Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

IMO Fitz has an average NFL arm, signficantly stronger than Heinicke.  For my eyes, you can see that in camp.  The difference in arm strength was palpable to me.  Fitz though as an older dude I don't think is as mobile as he once was.  Heinicke I think is way more mobile.  I liked the signing of Fitz at the time.  I'd still play Heinicke throughout the season though.

I am somewhat out on Kyle but think he can be a decent backup.

I am mixed on this.  On one hand I was one of the bigger fans of both Justin Fields and Mac Jones on the board so it grates at me to see them have success.  On the other hand, I was ok with giving him a pass this year as long as he does it next year.  So next year for me is the be all and end all on that front.  And I actually like some QB prospects.  And there might be some options in the trading market.  So he likely will have another shot at the well.  I was really hoping they landed Stafford, it pains me to see him tearing up the league this season.  I'll give Ron that he at least swung for him. 😢

The Big 3 QBs on the 22 market; Wilson, Watson and Rodgers will say no to us. If Ron trades for someone it would be someone like Marietta or Darnold, should Carolina move on from him.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So next year for me is the be all and end all on that front.  And I actually like some QB prospects.  And there might be some options in the trading market.  So he likely will have another shot at the well. 

Subject for a different thread really, but who do you like? Ive watched a ton of College this season and personally I don't think its a strong QB class. It has depth but no real blue chippers. Everyone has holes, some bigger than others of course ...

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The Big 3 QBs on the 22 market; Wilson, Watson and Rodgers will say no to us. If Ron trades for someone it would be someone like Marietta or Darnold, should Carolina move on from him.

I have this (bad) feeling we will end up with Jimmy G. Agree with you that the top guys will want a better situation, its a weak draft class IMO so you end up fishing in teh second tier free agent market - Jimmy G, Mariotta maybe Tua. No one who really excites me or gives me hope.

• Like 1

If Heinicke's ceiling is a younger, more mobile Fitzpatrick...why would you ever play Fitzpatrick again (aside from injury)?  Kyle Allen, the guy who looked the best out of all of the quarterbacks last season (sans Heinicke's playoff game), would be the guy to go to if Heinicke continues to struggle.  No, I do not think Allen is the long term guy.  But he could be the answer at backup.  IMO, that is what this season is going to figure out.  Is Allen or Heinicke going to be the longterm backup/stopgap starter going forward?

2 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

I still like Taylor. He’s never gonna be a bonafide franchise qb but he is serviceable and his will to win is second to none. We left some points off the board by not being able to score TDs instead of FGs but we are still averaging more points than last year and if the defense played even somewhat like last year, we could be in decent shape. We know he can’t zip the ball in there so he needs to be on his game and he has to anticipate throws.

If the offense is stagnant against a weak Chiefs defense, I do think it may be time to put in Allen. Allen at least has a pro arm. We just need to be able to go .500 till our NFC east games. Remember one additional playoff spot this year and besides Tampa and the Cards everyone is kind of bunched together. 

There was one additional playoff spot last year.  This team will not beat Dallas.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Subject for a different thread really, but who do you like? Ive watched a ton of College this season and personally I don't think its a strong QB class. It has depth but no real blue chippers. Everyone has holes, some bigger than others of course ...

Thus far, Matt Corral who actually reminds me stylistically of Heinicke but with real NFL arm strength.  He's a baller, plays with moxie, can run, make off platform throws.  Compact delivery.  Throws a nice deep ball.  Good arm IMO but not great as for arm strength.

Malik Willis intrigues me.  I only watched one game.  I talked about him some in the draft thread.  In short he reminds me of Trey Lance some.  he's elite as far as his running ability IMO.

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.29.18 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

On 10/10/2021 at 4:30 PM, KDawg said:

I hope this is tongue in cheek. 

Without a doubt.

On 10/10/2021 at 4:33 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Man, when I saw this earlier before the game, it felt like bad karma.  Like Taylor was going to stink up the joint.  Go figure…

Definitely my last attempt at humor for a while.

5 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He was more honest about his performance than some of our fans here.  🤣

Speaking of, any sightings of @ODU AGGIE? Do we need to request a welfare check?

Nah, I'm here. Just been too depressed to come on board until now. Better times for TH ahead.

• Like 3

I think TH should start the rest of the season, and I'm not saying that just because I am the Heinicke fan you all know that I am. If this game was an outlier, then he could win enough games to get us into the playoffs. If he has more games like this one than good games, we wind up 5-12 or so, and in a much better draft position to go for a franchise QB. Now back to my normal self. If the good games he had were not enough of a sample to say, "yeah, he's the guy this year", then one less than sterling game is not enough to declare him no more than a good backup. I think RR will continue to play him, and I believe TH will get the job done. So, ok, I'm here. Have a shot. Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ODU AGGIE said:

I think TH should start the rest of the season, and I'm not saying that just because I am the Heinicke fan you all know that I am. If this game was an outlier, then he could win enough games to get us into the playoffs. If he has more games like this one than good games, we wind up 5-12 or so, and in a much better draft position to go for a franchise QB. Now back to my normal self. If the good games he had were not enough of a sample to say, "yeah, he's the guy this year", then one less than sterling game is not enough to declare him no more than a good backup. I think RR will continue to play him, and I believe TH will get the job done. So, ok, I'm here. Have a shot. Cheers!

I'm with you. I think he's a better option than Kyle by a mile and who knows when Ryan is gonna be ready, if ever? The ball is still in his court.

I must be utterly alone in wanting to bench Taylor when Fitz is cleared to play, but thats fine.  Taylor's not the guy, and I dont support tanking if he's not the guy for draft picks.  I hate tanking, win what you can with the best players you got.  Saints game was not an anomaly, he was bad against the Bills, too.

Edited by Renegade7

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thus far, Matt Corral who actually reminds me stylistically of Heinicke but with real NFL arm strength.  He's a baller, plays with moxie, can run, make off platform throws.  Compact delivery.  Throws a nice deep ball.  Good arm IMO but not great as for arm strength.

I'd pass on Corral.  Kiffin knows NFL concepts but he has Corral running a lot of RPO.  He also has some really good skills players there.  Good college player.  Doesn't seem like an upgrade over any QB on the roster now.  

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I must be utterly alone in wanting to bench Taylor when Fitz is cleared to play, but thats fine.  Taylor's not the guy, and I dont support tanking if he's not the guy for draft picks.  I hate tanking, win what you can with the best players you got.  Saints game was not an anomaly, he was bad against the Bills, too.

Fitz isn’t the guy either. From the preseason to his stint in the regular season, Fitz looked done. At least Heinicke developed some chemistry with McLaurin. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I think what most of us are worried about is Fitz's lack of mobility.  He wasn't looking very mobile in preseason and with the injury you'd imagine it won't be any better.  The Oline didn't magically start blocking better for Heinicke.  Defenses are scared of TH scrambling.  And they should be.  So they're not teeing off with the pass rush.  I like Fitz but I believe he'd get killed back there.  

It is what it is this year.  Commit to pounding the ball and shorten the game.  They don't have the weapons they thought they would have.  I was excited about all the options for skills players but they're the walking dead now.  All we have is McLaurin and Gibson/McKissic.  That's really all you can count on.  Just hope for some Heinickesque type moments for brief glimpses of sunshine in what will probably be a very gloomy forecast for the rest of the season.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

lolol if we're at the point where we're offering draft picks for Mitch effing Trebisky we are more boned than we thought

Lots of people laughing but the question is this, if he's good enough for Buffalo to sign then how is it that we are above kicking the tires on a former 1st round pick who has big time athletic skills? Buffalo is arguably the best team in the NFL. And I never said to trade for Trubisky if the price is too high or to even name him the starter. He'll be a free agent next season and we may just be in the QB market again....nothing wrong with seeing if he could compete here if the price isn't too steep. I'd be open to seeing if Baltimore would part with their backup QB too...for the right price. 

54 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

I'd pass on Corral.  Kiffin knows NFL concepts but he has Corral running a lot of RPO.  He also has some really good skills players there.  Good college player.  Doesn't seem like an upgrade over any QB on the roster now.  

No way to know about any college QB until they play of course.   As for him not being an upgrade, he IMO has better arm strength than every QB on this roster and by a clear peg.  He's probably faster, too.

Hard for me to see if anyone digs Heinicke that they wouldn't dig Corral, they are similar stylistically IMO in numerous ways. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Patrick Mahomes was bad against that same Bills team too.  I guess he sucks right....

2 hours ago, ODU AGGIE said:

This game was not an outlier. This is the same game he had against Buffalo. It can be argued it's the same game he has had against every team. The difference is some of the more chancy stuff worked in the wins and it didn't in the losses. 

That's actually why I would stay with him. Also, as I said above, I see him as a more mobile, younger Fitz with a weaker arm. I don't think the stronger arm gets you enough in this case to warrant taking Taylor out, at least until the bye. But if teams really start figuring him out and it gets worse because teams are jsut not afraid of long balls, and start crowding 25 yds in, then you have to make a move. But it would not be until the bye. I agree we need to see a few more games to see if he figures out how to make the good stuff happen more and the bad stuff happen less. If he can, awesome, let him finish the year. If not, then you have to make a move or you risk losing the locker room. 

But I would go to Kyle Allen. Kyle is the hybrid. Not as strong an arm as Fitz but stronger than Taylor. Not as mobile as Taylor but more mobile than Fitz. And it can be argued that last year he was our best QB. He showed the same bounce in the offence that Taylor has so far this year. But in fairness he looked really bad in preseason. The injury jsut may be too much, if so then it's to Fitz if you are really getting torched with Taylor under center. 

It will be interesting. But one thing is for sure, next offseason they have to get serious about finding a franchise QB. That person is not on the roster. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

But one thing is for sure, next offseason they have to get serious about finding a franchise QB. That person is not on the roster. 

Here is a list of all UFA in 2022. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

On that list the only one we should try to go for is Mariota

Edited by zskins

29 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

Patrick Mahomes was bad against that same Bills team too.  I guess he sucks right....

Mahomes doesn’t read the field well to my eye. He’s the new type of QB that reads high/low or low/high, then it becomes a scramble drill. Not saying it’s right or wrong just how I see it. Reading the field has become less important. 

Herbert strikes me as the new age “pocket QB” that reads the field a bit more and stays in the pocket more often. I have Herbert becoming the best QB in the NFL, already is this year, IMO. 

16 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

This game was not an outlier. This is the same game he had against Buffalo. It can be argued it's the same game he has had against every team. The difference is some of the more chancy stuff worked in the wins and it didn't in the losses. 

That's actually why I would stay with him. Also, as I said above, I see him as a more mobile, younger Fitz with a weaker arm. I don't think the stronger arm gets you enough in this case to warrant taking Taylor out, at least until the bye. But if teams really start figuring him out and it gets worse because teams are jsut not afraid of long balls, and start crowding 25 yds in, then you have to make a move. But it would not be until the bye. I agree we need to see a few more games to see if he figures out how to make the good stuff happen more and the bad stuff happen less. If he can, awesome, let him finish the year. If not, then you have to make a move or you risk losing the locker room. 

But I would go to Kyle Allen. Kyle is the hybrid. Not as strong an arm as Fitz but stronger than Taylor. Not as mobile as Taylor but more mobile than Fitz. And it can be argued that last year he was our best QB. He showed the same bounce in the offence that Taylor has so far this year. But in fairness he looked really bad in preseason. The injury jsut may be too much, if so then it's to Fitz if you are really getting torched with Taylor under center. 

It will be interesting. But one thing is for sure, next offseason they have to get serious about finding a franchise QB. That person is not on the roster. 

I’m with you on Kyle, he’s probably as fast as Heineke but lacks spatial awareness and quicks. I’m sure the coaches are tempted to go with him and have the offense run exactly how they want it with all throws being to be made. 

I still lean wanting to see more of Heineke. I appreciate the fact he has established rhythms in his bad games as well. There were a few possessions the offense was humming, just stalled in the red zone and a bad INT. I value that, haven’t felt he’s been completely overmatched. Not yet at least. 

• Like 3