Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

42 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

Looks like the football version of the Cap Centre. Nice try MD but it's going to be in VA.

Yes it does, definitely a nod to the Cap Centre.  I wouldn't be so sure it's going to Virginia, this could be a game changer.  The team owns the land at Fed Ex.  The location hasn't been as much of the problem, as the stadium and the lack of other options for entertainment.  Putting everything there in one location, with amenities, and other draws could be the way to go.  Especially if they add convenient metro access. 

If not RFK, this or National Harbor is the way to go.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2022 at 5:30 PM, mcees4life said:

Rebuilding at Landover wouldn’t be bad if they actually put some thought into it this go around. Built an indoor capable stadium designed similar to Minnesota or Atlanta with 60,000 seats and all the bells and whistles. Build plenty of entertainment/food options right around it. And most importantly improve the road infrastructure to make it easy to get in and out of.  One reason why traffic was so bad was because 90,000 people was leaving at the same time at the conclusion of an event. If you decrease capacity to 60,000, provide plenty of places for people to hang out at after events, then you will have less total people and everyone naturally won’t be leaving at the same time. That would immensely help the flow of traffic 

😎 

Might want to hold on to your horses...Governor Hogan said they won't get into a bidding war with Virginia:

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/maryland-washington-commanders-stadium-search/39442607

"I think (the Commanders are) using everyone back and forth as they have been for eight years. They're negotiating, pitting everyone against each other," said Hogan, suggesting the Commanders are setting Maryland, D.C. and Virginia against one another to get a better stadium deal.

"But we're not going to get in a bidding war over them and we're not going to be proposing $1.2 billion for them to build a new stadium. If Virginia wants to do that and they want to go to Virginia, I would say, 'good luck.'"

9 hours ago, petey hodge said:

I'm suddenly feeling the urge to eat Pringles?

image.png.6f8245dc337fb76e8cd2d0e9e511a019.png

really hope that's not the final design.  That's just freaking horrible in every way, especially when you compare it to the new stadiums being built.  That's hardly any better than the monstrosity they debuted with the moat around it.  

PG makes sense since it is at least connected to the Beltway.  I don't understand people who harp about metro access.  It's a mile away with a dedicated walkway.  There's no land inside the immediate DC area (aside from RFK and that's a major hassle with the feds involved) that close to a metro station.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

PG makes sense since it is at least connected to the Beltway.  I don't understand people who harp about metro access.  It's a mile away with a dedicated walkway.  There's no land inside the immediate DC area (aside from RFK and that's a major hassle with the feds involved) that close to a metro station.   

Yeah I wonder how many people would actually take the metro to Fed Ex if it was closer. 

32 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I mean, a mile isn't that easy for everyone, and the sidewalk is awful.  Hard to understand how people can't see this as an issue.

• Thanks 1

If it lands exactly where the current stadium is, then what the **** was the point waiting this long. Negotiations should have happened and agreed upon years ago, in turn development could have taken place too. I get that's probably not how business deals like this work but like ZERO effort to develop that place occurred during the past 25 years and now Maryland wants to make some big entertainment center.

2 hours ago, dyst said:

If it lands exactly where the current stadium is, then what the **** was the point waiting this long. Negotiations should have happened and agreed upon years ago, in turn development could have taken place too. I get that's probably not how business deals like this work but like ZERO effort to develop that place occurred during the past 25 years and now Maryland wants to make some big entertainment center.

Looks to me like this time they want to do it right. 

The first time was a rush job so JKC could get it done before he passed.  I don't think much thought was really put into the place other than building it big, and getting it done quickly. Times were different then.  Believe it or not, there was a time when Fed Ex Field was selling out on a regular basis.  This team was setting single game attendance records in those days.  In 1997 a stadium itself was still enough of a draw.  We did always have an element of the other team's fans there, but it was largely Redskins fans for the first 10 years.  Things really started trending downhill after Joe Gibbs retired for the second time.  A big part of the problem was extremely inconsistent results, combined with HD television coverage.  HDTV really started to become a thing around 2005, and I don't think that it's influence on NFL gameday attendance can be understated.  Sitting in front of the 70" on gameday is far better than a nosebleed seat, and far less expensive.       

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mhd24 said:

My understanding is there are spots along the silver line going out to Dulles.  I've only driven to FedEx once, never again, especially if I have to pay for parking on top of the ticket.

4 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

Yeah I wonder how many people would actually take the metro to Fed Ex if it was closer. 

The RFK site is nowhere near the interstate, traffic would be brutal being bottlenecked in all thise city streets if it's wasn't for the stadium armory station right across the street.

Edited by Renegade7

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Can I add my frustration towards people frustrated with the push for metro access, not all fans have cars or can drive :angry:

Nah, I get it.  That's why Landover (or ideally RFK) makes the most sense.  It's accessible by car and metro.  Dulles is a pain to get to (10-15 miles off the beltway).  It would take ages to get from say the major metro hubs (Gallery place, Metro center, or L'enfant) to the end of the silver line.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Nah, I get it.  That's why Landover (or ideally RFK) makes the most sense.  It's accessible by car and metro.  Dulles is a pain to get to (10-15 miles off the beltway).  It would take ages to get from say the major metro hubs (Gallery place, Metro center, or L'enfant) to the end of the silver line.

I can dig it, silver line is long AF, but my understanding is it won't be at the end of the silver line (if we're talking the fully completed line that goes well past Dulles).

But that's still the option for folks that can't drive or don't want to pay for parking. 

I get it. I've taken silver line as far as it will go now and had to take shuttle to Dulles for a flight, it took a minute leaving from Springfield, but I'm convinced that the number of people that will do it will make up for the people that won't. 

We can't have a subway system as expansive as metro is and not utilize it.  Sometimes I think folks (not you in particular) take metro for granted.  I used to live in Hampton Roads, which is composed of 7 cities with light rail in only one of them.

Edited by Renegade7

The issue with the Silver Line is that they need to develop express trains to take you from the major stations like: L'Enfant, Rosslyn, West Falls Church, Tysons, Reston, Dulles. This would speed up the trip immensely and make it tolerable. 

RFK is still by far the best location for the stadium. The site is just rotting and it would be super easy to redevelop the area like the Navy Yard, plus connect some street cars that run from H Street to the Armory to add more public transportation options so people could take MARC/Amtrak if needed too. The location alone would also bring way more people to games.

• Like 1