Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2022 (Dems in charge of Senate. Reps take the House. Herschel Walker headed back home to ignore his children )

Cooked Crack

Have you voted yet?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have you voted yet?

• By mail
    • Early voting
    • Not yet
    • can't vote/not voting

Just now, Captain Wiggles said:

Looks like the Republicans lies are still extremely effective. Violent crimes at a all time low yet 30% of the rubes think it's a major issue. 🤦

If you were ever confused about which party is more effective at what they do, you shouldn’t be any longer. 

(general you, you and I have discussed this previously and are on the same page)

These poll options in this thread suck. There’s no “yes I voted” option. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, tshile said:

If you were ever confused about which party is more effective at what they do, you shouldn’t be any longer. 

(general you, you and I have discussed this previously and are on the same page)

No doubt. Republican messaging is usually on point. Repeat the lie enough times and people will believe it. 

19 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Looks like the Republicans lies are still extremely effective. Violent crimes at a all time low yet 30% of the rubes think it's a major issue. 🤦

All time low compared to what?

SmartSelect_20221108_131048_Chrome.jpg.dd755dce4d52d03a190f7dd1858a0f07.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/10/06/health/us-homicide-rate-increase-nchs-study/index.html

https://www.axios.com/2022/10/05/fbi-crime-data-2021-biden-first-year

24 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

No doubt. Republican messaging is usually on point. Repeat the lie enough times and people will believe it. 

I don't think its the messaging so much as a weak minded clientele. I mean, is there ANYTHING they won't believe? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Our school districts don't identify candidates by party so I was glad that my local Democrat party sent out a list of the ones to vote for. My House Rep (R) ran unopposed so I left him blank. He's a big blank and already violated his oath of office when he voted to oppose certified Electors. I have no respect for him as I've written to his website numerous times.

Good wishes to all voters today. May your lines be short and without election disrupters.

My wife and i voted last weekend. We researched the school and education officials and found we didn’t like any of them. We voted for the least harm caused. It’s not a good situation at all

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@Captain Wiggles not sure if you read the links, but are you saying that CDC, FBI, CNN and Axios are all wrong but Pew is right?

You posted homicide numbers specifically tho? I'm saying that violent crimes in general are still incredibly low. The numbers I've seen indicate just that.

The statistics I posted are from the justice bureau not just pew research. 

Edited by Captain Wiggles

2 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

You posted homicide numbers specifically tho? I'm saying that violent crimes in general are still incredibly low. The numbers I've seen indicate just that.

So you didn't read the links, got it (from Axios):

SmartSelect_20221108_133140_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Renegade7

50 minutes ago, tshile said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/2022-midterm-election/348082/

more evidence abortion doesn’t matter as a political issue for elections. 

They're really discounting women in this. You might be surprised in the end.

Not a rhetorical question:  How would you like it if you had your bodily autonomy taken away? Or any other right because if the Christian Nationalist Fascists succeed, you'll be losing a boatload.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

To be clear, what I'm seeing is a need to make sure what they are actually dealing with from a violent crime and overall murder perspective, because theres a lot of conflicting data. 

One side is saying everything is fine, one is saying the opposite, the government is admiting it needs more data to make sure and help set priorities. 

• Thumb down 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I did read it. Violent crime is still at a low level. There hasn't been any massive spike like a certain political party would like one to believe. 

But historically low and compared to what?

The 90s?  10 years ago?  FBI said in the article I linked to at least 5% up in 2020 compared to 2019, and that's based on what we know.

You may not mean to do this, but it comes across like brushing off that things have changed in the last couple years, and jus because one side wants to make it look like the apocalypse doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

That the democrats are the ones actually trying to help them? They definitely never believe that one. 

Touche! I think we need to put a few states on notice after this election: you go red, we leave you alone. Let Florida stay red, let DeSantis run it into the sea, I really don't care anymore. Just don't let the slimeball migrate to the White House. Florida needs to keep its swamp down south.

• Thumb up 1

Here’s where both graphs come from

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/10/31/violent-crime-is-a-key-midterm-voting-issue-but-what-does-the-data-say/

While the total U.S. violent crime rate does not appear to have increased recently, the most serious form of violent crime – murder – has risen significantly during the pandemic. Both the FBI and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported a roughly 30% increase in the U.S. murder rate between 2019 and 2020, marking one of the largest year-over-year increases ever recorded. The FBI’s latest data, as well as provisional data from the CDC, suggest that murders continued to rise in 2021.

Despite the increase in the nation’s murder rate in 2020, the rate remained well below past highs, and murder remains the least common type of violent crime overall.

One important consideration is that official statistics for 2022 are not yet available. Voters might be reacting to an increase in violent crime that has yet to surface in annual government reports. Some estimates from nongovernmental organizations do point to an increase in certain kinds of violent crime in 2022: For example, the Major Cities Chiefs Association, an organization of police executives representing large cities, estimates that robberies and aggravated assaults increased in the first six months of this year compared with the same period the year before.

Voters also might be thinking of specific kinds of violent crime – such as murder, which has risen substantially – rather than the total violent crime rate, which is an aggregate measure that includes several different crime types, such as assault and robbery.

People crafting narratives on both sides. 

im completely shocked

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

“Violent Crime” is racist code language/dog whistling in the context of GOP campaigning and it always has been.

And it always, always, always works like a charm.

I hate to break it to you but no, violent crime is an actual thing that exists. And it is measured and important policies are decided around it. 

Black voters are particularly likely to say violent crime is a very important midterm issue. Black Americans have consistently been more likely than other racial and ethnic groups to express concern about violent crime, and that remains the case this year.

Some 81% of Black registered voters say violent crime is very important to their midterm vote, compared with 65% of Hispanic and 56% of White voters. (There were not enough Asian American voters in the Center’s survey to analyze independently.)

Differences by race are especially pronounced among Democratic registered voters. While 82% of Black Democratic voters say violent crime is very important to their vote this year, only a third of White Democratic voters say the same.

yeah. Racist dog whistle seems to work swell :rolleyes:

• Thumb up 1

Feel blessed to live in a state that recognizes the importance of mailed ballots. Even more, with locked drop boxes outside of the public libraries, the voting process is even easier and I dont have to worry about the DeJoy run post office losing my ballot. Plus, I get a notification from the California SoS when my ballot is received and processed.

After a million plus died in the past 2+ years from covid, there is no reason that in-person voting should have to take place. 

If I can renew my real ID DL online and it's good enough for the TSA, why should I ever be asked to show up and vote in-person?

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1