Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: California to stop sales of new gas-powered cars by 2035

Cooked Crack

California, the world’s fifth-largest economy and the state that created U.S. car culture, will stop selling gasoline-powered automobiles within 15 years, Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) announced Wednesday.

Facing record-breaking wildfire season and heat waves, made worse by climate change, California is moving to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions from automobiles, Newsom said.

“For too many decades, we have allowed cars to pollute the air that our children and families breathe,” Newsom said in a statement Wednesday. “You deserve to have a car that doesn’t give your kids asthma. Our cars shouldn’t make wildfires worse — and create more days filled with smoky air.”

The state’s clean air regulator, the California Air Resources Board, will develop regulations that ensure every new passenger car sold in the state is electric or is otherwise zero-emissions by 2035. Automakers would have until 2045 to make sure all medium- and heavy-duty trucks and other vehicles were zero-emissions, as well.

The order does not prevent Californians from owning or selling used cars with internal combustion engines, or buying them outside the state.

Because of its market muscle, California’s move could have ripple effects across the country and propel carmakers to ramp up production of electric vehicles. The state’s emissions standards are followed by 13 other states as well as the District of Columbia, and auto manufacturers build cars to meet its more stringent specifications.

Brauer, the analyst, said he was greeting Newsom’s move with some skepticism. “Whenever you’re putting out a prediction like that I always feel like there’s kind of an easy to win to look very environmentally progressive without any accountability. Because who is going to be in government in 2035 compared to who is there now?” he said.

He noted that California in the past has set targets for electric or zero emissions vehicles automakers had to sell, figures that were “constantly updated or revised or delayed” as the companies struggled to comply.

Still, a push to meet California’s deadline would represent a fundamental strategic shift for the auto industry, which is still heavily reliant on gas-guzzling pickup trucks and SUVs to meet its annual sales goals. Electric vehicles still make up only two percent of new car sales, Brauer said.

• Like 1

That's a lofty goal, but I'm not sure how realistic it is. We'd have to advance charging tech significantly, as most Californian's can't really wait around 45 minutes at a station while their cars charge.

I'm all for a cleaner environment, but getting rid of ICE engines completely doesn't sound feasible in the next 14 years.

A vast leap in fuel economy though? That should be high priority.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

That's a lofty goal, but I'm not sure how realistic it is. We'd have to advance charging tech significantly, as most Californian's can't really wait around 45 minutes at a station while their cars charge.

I'm all for a cleaner environment, but getting rid of ICE engines completely doesn't sound feasible in the next 14 years.

The kicker isn't that you're getting rid of them. You're just not selling new ones after 2035. So that gives you another decade or so on top of the next 14 years to work on the infrastructure and battery charging/swapping change that will be needed. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Larry said:

Or buy them out of state.  

And likely pay a huge penalty in doing so. 

Edit..or have the State DMV refuse to register and license 2036 and newer internal combustion engine vehicles. 

If they want to get hardcore about it. 😁

Edited by The Evil Genius

Just now, Xameil said:

Sooooo...they better get going on their hydrogen fuel cell cars otherwise there will be a HUGE drain on the power grid...oh and they still do get a good amount from combustion 

And you think the brownouts and rolling blackouts are bad now...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xameil said:

Sooooo...they better get going on their hydrogen fuel cell cars otherwise there will be a HUGE drain on the power grid...oh and they still do get a good amount from combustion 

Thr amount of solar (and to a lesser degree) wind farms in NorCal would amaze some people.  AFAIK,  every public school in the area is covered with solar panels in their parking lots. A lot, A LOT, of houses too.

• Like 1

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

Thr amount of solar (and to a lesser degree) wind farms in NorCal would amaze some people.  AFAIK,  every public school in the area is covered with solar panels in their parking lots. A lot, A LOT, of houses too.

Oh...I was talking about SoCa....northern CA gets most of theirs from Oregon and their wind and hydroelectric

• Like 1

I'm surprised people are shocked by this.. many other countries are already doing this, some even earlier. It's not that crazy. Teslas and other electric cars are everywhere these days, and teslas are currently the highest selling car. Look at how much more advanced their tech has gotten in the last 5 years. Factor in typical technological exponential growth, electric cars will no doubt be cheaper and more efficient than most ICE cars by 2035. CA has also already passed a law forcing all new construction to be powered by renewable energy, so I don't think the net increase in the power grid will be nearly as bad as people think

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I think it is a lofty goal. I am not mad about it.  My biggest question is whether the technology is there to mass produce these vehicles and how anyone is expected to afford them that isn't already buying them now anyway.  

Battery technology is getting better and cheaper every year. Tesla is already promising a car in the $20k range in the next 3 years. And now that other companies have seen Tesla's model work, theyre already rushing to convert their fleets to electric. If entire countries are able to do it, I think 1 state can do it (especially the state that's home to the biggest electric car company in the world)

Edited by mammajamma
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Battery technology is getting better and cheaper every year. Tesla is already promising a car in the $20k range in the next 3 years. And now that other companies have seen Tesla's model work, theyre already rushing to convert their fleets to electric. If entire countries are able to do it, I think 1 state can do it (especially the state that's home to the biggest electric car company in the world)

I'm picking up what you're putting down, my dude!

• Haha 1

It is a lofty goal. Maybe 15 years. I think 25-30 is a better bet. Americans love big SUVs. Chevy is making the Hummer a Hybrid, that was supposed to be announced back in March or May can’t remember but delayed due to COVID. I would like to see battery tech get to about 300-400 miles per charge before I think people make the switch big time. People just can’t wait 45mins for a charge. Maybe 10mins the time it takes to fill up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

Electric cars can plugged in at home and charged overnight.  There are also many charging stations at apartment complexes, and some offices and some parking lots at malls and shopping centers.

Tesla announced they are coming out with a $25k car soon.  There's not many excuses left to why most people can't switch to ZEV when purchasing a new vehicle.  

I think this is step in the right direction.  I  would like to see more concrete steps, especially while Newsom is still in office.  The announcment does seem a bit like punting the football - I think a hard requirement of 10% of new vehicles sales to be LEVs/ZEVs by 2025 woudl be more than reasonable concrete goal to achieve in the short term. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Tesla announced they are coming out with a $25k car soon.  There's not many excuses left to why most people can't switch to ZEV when purchasing a new vehicle.  

I think there is plenty of excuses. 

1. takes to long to charge even the “quick” charge is 20 mins and only gets you another 100 miles or so, you need to get it so a full charge takes under 10 mins.

2. not enough charging stations. Yes, they are getting more. But until just about every gas station off the highway has at least 3 charging stations. 
3. batteries don’t go as long has a normal gas tank. I can 350-400 miles out a tank of gas. Your lucky if you get 250-300 miles per charge 

4. cost of them. Yes Tesla is coming in when cheaper cars. But as I said before Americans love big SUVS. Chevy and Ford in the last few years have gotten rid of sedans. The Tesla I would buy costs about 110k. Even the Truck Tesla is 85k the way most people will want it. 

These are just the big ones I can quickly come up with