Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Biden/Harris Administration's Cabinet: Who Do You Want in Which Role and Why?

Jumbo

Feinstein’s Future Could Swing on Husband’s Potential Posting Overseas

Richard Blum, a wealthy investor and the husband of Senator Dianne Feinstein of California, has indicated to President Biden’s advisers that he’s interested in being appointed to an ambassadorship, a move that would renew questions about Ms. Feinstein’s political future.

Mr. Blum, according to Democrats in California and Washington, is eyeing a European capital, a posting that could pave the way for the 87-year-old Ms. Feinstein to leave the Senate. In November, she agreed to relinquish her ranking position on the Judiciary Committee under pressure from Senator Chuck Schumer, now the majority leader, and other Democrats.

Should Mr. Blum, 85, be appointed and Ms. Feinstein join him overseas, it could solve an increasingly awkward problem for Democrats.

Senior party officials have been blunt in private about what they describe as the senator’s diminished acuity and are eager to replace her with a Black woman, of which there are none in the Senate after the departure of Vice President Kamala Harris.

Progressive Democrats have also suggested that Ms. Feinstein’s decorous approach was ill-suited for dealing with the increasingly acrimonious partisan politics in Congress. They were particularly upset during the Supreme Court confirmation hearings of Justice Amy Coney Barrett last fall when Ms. Feinstein praised the way Republicans had handled the hearings. Soon afterward, Mr. Schumer and other Democrats persuaded her not to seek the leadership role on the Judiciary Committee.

On Tuesday, Ms. Feinstein was emphatic that she would serve the remainder of her term, which lasts until 2025, and brushed aside questions about her fitness.

Click on the link for the full article

Senate confirms Katherine Tai as top US trade negotiator

The Senate on Wednesday unanimously approved the nomination of Katherine Tai to be President Biden’s chief trade negotiator.

Senators voted 98-0 to confirm Tai as the next U.S. Trade Representative, making her the first woman of color and the first Asian American to serve as the nation's top ambassador on trade policy. Her nomination was unanimously approved by the Senate Finance Committee on March 3 after endorsements from both Democratic and Republican lawmakers.

Tai had been the top lawyer on the House Ways and Means Committee, which has jurisdiction over trade policy, since 2017. She joined the committee in 2014 and played a key role in negotiations between the Trump administration and the House over the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement.

Before her stint in the House, Tai worked in the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative since 2007, rising to chief counsel for China enforcement in 2011. 

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I'm sure there's more to it and they lied about previous use....regardless, drug use is a well known disqualifier for a security clearance

Yeaaaaa but they said it wouldn’t be a problem and then went back on that. I find it pretty disappointing. Don’t say it, easy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i would have posted this three weeks ago had i been  here

while the dems should first exhaust trying to restore the 'talking/holding the floor' og version of the filibuster, and 'carve-outs exceptions' for individual bills, if success doesn't follow from those efforts they should indeed end the 'buster no matter what the gopers say now (threaten manchin with a shaved head and less camera time)

because the diseased sacks of tissue known as mitch mcconnel and the gop congress will def end it the next time they can, period---count on it

between the gop's increasingly open embrace of its widespread racism/otherism, widespread connections to russian money/support (rooskies sales pitch is that both sides want dealings between a caucasion-run usa and them, plus the rooskies are playing the 'we hate dems a lot more these days' card)

and the gopers will end it  laughing at the libs all the way and use it as more evidence the dems are just fundamentally unfit to run the nation---too passive and inept :)

side note-- i'd also like to see a massive hunter-killer task force of mercs created to just go after the nutjob morons in all the rw militia's, proud boys, oath-humpers etc. :ph34r:

16 hours ago, Llevron said:

Yeaaaaa but they said it wouldn’t be a problem and then went back on that. I find it pretty disappointing. Don’t say it, easy. 

They said past use would not be a problem. I am not aware of them saying lying about that past would not be a problem. They are two very different things and is NOT in my mind going back on anything. Using pot Ok, lying about during the application process not OK. 

I am not saying I know for sure either, but it sounds to me like it has more to do with them lying than the pot use itself. 

Edited by goskins10

34 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

They said past use would not be a problem. I am not aware of them saying lying about that past would not be a problem. They are two very different things and is NOT in my mind going back on anything. Using pot Ok, lying about during the application process not OK. 

I am not saying I know for sure either, but it sounds to me like it has more to do with them lying than the pot use itself. 

Oh well that does explain it. Positions of trust are just that. And if you lie then I can’t trust you.

I didn’t read that, so that’s my mistake. Appreciate you clearing it up 

• Like 1