Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2022 (Dems in charge of Senate. Reps take the House. Herschel Walker headed back home to ignore his children )

Cooked Crack

Have you voted yet?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have you voted yet?

• By mail
    • Early voting
    • Not yet
    • can't vote/not voting

27 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Can you accurately call it a Trump "hangover" when the party is still actively mainlining Trump?

At the abstract level you are asking "can you both have a hangover and still be drinking?"

I feel I speak from experience here.

Yes.

Its called "Monday".

• Haha 9

The problem with the all out attack on trump, from a strategy standpoint, is trump will absolutely run as an independent to give them all the middle finger. And I see no path to victory for DeSantis if he does that. 

of course that requires money - and he may not have enough to do that. 

And he may be indicted or charged or even convicted along the way. Which would also ruin that idea. 

maybe they have a strong belief he will not have enough money and/or be in those legal issues and so they feel comfortable rolling the dice…

11 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

The party and maybe even…<gasp>…THE COUNTRY.

Backpedal all you want. The rest of the electorate hates him and no one refutes that except him and his acolytes. 

The news here is there is a clear coordinated effort to take him down by party insiders, which is not something that happened over night. Finally. 

They really need to flip on the 1/6 and classified documents stuff… they have to. There are many people that would at least consider voting for a GOP candidate, but not if the candidate is anything but against what happened on 1/6. They have to know that… say what you want about those people but they’re not stupid and they’re usually great at strategy. 

The party needs a full cleansing of the trump show. They cannot move forward the way they want without it. And if they’re going to try to salvage the ‘24 race they must start now and they must go all out. 

Edited by tshile

I’m curious who still throws money at trump. Other than voters. I’m talking about the donors and people that actually matter when it comes to financing campaigns. 

he’s got somewhere around 100 million in pac money he refused to spend to help with midterms (number may be wrong but I recall reading it in an article the other day…) but that’s not nearly enough to run a spoiler campaign that works. 

so which donors are going to see all the big money going elsewhere and still willing to waste their money on trump? And not just waste as in he couldn’t win - but also as in the money (if effective) goes to sabotage the GOP’s hopes and puts dems in control of the white house (and senate/congress at risk with down ballot ramifications)

especially since it’s easy to see how Biden would try to transition from “I have to run against trump, I’m the only one that can beat him” to “DeSantis is just like trump so I should still run”, and there’s a very popular sentiment that while Biden is likely the only one that beat trump, trump is the only one he can beat. 

He’s going to have serious money issues. I’m curious which donors stick with him. He has no loyalty and will run just to screw the party. He’s painted himself into a corner…

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/candidate-quality-mattered/

so you can add npr politics team and Nate silver to the list of people saying what I was saying immediately following the election 

drill down and you find it’s not republicans policies that lost elections - its ****ty trumper candidates that lost 

this is great news for republicans. It’s not great news for democrats. They prefer to believe it’s policies that won them the day, and don’t want to even toy with the idea that if non-****ty candidates were run they’d have lost more races. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

The key to trying to figure out how Trump and the GOP split or don't split lies, I think, in trying to understand what Trump actually wants. 

If you think Trump WANTS to be president again, then any talk of him running independent is outrageous. He'd never be able to fund the campaign without the GOP and they both know they'd just neuter the other along the way. 

If you think Trump just wants the GOP to lose if it can't be him, they he may be happy to neuter the GOP by running independent. 

Personally, I think what Trump wants is to run at all costs to ensure his candidacy so he can cry that any investigations are political attacks. He wants the protection, not the position. And if that's the case, then I think he's running no matter what (Republican or Independent). And IF that's true, then the GOP will obviously just do whatever he wants because with him on the ticket they have a chance, but with him as an independent they have none. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Honestly, Nate Silver got WAAAAY too much credit in 2012.  There were 7 states at play so many people (1 in every 128, in fact) could've gotten all 50 states + DC correct in the presidential election.  Kudos to him for turning a single election into a career.

The only thing I was every really impressed with him was 4 years earlier, when he was one of the few to predict that Obama would win North Carolina.

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

LOL.  

I can't wait to watch Trump paint DeSantis as a child molester with an ugly wife and who caused 9/11.

Someone needs to print up a fake Ron DeSantis Kenyan birth certificate.

• Haha 6

24 minutes ago, tshile said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/candidate-quality-mattered/

so you can add npr politics team and Nate silver to the list of people saying what I was saying immediately following the election 

drill down and you find it’s not republicans policies that lost elections - its ****ty trumper candidates that lost 

this is great news for republicans. It’s not great news for democrats. They prefer to believe it’s policies that won them the day, and don’t want to even toy with the idea that if non-****ty candidates were run they’d have lost more races. 

This is myopic as ****. Why can't it be both? Are you really trying to say policies around abortion or cutting SS, didn't have a negative impact for the GOP? Or the student loan forgiveness wasn't a positive policy for Dems galvanizing the younger vote? 

Everything is a mixture.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

The question is what happens if the GOP leadership doesn't want Trump to run, but he does anyway. They didn't want him to run in 2016 either, or at least didn't want him to be the nominee but all fell in line when the tide turned in his favor.  Do they tell DeSantis to stay away and keep a good thing going in Florida, continue to build up his rep as the next in line, and focus on 2028 when there will be no potential Trump conflict?  I can say with certainty that if both Trump & DeSantis run, Trump is going to try and hit DeSantis hard at being an establishment hack.  It won't work on the entire base, but there are a ton of GOP voters who are loyal to the MAGA cult over anything else.  They don't view Trump as a politician but more as a prophet in a sick sort of way.  When you are dealing with a cult of personality, reality & facts (and policies) don't really matter.  

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

it’s already been called for her 

Yeah and what people from outside of CA might not understand is that Porter lives in a pocket of Southern California that is pretty split down the middle between Dem/GOP voters.  Porter even being elected is sort of already a feat.  No matter how well she performs, she is always going to have a legitimate battle on her hands because of the demographics of her district. 

• Thanks 1