Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

Not surprised at all about the military representation. 

honestly the more patriotic someone appears to be the more likely they are to be a trumper and one of these people, in my experience. 

My wife gave me a sweatshirt with an F-18 Hornet on it, and the word Hornet is spelled out with a flag motif.

I definitely feel self conscious wearing it because I think you're right,, typically that is part of their uniform.

~Bang

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tshile said:

honestly the more patriotic someone appears to be the more likely they are to be a trumper and one of these people, in my experience. 

I'm not surprised, although I'll point out an alternate possible explanation.  

I would assume that people who have served in the military are more likely to participate in rallies, protests, or riots,  than the general population.  They're more likely to get off the sofa and go try to personally do something.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

The insurrectionists have a shallow or even sick and twisted view of what "patriotism" is.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tshile said:

I will point out that only 2 of those arrested were actually active duty.  I think the headlines are a bit misleading.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I will point out that only 2 of those arrested were actually active duty.  I think the headlines are a bit misleading.

How so?  There was this part:

14%, are current or former members of the US military. That is more than double the proportion of servicemen and women and veterans in the adult US population

53 minutes ago, China said:

How so?  There was this part:

Not sure which article you read but from CNN article:

Analysis by CNN of Pentagon records and court proceedings show 21 of the 150, or 14%, are current or former members of the US military. 

But further down:

Two of those arrested are in the Army, and two are National Guardsmen. Of the 17 veterans, six are former Army, eight are former Marines, two served in the Navy, and one was in the Air Force. 

So only 2 were active duty.  There were also 2 Guard.  And then 17 veterans.  So roughly 1% of those arrested were active duty.  The same population percentage compared to the rest of society.

it is a lot harder to control what veterans do compared to active duty.  And it would be a lot scarier if that large of a percent participating in an insurrection aimed at the Capitol building were active duty.

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

it is a lot harder to control what veterans do compared to active duty.  And it would be a lot scarier if that large of a percent participating in an insurrection aimed at the Capitol building were active duty.

Ok. So I get the point of the clarification. 

from my perspective it doesn’t really matter if they’re active or former. The idea is these people signed up to protect the constitution and instead they’re aligned with a cult of personality

and what scares me even more is along the lines of what you said - it’s way harder for active duty members to participate in something like this. They can’t just miss work, or might be stationed far away, and for a while at least they had distance restrictions they could travel from covid (or at least some branches did/do.). So how many more active people are on this “side” of things but couldn’t do anything about it...

(and maybe it doesn’t matter. Idk)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Not sure which article you read but from CNN article:

But further down:

So only 2 were active duty.  There were also 2 Guard.  And then 17 veterans.  So roughly 1% of those arrested were active duty.  The same population percentage compared to the rest of society.

Yes, the number of active duty participants was small.  But It's not just about active duty.  The overall rate of participation for active and former was more than double the amount for the current US population.  Former military are still bound by the Uniform Code of Military Justice and their oath to defend the Constitution.  Them being former doesn't excuse them.  They should know better.

Not long ago the Supreme Court affirmed that Military retirees can still be court-martialed

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

Ok. So I get the point of the clarification. 

from my perspective it doesn’t really matter if they’re active or former. The idea is these people signed up to protect the constitution and instead they’re aligned with a cult of personality

and what scares me even more is along the lines of what you said - it’s way harder for active duty members to participate in something like this. They can’t just miss work, or might be stationed far away, and for a while at least they had distance restrictions they could travel from covid (or at least some branches did/do.). So how many more active people are on this “side” of things but couldn’t do anything about it...

(and maybe it doesn’t matter. Idk)

Oh it is definitely still concerning.  And just being around military people every day, I know there is a scary number that are too extreme for comfort.  But I did think it was an important distinction.  The percentage of active duty was not above the percentage of society they make up.  It was the number of veterans that were a notably larger percentage that what they make up in society.

4 minutes ago, China said:

Yes, the number of active duty participants was small.  But It's not just about active duty.  The overall rate of participation for active and former was more than double the amount for the current US population.  Former military are still bound by the Uniform Code of Military Justice and their oath to defend the Constitution.  Them being former doesn't excuse them.  They should know better.

Not long ago the Supreme Court affirmed that Military retirees can still be court-martialed

Former military are not necessarily bound by the UCMJ.  Things like being inactive reserve come into play also.  Note that the case you referred to mentions retirees, not all veterans.

• Like 1