think will actually be better.  But who I think would mesh with what we do.  I’d love to take Willis but we just can’t.  So it’s between Coral and Howell.  Ima roll the dice with Howell.  I just think he projects better on sun

Edited by Stone Cold

The more i think about it, I am not so sure Malik Willis wouldn't be able to play in this offense right away.  Though I admit Rivera's description of what he's looking for in a QB isn't a fit on one count which is Malik seems to like to drift in the pocket at times, versus being a quick twitch/decisive QB.

I am not a Scott Turner critic.  I don't per se love him either.   He's fine enough though for me.   IMO what this offense does well is run block/zone scheme and throw eye candy in the mix to misdirect the defense to set up the passing game.   Like KC, the Rams, etc they love to use backfield motion.  WR moving.  TE moving.  

While i am not blown away by Turner as far as play design.   But as i mentioned before when I was at the Vegas game, i was impressed when I paid attention to their alignments and their motion threw me off as to where the play was going.  Bates could be lined tight on the right but instead the play is a run or boot to the left.  Stuff like that.

But all the roll outs, misdirection stuff would be a bit of a nightmare to stop when you got to deal with a QB who can run.  A boot for example could end up a naked boot instead, etc.

You can heck do a little 2012 offense, 2 back sets, RPOs, RO.  The 2012 run game was ruthless.   Also when teams crowd the line of scrimmage like they do against us now, Willis has the arm to go deep and exploit that.   That also was very 2012.

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 7.48.01 PM.png

• Like 1