Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Eddie Van Halen

ixcuincle

I remember the older of my two younger brothers coming home one evening in '78 and telling me I had to hear this song Jaimie's Cryin' by this group called Van Halen,(They were getting some play on DC 101 I believe). Typical older I heeded his advice. Yeah I didn't. ;) I heard the song briefly on the radio once and thought it was good. Fast forward to a few weeks later and I remember going to one of my best friends house for a party,(parents out of town party :) ),and he had the album. End of the night I don't think we changed the album once,(had to listen to Queen). I was sold after that.  To this day,I have to listen to Runnin with the Devil,Eruption,and You Really Got me in that order. :) 

RIP Eddie. Thanks for a nearly endless number of air guitar solos played while driving. :) 

I'm the youngest of 5 children.  My closest sibling in age is my sister, who is 9 years older than me.  Yeah, I'm 37 and my oldest brother is almost 60.  I'll never forget my sister listening to Van Halen with her friend when I was 6.  1989.  I suddenly understood these people were playing "that stuff with those instruments."  I wanted to do the same.  I wanted to play guitar.  They were the first band I ever loved.

They are still top 5 to me.

I chose drums, which is another story. 

When I was 16, I downloaded their live performances on Napster, and had the most amazing viewing experience ever.  I watched those videos back to back to back to BACK.  Eddie was the focal point.

I'll never forget that night.  While another video of them was downloading, I just kept watching the previous videos, blasting them on max volume.

I remember saying out loud, by myself, multiple times, "alright, here we go baby, about to see something that's going to change you forever."

I wasn't wrong.  Hulk smash, every time.

In 1994 my wife & I went to San Diego for a few days & then drove to Palm Desert to spend a few days. It was our anniversary so I splurged and got tickets to the Bob Hope Desert Classic (Mr. Hope was still alive). As we walked the course, we noticed a guy with platinum blonde hair walking along the ropes toward us. He was looking at the fairway and talking with Eddie Van Halen. I forget who he was playing with but it was John Daly walking along in the gallery only 3 or 4 feet from us. Van Halen came over & was laughing & talking with Daly who was offering golf tips as both of them laughed and lit another cigarette. 

RIP to one of the greats. Gone far too early. 

1 hour ago, Chachie said:

I always thought Alex deserved more acclaim that he's gotten throughout his career. Amazing drummer.

Alex literally got me interested in the drums.  I'd air drum the music with whiffle ball bats.  It sounded like he was playing with friggin bats. 

Asked my dad, who is the greatest drummer ever?  He broke out his Zep 1 album, and a set of headphones.  Left me alone.  It was over at that point.  A couple months later was Zep 2 for Christmas.  Over again.

Alex is a beast, and most importantly - as straight-forward and deliberate as his playing is, the instrumentalists knew the sound they wanted.  They played for a beautiful sound, not to show off.  Even Eddie.

On 10/8/2020 at 1:44 PM, Chachie said:

I always thought Alex deserved more acclaim that he's gotten throughout his career. Amazing drummer.

Agreed. The thing about Alex is he can do anything. To me his best quality is being able to swing and be loose. He's a great shuffle drummer. I'm the One, The Full Bug, Hot for Teacher, She's the Woman, and several others are great shuffle tunes. Next to Frank Beard and Charlie Watts, he's one of the best at it. They're drumming is danceable. There aren't many current drummers good at it. Jean-Paul Gaster of Clutch is a good swing drummer. It's the Ginger Baker in Alex and jazz influence. Most modern drumming is too stiff. It's not danceable. The R&B in drumming is gone, at least in popular music. It's out there, but hard to find. Also what's great about Alex and Jean-Paul Gaster is they can also power drum in the pocket when needed.

• 3 weeks later...

The lid is still on it, and you'd have to do an autopsy on it from the inside to carve it from the outside.

Looking at it closer, it does really look carved... 

(But even then, you'd never put a candle in it with the top on. Especially indoors.)

I'm blinded by science.  :ols:

Archived