Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

4 minutes ago, jnhutchi3 said:

I loved Alex Smith.  The dude flat-out knows how to win games.  People that didn't like him simply don't know football.  He also had 1st round talent,  as every one of his coaches in San Francisco and Kansas City will tell you.

Personally, I don't think Colt McCoy was ever given enough of a chance in Washington.  I thought he was better than Cousins when they were competing for the starting job a few years ago, he definitely made fewer costly mistakes.  I hope McCoy gets a second chance to prove he can play before his career is over.

I was digging your positivity and premature stamp of approval on TH and then you had to keep posting stuff like this.  TH stock just dropped a few points.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The moment folks start with the 'don't know football' schtick in reference to opposing opinions, it's never good.  And then you doubled down with Colt McCoy praise as a chaser.  Phew.

Hey give him credit. At least he didn't throw in McNabb or Grossman. 

• Haha 5

35 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It doesn't have much to do with being "cautious", really. It's knowing for a fact that a QB can have good games, or even a string of good games and still not necessarily be a great long term QB. It's happened a ton of times in the past (hell, it's happened to US plenty of times in the past).

I don't have some sort of set limit. Fitz is out for probably 4-6 weeks at least so we'll see where things stand at the end of that. Even if Heinicke ends up playing for the rest of the season I'd still probably take in his whole season and then see how I felt about it at the end. Of course, if he goes on a tear and starts demolishing teams and putting up 4 TD games and winning huge shootouts I'd come to a faster conclusion, but I really don't see that happening.

And I would have done the same thing for Fitz or any other QB outside of if we'd traded for Rodgers or Watson or Wilson.

930031508_download(14).jpeg.c455f38b3188bb31f9fce7cd2e209936.jpeg

• Haha 11

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The moment folks start with the 'don't know football' schtick in reference to opposing opinions, it's never good.  And then you doubled down with Colt McCoy praise as a chaser.  Phew.

Alex Smith's win/loss record speaks for itself.  The accolades from his coaches in San Francisco and Kansas City speaks for itself.  I think his coaches know a lot more than anybody on this board about Smith's playing ability.

And McKoy did not throw as many boneheaded interceptions as Cousins.  He was better in my opinion.  The great Washington Post columnist Tom Boswell also agreed with me on this.

• Thumb down 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

So Fitz is done?

Yes.  For this team.  If Heinicke falls flat on his face and fails in the games coming up, what sense is there in playing a 38 year old journeyman in meaningless games once he's healthy?  I'd rather see Kyle Allen at that point.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I agree with your entire post, but quoted this for emphasis.  That's exactly where I'm at.  We're just a fanbase desperate for competence at QB, but more than that, we are desperate to have "The guy" moving forward.  

That said, I'm definitely interested to watch this play out.  While I was happy to get Fitz, knowing there was no long term potential to be 'the guy' helped to curb the enthusiasm.  With Heineke the jury is still out if he can be the guy but it's possible.

Yeah no doubt.  Heinicke is 28, Fitz is 38.  A lot more runway with Heinicke at least in theory. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Disagree about the "high-low" part. Outside of the TD in the 4th he was mostly going short to intermediate, which seems to be pretty true of him generally. He tends to take the low option. Which is fine, especially if that's what the defense is giving you. Even the announcers last night kept talking about how soft the Giants were playing in coverage, so that also helped.

Agree that this was two bad teams flailing into each other. Our defense looked pretty bad against a bad team. Our offense looked pretty good against a bad team. I'm still extremely worried about the Bills game. Their offense is no joke. Their defense is decent but not great...but I have a feeling we might be forced to win a shootout with them, and this team isn't built for shootouts.

Agree and disagree on your last point. We have some weapons, and for the first time in ages, I do think we have a QB that plays better when the chips are down that we've had in ages. But we are not the Bucs at this point. Our O is not a juggernaut.

God, I want Heinicke to succeed. I can't remember the last time we had a QB that wanted it this much, that didn't fold under pressure, that really resonated with DC.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Idaho fan said:

Among other things I love TH’s passion for the game.  He cares.  After he threw the pick no one was more upset.  He threw his helmet.  He didn’t go and complain to a receiver. He was just plain pissed.   I think we need more of that.  To many players don’t care enough.  Hope it rubs off on others.  

Don't know if you caught the post game interview with JPF but the corner (Bradberry) played with him at Carolina and knew Turner's scheme.  He saw it coming and jumped the route.  It happens.  I'd have rather have seen them give it to Gibson cause he was feeling it.  I think Scott Turner got too cute there.  If TH checked out on the run then he needs to file that away for the future.

WHAT I LOVE?!?!  To get within reasonable field goal range TH comes back to the same play.  And what does he do?  He throws it low, and away toward the inside so that if TM doesn't catch it nobody does!  It was so close that it was reviewed.  (Shouldn't have been but the refs hate us)  That shows you that TH is dialed into the game.  RR likes to say be where your feet are.  Know the situation and know what you have to do.

• Like 4

Taylor Heinicke is just a straight up baller.  That TD throw late was ridiculous, I thought he was just throwing it away from the looks of the play.  Every game he has pulled off at least a couple of plays like that.  Right now, he is 4 for 4 in games for the WFT, the most consistent stretch a QB has had here in the past decade outside of Cousins a few times.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, jnhutchi3 said:

Alex Smith's win/loss record speaks for itself.  The accolades from his coaches in San Francisco and Kansas City speaks for itself.  I think his coaches know a lot more than anybody on this board about Smith's playing ability.

And McKoy did not throw as many boneheaded interceptions as Cousins.  He was better in my opinion.  The great Washington Post columnist Tom Boswell also agreed with me on this.

So Alex Smith's coaches that actually let him go, know more than everybody.  But every coach and GM in the league don't know how good Colt McCoy is?  Because if they did - he'd be playing.  Errr...umm...what?

But I don't want to derail the Heineke thread for responses on that.  It's all good, we can agree to disagree and move on with more TH specific talk.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Arm strength is great to have but accuracy and timing is so much more important. Taylor is not elite but he gets the ball out at the right time and in the right place during that spilt second the receiver makes his move. He anticipates well.

• Thanks 2

I had the oddest feeling watching the offense yesterday.  I was nervous on just about every throw (a lot of his throws sailed and receivers made excellent catches to bail him out at times), and was nervous about Heinicke staying healthy.  But when he threw the pick just shy of the 2 minute warning, normally that would have meant good night and game over to this team...but I actually thought we had a chance to drive down the field and kick the field goal.  Mostly because of Heinicke.  I can't remember the last time I've felt confident going into the final 2 minutes while losing.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Yes.  For this team.  If Heinicke falls flat on his face and fails in the games coming up, what sense is there in playing a 38 year old journeyman in meaningless games once he's healthy?  I'd rather see Kyle Allen at that point.  

Division is garbage and we gave Fitz $15 million to play.  If he's healthy and Taylor fails, rather see Fitz out there to see if we can squeak in like we did last year.  Kyle Allen is not the answer, we already know this.

9 hours ago, jnhutchi3 said:

I said two months ago that I don't know why Washington wasted all that money on Fitzpatrick.  I knew after watching the playoff game against Tampa Bay in January that Heinicke was the real deal.   Funny how all of the NFL talking head blowhard "experts" spent all offseason talking about Fitzpatrick instead of Heinicke.

After starting two games for Washington, Heinicke already has more poise and composure than the vastly overrated Kirk Cousins ever did.  

Washington has their QB for the next 5 years and his name is Taylor Heinicke.

Shoulda invested that $10 mil in a decent left guard and left tackle!  I dunno how someone as big as Flowers can get knocked back two yards deep in a short yardage situation.  I'll reserve judgment on Samuels.  If he doesn't play this season then that was money the team pissed away.

If TH can improve his play and stay healthy then the WFT is in really good spot.  He's cheap.  They won't have to trade a lot of draft capitol and can invest those picks in a LT, LG, and another cover corner.  (My God if I see Fuller playing man-to-man against any decent receiver I'm gonna throw up in my mouth!)  

I know, I know.  Durability, arm strength, blah blah blah.  There are legitimate reasons to take a pause.  But we haven't had much to be happy about in years.  If TH can do the job then think of how many options the FO will have available to them with free agency and the draft.  They can wait on the right QB of the future and in the meantime stick to the plan of building a very solid team.  That's how Seattle won their SB.  Ever since they invested so much into RW they haven't had the $ to get back to the SB.  

14 minutes ago, jnhutchi3 said:

I loved Alex Smith.  The dude flat-out knows how to win games.  People that didn't like him simply don't know football.  He also had 1st round talent,  as every one of his coaches in San Francisco and Kansas City will tell you.

Personally, I don't think Colt McCoy was ever given enough of a chance in Washington.  I thought he was better than Cousins when they were competing for the starting job a few years ago, he definitely made fewer costly mistakes.  I hope McCoy gets a second chance to prove he can play before his career is over.

If you reread my post, I specifically talked about certain type of games.  But I don't give a rats behind as for debating Alex right now.  I don't care.    

Your post actually helps bring my point home as to what I think about Heinicke.  I thought some who pushed Alex were over the top with the push.  I liked but not loved Alex but that wasn't enough for some of his more rabid supporters.  And don't get me wrong, its all opinion.  You might think your opinions prove you know football and those who disagree with your opinion do not.  But to me its pure opinion. To each their own. 

But the biggest fans here of Heinicke ala @ODU AGGIE their enthusiasm doesn't feel out of place with what I think of Heinicke. Maybe just a little.  My main slight disagreement is sample size.  I need to see more.  But I am enthusiastic about what I've seen.   As for Alex, I was somewhat in between the ones who loved him and those who hated him.  I wasn't really in good company with either group.  But I felt what Chief fans came on to this board to explain, both what they liked and what they thought Alex's limitations were. 

As for Colt, I think we are a mile apart on him unless you just mean because he's a good guy.  And on that front, I'd agree.

With Heinicke, in short, i am more tantalized with the upside.  I get @ODU AGGIE enthusiasm among others.  I've just seen that party crash here before with others so I want to curb my enthusiasm until i see more. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So Alex Smith's coaches that actually let him go, know more than everybody.  But every coach and GM in the league don't know how good Colt McCoy is?  Because if they did - he'd be playing.  Errr...umm...what?

But I don't want to derail the Heineke thread for responses on that.  It's all good, we can agree to disagree and move on with more TH specific talk.

And look what happened to San Francisco after they let Smith go...they dropped off a cliff.  Obviously, Kaepernick was not the long-term answer.  

Smith was replaced by Mahomes in KC.  And Mahomes has attributed a lot of his success to Smith's mentoring during his first year.  So, yeah, I'll take Smith over any QB that Washington has had during the past 20 years.   Except for possibly Heinicke.

Regarding McKoy, there are lots of solid backup QBs in this league who never get a second chance.  Nobody expected Jim Plunkett to win 2 Super Bowls with the Raiders after his disastrous time in New England and San Francisco, either.  

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Shoulda invested that $10 mil in a decent left guard and left tackle!  I dunno how someone as big as Flowers can get knocked back two yards deep in a short yardage situation.  I'll reserve judgment on Samuels.  If he doesn't play this season then that was money the team pissed away.

Well...we did invest almost $10 million in LT and LG. Leno and Flowers cost us a combined $8 million this season. I think our OL generally played pretty well last night, all things considered.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you reread my post, I specifically talked about certain type of games.  But I don't give a rats behind as for debating Alex right now.  I don't care.    

Your post actually helps bring my point home as to what I think about Heinicke.  I thought some who pushed Alex were over the top with the push.  I liked but not loved Alex but that wasn't enough for some of his more rabid supporters.  And don't get me wrong, its all opinion.  You might think your opinions prove you know football and those who disagree with your opinion do not.  But to me its pure opinion. To each their own. 

But the biggest fans here of Heinicke ala @ODU AGGIE their enthusiasm doesn't feel out of place with what I think of Heinicke. Maybe just a little.  My main slight disagreement is sample size.  I need to see more.  But I am enthusiastic about what I've seen.   As for Alex, I was somewhat in between the ones who loved him and those who hated him.  I wasn't really in good company with either group.  But I felt what Chief fans came on to this board to explain, both what they liked and what they thought Alex's limitations were. 

As for Colt, I think we are a mile apart on him unless you just mean because he's a good guy.  And on that front, I'd agree.

With Heinicke, in short, i am more tantalized with the upside.  I get @ODU AGGIE enthusiasm among others.  I've just seen that party crash here before with others so I want to curb my enthusiasm until i see more. 

I wasn't criticizing your opinion about Smith.  I was agreeing with it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Division is garbage and we gave Fitz $15 million to play.  If he's healthy and Taylor fails, rather see Fitz out there to see if we can squeak in like we did last year.  Kyle Allen is not the answer, we already know this.

We aren't winning the division with Fitzpatrick.  

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, jnhutchi3 said:

Who the hell is Tom Boswell...

Animated GIF

• Haha 2

Heinicke has the “it factor”. We know it when we see it. He has it. If he stays healthy he’s the man. He wasn’t risky with his body last night. I think there is legit hope he can last through a stretch of games or season. It’s very easy to spot a bust early. He’s not that. 

• Like 4