Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

Right. I'm loving the news headlines recently (deceptive). 

"Protection Only Lasts Six Months!"

Duuuh. We only have six months of data right now! :P Yes, it'll likely be yearly, but jeezus, there is some uber fear-mongering going on. Every day, "New variants! Possibly more deadly!" Then NO ONE in the world of science backs that up. Yes, more contagious, but I haven't heard any proof of more deadly.

I'm not advocating for ANYONE to take it less seriously than they have, but for anyone who has read that article on how America is addicted to bad news, this is just proving it. If you're going to give me a headline, give me all the context that should go with it. :(

Edited by TheMalcolmConnection
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TheMalcolmConnection said:

Right. I'm loving the news headlines recently (deceptive). 

"Protection Only Lasts Six Months!"

Duuuh. We only have six months of data right now! :P Yes, it'll likely be yearly, but jeezus, there is some uber fear-mongering going on. Every day, "New variants! Possibly more deadly!" Then NO ONE in the world of science backs that up. Yes, more contagious, but I haven't heard any proof of more deadly.

I'm not advocating for ANYONE to take it less seriously than they have, but for anyone who has read that article on how America is addicted to bad news, this is just proving it. If you're going to give me a headline, give me all the context that should go with it. :(

Chance of rain doesn't get the clicks that category 5 hurricane does. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Yes, Falwell junior is bloated, red faced, and scruffy bearded, demonstrating that retirement isn't going so well for him.

Dude took that awkward angle photo and was like, "perfect" and hit send. Pure narcissism. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

Personally, I'd get a shot every ****ing month if needed and feel like **** for a day or two to prevent getting Covid and/or giving it to a loved one. 

Heard on the street...

Look...someone just escaped from the hospital...

No, that's just The Evil Genius with covid vaccine IV. 

• Haha 2

This 6 month thing reminds me of when the drug I was taking for my MS kept putting out stats for "chance of getting PML (brain infection) is x% in the 4th year taking the drug."  The problem was this information came out when I was taking it for my 5th year.  I was like, I know my odds of getting it in my 4th year are 0 because I didn't get it.  So, how about my odds in the 5th year?  The answer was always we will get back to you with that informaiton nect year.  I took the drug for 8.5 years, and I was always in the vanguard being a part of the patient group with the longest duration taking the drug.  

On the COVID vaccine front, I made sure to thank my neighbors, back from Israel where they got their shots a couple months ago, because they are one of the many canaries in the coal mines for the rest of us.  I figure we will find out it is wearing off when people in their cohort start getting sick again.

• Like 2

Great story about the trials! I was one of those people who were going to wait until I heard that it was pretty safe. With the Death Cult running Texas, I took the first available appointment that was offered. Tomorrow will be two weeks since my second shot so I should be fully vaccinated. I will take whatever boosters are offered for as long as necessary to keep myself safe and not become a spreader.

• Like 4

Look at what face masks did to lower the flu this season.  I posted it a while back. 

Being socially distant and masked up in larger public settings when viruses are prevalent HELPS.  

I personally think the common cold hasn't been "cured" because of all of the cold remedies that just fly off the shelves every year.  They make lots and lots of money.  

But I'll bet you that the common cold isn't as widely spread either...if people wear masks during cold & flu season.  I hope it's not something that lasts forever, but if it's gonna keep me a little safer in my so-called "golden years", so be it. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Look at what face masks did to lower the flu this season.  I posted it a while back. 

Being socially distant and masked up in larger public settings when viruses are prevalent HELPS.  

I personally think the common cold hasn't been "cured" because of all of the cold remedies that just fly off the shelves every year.  They make lots and lots of money.  

But I'll bet you that the common cold isn't as widely spread either...if people wear masks during cold & flu season.  I hope it's not something that lasts forever, but if it's gonna keep me a little safer in my so-called "golden years", so be it. 

The common cold isn't in danger of putting massive stress on the country's health system, either.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

The common cold isn't caused by just one virus.  There are many viruses that result in the symptoms we call the common cold.

There is no vaccine or cure because there are more than 200 that can cause it.  And they're not all the same or similar.  30-35% are rhinoviruses, but not all.  And considering the results of catching a cold are not that severe, devoting the time and resources to make 200 vaccines (and probably more, because I'm sure they mutate like the flu) is impractical, if not impossible.

• Like 6

The common cold is an SOB because it is so unpredictable.  I've had 48hr head colds that felt like my face/head from the nose up was in a vice grip, then I've had common colds where the symptoms were way more minor but they lingered for nearly 2 weeks before going away completely.  I do find that having grown up nearly medicine free (not due to some belief system or crazy ideology, just merely a stubborn kid always insisting "no, I don't feel thaaaat bad I don't need it) it seems like some of the over the counter stuff I might take on occasion now as an adult works a lot better for me than it does for some other folks.

That said, there is no comparison between the common cold and something like covid.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

North Carolina sites halt Johnson & Johnson COVID vaccine shots after adverse reactions

North Carolina health officials said on Thursday that they stopped administering Johnson & Johnson doses at a mass vaccination site in Raleigh and at clinics in Hillsborough and Chapel Hill after at least 26 people experienced adverse reactions, including fainting.

Four people were taken to hospitals for further examination, and state and federal health officials are reviewing the matter.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention noted that reactions like fainting are not uncommon after someone is vaccinated, though it is reviewing reports of adverse reactions in North Carolina and three other states. All those taken to hospitals are expected to recover, local health officials said.

"Right now, we are working with NC DHHS (the state Department of Health and Human Services) and the CDC to further evaluate the situation to assure everyone is confident in the continued safety of our vaccine operations," said a statement from Kim McDonald, medical director at Wake County Human Services.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

In the race to vaccinate against Covid-19, willing adults in some states may be waiting all year

President Joe Biden said Tuesday that he expected all states to open Covid-19 vaccine eligibility to all adults by April 19, and at the current pace of vaccination -- about 3 million doses administered each day -- every adult in the United States could be vaccinated by mid-summer.

But not every American plans to be vaccinated. While states such as New York and North Dakota might vaccinate all willing adults by June, it could take some states until the end of 2021 -- and there are two very different reasons for that gap.

A survey conducted by the US Census Bureau found that at least one in six adults "probably" or "definitely" doesn't plan to be vaccinated, and in some states up to a third of adults don't plan to roll up their sleeves. Other surveys have found rates of vaccine hesitancy to be even higher, cutting the vaccination line down.

And in some states, the rollout of vaccines is just plain slow, even as many residents clamor for them.

As the race between Covid-19 variants and vaccinations continues, differences in vaccine hesitancy and the pace of vaccinations mean the race looks quite different state to state.
Some states may fully vaccinate all willing adults by June, but for others, it may take until the end of the year, a CNN analysis of federal data shows.

New York has one of the lowest rates of vaccine hesitancy in the country. About 85% of adults in the state either plan to be vaccinated or already have, according to a recent US Census Bureau survey. The state is also vaccinating at a pace that's one of the fastest in the country, according to data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Click on the link for the full article