Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2022 (Dems in charge of Senate. Reps take the House. Herschel Walker headed back home to ignore his children )

Cooked Crack

Have you voted yet?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have you voted yet?

• By mail
    • Early voting
    • Not yet
    • can't vote/not voting

I think some of this election day coverage is more disengenious than usual. Yeah, I know, its "voting day", so everyone is focused on in person voting, but the early vote in some of these states are astronomical. Of course, they're not all going to be Dem, but if this goes how it might, I wouldn't hang my head just yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

The 18-30 demo votes at about 15% (no source, heard it last night), if they ever get into the 30s%, they would easily make this country blue. 

Here’s the graph for that demo, it’s % of voters within that demo (not % of total voters)

image.png.4c5cc84a1677a8f36c37bd9380446d12.png

• Thanks 1

Georgia’s largest county removed two poll workers from their jobs just before polls opened today after staff found Facebook posts from the mother and son showing them participating the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol

Cool. How many more are out there around the country trying to do the same kinda thing? 😬

Edited by Captain Wiggles

This doesn’t feel like a good day for democrats.  They’ve lost too much ground with inflation and republicans have been able to gain too much ground in democratic strongholds.  Republicans have also succeeded in creating the perception of a mythical crime wave, while democrats are trying to reduce penalties in the name of equity.  That’s intersection creates the dreaded (in US politics) soft on crime perception.  Republicans have succeeded tremendous ground in education, which is unthinkable yet true.  The Hispanic vote is trickling away from democrats as well.  

The only reason democrats are in this fight at all, is because Trump’s court killed Roe.  Absent that boost, today would be a certain bloodbath.  Instead it’s just a likely bloodbath.  

I just hope democrats can hold onto the senate, but even that feels unlikely.  Hope springs eternal however.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, tshile said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/2022-midterm-election/348082/

more evidence abortion doesn’t matter as a political issue for elections. 

More evidence that it does:

Exit polls: Inflation is the top issue for voters, followed by abortion

Inflation tops voters’ list of concerns in this year’s midterm elections, with abortion a close second, according to the preliminary national results of the exit poll conducted for CNN and other news networks by Edison Research.

Approximately one-third called inflation the most important issue to their vote, with about 27% citing abortion. The remainder were roughly divided between picking crime, gun policy and immigration as their chief concerns.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/midterm-election-results-livestream-voting-11-08-2022/index.html

It’s funny you just posted that. I’m currently reading the 538 article on why we shouldn’t read into exit polls today/tonight. 

There’s reasons one of which exit polls become weighted with respect to actual votes to be more accurate about what’s going on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tshile said:

@The Evil Geniusthats why presidential election by popular vote is dumb ;) 

You know what's ****ing dumb? The electoral college. Only a dozen countries use it that's how dumb it is.

Othee countries with electoral college systems include Burundi, Estonia, Kazakhstan, Madagascar, Myanmar, Pakistan, Trinidad and Tobago and Vanuatu. 

Good company no doubt. 🤭

• Thumb down 1

Pretty dumb is thinking a small handful of areas should control the outcome for the entire country, as if that somehow represents America 

but I do understand how changing the rules so you always win seems appealing 😂 

Edited by tshile

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Pretty dumb is thinking a small handful of areas should control the outcome for the entire country, as if that somehow represents America 

As opposed to the same 5 states deciding the highest office in the land every four years? 🤪

Trump literally campaigned in a half dozen states in 2016 n 2020. He was here in NC every damn week. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

As opposed to the same 5 states deciding the highest office in the land every four years? 🤪

Trump literally campaigned in a half dozen states in 2016 n 2020. He was here in NC every damn week. 

I’m split on this.  If I had to decide between rural and urban voters determining my life they both offer a nightmare.  I’m good with a balance for now.  The vision both parties growing extremes are offering holds little appeal to me at this point.  If I have to choose between racist fascists and permanently oppressed anti capitalists, I choose a dome on the moon.