Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

27 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

There is so much misinformation out there, it's hard for people to navigate to the truth sometimes. 

Agreed on this.

Originally, I was hesitant about it as well.  Just in general, it felt like 'how can they possibly have a vaccine for this already' and perhaps I'll let many others be the guinea pigs before I get it.  That said, I'm not a science guy in the least, so I don't really know what goes into all this.  I imagine there are a lot of folks like me though, who don't really know the ins and outs of how this vaccine came about.  Couple that with all the misinformation out there and it's easy to see why some people have been skeptical.

Part of my hesitancy as well, could come from the fact that I didn't expect to be eligible to get it for quite some time, so I figured that I had a good window of time to assure nothing crazy happens.  But the moment it came available, much sooner than expected, I felt a duty to do it.  How salty would I be if I ended up getting a bad case of covid, knowing I had the opportunity to get the vaccine?  That's what it really boiled down to.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

But there has to be a fundamental underlying mistrust in science to listen to and accept the misinformation as truth.  

Where is that coming from?

It's not just a distrust of science, but big pharma in general and there are some good reasons for that.  I'm sure all of that gets jumbled together for some people.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

But there has to be a fundamental underlying mistrust in science to listen to and accept the misinformation as truth.  

Social media. Especially Facebook. **** has rotted people brains imo.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/25/980035707/lying-through-truth-misleading-facts-fuel-vaccine-misinformation

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pennsylvania The Latest To Announce Covid-19 Vaccines Opening To Everyone: Here’s The Full List

Pennsylvania announced Monday it will open up Covid-19 vaccine eligibility to all adults on April 13—six days earlier than planned—as President Joe Biden is moving up his timeline for vaccine eligibility from May 1 and asking states to open up vaccinations to everyone by April 19.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 3

I think suggesting they should get more vaccines sort of requires not understanding the logistics of that. 

I mean if they gave the word right now we’re talking a 6-8 week turnaround minimum before any positive effects of the first rounds of vaccines would actually be seen? The surge will be declining by then. 

unfortunately I think the more sane thing is to try to get them everywhere else to prevent a surge elsewhere...

Really the only solution in Michigan is a near total lockdown and then gradual reopening in a month or two. 

Or you just suffer the exponential case load, deaths, and suffering your residents will incur (and likely pass on outside of the State).

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

I would imagine it would be more effective to educate the people that having a third of the country with at least one dose of the vaccine is not a green light for reopening things and youth sports must shutdown especially with a new variant that is more transmissible and virulent among young people.  Then again, last year showed that some people are for trying anything except a little personal responsibility.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Not to be that asshole..but I don't get the distrust in medicine here (edit here being the 21st century US). There is absolutely no incentive to roll out a harmful vaccination, especially one that had been been tested on people for almost 12 months prior.  

It's purely political Trumpical.  Hydroxychloroquine good; vaccine bad.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Wherever it is coming from needs to be stopped and the people need  to be more educated. I told my tenant the other day I got the vaccine and she said I hope you don't turn into a monkey. 🙄

• Haha 6

Army Begins Clinical Trials on Vaccine That May Be Effective Against All Coronaviruses

Fifteen months after launching an effort to develop a vaccine against COVID-19, the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research is preparing for a clinical trial, seeking volunteers for a small safety study.

The Army's vaccine candidate uses a new technology involving a Spike Ferritin Nanoparticle, or SpFN, that researchers hope can be adapted to protect against any coronavirus, including those that cause the common cold or deadly diseases such as COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, or SARS, and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, MERS.

The WRAIR vaccine candidate has been tested in mice and monkeys and is now ready for human safety trials, according to officials at the institute, which falls under Army Medical Research and Development Command.

"Even before recent COVID-19 variants were identified, our team was concerned about the emergence of new coronaviruses in human populations, a threat that has been accelerating in recent years," Dr. Kayvon Modjarrad, director of the Emerging Infectious Diseases Branch at WRAIR, said in a released statement. "That's why we need a vaccine like this: one that has potential to protect broadly and proactively against multiple coronavirus species and strains."

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will play Monkey's Advocate... 

Big Pharma and Big Medicine are killing off their customers.  They are killing off their customers because there are cheaper alternatives.  You can't get an Emergency Uee Authorization if there are safe and effective alternatives.  They want to make that Federal Government COVID money.  But you can not give big pharma money by not getting vaccinated and using the cheaper alternatives.

Nevermind that if there is some fatal flaw in the vaccines the companies will be bankrupt.  People will pitchfork the companies and never get their vaccines again.  Nevermind that people who live are better customers.

It makes more sense if I say "Alex Jones has a net worth of $5M".