Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

We know as much as they know.  Not pleased with our F.O..  They are here as RR wanted them but at sometime you need to be aggressive.  Key point which we have some kind of idea (Stafford and what they were going to give up for him) how expensive or how cheap will they be.  I know they said all this via what I am reading in this thread.  Actions speak louder than words!

23 minutes ago, Wayne_Millner said:

“I was today years old when I learned that...”

”I bet none of my friends have the guts to share this”

”read this before it gets taken down”

“Physicality”

The term “gaslighting” used incorrectly 

Read this before it gets taken down because I bet none of my friends have the guts to share this. I was today years old when I learned that the term "gas lighting" was being used incorrectly...so I have to ask...are you gas lighting me?

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We know as much as they know.  Not pleased with our F.O..  They are here as RR wanted them but at sometime you need to be aggressive.  Key point which we have some kind of idea (Stafford and what they were going to give up for him) how expensive or how cheap will they be.  I know they said all this via what I am reading in this thread.  Actions speak louder than words!

Yeah, actions speak louder than words, but these guys have been here 2 weeks and the blockbuster trade that went down for a QB had us in the mix.

I think everything they have said is spot on.Smart and aggressive. Don't want to cripple the future.

I'm confident they'll find the right guy, whether this or next year.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not a Trubisky guy but I'd agree he's better than Darnold.  Trubisky aside from his rookie season has about a 2:1 TD to INT ratio.  That's decent.  Darnold threw more INTs than TDs this year and he did with averaging 184 yards a game, that's abysmal.  He has another season where his INTs-TDs were almost 1:1.   And  Trubisky can run.

I don't agree. I think Trubisky has been largely terrible despite playing with legit weapons and at least competent coaching.

Darnold had a good defensive coach in year 1 when he did well. Then they turned the team over to a total incompetent and slowly but surely sold off his OL, his TE got suspended and then injured, and his WR's were let go, as was his running game. 

You peel away the OL, and the playmakers, and give a QB a bottom 3-5 coach in the league, he's probably gonna suck. And Darnold did.

I don't know if he has good in him anymore, he certainly hasn't shown it much and a good large percentage of highly thought of QB prospects that are dumped into manure piles for organizations tend to fail period, but we've definitely seen guys like Rich Gannon, Ryan Tannehill, Jim Plunkett etc (not research, just digging in memory) escape bad situations and be reborn. Tannehill not coincidentally had as a rookie a coach that's disappeared entirely and then that guy was replaced by the same idiot who will never be a HC again who has ruined Darnold. 

So w/regards to Darold, I see a lot of exculpatory evidence. Terrible coach, terrible team, key pieces of the offense allowed to depart to the point where his core RB, OL, and WR options as a rookie were all gone by year 3 (2020). As such, I think he absolutely deserves a chance w/a stable environment and quality coaching. 

As for Trubisky, not elite coaching, but not horrible either, basically bottom of the middle (I regard the coaching there for him as around the 25th-40th percentile in quality, whereas Darnold the last two years has had 1st-5th percentile coach). 

Trubisky also was gifted a solid to good OL, an elite WR1 option in Allen Robinson, the team also drafted Anthony Miller to supplement the passing game and signed Taylor Gabriel (not special but coming off a solid contract year) and David Montgomery and Tarik Cohen to provide him a run game to replace Jordan Howard who was competent if not special along with Trey Burton and Adam Shaheen for the TE role.  

None of this is elite beyond ARob. I like Anthony Miller, and I did not like Monty or Burton, though I was partial to Cohen and Shaheen (Shaheen def looks like a bust at this point, and drafted rounds ahead of George Kittle and Jonnu Smith, OUCH), but the key here is they give built a team around him, spent money on legit FA's, drafted replacements for WR, RB and TE with day 2 picks, and built him an OL and brought in a highly thought of coach whose no longer as highly thought of (funny how all the highly thought of coaches have great QB's). 

And he sucked anyway. 

Trubisky was given a solid to good situation and failed badly. Darnold has the great ship Darnold torpedo'd every offseason with ever increasing stupid moves: Sabotage the OL, take away his WR's, lose his TE, bring in a RB that the coach hates and is past it anyway etc. 

To me, Darnold may make it, or may not, and a betting man goes with not, but there's reason for hope based on situation.

Trubksy flat out sucks, and there is no reason for hope. He's just failed, period. I get that he has better #'s than Darnold, but I also know that he has better position groups than Darnold at all levels including coaching and the difference isn't marginal, it's by orders of magnitude. 

So while neither option is attractive, to my mind, with Darnold, you get clarity. Either he can take advantage of what we have here and become what he showed glimpses of, or he's a bust, and you'll know pretty quick. With Trubisky you're just signing a guy you're gonna spend the next however many years wanted replaced and cut as soon as is possible period and you absolutely won't want him starting period. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I took from that statement they are in it to find the "franchise QB" and won't stop looking until they do.  I didn't take it to mean that even if they need to find a "bridge QB" first, then so be it.  I believe we'll continue to see them be aggressive to a point.  🙂

Edited by HigSkin

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yeah, actions speak louder than words, but these guys have been here 2 weeks and the blockbuster trade that went down for a QB had us in the mix.

I think everything they have said is spot on.Smart and aggressive. Don't want to cripple the future.

I'm confident they'll find the right guy, whether this or next year.

We can only hope.  I don't care for RR's choice for GM and replacement for Smith.  They're here and I'll root for their success though. :)

Just now, HigSkin said:

I took from that statement they are in it to find the "franchise QB" and won't stop looking until they do.  I didn't take it to mean that even if they need to find a "bridge QB" first, then so be it.  I believe we'll continue to see them be aggressive to a point.  🙂

Let's hope, HigSkin.  :)

• Like 1

Expected FO speak from the new administration.

"We like what we have"

"Evaluate all options"

"We will make the smart choice"

Nobody was going to come out and saying "Dear God, we have to use every available resource to get SOMETHING at QB!!" or "We have no plans to change the QB position"

keep it close to the vest and don't look frantic

We don't know anything more about their perspective now than we did yesterday, and that is how it should be

• Like 2

View from afar on Darnold was he attempted to win game and make plays, which led to a lot of TOs. He didn’t seem to worry about stats and how it could impact his future— many guys do! I can get behind a reclamation project with these kind of intangibles. This is me watching 6 games of his first two seasons. 

Love the value in today’s market in getting high pedigree QBs from league worst conditions especially at great value. Early in careers, not after a 5 year rookie deal. 

12 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

To me, Darnold may make it, or may not, and a betting man goes with not, but there's reason for hope based on situation.

Trubksy flat out sucks, and there is no reason for hope. He's just failed, period. I get that he has better #'s than Darnold, but I also know that he has better position groups than Darnold at all levels including coaching and the difference isn't marginal, it's by orders of magnitude. 

So while neither option is attractive, to my mind, with Darnold, you get clarity. Either he can take advantage of what we have here and become what he showed glimpses of, or he's a bust, and you'll know pretty quick. With Trubisky you're just signing a guy you're gonna spend the next however many years wanted replaced and cut as soon as is possible period and you absolutely won't want him starting period. 

I said I don't want Trubisky.  Yet IMO he is better IMO than Darnold.  To me Darnold flat out sucks. 

Darnold suffers from the same issue that your guy a couple years back Josh Rosen did, bad decisions, turnovers.    It was a problem in college.  Its a problem in the NFL.  I've watched plenty of Darnold and in my humble opinion he is much more likely to be a bust than a find. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Fields to DC seems extremely difficult to envisage at the minute. 

I do think trades like that are possible, but you have to think outside the box and send an overpay that anyone would consider a bit of an overpay, generally with a flashy piece if the org is stupid enough to be convinced of that (hey detroit willingly took on Goff's contract, anything is possible). 

I'd build a trade up around Chase Young and picks, or start with Payne and picks. I would include a '22 first if necessary (don't like that draft as much as this one). 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Expected FO speak from the new administration.

"We like what we have"

"Evaluate all options"

"We will make the smart choice"

Nobody was going to come out and saying "Dear God, we have to use every available resource to get SOMETHING at QB!!" or "We have no plans to change the QB position"

keep it close to the vest and don't look frantic

We don't know anything more about their perspective now than we did yesterday, and that is how it should be

I'm disappointed in our lack of systems in place to eat knee caps...and everyone should know those systems.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wit33 said:

View from afar on Darnold was he attempted to win game and make plays, which led to a lot of TOs. He didn’t seem to worry about stats and how it could impact his future— many guys do! I can get behind a reclamation project with these kind of intangibles. This is me watching 6 games of his first two seasons. 

Love the value in today’s market in getting high pedigree QBs from league worst conditions especially at great value. Early in careers, not after a 5 year rookie deal. 

Sounds like you got an image of Darnold as a dude who just lets it fly like a Fitzpatrick and Winston -- so big offensive numbers but also many turnovers from his efforts to keep making big plays?

Edited by Skinsinparadise

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm disappointed in our lack of systems in place to eat knee caps...and everyone should know those systems.

Everybody knows less thinking equals talent takeover. It is more true in the FO than on the field.

Don't use your brain when acquiring new players, just raw unadulterated gut feeling

8f36ade69ddce0335408fd9df6f520ac.gif

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1