Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2021

Cooked Crack

20 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

why don’t you answer the question about what point you think you were making with that picture? 

Also, you weigh a single decision nearly 30+ years ago in a completely different societal lens the same as repeatedly making the decision to dog whistle racists with a make believe CRT issue for months? 

I was just talking to my wife about how different Halloween is now than it was in the 90s.  Northam did his ugly KKK thing in the 80s when I was a baby, but I’m told it was just as bad.  Gen X treated being intentionally offensive as an act of rebellion.  No surprise shock jocks were big in that era.  The comedy specials and music stand as a testament as well.  

Looking back though I feel especially bad for the families of anyone whose death received media coverage in the months leading up to Halloween.  There were a dozen zombie version on every street for Halloween, and I imagine that would be particularly traumatizing.  

Anyway I’m not going to assume a Halloween costume, as offensive and awful as it was, means a guy is as racist as the modern GOP.  Being as racist as a Trump Republican requires more than one awful decision 40 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, bearrock said:

One person apologized for dumbassery in college and the other apologized for making a smartass comment.  So you look at their career of work and the policies they advocate for.  Then you compare that with disingenuous candidates who blows the dog whistle of racism under the guise of "parental freedom" and promises to ban the teaching of an academic theory that isn't even part of the state's standard of learning.

It's weird how credibility works right? 🤭

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, clietas said:

Yes. 

They don't want Tiffany and Tommy to feel bad about being white when US history is taught. Simple as that imo.

So like some people have predicted already, the "no CRT in classrooms" issue is going to morph into parents claiming that teaching about anything in our history that doesn't show white people in the highest regards is "CRT" or "reverse racism" or whatever else they need to say in order to feel justififed in their nonsense?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, MrSilverMaC said:

You mean like how the party of the religious right excuses serial sex offenders, rapists, child molesters, and con men?

I remember McAuliffe catching mad heat when the black face pic came out. And that was Democrat cuomo who was forced out within weeks of his scandal coming to light by his own party after we sat through 4 years of republicans falling on sword after sword for trump, right?

I haven’t and won’t vote for those guys either. I have no issue with pointing out the hypocrisy from both sides. This happens to be the thread about the VA gubernatorial election, so guess who I’m talking about?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

So like some people have predicted already, the "no CRT in classrooms" issue is going to morph into parents claiming that teaching about anything in our history that doesn't show white people in the highest regards is "CRT" or "reverse racism" or whatever else they need to say in order to feel justififed in their nonsense?

That's exactly what Texas legislature has been working on.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/09/02/texas-race-history-schools/

27 minutes ago, MrSilverMaC said:

You’re assuming that group you’re asking to charge up the hill is of at least average courage.

No.  Average courage doesn’t require great leadership.  Getting the average service member to do something brave isn’t hard.  What is hard is to get the 49.99% that are below that average person to do what is needed.

31 minutes ago, MrSilverMaC said:

Read facebook or Twitter and tell me the majority of right wing voters aren’t intellectually lazy. Look at qanon and tell me why it will vote lock step with republicans.

I won’t because they are.  But again, leadership is about getting the people who don’t want to do it to do it anyways.  Further running down this may be best for the Fixing the Democratic Party thread though.

32 minutes ago, MrSilverMaC said:

For every John Lewis, there were thousands of chicken**** clan members hiding in hoods.

For every Mother Theresa, there are a tens of thousand Eric trumps. It’s easy to sit back and be a douche, it’s hard to be a decent person.

Not really sure the point you are making here.  John Lewis only got one vote, same as the guy in the hood.  Dems aren’t going to win an election by relying on the one smart person.  They need to win over the 10 idiots also to offset that.  Unfortunately, we don’t weight a person’s vote based on their virtue.

34 minutes ago, MrSilverMaC said:

Giving a **** is hard to convince people to do.

No ****.  That is why it is hard to be a leader.

35 minutes ago, MrSilverMaC said:

All you can do is ask. You can’t force people to be decent.

Bull****.  You can do a lot more than ask.  Force rarely works.  Force is what bad leaders try to use.  Good leaders use…..coercion?  Manipulation?  Inspiration?  Call it what you want.

38 minutes ago, MrSilverMaC said:

You’re not asking for good leadership from democrats, you’re asking for exceptional leadership from them while excusing not even passing leadership from republicans.

Correct in that I want expect exceptional leadership.  After all, I’m trusting that person to lead us through all sorts of calamity’s that could potentially hit.  I dont’ think expecting greatness is too much to ask.  And how the hell am I excusing the GOP leadership?  I’ve been extremely critical of them. 

3 minutes ago, ddub52 said:

I haven’t and won’t vote for those guys either. I have no issue with pointing out the hypocrisy from both sides. This happens to be the thread about the VA gubernatorial election, so guess who I’m talking about?

Joe Biden and Ralph Northam?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

So white non-college educated women from the suburbs were turned off by Trump, however it looks as if they were turned right back on by the fake "CRT in schools" issue. 

Also, can someone explain to me the "parents should not determine what is taught in schools" thing?  I know the origin of the quote, and why it doesn't come off as a great campaign soundbite in the media, but what is at the crux of the issue there, is it more nonsense related to the CRT thing or does it go beyond that because last time I checked, parents.......don't determine the curriculum in schools, never have....so....?  (Besides being able to vote on their representatives on the school board I mean)

Is this going to emerge as the next disingenuous issue for the mid-terms?  What is it exactly these angry parents are asking for here?

It seems to be a few different things, CRT being one, and the school transgender/sexual assault issue in Loudon County being another. Beyond the issues, the more important thing from a campaign strategy standpoint is you should never tell parents they don’t have a say in their child’s education. Parents will hear that as they aren’t in control of their child’s upbringing (and therefore the family is out of their control) and that’s a sure fire way to turn parents off whether it’s true or not. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ddub52 said:

Actually it’s the 2021 election thread.

I assume that encompasses all elections in the United States.

The current discussion is focused on Virginia, but since you brought Biden into the discussion you seemed to want to speak about Democrats in general.

I’m guessing you decided questioning ethics party-wide wasn’t a winner for you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Someone actually wrote it takes one to know one as a response in a topic of discussion full of adults. 

lmao. And y’all JUST called out uneducated white women. Got damn if a hot dog don’t holla 

A hot dog? At least use the phrase correctly if you’re going to attempt to call me uneducated lol 

• Thumb down 1

Politicians and politics suck.  I hate it.  When you are 25 or 30, who aspires to be governor, or Senator and anything.  I wish I knew where the next 1000 Barack Obama's are who inspire people with a vision are... 

still waiting....

Democrats can't match the batpoop crazy energy on the right... it's ridiculous, but it gets tiring and its clear that so many people on the left are funded by corporate donors (we haven't heard jack from AOC recently) and people on the right who naturally are patrons of corporate donors don't need to hide it...

2 minutes ago, MrSilverMaC said:

Actually it’s the 2021 election thread.

I assume that encompasses all elections in the United States.

The current discussion is focused on Virginia, but since you brought Biden into the discussion you seemed to want to speak about Democrats in general.

I’m guessing you decided questioning ethics party-wide wasn’t a winner for you.

Read past the title and you’ll see that the OP is mainly about tonight’s elections, which I was referring to 

19 minutes ago, ddub52 said:

I’m just curious how these guys always get a pass from the party of anti-racists.

Biden: “YOU AIN’T BLACK”

Dems: I see no issue here. 

who got a pass? Dems repeatedly pushed Northam to resign. He refused. He apologized for a single mistake made and moved on. At the end of the day, he did a lot for his minority constituents and they recognized that. He still had their trust so we all sort of moved on. 

Biden’s comment was an off the cuff joke that he shouldn't have said. Oddly enough, despite making that he still overwhelmingly won the minority and especially African American vote. I’ll trust they know a racist when they see one and they know an ally when they see one. 

neither Biden or Northam are racist or have histories of racism like you find in the Republican Party which is baked into nearly every speech they make and policy they support. But this takes actually understanding nuance and requires some critical thinking. I’m sure it’s much easier to ignorantly spout off reactions without taking the time to understand each incident and person before we use them as false equivalencies to make an ill-conceived point. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

No.  Average courage doesn’t require great leadership.  Getting the average service member to do something brave isn’t hard.  What is hard is to get the 49.99% that are below that average person to do what is needed.

I won’t because they are.  But again, leadership is about getting the people who don’t want to do it to do it anyways.  Further running down this may be best for the Fixing the Democratic Party thread though.

Not really sure the point you are making here.  John Lewis only got one vote, same as the guy in the hood.  Dems aren’t going to win an election by relying on the one smart person.  They need to win over the 10 idiots also to offset that.  Unfortunately, we don’t weight a person’s vote based on their virtue.

No ****.  That is why it is hard to be a leader.

Bull****.  You can do a lot more than ask.  Force rarely works.  Force is what bad leaders try to use.  Good leaders use…..coercion?  Manipulation?  Inspiration?  Call it what you want.

Correct in that I want expect exceptional leadership.  After all, I’m trusting that person to lead us through all sorts of calamity’s that could potentially hit.  I dont’ think expecting greatness is too much to ask.  And how the hell am I excusing the GOP leadership?  I’ve been extremely critical of them. 

Your average service member has made a commitment the average American won’t.

My point about John Lewis and Mother Theresa is simple, examples of decency/bravery are far less common than examples of greed and cowardice.

And no, all you can do is ask. Doing so while supporting the request with something that inspires is best, but that all you can do is ask. But that goes back to my assertion that the Dems issue is that they ask you to aspire to be better, requiring effort. The right does no such thing, instead using lies and fear. They have the easier road.

And you’re correct, I shouldn’t have said you excused them. I’ve read plenty of your posts calling them out. I apologize.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

. Beyond the issues, the more important thing from a campaign strategy standpoint is you should never tell parents they don’t have a say in their child’s education. Parents will hear that as they aren’t in control of their child’s upbringing (and therefore the family is out of their control) and that’s a sure fire way to turn parents off whether it’s true or not. 

I agree it was a blunder for him to say what he did, definitely an unforced error.  I guess it is more my frustration that random comments like that are never discussed/analyzed in good faith by the media and it turns into a much bigger thing than intended due to lack of context of the statement. 

12 minutes ago, MrSilverMaC said:

Your average service member has made a commitment the average American won’t.

My point about John Lewis and Mother Theresa is simple, examples of decency/bravery are far less common than examples of greed and cowardice.

And no, all you can do is ask. Doing so while supporting the request with something that inspires is best, but that all you can do is ask. But that goes back to my assertion that the Dems issue is that they ask you to aspire to be better, requiring effort. The right does no such thing, instead using lies and fear. They have the easier road.

And you’re correct, I shouldn’t have said you excused them. I’ve read plenty of your posts calling them out. I apologize.

I think we are close enough in opinions to just say cheers.  I’m gonna go cry in my pillow for what I think this election means for our future.  Then go clean my guns in the morning because it is still ‘Merica.  :cheers:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I agree it was a blunder for him to say what he did, definitely an unforced error.  I guess it is more my frustration that random comments like that are never discussed/analyzed in good faith by the media and it turns into a much bigger thing than intended due to lack of context of the statement. 

Yeah, you have to kind of dig to find the root of it. From what I’m reading it sounds like McAuliffe vetoed a bill that would require schools to inform parents if there was sexually explicit material in the school’s curriculum. This was brought up in during a recent debate as a question by the moderator, and that’s when McAuliffe made the comment. 

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I think we are close enough in opinions to just say cheers.  I’m gonna go cry in my pillow for what I think this election means for our future.  Then go clean my guns in the morning because it is still ‘Merica.  :cheers:

Yeah I’m good with that.

Hopefully any one in the Democratic Party that thought they could coast on the trump boogey man realizes they’re going to have to put in work to not slip back to where we were last year.

have a good night, and check those chambers! 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

who got a pass? Dems repeatedly pushed Northam to resign. He refused. He apologized for a single mistake made and moved on. At the end of the day, he did a lot for his minority constituents and they recognized that. He still had their trust so we all sort of moved on. 

Biden’s comment was an off the cuff joke that he shouldn't have said. Oddly enough, despite making that he still overwhelmingly won the minority and especially African American vote. I’ll trust they know a racist when they see one and they know an ally when they see one. 

neither Biden or Northam are racist or have histories of racism like you find in the Republican Party which is baked into nearly every speech they make and policy they support. But this takes actually understanding nuance and requires some critical thinking. I’m sure it’s much easier to ignorantly spout off reactions without taking the time to understand each incident and person before we use them as false equivalencies to make an ill-conceived point. 

A joke? There it is again.

Actually, democrats have seen quite a bit of attrition from minority voters. Iirc, Biden lost huge percentage points amongst Latinos in 2020. In fact, Trump gained percentage points with virtually every minority group. Biden gained double digit percentage points amongst white males though. Minorities might not be as bought in to the left’s platform as you think they are. Maybe those tens of millions of people don’t know what’s best for themselves, or are race traitors. Idk. 

I guess I don’t have enough critical thinking skills to contort someone who voted against desegregation into being an anti-racist. Maybe one day I will understand nuance and be able to do so. Until then, I’ll continue to think that the guy who authored a bill that led to mass incarceration for minorities, might be more of an opportunist than an anti-racist. 

• Like 2