Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's why I've been pressing for, I hope RR to trade for him.  If they have the talent (Hurney and Mayhew) the tandem two work out a trade for Carr.

Edited by RWJ

In their first two weeks together, Mayhew and Hurney have done more than test their operation. The two spent a week at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., to evaluate draft talent, then returned to Ashburn to begin poring over Washington’s current personnel with Rivera.

The priority now is finding Washington’s next quarterback.

“I think the biggest thing is we got to make sure we find the right one,” Rivera said. “That’s the key. Is it imperative to find him right now? No, not necessarily. We would love to. But as we go through this process, we’re going to exhaust all avenues. We’re going to take nice long looks at every option that we have out there that’s available to us and we’ll go with the one that we believe is the best for us going forward.”

Washington tried to fill the job through a trade for Matthew Stafford, the former Detroit Lions quarterback Mayhew drafted in 2009. Although Washington made a competitive offer, according to a person with knowledge of the situation, the Los Angeles Rams won out with a package that included a third-round pick this year, two future first-round picks and quarterback Jared Goff.

AD

The Rams, who have playmakers on both offense and defense, gave up a haul to acquire the quarterback they wanted. Washington, however, may not have the same luxury. In addition to quarterback, it needs help at receiver, has to find help on the offensive line and could use depth in the secondary and at linebacker.

“That’s the struggle,” Rivera said. “That’s what you really, truly worry about. You may get what you want for the individual, but as Marty said, and it’s something we talked about a long time ago, is if you do have your franchise quarterback, can you protect him and do you have enough playmakers around him? I’d hate to go out and get a franchise quarterback, or have a franchise quarterback, and not have enough tools in place to make him efficient.”

Identifying a potential franchise QB is the first challenge. Acquiring him is the next.

“You want to be smart but you want to be aggressive in that process, and that’s kind of what our plan is right now,” Mayhew said.

Both he and Hurney praised the work of Alex Smith, the 36-year-old veteran quarterback who returned from a compound leg fracture he suffered in 2018 to go 5-1 as a starter and lead Washington back to the playoffs last season. Smith has two years remaining on his contract and has yet to say definitively if he intends to continue playing. But left unanswered in the near hour-long press conference with Mayhew, Hurney and Rivera was whether the team intends to keep him.

“The biggest thing that we have to do is we have to continue to go through our process,” Rivera said. “We’ve got to sit down and talk about it and discuss it. ... So we’ll see how it goes, but right now we’re still in a situation where we are looking at all of our options.”

The refrain was one Rivera used for most questions about the current roster and potential options at quarterback — including when he was asked about the team’s trade proposal for Stafford. In keeping with his usual approach, Rivera refused to tip his plans. But with a new front office, altered personnel department and the second year of his “culture change” in Washington underway, the coach exuded confidence in finding the “right” players.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It still makes no sense to me that the Raiders would get rid of Carr, unless they ("they" meaning "Gruden") just really dislike him or truly think he's not that good. The Raiders have an abysmal defense. So the solution to that is...get rid of your top 10-15 QB? Seems completely ass backwards. 

Maybe they think Mariota would be comparable and they could extend him for less money?

I think the only way they actually do end up trading Carr is if someone majorly overbids. That's probably why they got someone to float the "two 1sts" thing to see if it had legs. 

• Like 1

Just now, mistertim said:

It still makes no sense to me that the Raiders would get rid of Carr, unless they ("they" meaning "Gruden") just really dislike him or truly think he's not that good. The Raiders have an abysmal defense. So the solution to that is...get rid of your top 10-15 QB? Seems completely ass backwards. 

Maybe they think Mariota would be comparable and they could extend him for less money?

I think the only way they actually do end up trading Carr is if someone majorly overbids. That's probably why they got someone to float the "two 1sts" thing to see if it had legs. 

The rumors are they are all in on trading for Watson. I guess they think they can recoup some of the cost of that trade through Carr. 

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Man, these stats of Carr. Can we get the following 10 players and what are the levels of separation? What does .2 less than another guy mean? Is he .105467 ahead of number 17?

Not directly coming at you. I appreciate and value a great deal all the Twitter stuff. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The rumors are they are all in on trading for Watson. I guess they think they can recoup some of the cost of that trade through Carr. 

If that's the case it would only work if there's some sort of direct or 3-way deal for Watson. Otherwise, the Raiders could potentially end up holding the bag. If they get rid of Carr and then lose out on the Watson sweepstakes, they have no QB. But they won't have the ammo to get Watson before trading Carr. Bit of a catch-22.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Keim thinks they only do it if they can get Watson.  He also said he hears Gruden is moody and can change his mind from one day to the next

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Cam was not good the second half of the season. I mean not good at all. If you thought Jason Campbell threw dirt balls take a look at Cam's play from week 8 on. I dont know of he was injured or something. But he wasnt good. I would rather just run with Heineke, Allen and a late rounder. 

I watched a little of Cam, and saw him a bunch his last couple seasons in Car. He was washed 3 seasons ago. He’s horrible. Would rather roll with Smith. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, benskins26 said:

I watched a little of Cam, and saw him a bunch his last couple seasons in Car. He was washed 3 seasons ago. He’s horrible. Would rather roll with Smith. 

No doubt, but would you be ok with Cam as a backup who had a role in short yardage/goal line situations? I would. He would cost us next to nothing and Allen/Heiny could battle it out and show what they have while we groom a rookie or Montez. 

No way do I want Cam as our starting QB, but I'd take him as a backup with a role in the offense if he is willing to accept that. 

39 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If that's the case it would only work if there's some sort of direct or 3-way deal for Watson. Otherwise, the Raiders could potentially end up holding the bag. If they get rid of Carr and then lose out on the Watson sweepstakes, they have no QB. But they won't have the ammo to get Watson before trading Carr. Bit of a catch-22.

Stuff like this happens in litigation mediations all the time.  You get a neutral broker, whom everyone trusts, and that guy (gal) tries to broker a pareto-efficient deal among the three teams so that they don't have to spend forever playing the coy dance.

Just now, kingdaddy said:

No doubt, but would you be ok with Cam as a backup who had a role in short yardage/goal line situations? I would. He would cost us next to nothing and Allen/Heiny could battle it out and show what they have while we groom a rookie or Montez. 

No way do I want Cam as our starting QB, but I'd take him as a backup with a role in the offense if he is willing to accept that. 

I like Cam the person. I think he’s a good dude. You’d hear stories all the time in Charlotte about good deeds he did when no one was looking. That’s character. I think he’d be great in that roll, but does our offense utilize that role often enough to carry 3 qbs?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just listened to Ron being interviewed by Finlay on a podcast. 

A. He pretty much said they are bringing back Heinicke and Allen

B.  He was more vague about Alex, saying they had a conversation but it was between he and Alex

C.  Came off basically as they want to aggressively pursue every avenue at Qb, everything is on the table including the draft

D.  If the target they want isn't landed/materialize they can come back with the 2020 QBs

After the interview, Finlay suggested that they wanted, Stafford, right Qb for them at the right value.  Now that he's off the table, things are more up in the air. 

@RWJ

Finlay elaborated on what he meant by they don't know what they are going to do.  He said by that is they don't know who hits the market and how everything is going to flow just yet.  The uncertainty is because the market is still uncertain.   More names might emerge on the market, etc.  Draft could be in play.  he said he checked around and isn't as convinced they'd trade up for Fields.   He also said he doesn't think they'd sign Cam.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If Carr becomes available, former Washington head coach Jay Gruden thinks the Burgundy and Gold should absolutely make a move for him.

"I would jump on the fact to try and get Derek Carr," Gruden said, via the Standig Room Only podcast.

"I think he's one of the top quarterbacks. I thought he played extremely well this year, really."

The perspective from Jay Gruden is especially interesting, considering he's the brother of Raiders head coach Jon Gruden.

Jay, the younger of the two, said he has no inside information whether his brother plans to move on from Carr this offseason but doesn't understand why he would want to in the first place.

"I'd be shocked, really. The way Derek played this year, I don't know why he would want to get rid of him," Jay Gruden said. "But who knows? If there is another guy out there that they really like, it is a business at the end of the day."

If Washington were to acquire Carr, the former Football Team head coach thinks they'd be getting a complete quarterback. Gruden went on to name all the different ways he thinks Carr excels, which was quite a long list.

"I think Derek Carr had his best year, from an outsider," Gruden said. "Just watching Derek Carr play this year, he was efficient. Pre-snap, he was outstanding. They did a lot of things at the line of scrimmage where they would get man-zone tips, read the safeties and get into a good run or get into a good pass.

"He would maximize the information and get the Raiders into good plays on third down. Red zone, I think they were very efficient," he continued. "I think he had a great year."

Despite Carr's solid campaign, the Raiders missed the playoffs for the third consecutive year under Jon Gruden. With the head coach locked in for several more years, Jay Gruden says his brother must determine if Carr is the guy he wants to be his quarterback long-term.

"If Jon is willing to change and get a younger player in there, that's fine," Jay Gruden said. "But for what he wants to do offensively, I think Derek is the perfect match for him."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1