Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Hard pass on restructure, that makes it harder to cut him in 2022 and beyond.

I thought we could June cut him, but someone mentioned his contract has guarantees kicking in before then, so June 1 won't save the money.  But I haven't seen that repeated elsewhere.

pretty sure his 2021 salary will guarantee through injury some time soon, likely this week, so yes it’s marginal saving really. June 1st cut splits the dead cap to create space now to use I guess, but good point on restructure. I mean, his deal just gets uglier as the years pass.... 

14 minutes ago, justice98 said:

He's just fast.  Reps hasn't been his problem, it's that he's not really a good WR that's his problem.  He's gonna bounce around like Tavon Austin with folks trying to turn that speed into something useful and it probably won't happen.

But I do agree, nobody's coming to play with these QBs, unless they have some promise we're aiming high for one this offseason.  But even then, they could do better than Ross in the bargain bin.

If the plan for the players and agents is to seek one year deals then I would think that guys will go anywhere if the money is right. QB or no QB....There aren't gonna be the usual number of teams throwing money around so some bad teams are gonna land some big fish, even if it's on a one year deal. 

With Milano and David off the board:

Not sure if mentioned here before, but i'd trust Del Rio and Rivera to get the best out of this guy.... definitely worth a look for a former first rounder.

Jarrad Davis, LB - 6'1, 230 - First rounder in 2017 by Detroit

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/3/13/22329275/nfl-free-agency-rumor-jarrad-davis-detroit-lions-competitive-market

"As we hearing it, it won’t be a massive, eyebrow-raising deal. But it could happen fairly quickly. It ultimately could be a one-year contract in the range of $7 million or so. And it will give Davis a chance to show what he can do in a defense that better showcases his abilities."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Hard pass on restructure, that makes it harder to cut him in 2022 and beyond.

I thought we could June cut him, but someone mentioned his contract has guarantees kicking in before then, so June 1 won't save the money.  But I haven't seen that repeated elsewhere.

I've seen that said but wouldn't June 1sting him split the money between the years though

8 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Not sure if mentioned here before, but i'd trust Del Rio and Rivera to get the best out of this guy.... definitely worth a look for a former first rounder.

Jarrad Davis, LB - 6'1, 230 - First rounder in 2017 by Detroit

Yeah he’s been brought up a few times. Agree he’s worth a look, if we think we can coach him up a level.

Washington Free Agency Shopping: Positional Preview - TE's

CHRIS RUSSELL
2 HOURS AGO

ASHBURN, Va. -- Logan Thomas had a breakout year in 2020, his first with the Washington Football Team. Ron Rivera and other kept pumping him up in the offseason and training camp, we saw it but then it totally translated.

Thomas still has plenty of room to grow and because this team could stand to play more '12' personnel, it's more than reasonable that they target a tight end to add to the mix in free agency.

The real question is how much are they willing to spend and do they want another pass catching talent that isn't a tremendous blocker or do they want a better blocker (than Jeremy Sprinkle) who is limited as a pass catcher.

Sprinkle is a free agent. Temarrick Hemingway, Thaddeus Moss and Marcus Baugh are still under contract. Moss missed all of his rookie season on I-R.

The Top Three:

1. Hunter Henry - Los Angeles Chargers: Henry is the most talented player of the group but blew out his knee in 2018 and hasn't totally been the same. He's still plenty good but going to cost plenty of money and it's hard to see Washington getting involved at the expected price tag.

2. Jonnu Smith - Tennessee Titans: A breakout year in 2020 after serving notice in 2019, Smith seems destined to take on an even bigger role in a pass heavy offense. The Falcons figure to be the front runner for him because of the connection to Arthur Smith but plenty of teams will come calling.

3. Gerald Everett - Los Angeles Rams: As Cole Thompson wrote, Everett might be the best fit for Washington.

He's not even 27 yet and torched the WFT early and often in the first half of a loss to the Rams last year. He's very good after the catch as well.

Final Analysis: We expect the WFT to spend some money here to try and upgrade their two-tight end looks and also because Thomas is only under contract for one more year.

Our Pick: Everett seems like a good fit, both in role and potential cost. 

17 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

pretty sure his 2021 salary will guarantee through injury some time soon, likely this week, so yes it’s marginal saving really. June 1st cut splits the dead cap to create space now to use I guess, but good point on restructure. I mean, his deal just gets uglier as the years pass.... 

Looks like day 5 of new year and I believe Wednesday is day 1.

image.png.92934531086c933de34bd99707b06212.png

2. Washington Football Team

Like the Bears, Washington has an excellent defense, one that should continue to emerge as Chase Young and Montez Sweat improve. But they released Alex Smith and 2019 first-round pick Dwayne Haskins, and the only healthy QB on their roster is one-game wonder Taylor Heinicke. A playoff berth at 7-9 may have hurt their chances to secure a quarterback at the top of the draft.

Best fit: Jameis Winston

Value: Tyrod Taylor

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If the plan for the players and agents is to seek one year deals then I would think that guys will go anywhere if the money is right. QB or no QB....There aren't gonna be the usual number of teams throwing money around so some bad teams are gonna land some big fish, even if it's on a one year deal. 

I think the one year deal thing makes it more unlikely.  There's still gonna need to be some discretion involved on the player's side.  Because nobody's gonna want to bank on one year in a situation with suspect QBing and down production, and go back on the market trying to cash in with their numbers in the toilet.  But we'll see. 

Edited by justice98

ESPN 980 going all in on Golladay to DC:

Washington Football Team signs Kenny Golladay

The Detroit Lions opting not to use the franchise tag on Kenny Golladay was a surprise, making him the top wide receiver available on the free-agent market.

Plenty of teams will be in on Golladay: the Patriots, Giants, Dolphins … but how about the Washington Football Team as a landing spot for the 27-year-old receiver?

WFT made an aggressive pursuit of Amari Cooper last offseason and adding another receiver opposite Terry McLaurin would give the franchise an impressive receiving corps to work with for whoever becomes quarterback there.

Washington has some cap space to do some spending, so keep an eye on them as the team that potentially lands Golladay.

13 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

2. Jonnu Smith - Tennessee Titans: A breakout year in 2020 after serving notice in 2019, Smith seems destined to take on an even bigger role in a pass heavy offense. The Falcons figure to be the front runner for him because of the connection to Arthur Smith but plenty of teams will come calling.

I get the 8 TD is nice but calling 2020 a breakout year with 6 more catches and 8 more yards from the previous season (neither number being all that great) seems like a reach.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd be happy with both.  Jonno is my top FA want right now.

I wonder why no one is asking why the Titans won't bring them back this year....are they that cash strapped or is there an underlying issue? 

Edited by tmandoug1

1 minute ago, tmandoug1 said:

I wonder why noone is asking why the Titans won't bring them back this year....are they that cash strapped or is there an underlying issue? 

They have 15 mill cap right now.  Run first team, maybe they just think they can replace for cheaper.  Is interesting how many high(ish) ranked FAs are leaving them.

Breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/15/mmqb-drew-brees-retires-free-agency-dak-prescott-deal

On the flip side, I think the opposite will happen for backs and receivers—and maybe some offensive linemen too. The draft class is loaded at receiver again, and has depth beyond brand names like DeVonta Smith, Ja'Marr Chase, Jaylen Waddle and Rashod Bateman; it has a whole bunch of viable immediate-starter tailback options, in Travis Etienne, Najee Harris and Javonte Williams, among others; and is both strong at the top and deep along the offensive line. That’s why it’s tough to see Green Bay’s Jamaal Williams, Arizona’s Kenyan Drake or Seattle’s Chris Carson really cashing in; and why older players at the other two spots, like Indy’s T.Y. Hilton, Cincinnati’s A.J. Green, or Pittsburgh’s Al Villanueva might not like what they find out there this week. These sorts of conditions can affect a free-agent position group in any year. But especially in a year like this, where teams are so actively looking for bargains to fit under a tighter cap.

I have more random thoughts on free agency to give you. Here are 10 …

6) Everyone’s looking for gamebreakers, copy-catting what the Chiefs have built. So in the receiver group, Houston’s Will Fuller, Las Vegas’s Nelson Agholor and Carolina’s Curtis Samuel all stand out to me as guys who should be in decent shape, despite the depressed market.

5 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

I wonder why no one is asking why the Titans won't bring them back this year....are they that cash strapped or is there an underlying issue? 

https://news.yahoo.com/report-tennessee-titans-won-t-145226258.html

The Tennessee Titans will reportedly part ways with wide receiver Corey Davis and tight end Jonnu Smith, according to ESPN’s Dianna Russini, something both players are aware of.

If this holds true, that means Davis and Smith will end up with new teams in 2021 and the Titans will have some work to do in replacing two of their offensive weapons.

John Glennon of Broadway Sports reports this isn’t yet a certainty, however he notes it is likely.

While we expected the Titans not to retain Smith because of his expected price and limited utilization in the offense, Davis was a different story.

The former No. 5 overall pick was the team’s No. 2 option in the passing game and had a career year in 2020 as part of a dangerous duo with A.J. Brown.

However, with the Titans being strapped for cash this offseason and having several big needs to fill, it certainly isn’t shocking for Tennessee to avoid paying out significant money for a No. 2 receiver.

• Thanks 1