Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

Los Angeles' proposed new vaccine requirements would be one of the strictest yet, requiring people to get the shots to enter malls, movie theaters, and hair salons

Los Angeles leaders are considering new COVID-19 vaccine requirements that would be one of the strictest yet, requiring people to get the shots to enter malls, movie theaters, and hair salons, the Los Angeles Times reported on Tuesday.

The proposal also includes tanning salons, skin care businesses, tattoo and piercing shops, massage therapy settings, arcades, pool halls and bowling alleys, the report said.

It would require attendees of outdoor events with more than 5,000 people to prove vaccination or show a negative virus test as of November 4, the report said.

Los Angeles County announced 1,147 new cases were reported on Tuesday, a decline from the daily numbers earlier this year.

Public health officials however are still expressing caution.

"We've been here before. During early fall 2020, community transmission was low until, then, it wasn't," L.A. County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer told the LA Times. "Last winter was brutal, and given the unpredictability of the virus and the variants, we need to accelerate the pace of vaccinations since this is the most effective tool we have to prevent another deadly surge."

The proposed mandate follows a less strict one from earlier in September, which requires proof of vaccination against COVID-19 for indoor bars, breweries, lounges, wineries, and nightclubs, Insider previously reported.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 8:20 AM, skinsfan_1215 said:

Little case study in COVID spread. My mother in law’s 10yr old became symptomatic and tested positive on 9/14. She (vaccinated) and her husband (not vaccinated) isolated in their own house and kept their son in his room throughout the quarantine period. They went to the doctor and got his tested on 9/24. She got a test too, both came back negative.

Since my mother in law watches our kids and she didn’t get a more reliable PCR test on Friday, we asked her to get a PCR test before returning. She tested 9/27, 13 days after her son became symptomatic, and it came back positive. She is asymptomatic at this point, but we’re worried about her husband again since they ceased isolation once their negative tests came back on Friday. 

Sorry you had to go through with this, hope she is okay. One point though, PCR is not the better test for determining if someone is contagious - it's not designed to do that. Best way to stop spread is rapid testing because it picks up positives at a level of viral load that is likely infectious, earlier on in the course of illness when people can be quarantined faster. Oftentimes people get PCR tests and it's too late, by the time they test positive they've spread it already and they actually are no longer contagious.

20 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:
2 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Sorry you had to go through with this, hope she is okay. One point though, PCR is not the better test for determining if someone is contagious - it's not designed to do that. Best way to stop spread is rapid testing because it picks up positives at a level of viral load that is likely infectious, earlier on in the course of illness when people can be quarantined faster. Oftentimes people get PCR tests and it's too late, by the time they test positive they've spread it already and they actually are no longer contagious.

I know, I thanked you for sharing this info yesterday lol ;) 

20 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

These were helpful posts. Thanks guys. 

It actually makes a lot more sense with the timelines… she likely contracted it from her son very early in his illness, her J&J shot kicked covid’s ass, and that’s why the rapid test was negative and the PCR came back positive. Despite that positive, we’re assuming she was likely not contagious. 

6 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I know, I thanked you for sharing this info yesterday lol ;) 

It actually makes a lot more sense with the timelines… she likely contracted it from her son very early in his illness, her J&J shot kicked covid’s ass, and that’s why the rapid test was negative and the PCR came back positive. Despite that positive, we’re assuming she was likely not contagious. 

Ahh I missed that, thanks for the kind message lol!

It's sad to be at the point where you can't even trust family or close friends to take proper precautions. My friend was at a birthday party where they literally had to tell the bouncer don't let this guy in if you see him because they thought he might try to come being COVID positive.

• Like 1

I mean...I get the theory behind stopping trials early due to the success, but it still makes me a little nervous. How much longer would the full testing cycle have taken?

11 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Lt. Col. Theresa M. Long, who serves as the brigade surgeon for the Army’s 1st Aviation Brigade, filed an affidavit late last week in support of the suit’s motion to block the vaccine mandate, arguing against the requirement based in part on her (false) belief that “all persons who have received a Covid 19 Vaccine are damaged in their cardiovascular system in an irreparable and irrevocable manner.”

That's one hell of a claim. Is she seriously saying that almost 185 million people in the US now have irreparable cardiovascular damage?

Edited by mistertim

1 minute ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I thought the same thing, but i think the key here is that they give this medication once someone becomes infected

Oh.  Oh no.  No no no.  I want those people to bear the full consequences of not getting vaxxed in the first place.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

I wonder if now anti-vaxxers will become even more insistent about not getting the vaccine if they believe they can take this pill and it will help. Though it's not a completely unfounded off-label use of a medication, which is what they seem to love, so they might decide to say it's just as bad as the vax.

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I wonder if now anti-vaxxers will become even more insistent about not getting the vaccine if they believe they can take this pill and it will help. Though it's not a completely unfounded off-label use of a medication, which is what they seem to love, so they might decide to say it's just as bad as the vax.

I'm sure they'll just discover it's more effective as a suppository. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Oh.  Oh no.  No no no.  I want those people to bear the full consequences of not getting vaxxed in the first place.  

So, you think that once someone is carrying a life form which got inside them as a result of the person choosing to engage in risky behavior, they should be forced by the government to allow the relationship to carry through to it's natural conclusion?  

Merck news is huge. Regeneron antibody therapy is very good but is expensive AF and requires hospital visit with IV.

An at-home pill would be a game changer. Pfizer is also working on a pill for COVID prevention – awaiting results from their trial.

Vaccines alone won't end the pandemic, we need effective treatments to make this manageable. But of course vaccines are still more effective than these treatments.

• Like 1

So are all the people who aren't willing to get the vaccine because it was developed too quickly and doesn't have enough safety data going to avoid this Merck drug for the same reasons?  Surely they won't take something that only has Emergency Use Authorization?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Larry said:

So, you think that once someone is carrying a life form which got inside them as a result of the person choosing to engage in risky behavior, they should be forced by the government to allow the relationship to carry through to it's natural conclusion?  

I didn't mention the government at any point.