Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

11 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

I would imagine, because of the things you mention, the league doesn't feel too different and that's why I'm not convinced he goes elsewhere.  If they can be in the 3/24-27 range I don't mind it too much.  With the cap down, maybe he'd rather a 1 year deal.  IDK, but either way I'm glad they didn't go crazy here.

I'd probably hold my nose and sign him at that amount, but corner is always on everyone's wish list and there are plenty of dumb teams.  Would not at all be surprised to see a team like the Jets, Jags, or Bengals go higher.  Darby is not going to leave a single penny on the table, he's made that much clear.  And I have no problem with that approach, just stating the facts.  His top three priorities are money.

Edited by 86 Snyder

21 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

I've got a feeling that we won't be Big players when free Agency starts, paying Sherff the franchise Tag £18m tells me we'll wait for 2nd tier and prove it one year deals. 

I disagree. I think one of the first moves will be securing Trubisky and a WR.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am all for Harris. He is a baller. But that raises a question of what the plan is for Collins. Curl won the strong spot last year plain and simple. Maybe Collins can add 15-20 pounds and play MLB?

Many mention we play nickel a bunch (4-2-5).  Could Darby (or replacement), Fuller, Curl, Harris and Collins all be on the field at same time?  Have Holcomb and Jayon Brown and those 5.  That's a solid back 7.  Pending Darby returning (or adequate replacement) and Collins health...

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am all for Harris. He is a baller. But that raises a question of what the plan is for Collins. Curl won the strong spot last year plain and simple. Maybe Collins can add 15-20 pounds and play MLB?

Maybe Collins plays the big nickel role as that kinda 3rd LB.  Most defenses now have 3 safeties on the field 70-75% of the time.  Only problem with that is Collins is not great tackling in space.

Edited by drowland
  • Like 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Hopefully the plan is to cut his ass after this season.  I'm sure we can create some packages that utilize his limited skillset in the meantime.

• Sad 1

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think us and the Browns have been getting out name thrown out there quite a bit. I’d actually be quite surprised with a significant move at safety. Think the Rayshawn Jenkins link seems more realistic, but who knows...

Harris has been mentioned since last year prior to tag.  So I'd imagine it was continues from that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dexter said:

Why not?  He's as physically gifted as any player in the NFL, he just needs more reps and he's incredibly young.  Plus, I don't see guys knocking the door down to come play Heinicke and Kyle Allen.  

John Ross could blow up in this offense if given the opportunity. 

He's just fast.  Reps hasn't been his problem, it's that he's not really a good WR that's his problem.  He's gonna bounce around like Tavon Austin with folks trying to turn that speed into something useful and it probably won't happen.

But I do agree, nobody's coming to play with these QBs, unless they have some promise we're aiming high for one this offseason.  But even then, they could do better than Ross in the bargain bin.

Edited by justice98

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

This was my concern and I stated it in a post sometime back about being cheap with the players.  We shall see if that's the case when the numbers come out.  

I’m quite pleased we haven’t thrown what looks like a ton of cash at Darby. I said, I think Fuller on the deal his is kind of covers the bulk of the cash off in that position. Will see what Darby either gets elsewhere, or maybe takes here on a lower offer.

Maybe we think we can add CB in the draft, premium position so no harm in getting a rookie contract on the books at that slot.

• Like 2

Just now, clskinsfan said:

he had a bad leg injury, he has not wanted to play LB  in the past and you think it's reasonable for him to add weight and shift positions?  that doesn't seem like a big improvement on how to spend the money on him.  Basically he's either a very expensive backup safety or a June 1st cut.  Or maybe we can work out a deal that could cut down his cap number

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carex said:

he had a bad leg injury, he has not wanted to play LB  in the past and you think it's reasonable for him to add weight and shift positions?  that doesn't seem like a big improvement on how to spend the money on him.  Basically he's either a very expensive backup safety or a June 1st cut.  Or maybe we can work out a deal that could cut down his cap number

Agree, he should restructure or be a Post June cut.

1 minute ago, carex said:

The leg injury may make him more willing to play in the box. He wont have to chase WR's all over the field and he will still have sideline to sideline speed. I was just thinking out loud more than anything else. There is no point in cutting Collins this season. He will cost us 1.3 million against the cap to cut him. May as well see what you can get out of him this season. 

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

This may sound a daft question but as somebody who is reasonably new to the free agency process, if an agreement is made today is the franchise allowed to announce it today?

They won't announce anything until official and it can't be official until Wednesday.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lovi said:

They won't announce anything until official and it can't be official until Wednesday.

The 2021 NFL league year begins on Wednesday, March 17, at 4:00 p.m. ET. That’s when teams can officially sign unrestricted free agents, traded players make their dents in the salary cap, and franchise-tagged players do the same.

Starting at 12:00 p.m. ET on Monday, March 16 through 3:59:59 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 17, teams are permitted to contact and enter into contract  negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents upon expiration of their 2019 player contracts at 4:00 p.m. ET on March 17.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-free-agency-2021-when-does-free-agency-begin-start-2021/

Edited by ODU AGGIE

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agree, he should restructure or be a Post June cut.

Hard pass on restructure, that makes it harder to cut him in 2022 and beyond.

I thought we could June cut him, but someone mentioned his contract has guarantees kicking in before then, so June 1 won't save the money.  But I haven't seen that repeated elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Nah, the deals will be announced, just don’t take effect until Wednesday.

It'll be known and announced to a point.  Beat writers will announce all over the place, but the team will make formal announcements when it makes the most sense.  Usually everyone knows long before they post much.  In any case, should be a fun ride in the next hour or so.

Best time of the year to have a twitter account...

Edited by Lovi