Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

If we’re playing the tag game with Chase I’m gonna be pissed.

Agree. There is an argument to say you extend him early, nearer the time anyway. Same with Terry Mclaurin for me. Once he’s past that 3rd season, you think seriously about rewarding him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Nope. Unless the cap goes higher (read: than projected) I think there’s a better chance we keep Payne/Allen/Ioan and Young than us paying two DEs. 

I think ultimately we keep 2 of the DTs and 1 of the defensive ends.

To be honest I don’t think we need all of these guys in these spots long term but love that we have them while they’re all cheap.

Hopefully we can pull what the niners did and trade one of them just before their payday and get a first round pick to replace him.

That was a brilliant move.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Wait, TB still had money to resign Suh for 9 mil and extend Donovan Smith at 16 per? I thought he was done and they were trying to unload him?!!

Smith was set to count 14mil against the cap. They added 2 extra years onto his deal, convert this years money to bonus to spread the cap hit, immediately creating 10mil in space this year.

They then give that 10mil to Suh ......

The league knows the cap is going to sky rocket. I think we have missed the memo a little. Or Dan needs the cash to buy the team.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agree. There is an argument to say you extend him early, nearer the time anyway. Same with Terry Mclaurin for me. Once he’s past that 3rd season, you think seriously about rewarding him.

I will be curious to see how that plays out. Because McLaurin has been making $900k to $1m a year. That's not chump change for a 24 year old, by any means. But come this time next year, do you think he'd rather play another year on $1m and get tagged for $16m or sign an extension that gets him like $30m in his pocket?

I'd be curious to see if there's a correlation between success on extensions off rookie deals for players drafted after Round 1. I doubt there's anything out there, but it would be interesting to see.

By the time Chase reaches his 6th year, he'll have made around $55-60 million. By the time Terry reaches the end of his rookie deal (with 1 last year) he'll have made around $4m?

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Hopefully we can pull what the niners did and trade one of them just before their payday and get a first round pick to replace him.

That was a brilliant move.

Well they traded one of the interior guys, so I absolutely agree.  Allen would be my first choice but he's a culture guy and captain so I just don't see it happening.  Ion is already locked up which leaves Payne, who is probably the highest potential of the three.  

Young and Sweat should be the untouchable building blocks of the defense.  Lock them up ASAP.

Actually, Ion is a UFA in 2023 which is sooner than I though, so maybe just let it play out and he walks.  Or you trade him in the offseason before 2022.

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We won’t be paying both of the DEs. 

I couldn’t disagree more: every single one of our DT’s is replaceable. There are multiple guys of that caliber in the draft every year. 

Find me another 6’6” DE, that runs a 4.4 and can stop the run. Sweat is as big a unicorn as there is in the league. Chase Young is Chase Young. Those are the guys you build around. Keep them locked up and continue replacing the other parts with draft picks. 

We need to find a QB, or build a dangerous offense, and model our team after Peyton Manning’s colts that built the D around Dwight Freeney and Mathis. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

Find me another 6’6” DE, that runs a 4.4 and can stop the run. Sweat is as big a unicorn as there is in the league. Chase Young is Chase Young. Those are the guys you build around. Keep them locked up and continue replacing the other parts with draft picks. 

Yep I’m inclined to agree. Can’t wait to see them in action this season. That’s should pretty much define what we have on our hands in that duo.

11 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I couldn’t disagree more: every single one of our DT’s is replaceable. There are multiple guys of that caliber in the draft every year. 

We need to find a QB, or build a dangerous offense, and model our team after Peyton Manning’s colts that built the D around Dwight Freeney and Mathis. 

What are you disagreeing with?

My thought that we won’t pay them? Because it seems like your post was disagreeing with me under the assumption I don’t want both of them, which is beyond false.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

What are you disagreeing with?

My thought that we won’t pay them? Because it seems like your post was disagreeing with me under the assumption I don’t want both of them, which is beyond false.

Yes. I think they are the only two members of the defense that we will prioritize keeping once their contracts come due. Unless of course there are confounding factors such as injury or behavioral issues. 

Also, I enjoy disagreeing with you because your reasoning is usually well thought out and you know a lot about football. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Well they traded one of the interior guys, so I absolutely agree.  Allen would be my first choice but he's a culture guy and captain so I just don't see it happening.  Ion is already locked up which leaves Payne, who is probably the highest potential of the three.  

Young and Sweat should be the untouchable building blocks of the defense.  Lock them up ASAP.

Actually, Ion is a UFA in 2023 which is sooner than I though, so maybe just let it play out and he walks.  Or you trade him in the offseason before 2022.

This may be a factor, but I hope this isn't the reason they keep him.  I agree it's important, but if they got a first what stops them from drafting a DT with a great attitude?  Only saying because I agree Payne is higher ceiling.  I don't think Ion gets a higher pick, so I don't think he is in same conversation (regardless of his UFA status).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Yep, we want our friends in the NFC East to have to deal with Chase and Sweat for the next 10 years which rides me into Social Security....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Yes. I think they are the only two members of the defense that we will prioritize keeping once their contracts come due. Unless of course there are confounding factors such as injury or behavioral issues. 

Also, I enjoy disagreeing with you because your reasoning is usually well thought out and you know a lot about football. 

I think it all depends on what’s coming due. Whoever we draft this year is going to be 2 years off Sweat’s payday and one year off Chase’s. Then consider McLaurin likely coming up again within a relatively short time frame (I bet he signs a three year deal). A quarterback could be on the books for a big contract unless we draft a high end one in the first round next year. Allen/Payne could be up again if we re-up them at which point we are probably getting close to moving on from at least one, but maybe they become a must have and we need to pay them.

Then consider the cost of an edge. 

There’s a lot of factors so I can’t for sure right now we won’t keep both. But if things stay relatively static I actually think we keep 2/3 DTs and 1 Edge of the current group. 

Another factor is: do we find a diamond in the rough later in the draft at edge? At DT? A guy that allows us to trade one of the other guys for draft choices to restock the cupboard? Good teams look to make moves like that.

Ugh, N'Keal Harry huh. I should have seen this coming with Ron's infatuation with Kelvin Benjamin types. To be successful he would have to go through the Terry McLaurin School of Route Running and the Curtis Samuel School of Speed. This guy gets no separation on his routes, he's not even better than Cam Sims lol. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think it all depends on what’s coming due. Whoever we draft this year is going to be 2 years off Sweat’s payday and one year off Chase’s. Then consider McLaurin likely coming up again within a relatively short time frame (I bet he signs a three year deal). A quarterback could be on the books for a big contract unless we draft a high end one in the first round next year. Allen/Payne could be up again if we re-up them at which point we are probably getting close to moving on from at least one, but maybe they become a must have and we need to pay them.

I love McLaurin, and we need to pay him. But, I’d rather lose McLaurin than Sweat or Chase. It’s just so much easier to find a good WR. College is pumping them out in droves. There is a real scarcity of elite edge type players and that’s what makes them so valuable. I think an elite edge is the second hardest thing to find, right behind QB.

Also, I would not be thrilled with Nkeal Harry. I’m so fatigued of watching WFT bring in receivers that can’s separate. I’d be much happier if we just draft some guys that can run. We don’t have to have another elite player on the outside, but whoever we stick out there should be able to keep the secondary honest. I’d obviously love a well rounded guy.

I don’t think we need to spend enormous draft capital to solidify that outside spot. We could probably draft Tylan Wallace in round 3. Wallace, Samuel and McLaurin would be a massive and balanced upgrade over what we fielded last year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Smith was set to count 14mil against the cap. They added 2 extra years onto his deal, convert this years money to bonus to spread the cap hit, immediately creating 10mil in space this year.

They then give that 10mil to Suh ......

The league knows the cap is going to sky rocket. I think we have missed the memo a little. Or Dan needs the cash to buy the team.

I forgot he had a year left

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, method man said:

Here is our first example of Mayhew's incompetence potentially playing out

N’Keal Harry, 6-foot-4, 228 lbs., WR, Arizona State: Harry is a first-round talent who may fall to the second round depending on how teams value other receivers like D.K. Metcalf and Marquise Brown. But Harry loves to block, he’s effective after the catch and makes contested catches — everything Rivera wants in a receiver. If he’s somehow still around when Carolina picks at No. 47 overall, Marty Hurney should seriously consider the former Sun Devil.