Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I was talking about this the other day. We have got to have the youngest 53 in the league, especially now without AP. Other than Kerrigan and TD, is anyone else even 30? That's incredible and exciting. The future is so ****ing bright for this team.

Alex Smith and Dontrelle Inman, but none of our guys above 30 are expected to be main contributors for the team. If you take Alex Smith and Thomas Davis out of the equation we are probably the youngest team in the NFL. I expect us to fight for the NFC East in 2021 and for once stay competitive for a while. 

10 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Alex Smith and Dontrelle Inman, but none of our guys above 30 are expected to be main contributors for the team. If you take Alex Smith and Thomas Davis out of the equation we are probably the youngest team in the NFL. I expect us to fight for the NFC East in 2021 and for once stay competitive for a while. 

Ah yeah, Smith. How old is Inman? I forget about that guy all the time. 

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2020-edition-falcons-jaguars-eagles/#:~:text=Ranking NFL teams by age after 53-man cutdowns%3A 2020 edition,-By Jimmy Kempski&text=As of roughly 7%3A53,youngest team in the NFL.

This says we're not close to being the youngest, but I can't believe that. 

I do agree the arrow on a full rebuild and rebrand from the top to the bottom is pointing up. It's really exciting. So many players we've drafted over the last 3-4 years make up our roster and we have a ton of cap space.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ah yeah, Smith. How old is Inman? I forget about that guy all the time. 

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2020-edition-falcons-jaguars-eagles/#:~:text=Ranking NFL teams by age after 53-man cutdowns%3A 2020 edition,-By Jimmy Kempski&text=As of roughly 7%3A53,youngest team in the NFL.

This says we're not close to being the youngest, but I can't believe that. 

I do agree the arrow on a full rebuild and rebrand from the top to the bottom is pointing up. It's really exciting. So many players we've drafted over the last 3-4 years make up our roster and we have a ton of cap space.

He's 31. Alex Smith and Thomas Davis skew our average age heavily, they aren't even going to start. Without them we jump up to the 4th youngest team in the league with the average player being 25.3 years old. Now if you take out our 3 special teams guys that are 30+ (or almost 30+) we might be the youngest lol. 

Another who intrigues

Finally some respect 😀 others have us typically 31st or 32nd.  We got 29th from ESPN.   Though I looked at their projected top 100 players in the league this year, we got none, I didn't count but looked like we were the only team without a player.  They will be wrong about that -- Chase Young. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/29793183/2020-nfl-projections-unit-grades-mike-clay-best-worst-offenses-defenses-plus-ranking-all-32-teams

29. Washington Football Team

The good news is that Washington has put together one of the league's best young defensive lines, led by five first-round picks, including 2020's second overall selection Chase Young. The bad news is that pretty much every other positional unit is either weak or unproven. That includes key positions like cornerback, offensive line, wideout and, of course, quarterback. The team's 2020 prospects will bank on the development of second-year Dwayne Haskins Jr., but he'll need to overcome arguably the league's worst offensive supporting cast.

7 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We have 24 players under the age of 25 on this roster and a majority of those are starting. It's going to be fun watching this team grow, I'd say since Kirk left we have been rebuilding the roster and gradually making it younger. I feel like the fans deserved a true rebuild, and now we finally have a home-grown roster in place for the first time in 20+ years. This isn't a squad of mercenaries anymore. 

Edit: Correction, we have 25 players under 25. I don't remember us ever having that much. 

Pete Haley of nbc sports Washington posted we are the 14th youngest team.  Tied with 4 other teams. I’m mobile but will try and find the tweet later.  If you don’t count Alex we probably move up to 7 or 8.

Why some teams didn't want Alabama's Robert Foster at the NFL scouting combine8

Gallery: Robert Foster Profile

Facebook Share
Twitter Share

At least some NFL teams didn't want Robert Foster at the NFL scouting combine.

They were hoping the former Alabama wide receiver didn't get an invite and were disappointed when he did.

The reason?

As people at Alabama have heard it, those teams were hoping for Foster to continue to go under the radar and for them to be able to steal him in the later rounds of the NFL draft or possibly as an undrafted free agent. However, they knew that was probably no longer going to be a possibility once Foster got that combine invite in early February.

Some NFL teams may not yet be aware of Foster's speed and physical tools. They will be soon, though. Unfortunately for those teams that were hoping for Foster to continue to fly under the radar.

"I think he's as good as anybody else that will be out there at the combine," former Alabama wide receiver and current NFL draft prospect Calvin Ridley said of Foster. "Brings elite speed and great route running. Regardless of his production for us the past few years, I think he will show everyone at the combine truly how talented he is and that he's just as good as anybody else."

One of Foster's nicknames at Alabama: "The Road Runner."

On a team full of fast players, Foster was arguably the fastest.

The 6-foot-2, 195-pound Pennsylvania native ran the 40-yard in 4.34 seconds during the Tide's 2016 spring testing, which was tied with Anthony Averett and Tony Brown for the fastest time on the team.

He ran a 4.44 40 in 2015 and a 4.47 last year.

Regardless of the times, though, people at Alabama will tell you that Foster is a rare level of fast, which should show when wide receivers go through on-field testing at the combine on Saturday.

"I expect him to really just set it on fire (at the combine)," former Tide linebacker Rashaan Evans said. "I think it's good for him to be kind of under the radar because no one expects anything as far as what he's going to run in the 40 or anything else because they really don't even know too much about him. But I think once he (goes through) the combine and him doing the 40, the L-cone drill, the (shuttle drill) and him getting on the field and seeing how he can catch on the run and all those things, they're going to be blown away."

Though his numbers last season weren't great by any means, Foster started 13 of Alabama's 14 games and was tied for second on the team among wide receivers with 14 catches.

He had a season-high three catches during the Tide's win over Georgia in the national championship game. And there was an early season touchdown against Colorado State that showed the speed that will be on display at the combine. After catching a pass approximately 15 yards down the field, Foster flew past multiple Colorado State players on his way to a 52-yard touchdown.

Ridley, Evans and others like Minkah Fitzpatrick have also seen more of that speed and athleticism in person in recent weeks. Those three along with Foster and a few other former Alabama players have been doing their pre-draft training together in Tuscaloosa.

Foster started with that training three days after the national title game.

"He's a freakish athlete," Evans said. "He can do some things that, you'll look at some of these guys at the combine and be like 'OK, they're good' but then you'll see Robert and be like 'Why isn't he like top-five?' ... A lot of people are going to be surprised by what he does."

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2018/02/why_some_nfl_teams_didnt_want.html

Caught up with Finlay's latest podcast.

Jay didn't get what he wanted as for cuts.  Bruce didn't like to own up to mistakes.  Ron does own up to mistakes and he does get what he wants -- that's progress as for how they handle cuts.   They suspected if Ron didn't have control, the previous regime wouldn't have let them release Peterson.

Logan Thomas doesn't look athletic or fast.  And he's the best they got at the position.  In short, TE likely isn't hot.

Smith-Williams had a really good camp

Reuben Foster right now has lost his athleticism -- maybe he will get it back next year

Expect a lot of 2 back sets

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Logan Thomas doesn't look athletic or fast.  And he's the best they got at the position.  In short, TE likely isn't hot.

Not what I wanted to hear, but makes sense.  If we can get decent play from that group, I'm fine. 

If we can adequately have TE receiving production from just this oddball scheme, then we can make do.

Hurts us for 3rd and Longs and the like, but we aren't contending this year.

Smith-Williams had a really good camp

Why keep Ryan Anderson and not trade him if there's a rookie who had a great camp?

Expect a lot of 2 back sets

20 personnel.  2 RB, 3 WR, and 0 TE sets.  Let's do it!

I’m with SIP - Sullivan and Foster are two guys I’d be interested in bringing in.  I wasn’t a bit fan of Tega or Throckmorton, but I have to imagine we’re looking hard at tackles (and receivers, TEs and maybe backers).  

Gotta feel for these guys that make the final cut only to be released the next day for a waiver wire addition (especially rooks and dudes with families). 

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Why do I get the feeling they're getting ready to put Fuller on short-term IR?

Anyone they would have worked out yesterday couldn't even make it to the final cuts with any team. I suspect that's more for practice squad than anything. If you're going to IR Fuller, most likely you'd seek someone just cut

1 minute ago, Jericho said:

Anyone they would have worked out yesterday couldn't even make it to the final cuts with any team. I suspect that's more for practice squad than anything. If you're going to IR Fuller, most likely you'd seek someone just cut

It all flows down.  Cole Luke doesn't have to be Fuller's direct replacement, just someone they'd potentially consider adding to their practice squad if a spot became available, due to promoting someone from their practice squad to replace Fuller.

It's not just this one tweet that's sending off alarm bells.  It's based on everything I've seen up to this point.  

And I'm not saying it's definite.  Just a gut feeling.  I hope I'm wrong.

Archived