Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

All of this talk of OTs is really making me nervous about our linebacker spot. I know... I keep saying it. But I’m terrified. 

I cant imagine Rivera and JDR, two former LBers, neglecting that position like that. We'll draft one early in the draft im thinking. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I cant imagine Rivera and JDR, two former LBers, neglecting that position like that. We'll draft one early in the draft im thinking. 

We did last year. Nothing says they don’t do it again.

We will see.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We did last year. Nothing says they don’t do it again.

We will see.

We had a million needs and Chase was a no-brainer. After that we didn't pick til the third. Granted I would have gone LB there (Baun was still on the board), but what can you do?

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

C. They cost lots and lots of money so getting one cheap helps the cap over the long haul.   Receivers are easier to find and you often can get them cheaper as far as cost in FA and as far as what type of draft capital (high pick or not) you need to use to get one. 

I think there in lies the allure to a LT that can be a corner stone on a rookie contract for 4 or 5 years, because finding a good one in free agency will cost a mint. Its not the sexy pick and its not in my opinion as big of a need as LB, but if you can get a stud LT on the cheap you have to consider it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

We had a million needs and Chase was a no-brainer. After that we didn't pick til the third. Granted I would have gone LB there (Baun was still on the board), but what can you do?

1 minute ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I thought Rivera said last year was basically an evaluation year though. Surely he has evaluated Bostic by now and knows he sucks. 

Linebacker was among our largest and our attempt to address it was a vet who wasn’t good and a vet who was eyeing retirement

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Linebacker was among our largest and our attempt to address it was a vet who wasn’t good and a vet who was eyeing retirement

I honestly think he brought Davis in to evaluate the other backers. He didn't play much, wasn't really expected to, but I think Ron wanted him there to give his personal opinion on what the team had there. I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas ends up as a LB coach somewhere. As someone said, it was an evaluation period and frankly the team didn't see anyone at any time that was worth neglecting elsewhere. 

Outside of Chase all the other picks were at big positions of need. 

52 minutes ago, KDawg said:

All of this talk of OTs is really making me nervous about our linebacker spot. I know... I keep saying it. But I’m terrified. 

This was your 27,000th post.  I'm not commenting on the size per se, or your loquaciousness (loquacity?), but just the huge round number.  27 with 3 zeroes after it.  

Nice

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, GothSkinsFan said:

This was your 27,000th post.  I'm not commenting on the size per se, or your loquaciousness (loquacity?), but just the huge round number.  27 with 3 zeroes after it.  

Nice

Been here since '03. 18 years. 

1,500/year. If I were a car I'd be in great shape. 

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I honestly think he brought Davis in to evaluate the other backers. He didn't play much, wasn't really expected to, but I think Ron wanted him there to give his personal opinion on what the team had there. I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas ends up as a LB coach somewhere. As someone said, it was an evaluation period and frankly the team didn't see anyone at any time that was worth neglecting elsewhere. 

Outside of Chase all the other picks were at big positions of need. 

I'm not speaking to the fact that we aren't going to upgrade at LB, by the way. But with all of the potential BPA options in the draft I'm not so sure the draft is going to be the spot we do it... IF we do it. It may be... There's a few LBs that could be options in the mid rounds that could make an almost immediate impact.

Logan Wilson last year would have been a good get. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Nice

How many if we remove all the LB posts?  😆 

• Haha 14

Listening to Keim's podcast now.

Something thus far to add.  

Receiver in particular slot in play in FA/draft.  Could go early in th draft.  Thinks more likely a LT in the first because great depth at Wr in the draft.

People close to Harry think WFT is the right fit for him because they think he would respond more to Rivera's style of coaching versus Belichick.

He doubled down on the Standig report on Montez learning to be a T. Hill type of QB. 

Bostic's emergence makes them feel more comfortable than earlier in the season.  He said they might sign a FA LB but probably not a big name.  He doesn't strongly believe they will take a LB ior maybe two in the upcoming draft

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think we’re going to grab one. Right now the only ILB prospects that are round 1 types are Collins and Parsons. Parsons has... issues. The hype seems to be around LT... and while that could be a smoke screen it also could be where we wind up looking if Collins is off the board.

I think LB is something we’ll look at in round 2 and below. I just hope we snag a guy like Werner or someone of that style of backer and don’t get frozen out.

I do find myself intrigued with Jayson Oweh right now... 4.34 50, 6-5 257, 39.5 vert... wonder if they think he can transition.

While I hope for Collins in the first, I am getting the fuzzy feeling the LT and TE talk is not a smoke screen. I figure like you the 2nd or 3rd is where they address LB.

The recent talk of Oweh and Ossai are certainly interesting but they come probably with more learning time for the position that Collins will require. One thing for certain is all 3 are freakish.

The transitions is what scares me. Feel like a Werner may be the closest to plug and play of the whole lot even if not as physically gifted as all the others.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bostic's emergence makes them feel more comfortable than earlier in the season.  He said they might sign a FA LB but probably not a big name.  He doesn't strongly believe they will take a LB ior maybe two in the upcoming draft

You mean DOES, just not at 19?

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He was late for the party too much and got sloppy seconds on many of his tackles up field....

Edited by DWinzit

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Something thus far to add.  

Receiver in particular slot in play in FA/draft.  Could go early in th draft.  Thinks more likely a LT in the first because great depth at Wr in the draft.

People close to Harry think WFT is the right fit for him because they think he would respond more to Rivera's style of coaching versus Belichick.

He doubled down on the Standig report on Montez learning to be a T. Hill type of QB. 

Harry has multiple upon multiple concussions.  Why, why, why RR and Mayhew?  This guy is a walking hazard!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

My point was I don't think AH signing should have anything to do with it: for example, if they have bateman rated higher than cosmi, take bateman.  Don't pass on bateman just bc we added AH.  UNLESS... What you stated in point 3: they could veer from BPA if they feel mid to late rounds, or even FA, is stocked with good options at WR, and that would be better overall approach.  But the only way that makes sense is if you feel there are good long term options at wr, or if as a general principle, WRs can always be found on the cheap in FA. 

But again, the single act of signing AH should not have anything to do with the approach imo.  

I mostly agree.   I'd add though it doesn't have to be depth being the determining factor.   You mention a grading hierarchy but what if there isn't one that seperates players that distinctly in some cases?  What if players are rated about the same at that same pick.  that's certainly a possibility in this draft in particular considering the top heavy talent at both OT and WR.  In that case heck yeah having a hole at a spot versus being more loaded at a spot would tip the balance.

I've heard Scot among others talk about being in situations where the grades of players are identical or similar enough at spots.  And the depth at the spot comes into play like you and I have mentioned. 

I am a big BPA guy. so I am with you in the spirit of your point.   But also I do also buy that some positions have more value than others.   LT bigger value IMO than WR if the two players are equal enough -- and there are multiple reasons why. 

• Like 3

The Steven Montez/Taysom Hill thing is just stupid. He won’t make the roster. Taysom hill is a 94th percentile SPARQ athlete at the QB position with very functional agility. Montez is a lumbering 6’5” who ran almost a 4.7 with a poor (for a skill player, fine for a QB) 3-cone.

It was a long time ago (he was an over-aged BYU QB) but Taysom Hill had a season in college where he ran for almost 1400 rushing yards and 10 TDs. Montez is barely an NFL athlete at the position he already stinks at lol, in no universe (even if Taysom Hill weren’t an aberration himself, historically) is he going to be a flex player or become “our Taysom Hill”. It’s extremely dumb on every level. 

Nevermind the fact that Taysom Hill is perhaps the only time in memory that such a flex player has “worked” at QB in the NFL, and it’s mainly because Sean Payton is damn stubborn and has the power, cache, and ingenuity to make it work. He was like a pet project and is already over 30. It’s crazy he’s had the time in the limelight that he has, even if it’s cool. The vast, vast majority of these attempts at making a QB a tweener with “special packages” just for them fails miserably or never actually emerges from the smokescreen-filled depths of preseason. There have been 50 Denard Robinsons. One single Taysom Hill kinda worked out at the NFL level (for 2-3 season so far), and it took a potential HOF-level HC and play caller as well as a great offense already helmed by a HOF passer secure in his position. This is not the kind of thing where any team can just take an athlete (nevermind one as mediocre as Montez) at the position and duplicate it—that’s not just wasted snaps but wasted practice and meeting time, hell this post was a waste of typing time lol, it’s not happening and if it did for some reason it wouldn’t work. Not without a way better athlete and a LOT of commitment from the coaching staff and a hell of a lot of luck, really. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, RWJ said:

IF Humphries signs they will have filled that hole your talking about.  He's at the facility so I expect that to happen.  So you like QB in the 3rd.  Who.  

If we are able to sign Humphries and fill that slot-receiver spot, I see the updated Draftec 7-round updated as a good template.

#19: Draftec has us taking Bateman, but Darrisaw, Leatherwood, Collins and Etienne are still there. So, I chose:
           #19 OT Darrisaw
#51: Draftec has us taking Freiermuth. So, to make it easy, I chose:
          #51 TE Freiermuth
#74: Draftec has us taking Nasirildeen. So, easy, I chose:
          #74 S Nasirildeen
#82: Draftec has us taking McGrone. So, easy, I chose:
          #82 OLB McGrone
I am not a talent evaluator or a draft geek. The only things I know, I've learned from ya'll here on ES. I don't feel comfortable diving any further into later rounds except to say that according to Draftec, QB Mond and WR Surratt are available at our 4th pick, and TE Tremble and WR Amari Rogers are there in the 5th. Later picks can net other needs.

I just wanted to show that even with the updated mocks(after major FA moves), we are still looking good. I have no idea if Draftec is even a good draft evaluator. They seem to have WFT pretty close to what we need though, so there is that. But signing Humphries would be the cherry on top of a fabulous FA period. And one we haven't seen in decades. A+

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Harry has multiple upon multiple concussions.  Why, why, why RR and Mayhew?  This guy is a walking hazard!

Going FA WR shopping this year does not make much sense to me considering how very deep this class is aside from the obvious major players. We can get both a good slot and outside receiver in this draft with ease IMO.

Edited by Chump Bailey

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Keim's take is their thinking is they don't feel desperate to replace him with a veteran.  But he's said in another podcast they like the depth at LB in this draft and falt out said in his podcast today they intend to take a LB.  Sounds like though its unlikely going to be in the first round.  Will see. 

1 minute ago, mudhog said:

#74: Draftec has us taking Nasirildeen. So, easy, I chose:
          #74 S Nasirildeen

If we could only morph Nasirildeen and Moehrig into one player. Might be the closest comparison to Sean Taylor and still be a ways off to being close.

8 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Going FA WR shopping this year does not make much sense to me considering how very deep this class is aside from the obvious major players. We can get both a good slot and outside receiver in this draft with ease IMO.

Will see if Keim ends up right but he seems to be saying:  LT (likely first) TE (I'd guess 2nd-3rd). LB somewhere in the mix I'd assume (2nd or third) and maybe a QB.

So that takes you all the way to the 4th round to start looking at  WR. 

The thing about the draft is as we know it is like the cap -- there are so many picks you got and there are so many things you can address.  I recall Scot after the 2016 draft when they were desperate for a DT said after the draft that heck well the board didn't fall their way at that spot, and they had so many picks -- conclusion DT is still weak. 

The more we address in FA the less likely we are going to have some big gap at a spot.  I love the draft for WR.  But I also love LT.  And i think TE-LB is very intriguing early.    FS isn't bad early, too.  Some spot will lose out.

Once we hit the 4th-7th round, these dudes are typical more likely to be fliers as we know.    So if you miss on one of them (which the odds are good for a miss) you'd want a veteran so that spot isn't a disaster IMO. 

12 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

It says people close to Harry feel this would be the better place...not WFT or Rivera

Yep.  Seems like what the hint on that front is Rivera is a mix between good cop and bad cop.  And Belichick is only bad cop.  And Harry responds better to coaching like Rivera. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Stats?

Cam Sims barely has 500 yds in 3 years

S. Sims has more than that in 2

Isiah Wright is on current pace for 600 after 3

If Cam Sims wants a fan crush he can earn it outside of preseason first. I've seen more out of Wright and S. Sims and I'd like to see them upgraded, let alone C. Sims.

Heck, he was a draft pick but even J. Doctson gave you far more by now, more than double C. Sims output. I can't just accept C. Sims makes some kind of God-level jump just to be respectable.

He is a primary de-facto contributor on the outside ATM, but that says more about our depth and construction than his skill.

Cam Sims went unused for 2 years under different coaches. You talk about Sims and Wright having more yards in 3 years, but it took Cam Sims one season to make more yards than Sims and Wright made this year combined.

You're putting him down because he isn't a practice warrior like Taylor Jacobs or Marko Mitchell. I want receivers who actually show up on game day, which Cam did when he was finally given the opportunity.

Again, I have not once advocated that Cam is an automatic #2. But writing him off as hardly deserving a roster spot after pushing Wright and Steven? Puhleeze.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Cam Sims went unused for 2 years under different coaches. You talk about Sims and Wright having more yards in 3 years, but it took Cam Sims one season to make more yards than Sims and Wright made this year combined.

You want practice warriors. I want receivers who actually show up on game day, which Cam did when he was finally given the opportunity.

Again, I have not once advocated that Cam is an automatic #2. But writing him off as hardly deserving a roster spot after pushing Wright and Steven? Puhleeze.

Since this is the FREE AGENCY thread I'd say that McLaurin & Samuels are clearly #1 &#2.  The #3 & 4 guys are obviously upgradeable.  Those guys you both are debating, are still young and should get a chance to compete for that 4th and 5th roster spots, but they clearly want to upgrade the #3 slot guy.  I think that puts Cam in the 4th receiver category.  Though he did put up some yards in 2020, it was less about his increased skill level and more about opportunities opposite McLaurin.  He played well in most appearances, but dropped too many balls and quit on his routes to be a #1 or #2 WR option.  That's very clear on review of his season and was magnified on his first attempted catch in the playoff game.  There he caused a drop by quitting early on his route and dropped a pass that he had both hands on.  That's why he can't be a #1 or #2 and is really a 4th or 5th WR talent on most decent NFL WR depth charts.