Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Training Camp Discussion Thread

JSSkinz

The Browns just wavied TE Pharoah Brown to make room for their wavier pickups.  Big target who can block.  Remember this guy had a nasty leg injury while at Oregon and has had to grind his way into the NFL after going undrafted.  They're  trying to get him to PS.  Get this guy Ron!

28 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/1302654538021777416?s=20

John Keim (@john_keim) Tweeted:
Cam Sims to Washington PS per source..

Yea, I was aware. I was responding to the post/tweet that showed him on our PS. So I was saying in my opinion, that it's time to move on from him, even occupying a PS space. I say that for several reasons.

12 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Broke his hand in preseason. With the additions of draft picks and Johnson, He is the odd man out now.

He suffers from many of the same issues as DK Metcaff had as a receiver, but I'm cool with him being a one trick pony for now. From a physical standpoint, he outpaces AGG in almost every category. Height, weight, speed (MPH 40yd and 20yd), wingspan, hand size... its not even close in a few of those areas.

What's his cube time?  Can he bowl 300?  Lasso grizzly bears? 

4 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm just going to say this here because one of the most useful things I've ever read, I read here.  It's NOT "whom" in this situation, it's "WHO", no M.  The technical answer is, if it's a subject, it's "who" and if it's an object it's "whom".  "Whom left Pittsburgh" modifies the subject, Davis, so it's WHO.  If you say, "they gave a signing bonus to who", it should be whom (whom being the object of the bonus). 

HOWEVER, the amazing thing I read here a few years ago was a very simple way to figure this out:  substitute "he" for "who" and "him" for "whom" and plug it in.  If it makes more sense with "he", then use "who".  If it makes more sense with "him", use "whom".  Ex:  "Davis (HE left Pittsburgh to get some scratch from Dan) is re-signing with the Stealers."  Conversely, "The Skins are giving a $2,000,000 signing bonus to HIM" (= WHOM).  I'm not trying to be a pedantic jerk here at all.  It's just that who/whom is something almost everybody takes a sack for but someone here posted an easy escape, and seeing Scheffy say "whom left Pittsburgh" just hurts.

EDIT:  Does anybody remember who wrote that post?  I think it was in a thread about Dexter Manley, about 5 or 6 years ago.

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

Its funny how so many are complaining that our roster is woefully under talented and yet we've released three players this week who are now on other teams rosters, and two of them are from the offense which has been described by some as being almost completely devoid of talent.

We've always released players WHO have been picked up by other teams.  The problem isn't lack of talent on the field so much as lack of talent on the sidelines.  I would not be surprised to see this team significantly outperform expectations.  We finally have real coaching (without ego) which, except for Gibbs, we haven't had since George Allen.  40 men together can't lose!

55 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

We don't have any offensive tackles or running backs on our practice squad yet. I'm guessing that will be addressed with a couple of the 4 remaining spots.

Unless the final 53 has change, we have 5 tackle-types on the roster and that is usually about how many you carry total between the 53 and PS at this time of the year.

16 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

I'm just going to say this here because one of the most useful things I've ever read, I read here.  It's NOT "whom" in this situation, it's "WHO", no M.  The technical answer is, if it's a subject, it's "who" and if it's an object it's "whom".  "Whom left Pittsburgh" modifies the subject, Davis, so it's WHO.  If you say, "they gave a signing bonus to who", it should be whom (whom being the object of the bonus). 

HOWEVER, the amazing thing I read here a few years ago was a very simple way to figure this out:  substitute "he" for "who" and "him" for "whom" and plug it in.  If it makes more sense with "he", then use "who".  If it makes more sense with "him", use "whom".  Ex:  "Davis (HE left Pittsburgh to get some scratch from Dan) is re-signing with the Stealers."  Conversely, "The Skins are giving a $2,000,000 signing bonus to HIM" (= WHOM).  I'm not trying to be a pedantic jerk here at all.  It's just that who/whom is something almost everybody takes a sack for but someone here posted an easy escape, and seeing Scheffy say "whom left Pittsburgh" just hurts.

As one who speaks and writes as if English is my second or third language (it isn’t unfortunately) that he/who, him/whom is great stuff. It would have helped me immensely to have known it when I was in school. (But that’s another story thank god for the G.E.D.)

On a side note I once heard that McArthur’s famous line, “I shall return!”, is actually grammatically incorrect. Which puzzles me because it “sounds” correct to me. Does anyone know?

1 minute ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

As one who speaks and writes as if English is my second or third language (it isn’t unfortunately) that he/who, him/whom is great stuff. It would have helped me immensely to have known it when I was in school. (But that’s another story thank god for the G.E.D.)

On a side note I once heard that McArthur’s famous line, “I shall return!”, is actually grammatically incorrect. Which puzzles me because it “sounds” correct to me. Does anyone know?

I/we = shall, 2nd and 3rd person (you, youz, y'all, they, he, she, it) = will.  "Shall" is considered kind of formal so if you say "you shall", you're basically threatening someone.  So MacArthur was correct.  I was in Australia years ago with a bunch of Aussies (there are quite a few of them in Australia), and they sang "Rule Britannia" with the line "Britons never never will be slaves".  I pointed out that Britons actually sing it as "shall" not "will".  They looked at me funny.  "We're not as dumb as some of us think you think we are."

Archived