Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: California to stop sales of new gas-powered cars by 2035

Cooked Crack

8 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Like I mentioned, we need more infrastructure. I've lived in a dozen different complexes in and around southern California and only one of them had an area where you could charge your car, and it was 2 or 3 bays. I'm talking about Orange County, as well; one of the wealthiest counties in the state. If you own a home, you're fine, but with housing already at unaffordable levels (to be generous), you have to rely on apartment amenities.

Now that I think about, going complete ICE-free takes a backseat to our housing crisis in this state. I'd like to not have to pay $2k per month for a 1 bedroom apartment before I worry about going completely vehicle green.

$2k / month ?  Lucky you .. I pay $3k before utilities ... $2k will barely get you a run down studio up here.

18 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Sounds like Prohibition, the car version.

That would suggest they will change their mind down the road?

Aren't we in the Greek alphabet in tropical storms now?  California is more ahead in desperation FOR those states that will be underwater soon, like Florida.

This will work out fine if Biden gets the senate, thats only way it doesn't get badly circumvented. 

• 1 year later...

As California moves ahead on electric vehicles, Missouri, other states try to pull plug

California is moving closer to banning the sale of new gas-powered cars by 2035, but Missouri and 16 other states are trying to block the maneuver.

Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt, who is running for U.S. Senate, is among a group of Republican attorneys general who filed a lawsuit in May seeking to overturn President Joe Biden’s decision to allow California to set its own vehicle emissions standards.

Schmitt said allowing California to issue its own rules could cost Missourians down the road.

“If California is able to set restrictive ‘gas emissions’ standards, manufacturing becomes astronomically expensive, and those additional costs are passed onto consumers, many of which are Missourians,” Schmitt said in announcing the lawsuit.

On Wednesday, a Schmitt spokesman said, “We will continue to fight California’s efforts to impose their radical policies on the rest of the country.”

The California Air Resources Board is set to issue a rule Thursday requiring that 100% of all new cars sold in the state by 2035 be free of fossil fuel emissions.

Click on the link for the full article

3 minutes ago, China said:

The California Air Resources Board is set to issue a rule Thursday requiring that 100% of all new cars sold in the state by 2035 be free of fossil fuel emissions.

. . . which will simply cause all cars to be bought out of state.  

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

Ahem. Puts on former transportation planner hat.

Nope.

Because California will close that loophole by taxing the ever living **** out of it (car purchases made out of state). Or at least, that's an avenue I would suggest. 

I always find it interesting when absolute states right people (like the gop wankers in mizzou) realize they really don't want absolute states rights. Bfe Mizzouians shouldn't decide how bad California's AQ has to be to satisfy their bottom line. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

Another way to tax the ever living **** out of new gas cars here would be California using their current mandatory smog testing program (that starts year 5 for new vehicles, e.g. 2022 model doesnt get first smog test until 2027 and then every other year after) and modify it so that gas cars get smogged every year from purchase at a set much higher cost (they usually run $60 ish) and/or make the license and registration higher for gas only vehicles. 

California taxed tobacco so much here that cigarette smoking rates fell through the basement (they went from roughly 20% of the population to under 9%, which is about 6.5% lower than the national average.).

Edited by The Evil Genius

14 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Time for the Show Me State to grab those bootstraps and start building their own cars!  

60D0B198-ABA9-4271-937C-6D7DFE96078A.jpeg

Pfft...the Adobe is much more ecologically friendly.

And affordable enough for the people in Missouri.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Larry said:

Ev adoption in California is already higher than every where else. Personally I think it’s a realistic goal.  I’m assuming there are exceptions for trucks and tow vehicles as EVs result aren’t suited for hauling/towing…

5 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Another way to tax the ever living **** out of new gas cars here would be California using their current mandatory smog testing program (that starts year 5 for new vehicles, e.g. 2022 model doesnt get first smog test until 2027 and then every other year after) and modify it so that gas cars get smogged every year from purchase at a set much higher cost (they usually run $60 ish) and/or make the license and registration higher for gas only vehicles. 

California taxed tobacco so much here that cigarette smoking rates fell through the basement (they went from roughly 20% of the population to under 9%, which is about 6.5% lower than the national average.).

Having the same thing done to personal vehicles would be great, if mass transit infrastructure can take its place but there is a lot of work to do…

Virginia likely to adopt California's plan to ban gas-powered vehicles

Virginia will likely adopt California's plan to ban gas-powered vehicles by 2035 in what the states say is an attempt to fight climate change.

According to multiple reports, Virginia will follow California because the state’s former governor, Ralph Northam, a Democrat, signed legislation in 2021 that is tied to California’s emissions regulations.

"In 2021, Governor Northam and the far-left controlled General Assembly signed a law that binds Virginia to California's emission vehicle regulations, which, among other things, bans the sale of gas-powered cars in Virginia by 2035," a spokesperson for Virginia Attorney General Jason Miyares' office said in a statement to Fox 5 DC.

The spokesperson also told Fox 5 DC that Miyares is hopeful the General Assembly repeals the law.

• 2 weeks later...

New California Bill Will Pay Residents $1,000 for Not Owning a Car

California state officials are doing everything they can to bring down the state’s emissions, even though the grid isn’t quite up to the task of handling all those EVs. On Wednesday, state officials took things a step further and passing a bill that would give a tax credit to income-challenged residents who don’t own cars, the Washington Post reports.

The bill essentially incentivizes not owning a vehicle, by providing a $1,000 tax credit for single filers making up to $40,000 per year; $60,000 for joint filers. While it looks good on paper for residents, it doesn’t come across that way once you hear that this incentive is a very scaled-back version of what was originally proposed.

Also, like all things political, not everyone is happy. Residents have taken to sites like Reddit to complain. One LA resident said they appreciate the effort, but giving people money for not having a vehicle is a basically a wash when a lot of transit systems here aren’t even good. And there are other factors at play, like high housing costs that force people to commute longer distances than California public transit can handle.

I absolutely disdain the car dependent culture of the US, but how exactly is giving people money going to fix this problem? Our current public transit systems are not good enough to support a full transition away from car dependency. That plus the fact that people commute from so far away due to housing prices means that just handing people $1k, $2.5, or any other amount of money wouldn’t do much at all to get cars off the road. Please, explain to me if I’m wrong, but I’d much rather they take that money and invest it in better public transit instead of just throwing it at people and expecting them to stop driving for some reason.

most the people complaining about it will themselves be driving an electric car come 2035. The market is clearly moving that direction. 

For me, truck is now payed off and should get another 5 years out of it… hopefully… this will just mean there’s more options, reliability is better, and more charging stations. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Thumb up 2

22 minutes ago, tshile said:

most the people complaining about it will themselves be driving an electric car come 2035. The market is clearly moving that direction. 

For me, truck is now payed off and should get another 5 years out of it… hopefully… this will just mean there’s more options, reliability is better, and more charging stations. 🤷‍♂️ 

Yeah, I bought my current car in December 2019.  I fully expect when I buy my next car it will be an electric vehicle, and any concerns I have had about EVs will mostly have gone by the wayside.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, China said:

Yeah, I bought my current car in December 2019.  I fully expect when I buy my next car it will be an electric vehicle, and any concerns I have had about EVs will mostly have gone by the wayside.

For me it’s just towing and recharging. 

they can tow a lot more, at least things like the rivian, but I’d like to have a better idea how often you have to stop and recharge for how long when you’re towing 7-10k lbs of stuff behind you. 

stopping often especially to maneuver around parking lots, while towing something large, sucks. The idea is to get on the highway and stay there…

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

That’s probably only affecting a small percentage of the end users

Maybe it depends where you live. I see people towing stuff all the time. And RV demand and use went through the roof when Covid started (and it was already a popular thing.) in fact the trendy investment move for a few years now has been to buy up rv/trailer lots. 

and most people can’t swing a vehicle just for towing. For most of us, that just becomes our every day vehicle. 

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

Maybe it depends where you live. I see people towing stuff all the time. And RV demand and use went through the roof when Covid started (and it was already a popular thing.) in fact the trendy investment move for a few years now has been to buy up rv/trailer lots. 

and most people can’t swing a vehicle just for towing. For most of us, that just becomes our every day vehicle. 

yea, I am saying over 100 miles. I assume most people are mainly towing in town, like from their house to the boat ramp…. From their house to the landfill…. I didn’t consider RVs but yea, you will lose at least half of the range towing things, based on towing stuff with a model y…

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

We've been debating if we want to stick with RV life due to the increasing cost.  It isn't unusual to see rv spot prices that have risen 400% in the last 3 or so years.  We are probably spending more now on this lifestyle than we were in our sticks and bricks.

5 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

We've been debating if we want to stick with RV life due to the increasing cost.  It isn't unusual to see rv spot prices that have risen 400% in the last 3 or so years.  We are probably spending more now on this lifestyle than we were in our sticks and bricks.

You’re not the only person that’s told me that. 

My gut - without actually being involved just following things - you’re probably seeing the end result of the gigantic surge in RV sales and ownership with Covid. 

I would expect it to level back out, but, maybe not…

but between that and fuel prices, people been complaining a lot. Add to it that most of the people I know doing it are doing it to travel in retirement - so fixed income but also everywhere they go to eat and such is much more expensive than it used to be. 

• Like 1