Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

One good thing about 4 is that he's trending upwards. The past couple weeks his throws have been leading the receiver, in the chest, or where the defender isn't.

Early in the season you had to be effing Dhalsim to reach one of his passes. Now it's just, I don't know, right?

I'm not a believer that he's the future, but it's improvement is really impressive.

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He quotes PFF on that.  It's true you "don't have to" to be good at play action.  But if you are really good at running the ball and you do it a lot it can certainly help convince the LBs and safeties to bite on it. 

I don't think its a coincidence that the run game has come alive and both Taylor and the defense has improved.  They've run decently 2 weeks in a two against good defenses.  Time of possession.  Grind down the opponents defense.  Play action.  It's all in symphony.  Some Marty ball. 

My favorite and just in time for december.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He quotes PFF on that.  It's true you "don't have to" to be good at play action.  But if you are really good at running the ball and you do it a lot it can certainly help convince the LBs and safeties to bite on it. 

I don't think its a coincidence that the run game has come alive and both Taylor and the defense has improved.  They've run decently 2 weeks in a two against good defenses.  Time of possession.  Grind down the opponents defense.  Play action.  It's all in symphony.  Some Marty ball. 

Marty ball combined with going for it on 4th downs, QB playmaking, and QB being a factor in the run game with his own legs. Marty ball 2.0. 

Or dare I say Callahan 2.0. ;) 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

don't think its a coincidence that the run game has come alive and both Taylor and the defense has improved.  They've run decently 2 weeks in a two against good defenses.  Time of possession.  Grind down the opponents defense.  Play action.  It's all in symphony.  Some Marty ball. 

So Heinicke is a Tony Banks ?

Woo Hoo

We finish the last 11 games at 8-3 !

• Like 1

In the beginning, there was Joe Jackson Gibbs.  Then came coaches like Marty 😛

Gibbs was a master at power and play action.  He was also versatile enough to spread you out and use the pass game as a running game.  The bunch (3 receivers in a V) began with him - see the fun bunch.

I've been trying to make a case for a while that I thought Heinicke is the perfect Play action QB.  Imagine him paired with the Shanahan zone stretch.  The problem early on was that Turner wouldn't commit to it.  His dad had that problem.  That doesn't mean that you just keep running on 1st down.  I hated when Gruden did that.  Pound draw was the first play almost every time.  Usually ended up with a loss of yardage.  So, commiting to the run means you may throw on first and 10 but run on 2nd and 10.  Be unpredictable but make sure that your calls are at least 55% run and 45% pass.  

Edited by ThomasRoane
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

In the beginning, there was Joe Jackson Gibbs.  Then came coaches like Marty 😛

Gibbs was a master at power and play action.  He was also versatile enough to spread you out and use the pass game as a running game.  The bunch (3 receivers in a V) began with him - see the fun bunch.

I've been trying to make a case for a while that I thought Heinicke is the perfect Play action QB.  Imagine him paired with the Shanahan zone stretch.  The problem early on was that Turner wouldn't commit to it.  His dad had that problem.  That doesn't mean that you just keep running on 1st down.  I hated when Gruden did that.  Pound draw was the first play almost every time.  Usually ended up with a loss of yardage.  So, commiting to the run means you may throw on first and 10 but run on 2nd and 10.  Be unpredictable but make sure that your calls are at least 55% run and 45% pass.  

This team reminds me of a Gibbs team - in small, subtle ways.

It's not stacked with stars or studs. We do have a couple of those. However, it's filled with, and relies heavily on, a group of average-type guys who know their job and do it, and gel together, and to some degree, overachieve. Well-coached, and good at the all-important fundamentals.

One of the reflections of this is, week after week, you see "average" guys like Humphries or Bates, making game-saving or huge clutch plays. It's not necessarily exclusively relying on one star player.

Yes, we get a lot of McLaurin and he's a huge part of it. Then again, Gibbs had his Monk. And like Gibbs' teams, you see guys who are "unremarkable" on an individual level, looking much bigger and better than they really are, because Coach knows how to use them, and Coach emphasizes discipline and things like that.

I'm not saying Rivera is on Gibbs' level. Just that he does a good job, utilizing Gibbs' principles.

And again, I'm not discounting the huge impact McLaurin has on this team. Just that we have a collective group outside of him that are individually unspectacular, but do a great job of making things happen.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So Heinicke is a Tony Banks ?

Woo Hoo

We finish the last 11 games at 8-3 !

I was just listening to a Sheehan podcast, he thinks we win just another 2 games, wow.    

If I recall @Thinking Skins thinks they are headed to the playoffs.

Personally I don't know.  i am not pessimistic like Sheehan but not thinking platyoffs just yet either.    The next two games IMO are big.  If they win them both, I think they have a good shot.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was just listening to a Sheehan podcast, he thinks we win just another 2 games, wow.    

Personally I don't know.  i am not pessimistic like Sheehan but not thinking platyoffs just yet either.    The next two games IMO are big.  If they win them both, I think they have a good shot.

Sheehan enjoys seeing the WFT fail so he can go on Dan Snyder rants. 

The WFT have found their formula. Ball control offense that scores touchdowns and better than awful defense can win in the pass happy NFL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I mean he has opinions. He also has a radio show. I'm not the biggest fan of his but he's not horrible. But it is what it is. Right now we're in the picture. Before winning 2, we weren't. It's a long season. What I want though if more than just making the playoffs, it's actually winning s game there. I think that's what I've been saying. Making the playoffs of the minimum of what I want. I don't just want to get a ticket and say l was there. I sent to be able to say that we did something. 

• Like 1

Seeing Dallas lose to the Raiders...and seeing the slap-fight that was the Giants/Eagles game today gives me more hope.  

We need to put it on the Seachickens tomorrow night.  I'm cautiously optimistic.

Wait, ****, this is the Heinicke thread.

Uhhh...Go Heinicke!  Keep up the good work, man.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I mean he has opinions. He also has a radio show. I'm not the biggest fan of his but he's not horrible. But it is what it is. Right now we're in the picture. Before winning 2, we weren't. It's a long season. What I want though if more than just making the playoffs, it's actually winning s game there. I think that's what I've been saying. Making the playoffs of the minimum of what I want. I don't just want to get a ticket and say l was there. I sent to be able to say that we did something. 

I like Sheehan.  Surprised he's so bleak as for the rest of the season record wise.   Yeah i hear you, I'd love to win in the playoffs too for a change versus just getting there.  It might not be easy though this year because if they sneak in it -- it would likely be as the 7th seed.    If so it would be on the road versus the top seed who plays in the first round.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Sheehan.  Surprised he's so bleak as for the rest of the season record wise.   Yeah i hear you, I'd love to win in the playoffs too for a change versus just getting there.  It might not be easy though this year because if they sneak in it -- it would likely be as the 7th seed.    If so it would be on the road versus the top seed who plays in the first round.  

Yeah, but there's nobody I really fear. I doubt we could beat Tampa in the playoffs. But GB, Arizona, Dallas - all possible number 2s. I'm not afraid of them. Rams, not afraid of them. Its not like there's a juggernaut in this year's class. If we make it and lose out, i wouldn't be mad, and I'd still want Heinicke to come in next year as the starter going into the season, but the main thing I'm saying will cement his place as the starter going into next year (and possibly longer) is a win in the playoffs. How often do those guys get replaced? I can think of Case Keenum for Kirk as the only real time that a team opted to replace a guy like that. 

That said, If we finish 3-4 or something like that, then even if Heinicke has the same stats that I've been predicting (4000, 25, 15), I'd think / probably want him to have more serious competition. Probably from a rookie QB. But knowing my own uncertainty with drafting QBs, I could see Ron and Danny trading for a vet like Mariota or a backup that Kyle has liked on other teams maybe in previous drafts that we didn't draft (Jordan Love anybody?)

I could see a situation where we only win two more games. But I could also see a scenario where we finish something like 6-1. In the Dan Snyder era whenever this team goes on playoff runs late its with ridiculous win streaks and/or late season hot streaks.

Realistically I see us finishing 8-9 or 9-8. I think we split the Eagles and Cowboys. Raiders game is a toss up.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yeah, but there's nobody I really fear. I doubt we could beat Tampa in the playoffs. But GB, Arizona, Dallas - all possible number 2s. I'm not afraid of them. Rams, not afraid of them. Its not like there's a juggernaut in this year's class. If we make it and lose out, i wouldn't be mad, and I'd still want Heinicke to come in next year as the starter going into the season, but the main thing I'm saying will cement his place as the starter going into next year (and possibly longer) is a win in the playoffs. How often do those guys get replaced? I can think of Case Keenum for Kirk as the only real time that a team opted to replace a guy like that. 

That said, If we finish 3-4 or something like that, then even if Heinicke has the same stats that I've been predicting (4000, 25, 15), I'd think / probably want him to have more serious competition. Probably from a rookie QB. But knowing my own uncertainty with drafting QBs, I could see Ron and Danny trading for a vet like Mariota or a backup that Kyle has liked on other teams maybe in previous drafts that we didn't draft (Jordan Love anybody?)

As for the Heinicke side of this.  I have a Zen thought process.  However it plays out, it plays out.  I am not thinking he's the guy.  I am not thinking he's not the guy.  Like I've said recently, if I was forced to pick a position it would be in between those thoughts.  I think he has it in him to be an average starter.  A dude that could compete with lets say the Jimmy G types.  I don't think he is a franchise type QB -- top 14 type.  But maybe he's a 16-21 type?   But regardless I don't lose sleep on trying to figure it out now.  Let the season play out.  And then we can decide.  

As for the season.   Tough for me to see them sweeping Dallas.   Philly looked bad today.  Not sure about them.  We never seem to sweep the Giants -- tough enough for whatever strange reason to take even one game a season from them no matter how bad they are.    But I do think if they beat Seattle and the Raiders they'd have some built up momentum -- and more importantly it would take the pressure off of them to have to run the table against the East. 

2 hours ago, Leonard Washington said:

Sheehan enjoys seeing the WFT fail so he can go on Dan Snyder rants. 

The WFT have found their formula. Ball control offense that scores touchdowns and better than awful defense can win in the pass happy NFL. 

Yeah I don't mind his Snyder rants, they are on point IMO.    He's often optimistic about their chances during the season, this season not so much.  I'll give him though he thus far he has not been far off on that count.  Judging by this tweet, maybe he's getting into it now.  Not that it matters what he thinks.  But it floored me that he picked just two wins.  I think they at a minimum will win 4 more. But will see. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

11 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

ROFL @ Slapfight!  Comedic genius Spaceman!  That's exactly what it was!

Well that's exactly what it was.

I will say this, I think most will agree...this is an NFL season that's been highly unpredictable.  One week a team looks like a world beater, the next week they look pathetic.  No one can get a pulse on practically any team.  

But yeah, it was a slap-fight yesterday between those two teams.  Hard to predict what they'll be like when we play them but they both look awful right now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Sheehan is usually super optimstic. He's that guy that always figures out the wild "SCENARIOS" that need to play out for us to make the playoffs when we're like 4-7 every year.

I think he has done a 180 since and has become a pessimistic in general. He has admitted he has lost passion for the team

54 minutes ago, method man said:

I think he has done a 180 since and has become a pessimistic in general. He has admitted he has lost passion for the team

Yes.  And somehow he's wildly optimistic about the Giants.  He thought they'd be among the best in the NFL.

Might be a coincidence, but a lot of local radio guys seem to have lost passion for the team when Rivera came in and fired all of the "ol'boys club"?  Feel like there must have been some friends in that group that aren't there anymore to make them feel good about the team.  One of the other local radio personalities is now a fan of a different NFL team too.