Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

DOJ establishing new unit focused on domestic terrorism

The Department of Justice (DOJ) is launching a unit dedicated specifically to domestic terrorism, the department's top national security official told lawmakers Tuesday.

Matthew Olsen, the assistant attorney general for national security, made the announcement as he noted that the number of domestic terror investigations launched by the FBI has more than doubled since March 2020.

The DOJ already has a counterterrorism unit designed to handle both international and domestic cases.

“I decided to establish a domestic terrorism unit to augment our existing approach,” Olsen said.

“This group of dedicated attorneys will focus on the domestic terrorism threat, helping to ensure that these cases are handled properly and effectively coordinated across the Department of Justice and across the country.”

The formation of the unit shows the pains the Justice Department is taking to refocus attention on a growing domestic terror threat after spending years primarily dedicated to international terror groups following 9/11.

Domestic terrorism cases can present more complexities given U.S. laws protecting free speech of all stripes.

“We've seen a growing threat from those who are motivated by racial animus as well as those who ascribe to extremist anti-government and anti-authority ideologies,” he said.

FBI National Security Branch Executive Assistant Director Jill Sanborn also testified at the hearing, echoing other national security experts in warning of lone wolf actors.

“The greatest terrorism threat facing the United States today remains that posed by lone actors or small cells, who typically radicalized online and look to use easily accessible weapons to attack soft targets,” she said.

But Olsen also faced questions from Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) about why the department hasn’t been pursuing enhanced terrorism penalties for those involved in the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the Capitol.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

Damn Liz Cheney is really giving it to her colleagues these days. I mean, she still votes with them. Im pretty sure she's not calling for voting rights either. But at least shes not holding back on making fools of them. Which is enjoyable. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Damn Liz Cheney is really giving it to her colleagues these days. I mean, she still votes with them. Im pretty sure she's not calling for voting rights either. But at least shes not holding back on making fools of them. Which is enjoyable. 

Unless Liz votes for voting rights, at a minimum, all this stuff she says is grandstanding. She's not upholding her oath of office either.

• Thanks 4
  • Thumb up 1

29 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Unless Liz votes for voting rights, at a minimum, all this stuff she says is grandstanding. She's not upholding her oath of office either.

Oh dont get me wrong, neither her or Kinzinger get any credit at all from me. I know exactly what they are. I just like watching her embarrass the jackasses. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

It's not surprising that the lesser charged people are going first except those wanting trials. It takes longer to gather the evidence for the more serious charges. Now we're hearing about this next group. Next up are administration people, after that elected officials. 

Exactly. I hope to see them go as far up the chain they can. If these guys are getting sedition, I still have my hopes up for treason. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Who woulda guessed...

The "braintrust"?  

I'm thinking of my favorite line from Star Trek.  At 2:48.  Uhura's response to "I'll protect you, fair maiden."  

Edited by Larry
  • Haha 1