Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

Am I the only one that thought we’d have a better way to recover this thing than to just shoot it down over the ocean and pull it up from 40 feet below?

Yes

And dammit where are OUR balloons? Why aren't the Chinese running around having a fit over American balloons floating by? When will the military stop wasting money on frivolous **** like tanks or ships and build some damned balloons?

WE MUST NOT ALLOW A BALLOON GAP!

Edited by LD0506
fat fingers dammit
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

I say salvage it, put it on another balloon (with properly altered communications, of course), and send it back to them.  You know...as a courtesy.

I say salvage it, make a dress for Sarah Yuckyuckyuckabee to wear and send her to them

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, tshile said:

Am I the only one that thought we’d have a better way to recover this thing than to just shoot it down over the ocean and pull it up from 40 feet below?

An airplane with pipes on the front that can snag an object the size of a wire, in mid air, while it's free-falling. 

Yeah, Batman could do it. But those were all taunt, and in a straight line. 

And, he's Batman. 

But, more seriously, 

Yeah, I had the same wish, myself. It's just that then, I thought about it. 

Edited by Larry
  • Thumb up 1

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The 387-foot-long warships tied up at the Jacksonville Navy base were acclaimed as some of the most modern in the United States fleet: nimble, superfast vessels designed to operate in coastal waters and hunt down enemy submarines, destroy anti-ship mines and repel attacks from small boats, like those often operated by Iran. 

But the Pentagon last year made a startling announcement: Eight of the 10 Freedom-class littoral combat ships now based in Jacksonville and another based in San Diego would be retired, even though they averaged only four years old and had been built to last 25 years. 

The decision came after the ships, built in Wisconsin by Fincantieri Marinette Marine in partnership with Lockheed Martin, suffered a series of humiliating breakdowns, including repeated engine failures and technical shortcomings in an anti-submarine system intended to counter China’s growing naval capacity. 

“We refused to put an additional dollar against that system that wouldn’t match the Chinese undersea threat,” Adm. Michael M. Gilday, the chief of naval operations, told Senate lawmakers. 

The Navy estimated that the move would save $4.3 billion over the next five years, money that Admiral Gilday said he would rather spend on missiles and other firepower needed to prepare for potential wars. Having ships capable of fulfilling the military mission, he argued, was much more important than the Navy’s total ship count. 

Then the lobbying started.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Larry said:

An airplane with pipes on the front that can snag an object the size of a wire, in mid air, while it's free-falling. 

Yeah, Batman could do it. But those were all taunt, and in a straight line. 

And, he's Batman. 

But, more seriously, 

Yeah, I had the same wish, myself. It's just that then, I thought about it. 

SpaceX is gonna catch a spacecraft with arms and a different space company used giant nets yo recapture fairings so it’s possible for private companies to do it’s possible for the us to do. 

but I don’t think we are trying to reverse engineer their electronics, especially since everything is ICs nowadays so I don’t think it matters if it gets returned wet/dry. I imagine shooting down was more about sending a message than gathering intelligence.

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

SpaceX is gonna catch a spacecraft with arms and a different space company used giant nets yo recapture fairings so it’s possible for private companies to do it’s possible for the us to do. 

Yep. You're right. Snagging a cable that's free falling through the atmosphere, after being shot down, we can do that. Right now. 

• Thumb up 1

Lewis Black on Veterans issues - reading rans from veterans. One of the better rants is Silas that starts about 10:00. Lots of language as there is with Lewis Black. 

This is admittedly a stretch for this thread but he does discuss Veterans issues and policy including some budgetary stuff. If there is a Veterans thread please give me the link and i'll move this. I searched but could not find anything. 

• Like 1