Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

https://apnews.com/article/border-wall-biden-immigration-texas-rio-grande-147d7ab497e6991e9ea929242f21ceb2

McALLEN, Texas (AP) — The Biden administration announced it waived 26 federal laws in South Texas to allow border wall construction on Wednesday, marking the administration’s first use of a sweeping executive power employed often during the Trump presidency.

The Department of Homeland Security posted the announcement on the U.S. Federal Registry with few details outlining the construction in Starr County, Texas, which is part of a busy Border Patrol sector seeing “high illegal entry.” According to government data, about 245,000 illegal entries have been recorded so far this fiscal year in the Rio Grande Valley Sector which contains 21 counties.

“There is presently an acute and immediate need to construct physical barriers and roads in the vicinity of the border of the United States in order to prevent unlawful entries into the United States in the project areas,” Alejandro Mayorkas, the DHS secretary, stated in the notice.

Oh so now it's okay to build a wall. Got cha.

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

https://apnews.com/article/border-wall-biden-immigration-texas-rio-grande-147d7ab497e6991e9ea929242f21ceb2

McALLEN, Texas (AP) — The Biden administration announced it waived 26 federal laws in South Texas to allow border wall construction on Wednesday, marking the administration’s first use of a sweeping executive power employed often during the Trump presidency.

The Department of Homeland Security posted the announcement on the U.S. Federal Registry with few details outlining the construction in Starr County, Texas, which is part of a busy Border Patrol sector seeing “high illegal entry.” According to government data, about 245,000 illegal entries have been recorded so far this fiscal year in the Rio Grande Valley Sector which contains 21 counties.

“There is presently an acute and immediate need to construct physical barriers and roads in the vicinity of the border of the United States in order to prevent unlawful entries into the United States in the project areas,” Alejandro Mayorkas, the DHS secretary, stated in the notice.

Oh so now it's okay to build a wall. Got cha.

there have been walls in selective places for decades.  In fact trump took credit for building a few of them when they were refurbished as normal upkeep, as he knew his base would not care about facts.  Second, the trump proposal was a coast to coast wall which is not only cost prohibitive its non-value added in most places. Finally unlike the low quality useless few miles of wall trump did have built, the real walls stay up so are useful.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

43 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

there have been walls in selective places for decades.  In fact trump took credit for building a few of them when they were refurbished as normal upkeep, as he knew his base would not care about facts.  Second, the trump proposal was a coast to coast wall which is not only cost prohibitive its non-value added in most places. Finally unlike the low quality useless few miles of wall trump did have built, the real walls stay up so are useful.  

I just quoted you lol...👍

• Thanks 1

I will state, that I generally think it is a stupid idea to be building (much) wall.  It was just as dumb as when Trump did it.

If they want to do something about stemming illegal immigration they should go back to fining employers of illegal immigrants.

Maybe you do it if it is certain % of their work force or whatever.  But it's been clear for decades now that's the best solution.

https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/obamas-mixed-legacy-immigration#

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

If they want to do something about stemming illegal immigration they should go back to fining employers of illegal immigrants.

And fix an incredibly broken immigration system 

maybe find effective foreign policy to deal with pseudo nacro states 

and this half century plus drug war that has funneled money to cartels 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

I will state, that I generally think it is a stupid idea to be building (much) wall.  It was just as dumb as when Trump did it.

Maybe you do it if it is certain % of their work force or whatever.  But it's been clear for decades now that's the best solution.

https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/obamas-mixed-legacy-immigration#

walls alone do not work. But strategically placed and coupled with other measures they can be effective.    I do agree that cracking down on the hiring of illegal immigrants is a vital step.  But so is cracking down on people that come here legally and don’t go back when their visa runs out.  They could use better electronics at the border at legal crossings.  

the problem with trumps wall idea and the maga followers is that they think it’s a silver bullet that solves the whole issue.  Just like most things in real life it’s not that simple.  

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

While I agree with the above solutions, I-9 forms and e-verify were supposed to be handling the situation we're discussing. 

Then again, to be honest, my industry (and probably a few others) would be seriously hurting without undocumented folks.

I live in a neighborhood (subdivision) where I am one of very few who speak English.  I'm one of maybe 5 owners, everyone else rents.  We're supposed to be "single family homes".  Those single families are 10+.   The grocery store on the corner used to be a Publix. 

The whole Pupuseria scene across the street has changed hands, they haven't been operating, but I saw the big grill inside the garage the other day.  Different people, different cars...there are 6 vehicles now instead of 5.  Kids don't go to school. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, tshile said:

I think the point is that the refrain to building a wall was, generally, “lol walls don’t work”

No, the primary point of contention with the vast majority was the idiocy of erecting a CONTINUOUS wall spanning a very long and stupidly plotted distance where many environmental  problems would occur and the overall resulting ineffectiveness of reducing illegal crossings over that expanse, for the expense, would be pathetically ridiculous and wasteful.

Dems and gopers have always done SOME wall building, repairing, or moving, for decades.

Per cartels, follow some European models of legalizing drugs and building a system to manage those consequences but do it even better.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Has anybody mentioned that the Biden administration is just building the wall as part of appropriations from 2019 when Trump was president?  This isn't something the Biden administration decided to do on their own.  And Biden has reiterated his belief that border walls don't work:

Biden says border walls don’t work as administration bypasses laws to build more barriers in South Texas

President Joe Biden said Thursday that he doesn’t believe border walls work, even as his administration said it will waive 26 laws to build additional border barriers in the Rio Grande Valley amid heightened political pressure over migration.

Asked whether he believes the border wall works, Biden answered, “No.”

Construction of the wall will be paid for through a 2019 appropriations bill that funneled money specifically to a “border barrier” in the Rio Grande Valley, and according to Mayorkas, “DHS is required to use those funds for their appropriated purpose.” The funds needed to be spent by the end of fiscal year 2023, prompting the administration to choose to move forward this year with construction in south Texas, according to a source familiar.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tshile said:

And fix an incredibly broken immigration system 

maybe find effective foreign policy to deal with pseudo nacro states 

and this half century plus drug war that has funneled money to cartels 

Foreign and US economic policy has to be a large part of it.  We spent decades in many cases destabilizing governments in those countries and even today our trade and economic policy aren't helpful to many of the countries in Central America.

I have a hard problem blaming the drug war for money being funneled to cartels vs. people that have decided to use illegal drugs knowing they are funding cartels.  Not controlling the import of something(s) into this country is always going to make sense, and then there are always going to be people that are going to want said thing and people that are going to be willing it to bring it into the country illegally for money.

(I have issues with drug war in terms of how we treat people that have addiction issues as criminals vs. people with a disease.  But there are a whole lot of people that use illegal drugs that aren't really addicts that do it for fun that don't care or think about the larger consequences, including making it more likely that people that will be addicts will be exposed to drugs and become addicts and contributing to poor living conditions of people that live where the drugs are coming from.  I've got no problem with putting those people in jail.)

In terms of fixing the immigration system, I have a hard time knowing what we need in terms of immigration reform until we do somethings to greatly reduce the number of illegal immigrants.  It isn't like when Obama was President we had major issues because of a lack of illegal immigrants.  People say the immigration system is broken.  I don't know what that means.  How is it broken?  How do you know?

Edited by PeterMP

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

No, the primary point of contention with the vast majority was the idiocy of erecting a CONTINUOUS wall spanning a very long and stupidly plotted distance where many environmental  problems would occur and the overall resulting ineffectiveness of reducing illegal crossings over that expanse, for the expense, would be pathetically ridiculous and wasteful.

Dems and gopers have always done SOME wall building, repairing, or moving, for decades.

Per cartels, follow some European models of legalizing drugs and building a system to manage those consequences but do it even better.

This is the correct answer, period. I will just add that Trump’s border wall, for the bit he did build, cost $20 million per mile. For a wall that nobody expected to be effective. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, China said:

Has anybody mentioned that the Biden administration is just building the wall as part of appropriations from 2019 when Trump was president?  This isn't something the Biden administration decided to do on their own.  And Biden has reiterated his belief that border walls don't work:

Biden says border walls don’t work as administration bypasses laws to build more barriers in South Texas

President Joe Biden said Thursday that he doesn’t believe border walls work, even as his administration said it will waive 26 laws to build additional border barriers in the Rio Grande Valley amid heightened political pressure over migration.

Asked whether he believes the border wall works, Biden answered, “No.”

Construction of the wall will be paid for through a 2019 appropriations bill that funneled money specifically to a “border barrier” in the Rio Grande Valley, and according to Mayorkas, “DHS is required to use those funds for their appropriated purpose.” The funds needed to be spent by the end of fiscal year 2023, prompting the administration to choose to move forward this year with construction in south Texas, according to a source familiar.

Click on the link for the full article

I think the key thing is that they could have not waived the environmental regulations and just let the funding expire.

There is starting to be some push back from Democrats on the issue of illegal immigration e.g.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/illinois-migrants-jb-pritzker-white-house-chicago/#:~:text=Washington — Illinois Gov.,straining cities across the U.S.

And I suspect they thought it would be at least bad PR to have it come out that they didn't let this go forward.  Biden's DHS is even saying they need a wall in the area, and they've waved the regulations so they appear to think it has some validity.

This isn't a case where they are being forced by a court to spend the money on a wall.  Yes, the money was already allocated towards a wall, but they could have not spent it (at least based on what I know).

Edited by PeterMP

45 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Who woulda thought Biden would be tougher on illegal immigration than Trump. 

He just started building this wall after swearing he'd never build one during the campaign. 

😂

I think Biden is pretty mediocre but his worst downfall has been economy and immigration. don't let em fool you on "bidenomics". 

8 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

He just started building this wall after swearing he'd never build one during the campaign. 

😂

I think Biden is pretty mediocre but his worst downfall has been economy and immigration. don't let em fool you on "bidenomics". 

I got a pretty big complaint about Bidenomics.  We have to sell some stock to pay for a personal issue.  But I don't want to sell it since it keeps going up! 

Thanks alot Joe!

• Haha 2

Re: "Bidenomics":

Average growth in the total number of jobs in the US, in thousands of jobs added per month:  

Biden, so far:  434

Trump:  -55

And, if you cherry pick Trump's "best economy in history":

Trump, first 3 years in office:  179

3 years prior to Trump taking office:  224

I'm tired of this Biden is ideal he's perfect I love everything he's done. no. his approval ratings are mid. he's not that good. don't get me wrong the other guy was much worse but I'm a realist. this guy has had a c presidency. 

call him out for it. stop lapping up the liberal media narrative. all is not roses and sunshine with Biden. 

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

Re: "Bidenomics":

Average growth in the total number of jobs in the US, in thousands of jobs added per month:  

Biden, so far:  434

Trump:  -55

And, if you cherry pick Trump's "best economy in history":

Trump, first 3 years in office:  179

3 years prior to Trump taking office:  224

I think it’s a little dumb to post factoids like this when everyone knows covid played a huge roll in those numbers. I imagine if you take the covid dip and bounce out the numbers are pretty close. 

You have to know the game you are playing when you make misleading posts like this. The question is why. It is dumb to try and prove Biden is better for the Economy than trump, especially when you use misleading contextless data. You really don’t need to. Trump is a criminal, a traitor, and an evil person. Those facts can easily be presented without this kinda BS numbers you’re posting. 

• Like 2