Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If our Starting QB is making $850k, and does well, then I would have zero issue with paying 18 Million for one year, for "just a Guard".

My belief is it all comes out in the wash. Some players are overpaid, and some are underpaid.

If we fret over the players that are overpaid, shouldn't we do equal time, by doing happy dances over the players that are underpaid ?

Sniffie Longdroppings knows what it's all about...

happy dog GIF

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 5.21.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 5.21.26 PM.png

What I heard : Rivera will not tip his hand at all, regarding what he is going to do, or might do, regardless of how certain he his about what he plans or wants to do.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me, I think Mariota is better. I am not in love with any of these 2nd-3rd tier type guys but Mariota at least has some serious wheels so maybe they can figure something out on that front. 

Is that really, the only big thing he has going for him, is his legs ?

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What I heard : Rivera will not tip his hand at all, regarding what he is going to do, or might do, regardless of how certain he his about what he plans or wants to do.

Is that really, the only big thing he has going for him, is his legs ?

Nope but his mobility for me is what is most intriguing.  4.5 speed is special for a QB.  I've made plenty of lengthy comments about most of the QBs in play but I don't feel like repeating it all each time I comment on them which is a lot.  😀 

As I said a week ago, if people have 5 minutes to burn watch Mariota go head to head with Alex Smith in a high stakes playoff game.  It's a good showcase of what he can do when he's on his game.  If you want to sell yourself on Darnold, the best game for that IMO is the one ironically against us from 2019.  (I am not a Darnold guy to say the least but if I were that would be my favorite game to promote).

None of these guys are screaming Aaron Rodgers.  If they were they wouldn't be hitting the market.  But if people want a Tannehill type reclamation guy -- IMO Mariota has some tools and has some potential for that.  I don't have the energy to repeat all the reasons why again. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

On Tiki and Tierney, Tierney whose tight with the Jets org says there's a real split in the building on whether they should trade Darnold or draft a QB.  We'll see how it plays out.

Let's hope they keep him.  :)

• Like 2

My guesses are

Mariota or Darnold or Fitzpatrick or Dalton or T. Taylor.  If I had to guess it in order:

1.  Mariota

2.  Darnold

3.  Dalton

4.  Fitzpatrick

5.  Taylor

If they are looking to bring a guy in to push this team to success and have the team back him (other than Heinicke)  It's Fitz, Winston, Mariota 

If they want a game manager to take a great defensive team and conservative offense it's Mariota, by a bit then Taylor, Dalton and Brissett

Depending on the article, they are looking for one or the other if they turn to FA and Wilson, Watson.

I do not know where Tribisky fits

I did not include Darnold your.................#2??? Who are you, lol

Based on what I'm hearing from RR I'm totally on board with how they're playing it. We have two options under contract, neither of who is proven bad or good but both who deserve a shot to see what they can do because both have shown they can play. What's wrong with seeing what they can do and battling it out? While that plays out, sign a vet at a reasonable number that you believe could step in like Alex did and give us a chance to win. Fitzpatrick seems like a great fit here, a pro who can play and will fit in great. He helped Tua and could do the same with our two young guys. I'm in the camp that if we keep building the roster and make it great, the less great the QB has to be to produce wins (see Alex Smith). 

Both Kyle Allen and Heiny are dual threat QB's with good work ethics and good heads on their shoulders. They are not gonna go out and embarrass themselves or the team. Both have proven that. They are competitors who will leave it all on the field almost to a fault. 

Sign the vet and take a flier on a mid round QB in the draft if the situation presents itself and we don't think Montez has a future in the league. Ron and staff are gonna get this right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Nope but his mobility for me is what is most intriguing.  4.5 speed is special for a QB.  I've made plenty of lengthy comments about most of the QBs in play but I don't feel like repeating it all each time I comment on them which is a lot.  😀 

As I said a week ago, if people have 5 minutes to burn watch Mariota go head to head with Alex Smith in a high stakes playoff game.  It's a good showcase of what he can do when he's on his game.  If you want to sell yourself on Darnold, the best game for that IMO is the one ironically against us from 2019.  (I am not a Darnold guy to say the least but if I were that would be my favorite game to promote).

None of these guys are screaming Aaron Rodgers.  If they were they wouldn't be hitting the market.  But if people want a Tannehill type reclamation guy -- IMO Mariota has some tools and has some potential for that.  I don't have the energy to repeat all the reasons why again. 

I hear what you're saying, and I hope you're right about him becoming another Tannehill (unless he signs somewhere other than Washington)

But one major difference, and not so encouraging factor, is the fact that the Dolphins were at least able to get a 4th Rounder back, in exchange for Tannehill ; whereas meanwhile, the Raiders havn't been able to extract a single pick, in exchange for Mariota.

On 3/8/2021 at 6:15 PM, mistertim said:

Guys who consistently throw nearly as many INTs as TDs are not "low risk". Most QBs who are turnover prone remain turnover prone.

And sorry but I'm just having a hard time buying the "oh, my eyesight is better now so I won't throw as many picks" theory.

lol yeah. Kirk went to Minny because they upended their wallet for him in the belief that he'd put them over the top and take them to the SB...and they ended up a worse team than they were before. Dak is better than Kirk and Dallas still ain't going to the SB with that defense.

Dak is not better than Kirk and never has been..

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Never watch this video.  Just did.  There are some special traits that Mariota has.  He has special quickness with his feet and release.  I don't know how well he can read defenses but we have to see more of him.  We have an excellent QB coach in Zampese.  I love to see him get to work with a still young Mariota, if RR goes that route.

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Never watch this video.  Just did.  There are some special traits that Mariota has.  He has special quickness with his feet and release.  I don't know how well he can read defenses but we have to see more of him.  We have an excellent QB coach in Zampese.  I love to see him get to work with a still young Mariota, if RR goes that route.

Maybe Mariota was good at one time, and then he broke

12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's more like speculation as to why interest in him has dried up, as opposed to a specific incident(s) that broke him.

He got hurt, Tannehill took over and never looked back.  Mariota deserves another shot.  Once he is released it's on as to whether or not we sign him.  A lot of teams will be in play for him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

He got hurt, Tannehill took over and never looked back.  Mariota deserves another shot.  Once he is released it's on as to whether or not we sign him.  A lot of teams will be in play for him.

Still I don't understand why the Raiders would release him. If they can't get anything in a trade for him, and he's under contract for 2021, and he's that good, but not as good as Carr, then why not keep him, as a valuable backup ? What's the incentive for them to release him ? Is it a cap situation ?

I still prefer tyrod taylor over anyone else on the FA market.  Dual threat, takes care of the football, team player, has made a pro bowl, and the only reason he has been riding the pine recently is a trainer punctured his lung and franchise qbs took over the reins.  Considering he is getting zero hype, he will be affordable, and will likely want to be here due to close proximity to home and the fact he knows he can win a starting job here.  He is only 32, he has some good years left.  I'd hope TH wins the job, we see what he can do, but TT can jump in in a pinch.  We can win with those qbs imo.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tyrod-taylor-free-agency-2021-latest-news-rumors-scouting-report-and-possible-landing-spots/amp/

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Still I don't understand why the Raiders would release him. If they can't get anything in a trade for him, and he's under contract for 2021, and he's that good, but not as good as Carr, then why not keep him, as a valuable backup ? What's the incentive for them to release him ? Is it a cap situation ?

Raiders have cap issues....they've openly shopped Mariota to no avail because his contract is incentive laiden with very reachable ladders. I don't think they want to pay a backup as much as he's gonna make. Trading for him doesn't make much sense when you can get him much cheaper once he's released and available. At least that's the scuttlebutt I've read.

• Like 2

I think there is more than one team interested in Mariota, but like WFT, just not at the potential expense of his current contract with its $10.6M base salary plus substantial escalators per game played that could push him over $17M if he is in fact the starter in 2021. I suspect Mariota will be in enough demand once he is a free agent that he will have some decent choices on where he wants to go. The question is, how much is RR willing to pay for him? $5M? $7m? $10M? $14M? $15M? I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Edited by ODU AGGIE

21 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If we are going w/ Mariota, go into it with open eyes and the truth. He was benched due to ineffectiveness and inconsistency, during a healthy season. The injuries didn’t help and were an issue as well. They also say he was not set up for success by the organization. So it’s a mixed bag. But since his first year, which was very promising, he did not do very well.

If that is the guy Ron wants, ok let’s go, I’m on board. I’m all for giving him a chance to regain his confidence and form if the staff feels like they can maximize him. 

this article is pretty good on him. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nfl/news/marcus-mariota-benched-ryan-tannehill-titans-draft-bust/w2ssffk6p9cm13ftmajkpjomn

• Like 3