Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

16 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Everything about Nationals Stadium is superior to FedEx Field, it's not even close, no comparison.

Part of this has to do with Cooke taking inspiration from a stadium that had opened 30 years earlier in Giants Stadium when building FedEx. The dozen stadiums that opened in the six years after FedEx are superior in design.

And part of it has to do with the gradual deterioration of the game day experience there. The Skins were mediocre by the time they moved to Landover, but some of the atmospherics that people appreciated from RFK were brought over, such as the PA guy. When Snyder took control, he turned it into a carnival. In a sense from an atmosphere perspective, it was like comparing Camden Yards to Nats Park. Camden maintained the old-school charm for a while (I haven't been in years), while there was a stretch where it seemed like the folks at Nats Park were trying too hard. I think its been toned down in recent seasons.

• Thumb up 1

https://wtop.com/maryland/2022/04/maryland-senate-gives-preliminary-approval-to-baltimore-stadium-upgrades-prince-georges-revitalization-effort/

The other measure approved on Friday — House Bill 897 — would allow the stadium authority to spend $400 million on an array of recreational and entertainment venues in Central Prince George’s County.

The proposed facilities include:

• Magnet Charter School
  • Central Library
  • Cultural Center
  • Basketball/Volleyball Fieldhouse
  • Central Avenue
  • Market Hall
  • Wayne K. Curry Civic Plaza

The facilities would be constructed near FedEx Field, home of the Washington Commanders, as part of a “stadium district.” Commanders owner Daniel Snyder wants a new stadium and he is said to be eyeing locations in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia. 

Gov. Lawrence J. Hogan Jr. (R) hosted a meeting with Commanders President Jason Wright at the governor’s mansion on March 31.

Unlike FedEx Field, which sits isolated, across from a defunct shopping mall, Snyder wants his new stadium to be part of a “mini city” that includes a high-end hotel, a sports betting venue and upscale mixed-use development.

Prince George’s leaders stress that they intend to pursue their vision for “Downtown Largo” whether or not the Commanders build a new stadium next to FedEx Field.

My betting money is on we end up in a new stadium at the Fed Ex Field site.  Also, and this is just my opinion seems like fastest way to get this done at this point.  Snyder already owns the land there.    

Edited by Commander PK
clarification

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I predict Dan will have to tear down FedEx and build it there. During construction team will play at Univ. Of MD.

Other teams have built stadiums next door to existing ones, so I'm not sure why that couldn't be done here. Only issue I can see is accommodating parking on game days during construction, but it'd seem like they could figure something out.

22 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Other teams have built stadiums next door to existing ones, so I'm not sure why that couldn't be done here. Only issue I can see is accommodating parking on game days during construction, but it'd seem like they could figure something out.

We are the Commies, we would **** it up.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Easy solution..... just keep losing. Attendance stinks already so parking shouldn't be an issue. 😏

That should be easily done then :D

But we still would have the problem of opposing teams' fans... They always comes in bunch.

• Thumb up 1

16 hours ago, Commander PK said:

https://wtop.com/maryland/2022/04/maryland-senate-gives-preliminary-approval-to-baltimore-stadium-upgrades-prince-georges-revitalization-effort/

My betting money is on we end up in a new stadium at the Fed Ex Field site.  Also, and this is just my opinion seems like fastest way to get this done at this point.  Snyder already owns the land there.    

They also announced the gave Angelos and the Orioles $1.2B...

That 1.2B is split between the Os and Ravens.

I know things are pricier in DC area than Baltimore, but how did Baltimore end up paying 220 million and getting a nicer stadium than ours, which cost 250 mill. Cooke got taken for a ride.

Edited by hail2skins

On 4/11/2022 at 1:09 AM, Commander PK said:

I thought Snyder owned the building but not the land. He has a a lease that expires in 2027, so it must just be a ground lease.

On 4/9/2022 at 12:43 PM, hail2skins said:

Part of this has to do with Cooke taking inspiration from a stadium that had opened 30 years earlier in Giants Stadium when building FedEx. The dozen stadiums that opened in the six years after FedEx are superior in design.

And part of it has to do with the gradual deterioration of the game day experience there. The Skins were mediocre by the time they moved to Landover, but some of the atmospherics that people appreciated from RFK were brought over, such as the PA guy. When Snyder took control, he turned it into a carnival. In a sense from an atmosphere perspective, it was like comparing Camden Yards to Nats Park. Camden maintained the old-school charm for a while (I haven't been in years), while there was a stretch where it seemed like the folks at Nats Park were trying too hard. I think its been toned down in recent seasons.

Yea know, I was at Nationals stadium the other day, and I jus find everything about it better, even better then Capital One Arena.

Food options are better, sound system is better, it's cleaner, getting to and from the stadium via metro, yes the GameDay experience win or lose is jus better, hands down.  

Some of it ya I get blaming on Cooke in terms of initial design, but a lot of what I'm talking about coulda been in place upgrades that were never done and I'm convinced Snyder will never do.  

He'll let FedEx decompose back into the Earth before he invests a dime to bring the game day experience anywhere near the other major DC stadiums.  All that money will be spent on the next one, meaning between here and now we should expect FedEx to only get worse. Not better.

8 hours ago, profusion said:

I thought Snyder owned the building but not the land. He has a a lease that expires in 2027, so it must just be a ground lease.

He owns 200 acres in and around the site.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/where-will-redskins-build-new-stadium-early-signs-point-to-current-fedex-site/2020/02/16/65375460-4eb0-11ea-bf44-f5043eb3918a_story.html

For one thing, Snyder already owns more than 200 acres at and around FedEx Field. That means there’s plenty of land for the vision he’s pitching.

• Like 1

Also from the same link

There’s no deadline for the team to leave FedEx Field. Its agreement with Prince George’s specifies only that it must play in Landover until 2027. But the stadium has deteriorated with age, and both Snyder and fans would like a new one.

it sounds like the agreement made with P.G. County and the State of Maryland was just that they would play there for 30 years.  From 2007

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2007/jan/12/20070112-125237-5424r/

Team general counsel Dave Donovan said the Redskins are legally bound to FedEx Field until 2027 because of agreement between the team, the state of Maryland and Prince George’s County, and said the team has expressed no interest in leaving the Landover facility at least until then.

Here is a Baltimore Sun article from 1997 that explains how the stadium was financed, and also a bit about the State paying for M&T Bank Stadium for the Ravens.  Kind of cool..

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1997-09-14-1997257125-story.html

But the $180 million construction budget was financed entirely by private sources. The giant Japanese-based Sumitomo Bank Ltd. and NationsBank of Charlotte, N.C., headed a consortium of four lenders that provided $155 million in loans. Put up as collateral was the stadium and its anticipated revenues, especially from its high concentration of pricey skyboxes and luxury seats.

Edited by Commander PK

On 4/11/2022 at 7:44 PM, hail2skins said:

Cooke got taken for a ride.

I happen to have a close relationship with someone close to the organization and the cookes. I’ve held the 3 super bowl rings. 

anyways. Corrupt and grimy construction and politics has a lot to do with where the stadium wound up being. 

DC wasn’t even an option, unless you wanted to be completely fleeced. I believe they preferred the area in VA just before the WW bridge. 

there’s a whole lot of stories to be told about that stadium and how the team wound up for sale. I’d screw it all up if I tried. But. It was all a big mess. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tshile said:

I happen to have a close relationship with someone close to the organization and the cookes. I’ve held the 3 super bowl rings. 

anyways. Corrupt and grimy construction and politics has a lot to do with where the stadium wound up being. 

DC wasn’t even an option, unless you wanted to be completely fleeced. I believe they preferred the area in VA just before the WW bridge. 

there’s a whole lot of stories to be told about that stadium and how the team wound up for sale. I’d screw it all up if I tried. But. It was all a big mess. 

I always thought JKC HATED Nepotism.  

13 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

As someone not from the DMV; where would be the best place for a stadium that would include a train stop nearby?     Besides DC itself.

Probably right where they are now in Raljon. I don’t think there is another viable option close to metro.

16 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Probably right where they are now in Raljon. I don’t think there is another viable option close to metro.

Whenever I think of Raljon, I keep thinking of Tony Kornheiser saying “Thank God JKC’s kids aren’t named Peter and Enos.” 😆

• Haha 5

This is a big part that now worries me:

We changed our name to something that has very little to do with our history, colors and location.

There is a strong contingent that wants to erase the Washington Redskins from history and the NFL is showing signs it will at least crumble to their demands.

Dan looks like he'll be forced to sell.

This team absolutely needs a new stadium.

Adds up to a drastic move like Houston to Tennessee or Cleveland to Baltimore.

Sadly, I think our only hope is that the latest accusations on Dan are just persecution and really nothing

On 4/15/2022 at 9:42 PM, FLSkinz83 said:

As someone not from the DMV; where would be the best place for a stadium that would include a train stop nearby?     Besides DC itself.

On 4/15/2022 at 9:56 PM, spjunkies said:

Couple stops along the silver line extension, including last ones that will be opening soon (likely this summer), like the Loudoun and Ashburn stations.

Because even the current site is about a mile from the nearest metro station, there needs to be a push to bring shuttles back whether it's in Maryland or VA (stadium-armory station is literally across the street from old RFK, a other reason I keep hoping they put it there instead)

Edited by Renegade7

9 hours ago, Commander PK said:

If he is, I'm pretty certain Jeff Bezos will be the buyer.  If Bezos buys the team, I don't think he's moving them anywhere.

I been saying this from the beginning I think Bezos is the one pushing the story and got the federal government involved. He will own the team.

My next question is where will Bezos want the stadium?