Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Biden/Harris Administration's Cabinet: Who Do You Want in Which Role and Why?

Jumbo

28 minutes ago, dchogs said:

Honest question:  can the Democratic party afford to lose talent from congress?  Is Dept of Labor a step up for Bernie?

Thing is, Bernie is not a Democrat. He tends to vote with them because his agenda aligns closer, but he’s an outsider. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I see people worrying about confirmation. First, I think there will be at least a few republican senators that cross over to give Biden a cabinet. They may not do anything else and may hate the nominee but they will give Biden the cabinet he wants for the most part. Probably pick one to run through a heavy ringer and ultimately reject but let the rest through. 

But if they really do try to block him from any cabinet then I say trump gave us the blueprint to ignore congress. Give them a chance to confirm. If not make the ones you want interim and never replace them. That's what trump did. 

Pete to UN is perfect. If not him maybe Stacy Abrams? 

Bernie for Labor - they will probably be glad to get him out of the Senate. 

Warren for DOJ - Unless the 2 GA seats go blue or it looks like there is a real chance to get the Senate in 2022. Then she needs to be Senate Majority leader. 

Is there a leadership role for Katie Porter or is she best in the House for right now? HUD maybe? A role in Labor to support Bernie?  

That's all I have for now. WIll have others later. SOS is key. Drawing a blank right now. 

Stay away from Yates, Rice, etc. Have to. Time to move on to others that have no burned history. I hate to say that because they are good people. But putting them in the administration will be giving the GOP too much to run on the next election cycle. Let them create new conspiracies. Don't give them old ones that already worked. 

2 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Another good point...see what we all learn?  Thanks. 

(You just made me wanna cry, cuz now I have to really think...)  :rolleyes:

No worries, I just remember that from the "who should Joe choose as VP" discussions.  Kamala's seat was the safer bet to keep over Liz.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, visionary said:

He's not super young.  I mean he's not in Bernie, Biden, Warren range, but I'm not sure I'd call him a rising star.  He might become a state's attorney again or take a deputy position somewhere in the justice department.  I'm not sure an older white guy would look great as the head of the justice department right now.    I would think possibilities might be Sally Yates, Preet Bharara (though he might not take it if he thinks there's conflicts of interests), or someone else.

I thought that dude was like 50. He’s 66. Damn. Staying away from the fried food in Bama I guess. 

either way, he’s not a rising star but he’s impressive whenever given the chance and should be given something to do to get him out of Alabama and working for Dems at a higher level 

1 hour ago, dchogs said:

Honest question:  can the Democratic party afford to lose talent from congress?  Is Dept of Labor a step up for Bernie?

I wouldn’t appoint any Senators to the cabinet. 

40 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Is there a leadership role for Katie Porter or is she best in the House for right now? HUD maybe? A role in Labor to support Bernie?  

shes a future Senator imo. want her taking Feinstein’s place 

41 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Stay away from Yates, Rice, etc. Have to. Time to move on to others that have no burned history.

Agreed sucks because they could do the jobs but I don’t want to create the idea of partisanship in their actions 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

10 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I think veteran affairs is to small.

I think there's something to having an eloquent gay man representing the U.S. on the international stage.  Let the world know, we will not discriminate.

Defense or UN seems bigger.

Really big Mayor Pete cheerleader, here.  But . . . 

I observe that there are a lot of countries out there who I think would have a problem dealing with a gay man.  

Now, you and I might think that they're wrong, or that's their problem, or whatever.  But it is a fact that we need to deal with, say, the Saudis.  

Not saying they have veto power over our cabinet.  But we might want to try to be . . . . diplomatic?

Katie Porter is going to the Senate replacing Kamala Harris. 

If the Senate blocks appointments, just make them interium. The Senate can't pass laws by themselves and money bills originate in the House anyway. We must push hard to flip the Senate in 2022 if the Georgia seats go to Republicans. Also, McConnell is not long for this world, he's a walking corpse now. If he actually dies before 2022, there will be a serious fight for Republican leader, taking up all of their time.

Quality candidates for Senate next time should be the focus for Democrats locally.

• Like 2

Just a quick advisory to some of our more firebrand leaning types... Joe Biden IS going to nominate at least one or two Republicans to cabinet positions. Please get used to that concept now.

He's going to do it because he ran on the idea of reaching across the aisle and restoring cooperation (yes... I think it's probably unrealistic too), but he's also going to do it because it's traditional for a president to do it as a way of smoothing the way for a peaceful transfer of power. Obama did it, Bush did it, Clinton did it, and Biden is going to do it too. Guaranteed.

Trump didn't do it, of course, but part of the reason we needed to elect Biden is to restore/shore up our government's institutions, and this is part of it.

Don't worry... he can do this and still push for ending the filibuster if he gets the chance.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I think VA is way too big for him.  Same with DOD.  I like a general “senior advisor” spot.  Get him in and around other senior level people.  A good way for him to learn and build a resume.

Some possible reactions:  

1)  So, let him be Jared?  

2)  Actually, I agree with you.  Or at least see the point.  

Part of me wants him in a job where he can run for President in 24.  But there's something to be said that he's not experienced enough for even the second-level jobs.  For example, I've heard CoS.  But to me, the guy you want for that job is kind of like Joe Biden.  You want somebody who's been building up a network all over Washington and industry for 40 years.  And that's not Pete.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

If this is what Biden's looking to do, a few Republican Senators in Democratic states would work for me.

I mean, if you can convince a Republican senator in a state with a Democrat governor, go for it. Seems unlikely, though. I'd suspect we're looking at people like Jeff Flake or Michael Steele.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Katie Porter is going to the Senate replacing Kamala Harris. 

If the Senate blocks appointments, just make them interium. The Senate can't pass laws by themselves and money bills originate in the House anyway. We must push hard to flip the Senate in 2022 if the Georgia seats go to Republicans. Also, McConnell is not long for this world, he's a walking corpse now. If he actually dies before 2022, there will be a serious fight for Republican leader, taking up all of their time.

Quality candidates for Senate next time should be the focus for Democrats locally.

I don't think it will be Katie Porter. Likely a POC. There are some really intriguing candidates. 

• Like 1