Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

8 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Hopefully the tanking allegations drive the league to "clean up" on all fronts and Dan gets swept out as part of it.

This is what I’m hoping. This is a dangerous time for the NFL and they’re getting hammered from all sides. This might be the perfectly wrong time (for Snyder) for this stuff to rear its ugly head AGAIN. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Dissident2 said:

The groping thing is pretty powerful, but to me the biggest thing as far as a smoking gun is hearing someone say those cheerleader videos were made “for the owner.” I’ve always thought if those could be tied to him it would be over. 

Read somewhere that the female employees going to testify(or speak) at roundtable were elated to have a male employee joining them.  The article alluded he was a part of editing the cheerleader video and could state who ordered it made and for who….so there you go.  

From another WC forum:  "It's not a good look. For once, Washington won't get lambasted by the media for wrongdoing. We are on the plus side here with a Hispanic HC, a Black Team President, a Black GM, a female executive and first full-time female NFL on air broadcast crew member, the first full time Black female coach and one of the first full time female coaches of any race."

18 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

What a pathetic reveal. Wow. This team never ceases to entertain me on a new level. They're Marx Brothers level comedic at this point. Snyder makes Rufus T. Firefly (the character, not the ES Poster) look competent.

Jesus man, be careful. You almost accidentally called me competent.

faint-fainting.gif

• Haha 5

Said in an earlier post what I think about the team president, and yesterday's comments only reinforced those feelings. "Resonate with the fans", eh? Just a ball face lie. He has no credibility moving forward; didn't have much to begin with in my eyes, anyway. I also don't buy the trademark excuse for not opting for RedWolves or some variation of that. It just doesn't add up. The logo design could've easily been one that clearly distinguised Washington from Minnesota's NBA team.

Edited by skinzplay
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Said in an earlier post what I think about the team president, and yesterday's comments only reinforced those feelings. "Resonate with the fans", eh? Just a ball face lie. He has no credibility moving forward; didn't have much to begin with in my eyes, anyway. I also don't buy the trademark excuse for not opting for RedWolves or some variation of that. It just doesn't add up. The logo design could've easily been one that clearly distinguised Washington from Minnesota's NBA team.

He explained it IMO well on 106.7, here's the ESPN version.   Wright doesn't seem to the type that would just go aganst fan sentiment for kicks and giggles.  The best move they could make is to run with the most popular move.  Red wolves judging by talk radio had rabid fans and rabid haters though too.  So I think they were in a no win situation no matter what name they choose.  Sheehan among others led the dance that Red Wolves sounded like a kids team.  Personally I liked it but it certaintly wasn't universally loved that much I could tell. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33198434/washington-commanders-nfl-franchise-search-new-nickname-logo

But just to reach this point, starting shortly after he was hired in August 2020, Wright and his team had to sift through 40,000 submissions by fans that led to 1,200 name ideas. They received one from a 6-year-old in Alaska, another from a great-grandmother whose family had watched every game for decades. Then, in April, Wright sent a letter to fans asking for their input on 30 names.

The group scoured the internet daily, gauging fan interest. Group members had dozens of one-on-one sessions with fans. They performed quantitative and qualitative surveys. They did design research. They cold-called fans. Because so many involved in the process were new to the organization, they said the goal was to understand which name resonated most with fans.

In September, the team purchased a handful of domains and trademarks of names they knew would be finalists, including Commanders. They wanted to limit, or beat, trademark squatters. Still, they ended up buying a handful of names from squatters.

By this point, the franchise had close to a dozen fully designed brands covering the finalists. Each one had a logo, a wordmark, a manifesto, its own typeface and font and apparel and gear.

Among the names they researched heavily: The Washington, D.C. Football Club and the RedWolves. There were problems with both. The DCFC was heavily considered, and they even designed logos. They wanted to play off the temporary Football Team name. But during the trademark search, they discovered there was a professional soccer team in Michigan called the Detroit City Football Club -- DCFC -- that had the colors burgundy and gold, same as Washington.

"If we had gone with that without doing that check, not only the name would have been in jeopardy but the burgundy and gold would have been in jeopardy," Wright said. "They could have said we own the brand and the colors, you have to change both your name and the colors. That would have been the ultimate disaster."

With the RedWolves, a popular choice on social media, they kept running into roadblocks. Every time they would design a wolf logo, the trademark lawyers -- internal and external -- would warn of issues. Often it was because the logo looked too much like others already in use. Sometimes the angle of the profile was too close to another. Finding a way to make it distinct became difficult.

They did not want a situation like the Cleveland Guardians baseball team, which announced its name change last July and soon became embroiled in a lawsuit -- since settled -- with a roller derby team in the city that used the same name. That situation led Wright to fret over last-minute issues that could arise even after the announcement.

"When you think of wanting to build a brand for the next 90 years or more, you don't want to be boxed in," said Amina Bulman, Washington's senior vice president of corporate affairs and strategy. "You want to have room for your brand to grow and develop and not feel that around every corner you bump up with another team, whether that's on the logo or on a song or on a [marketing] campaign."

Wright said one difficult part was trying to marry the opinions of those on social media with those who aren't.

"You got very different perspectives on the mail-in set of fans than you do on Twitter poll set of fans," he said. "Very different perspectives."

Another factor: There was already a Timberwolves in the NBA, and Arkansas State is known as the Red Wolves. Washington wanted to be unique and own its brand, not worrying about any potential future conflict if it decided to alter the logo or design in any way.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mhd24 said:

There's got to be. something with Bienemy.  Wasn't the new Chicago GM with him in KC?  Why didn't he hire him?  There has to be some baggage maybe?  I do know that Reid calls that offense.  I don't think he delegates anything.

Kevin O'Connell is going to get the Vikings job. He doesn't call plays right now. Nathaniel Hackett got the Broncos job. He didn't call plays in Green Bay.

9 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Culley was great last year should be a head coach. Bienemy has some background issues from the report I have seen 

He has background issues from 20 years ago, mostly from when he was a kid.

And they aren't good. But people can be rehabilitated. I don't believe in canceling someone for things they did 20 years ago for most reasons.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He explained it IMO well on 106.7, here's the ESPN version.   Wright doesn't seem to the type that would just go aganst fan sentiment for kicks and giggles.  The best move they could make is to run with the most popular move.  Red wolves judging by talk radio had rabid fans and rabid haters though too.  So I think they were in a no win situation no matter what name they choose.  Sheehan among others led the dance that Red Wolves sounded like a kids team.  Personally I liked it but it certaintly wasn't universally loved that much I could tell. 

I have to disagree here that they were in a no win situation.

The trademark issue is a very valid one. That's not debatable at all. So I can understand the point of not going Wolves/Redwolves. That's ok.

Still going from Redwolves to Commanders is quite a stretch name wise and they kept on putting themselves into trouble.

Ron Rivera liked military them? Ok let's please him.

Jason Wright wanted a to connect it to WFT and soccer? OK, let's please him.

Put DC somewhere in it? OK, let's please the town.

Not offensive to anyone? OK let's do that!

Some wants black? OK let's add it!

At this point, which is kinda casual nowadays, trying to please every one you end up with something that is quite flat and please noone. That's exactly the type of situation where more is worse than less.

IMHO, they failed with the name by not taking into account what Redwolves could mean, fight as a pack, aggressive (in a sports way of course), mean, dangerous... Commanders doesn't check those. They could have comed up with something checking thoses cases and somehow please the fans, even if that was not their first choice, and they would have been smart with it.

Obviously, backlash and criticism from fans was a given as you're not gonna please everyone. But if your alumns are telling you they hate the name, that should be a NO GO for you.

Just like the logo, if they didn't got the fact that fans were taking pride to having one of the coolest logo in the NFL to go to something as simple than a W, they should have never worked in this rebrand because they clearly have no clue. Even going Commanders they could have come out with a freaking better logo (like a mean Hog with a helmet and Commander grade on him for example) that could have been a slamdunk for most.

Fact is they've done a crappy job all around it trying to please everyone but their fans.

They went with the name because they want to Take command and command respect.

Well roundtable is here for ya today to remind everyone how respectable this franchise has been since Snyder bought the team...

And we're not talking expired peanuts here, which was kinda shameful and tells you all you need to know about Dan.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I have to disagree here that they were in a no win situation.

The trademark issue is a very valid one. That's not debatable at all. So I can understand the point of not going Wolves/Redwolves. That's ok.

Still going from Redwolves to Commanders is quite a stretch name wise and they kept on putting themselves into trouble.

Ron Rivera liked military them? Ok let's please him.

Jason Wright wanted a to connect it to WFT and soccer? OK, let's please him.

Put DC somewhere in it? OK, let's please the town.

Not offensive to anyone? OK let's do that!

Some wants black? OK let's add it!

At this point, which is kinda casual nowadays, trying to please every one you end up with something that is quite flat and please noone. That's exactly the type of situation where more is worse than less.

IMHO, they failed with the name by not taking into account what Redwolves could mean, fight as a pack, aggressive (in a sports way of course), mean, dangerous... Commanders doesn't check those. They could have comed up with something checking thoses cases and somehow please the fans, even if that was not their first choice, and they would have been smart with it.

I lived in DC for a spell.  If you left me to choose what I'd want, i'd want something that represented the city somehow.  Red Wolves doesn't do that.  As a dude who loves dogs, I dig the name, but for that reason alone.  It's not because i embrace some spirit of the word where I'd want whatever name to capture the sprit of Wolves.  But that's me.  Everyone's boat is pleased differently.

I lked Commanders over some of the other names mentioned. 

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I lived in DC for a spell.  If you left me to choose what I'd want, i'd want something that represented the city somehow.  Red Wolves doesn't do that.  As a dude who loves dogs, I dig the name, but for that reason alone.  It's not because i embrace some spirit of the word where I'd want whatever name to capture the sprit of Wolves.  But that's me.  Everyone's boat is pleased differently.

I lked Commanders over some of the other names mentioned. 

Problem with Commanders is mostly how it's shorten han the name itself. I don't find it that bad myself as some around here, it just seems to far away from what was wanted to me. If the most popular name was soldiers and they camed out with commanders, I would be fine with it. But that's not the case in this situation.

They didn't want to make choices and tried to please everyone all at once, and the whole result is just "meh". At some point they should have made choices they didn't made. I get the point of representing the town, I can understand that easily. I'm not sure Commanders represents DC well (and Redwolves weren't at all, I agree, nor Redskins were in any way too), but that's just my take. And there may be other ways to represent the city than with the name. (Maybe on the logo?).

Everything they put into the pot clearly doesn't match up well and that's where they mess it up big time.

Also I'm getting fed up with their lies about almost everything. Pick your choices, do your job, and live with it. With all the backlash from yesterday you can expect Jason Wright to come uncovered by 2k23...

20 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Groundhogs/Warthogs/Hogs would have been a better animal choice.  Ties to our past.  

Groundhog sucks quite a bit. Wathogs would have been fun but coming coming completly out of nowhere, and Hogs should have been the one that got everyone on board. RedHogs, as Redwolves would have been forcing the "Red" into the name.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Problem with Commanders is mostly how it's shorten han the name itself.

you can come up with a different shortened name that doesn't play off of cutting that specific name short. Some other teams do that.  Personally I can care less.  But for those who do, we can find our own version of turning the Giants to Big Blue of whatever the heck comes out of this.  

If the most popular name was soldiers and they camed out with commanders, I would be fine with it. But that's not the case in this situation.

They did a zillion focus groups including with almuni and players.  And yeah even on twitter which can be nasty it came out that some players indeed did like the name.  It was mixed. 

I am in the business where my work environment involves social media. As for feedback related to it, everything sucks, cyncism on steroids, its almost 90% negative on social media.  That's what gets clicks.  People vent.  It's just how it is. 

We also do focus groups, polls, etc.  Like Jason Wright said the world can feel different sentiment wise on twitter versus outside of twitter.

Everything they put into the pot clearly doesn't match up well and that's where they mess it up big time.

I was just reading about how many Ravens fans were outraged at the time about that name when it came out.   Somehow I doubt joy hit the streets when Buffalo were named the Bills or Chicago with the White Socks or a slew of other names.

If I thought like you do that the Red Wolves weren't purely about the name but the spirit of the animal and that's what fans rallied about the name -- yeah I agreed they screwed up.  Personally from living in DC years back and visting every year for decades, I don't see that as a rallying cry for the city.   This isn't Montana.  I think Red Wolves are cool -- dog team -- love that Red is kept.  Otherwise, there is really nothing about it that speaks DC to me.  But that's me.  

I just don't buy that Jason, graduate from Business School at Northwestern was just a dud while listening to feedback from focus groups.  I've sat through focus groups, you don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to discipher feedback from it.   He said among the names tried out it was one of the bigger growers when you let it sit with people.  I believe that since it worked that way for me.  Again obviously I am just one person but it hits me intuitively for that reason. 

But more on point, it would be business suicide for them to spend millions on focus groups and research and then just blow off their findings.  

With all the backlash from yesterday you can expect Jason Wright to come uncovered by 2k23...

I bet we will ultimately get rid of him.  And bring back the next Bruce-Vinny that Dan craves to have in the building anyway. 

It's ironic all the grief just about every hire Dan has had. The thing is when you are working for a domineering boss, that boss tends to neuter your work, it just comes with the turf.  

I am sympathetic to dudes like Jason for reasons I expressed before.  I don't feel like repeating it today.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He explained it IMO well on 106.7, here's the ESPN version.   Wright doesn't seem to the type that would just go against fan sentiment for kicks and giggles.  The best move they could make is to run with the most popular move.  Red wolves judging by talk radio had rabid fans and rabid haters though too.  So I think they were in a no win situation no matter what name they choose.  Sheehan among others led the dance that Red Wolves sounded like a kids team.  Personally I liked it but it certainly wasn't universally loved that much I could tell. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33198434/washington-commanders-nfl-franchise-search-new-nickname-logo

But just to reach this point, starting shortly after he was hired in August 2020, Wright and his team had to sift through 40,000 submissions by fans that led to 1,200 name ideas. They received one from a 6-year-old in Alaska, another from a great-grandmother whose family had watched every game for decades. Then, in April, Wright sent a letter to fans asking for their input on 30 names.

The group scoured the internet daily, gauging fan interest. Group members had dozens of one-on-one sessions with fans. They performed quantitative and qualitative surveys. They did design research. They cold-called fans. Because so many involved in the process were new to the organization, they said the goal was to understand which name resonated most with fans.

In September, the team purchased a handful of domains and trademarks of names they knew would be finalists, including Commanders. They wanted to limit, or beat, trademark squatters. Still, they ended up buying a handful of names from squatters.

By this point, the franchise had close to a dozen fully designed brands covering the finalists. Each one had a logo, a wordmark, a manifesto, its own typeface and font and apparel and gear.

Among the names they researched heavily: The Washington, D.C. Football Club and the RedWolves. There were problems with both. The DCFC was heavily considered, and they even designed logos. They wanted to play off the temporary Football Team name. But during the trademark search, they discovered there was a professional soccer team in Michigan called the Detroit City Football Club -- DCFC -- that had the colors burgundy and gold, same as Washington.

"If we had gone with that without doing that check, not only the name would have been in jeopardy but the burgundy and gold would have been in jeopardy," Wright said. "They could have said we own the brand and the colors, you have to change both your name and the colors. That would have been the ultimate disaster."

With the RedWolves, a popular choice on social media, they kept running into roadblocks. Every time they would design a wolf logo, the trademark lawyers -- internal and external -- would warn of issues. Often it was because the logo looked too much like others already in use. Sometimes the angle of the profile was too close to another. Finding a way to make it distinct became difficult.

They did not want a situation like the Cleveland Guardians baseball team, which announced its name change last July and soon became embroiled in a lawsuit -- since settled -- with a roller derby team in the city that used the same name. That situation led Wright to fret over last-minute issues that could arise even after the announcement.

"When you think of wanting to build a brand for the next 90 years or more, you don't want to be boxed in," said Amina Bulman, Washington's senior vice president of corporate affairs and strategy. "You want to have room for your brand to grow and develop and not feel that around every corner you bump up with another team, whether that's on the logo or on a song or on a [marketing] campaign."

Wright said one difficult part was trying to marry the opinions of those on social media with those who aren't.

"You got very different perspectives on the mail-in set of fans than you do on Twitter poll set of fans," he said. "Very different perspectives."

Another factor: There was already a Timberwolves in the NBA, and Arkansas State is known as the Red Wolves. Washington wanted to be unique and own its brand, not worrying about any potential future conflict if it decided to alter the logo or design in any way.

Thanks for posting this. It gives me a better feeling for the process. And it makes logical sense. Red Tails and Red Wolves would not have been my choice any more or less than Commanders. I really do not like any of the names with Hogs in them. But that is a personal choice. And had they chosen them I would have been Ok with it as over time it will not be as important and most importantly there is literally nothing I can do to change it. .  

The fairest point by Wright is that there was a massive difference between online sentiment and those not on social media. In fairness I had never even thought of that. But it makes sense. I think they missed an opportunity in letting people know during the process the steps they were taking. Had they let people know thier steps, even with a lag many people would not be as critical of them. The way they revealed this looked from the outside like they asked a few people some questions, then last month said - well **** it we like this one. And as always the way they did the actual announcement was not fan friendly. They could have done it at FedEx. Invite fans for free including free parking. So it only costs if you buy food or something. 

There is only one name I really like and we can't use it (no attempt to open that discussion. Just stating a fact. It's done period.). So I was destined to be meh on any other name. It's just not that important to me. I am more concerned about the product on the field and when/if danny can be removed. 

The main thing Wright is right about is no matter what name they picked there were going to be some people not happy. At some point you just have to make a call and live with it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But more on point, it would be business suicide for them to spend millions on focus groups and research and then just blow off their findings.  

Is it really that far fetched? Dan was out there yesterday in slept in khakis that hadn't seen an iron in 5 years. Would that really be shocking?

Also, Jason is a fall guy. I don't believe anything he says but I don't think it's actually him making these decisions. I think he's the mouth piece.

I actually thought it was a bit of a gesture that he passed it off to Doug for Doug to say, "We the Commanders". 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I bet we will ultimately get rid of him.  And bring back the next Bruce-Vinny that Dan craves to have in the building anyway. 

It's ironic all the grief just about every hire Dan has had. The thing is when you are working for a domineering boss, that boss tends to neuter your work, it just comes with the turf.  

100% agree on the first.

And Dan selling the team will be the only thing that will get us on the same page.

11 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

The main thing Wright is right about is no matter what name they picked there were going to be some people not happy. At some point you just have to make a call and live with it. 

That was for sure that you couldn't have everybody happy.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Thanks for posting this. It gives me a better feeling for the process. And it makes logical sense. Red Tails and Red Wolves would not have been my choice any more or less than Commanders. I really do not like any of the names with Hogs in them. But that is a personal choice. And had they chosen them I would have been Ok with it as over time it will not be as important and most importantly there is literally nothing I can do to change it. .  

The fairest point by Wright is that there was a massive difference between online sentiment and those not on social media. In fairness I had never even thought of that. But it makes sense. I think they missed an opportunity in letting people know during the process the steps they were taking. Had they let people know thier steps, even with a lag many people would not be as critical of them. The way they revealed this looked from the outside like they asked a few people some questions, then last month said - well **** it we like this one. And as always the way they did the actual announcement was not fan friendly. They could have done it at FedEx. Invite fans for free including free parking. So it only costs if you buy food or something. 

There is only one name I really like and we can't use it (no attempt to open that discussion. Just stating a fact. It's done period.). So I was destined to be meh on any other name. It's just not that important to me. I am more concerned about the product on the field and when/if danny can be removed. 

Wright is going on 980 at 8 am for those interested and Sheehan seems geared up to ask tough questions.

lol, I get the passion for Red Wolves.  But as a dude who listens to talk radio on all day just about, I know there was some passion against the name too.  I don't think there was a killer name that everyone liked.  And I would bet if all the NFL teams rebranded back with the same names they had now, pretending they never had them. most of them would get a decent portion of bad PR from fans about them.  But it seems like a silly thought because the names are now so embedded with them that they fit. 

As far as the other stuff.  You got some who wanted the annoucement understated because it was a sad day for them or for others they thought it would look silly when everyone knew about it post leak.  Then others like Grant-Danny 106.7 went on and on and on yesterday about how little of a splash they did and bombed this for that reason -- have a dude jump from a plane or something wild to build it up.

For me, I just didn't care about the build up.   I actually like 2 out of the three unforms a lot and I know i am not the only one who feels that way.  The name I am neutral about, don't love it, don't hate it.  But I do notice people cling to things that match their feelings about things.  And look I don't blame them, we all do that.   And there is plenty to find to match our feelings especially on social media.

I noticed some of the players thought the jerseys were dope, fans, too.  I saw the ones who hated it.  Jonathan Allen said the players were mixed on the name, about half liked it, half didn't.   but on the other hand i can cling to Charles Mann comment which was more negative.  Allen or Mann though didn't say they rallied behind a different name.

In short, I think there is plenty mixed sentiment in the sauce if you look closely.  Twitter tends to be more negative on everything, not just this team.  So I take that with a grain of salt.  Part of my job is to gauge people's sentiment and I or for that matter none of my colleagues go well based on facebook and twitter here's the the pulse of people on such and such. 

But every point of view is valid.  We are fans.  So if the name sucks to so and so, that's valid for them.  For me I am OK with everything, some aspects of what they did I like, some I don't.  But I really didn't care a whole lot.

What I care about is the stadium and go get a QB.  :ols:

Finally, the launch. Cleveland announced its name change by posting a three-minute video to its Twitter account on a Friday morning in July. Washington rolled out its name and uniform reveal on the "Today" show and held a media gathering at its stadium, where merchandise is available.

"We know no matter what the name, it would not be unanimously celebrated," Wright said. "We felt the franchise and fan base deserved a momentous rollout."

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Is it really that far fetched? Dan was out there yesterday in slept in khakis that hadn't seen an iron in 5 years. Would that really be shocking?

Also, Jason is a fall guy. I don't believe anything he says but I don't think it's actually him making these decisions. I think he's the mouth piece.

I actually thought it was a bit of a gesture that he passed it off to Doug for Doug to say, "We the Commanders". 

I've sat through many focus groups they aren't that complex.  Yeah Dan is stupid but you'd have to be beyond stupid to listen to people trash a name, love another name universally and go hey you know what lets bomb this whole thing and challenge this rebranding.  Though nothing is impossible.

I talked about this with you in a different context when it came to QBs, where you talked about the negativty with this fan base about the spot, lack of patience, etc.  My point was yeah that's true but if you follow beat reporters from other teams which I do, just about every fan base (without that elite guy) is very negative about the QB spot, the glass is half empty to them.  They are cynical as heck.  Twitter and Facebook is nasty when it comes to feedback. :ols:  It's a venue to vent for many. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've sat through many focus groups they aren't that complex.  Yeah Dan is stupid but you'd have to be beyond stupid to listen to people trash a name, love another name universally and go hey you know what lets bomb this whole thing and challenge this rebranding.  Though nothing is impossible.

I talked about this with you in a different context when it came to QBs, where you talked about the negativty with this fan base about the spot, lack of patience, etc.  My point was yeah that's true but if you follow beat reporters from other teams which I do, just about every fan base (without that elite guy) is very negative about the QB spot, the glass is half empty to them.  They are cynical as heck.  Twitter and Facebook is nasty when it comes to feedback. :ols:  It's a venue to vent for many. 

I see eye to eye with you a lot. But this is a place where you and I diverge. And that's okay. We're all different.

• Like 1

I think one big problem with Commanders is the military affiliation. First of all, I will admit that I don't really like anything related to military. As a German, we have a really complicated relationship with our own military for obvious reasons. So that might be a personal thing foremost. However, many people in Europe find the fascination US people have with their military a bit awkward. A lot of my friends (who know that I am a Washington fan) texted me and not a single one liked the name. Most though it was awkward.

Now obviously this is a US franchise, it represents the US capital, people from the US care a lot about their military - I get all that. But with the NFL pushing hard for internationalization, bringing more and more games to Europe (and other continents for that matter), I just don't see the name creating a lot of excitement over here. People just don't like that. And I feel like the younger generation in the US is more and more going into that direction as well.

The name itself will be fine 2-3 years down the road. No one will care much about it. But if they go through with all that military stuff, I am not sure how much that will resonate with younger fans and people from abroad. It just doesn't feel like a forward thinking theme to me. It feels more like people in their 60s deciding on what they think is a cool theme based on their own perception.

Maybe I am wrong. But yeah, I find it awkward.

• Thanks 2

I listened to Wright just now.  This is the 2nd time he explained the white uniform and that the color is burgundy.   He said the NFL doesn't allow to change the main color.  This time I get it.  It's burgundy, same one as the home uniform as he explained, but a gradient of it, which makes it look cranberry. It's the white in the gradient that makes the color look different.  The reason why they have black in it is the NFL doesn't allow alternate unforms that doesn't have that color in the mix of either the home or road uniform. 

I've read in a few places that Nike's designers were heavily involved in the mix, if so I gather they were trying to look cool with the gradient.  I saw somewhere that its the first gradient in an NFL jersey.  I get it to an extent.  But IMHO there is too much white in that gradient.  Gradients can look better IMHO when it starts with the pure color and then it fades down lighter versus the way they did it.

Thinking about my own experience with focus groups.   The main goal is to generate a theme.  I know some think Wright is full of crap and making this stuff up.  But if I am taking him at his word, which I do.  

A.  He said the feedback he got from many is to keep to a theme that carries the warpath part of the team.  He talked about how Warriors was considered but Native Americans balked at it, among other things.

B.  As for the complaints that it was a safe and non sexy name.   That could be part of a focus group find, too.  Do they want a name that causes them to lose fans or piss people off?  So somewhat of the safe aspect of the name could have been on purpose and might not be so wrong headed. 

Sheehan who actually was a bit edgy initially with his questions to Wright, talking up about how he knows Wright is a good guy and very bright.  He comes off that way to me too.  I gather not so for some here.  i want people who are smart and good guys representing this team.  I am not expecting them to get everything right.  Also, if we got rid of him, i think there is a much better chance that a smug, dumb toady like Cerrato or Bruce type would replace him which is a big No Thank you for me.  

• Thanks 1

It’s weird to me that people think the backlash to things lately will eventually get Wright fired, or should. He’s doing what Snyder pays him to do, be the mouthpiece and eat the ****. There’s no reason to think they aren’t both happy with the arrangement, it’s the job he was hired to do. I keep saying this but regardless of how prestigious it is, anyone who rose up the ranks at McKinsey is flexible at best in the morals department, and that’s the absolute kindest way I can say it. It’s only the fans who believed the spiel after he was hired for some reason who thought he was their voice in Snyder’s ear. It’s the other way around, he’s Snyder’s voice in your ear. You wanting him fired for these things or thinking he has any agency at all are playing right into Snyder’s hands. He’s taking your bullets, he’s the ownership’s bullet proof vest. 

• Like 2

Regarding the tweets from last night with details from Tiffani and Denise: i told my dad about the alleged groping/inviting the former cheerleader into his limo. 

I’ve shared a few times over the years my dads job, not in much detail. He was the general council for Snyder for 6 seasons (2005-2011). He was in Snyders suite for every home game, plus for like 6 hours after each game too, and he says he never saw Snyder once put his hand on any woman (he did say that anything could’ve happened while he was out of the suite at a moment, but from his experiences, he never saw anything happen that Snyder is accused of —and my dad HATES Snyder, always talks about how crappy of a boss he was to work for, ETC).

Just wanted to share that conversation for some context. 

i do know this much: Snyder has for sure killed the fanbase and needs to be removed. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

There is no defense for the white jersey to look like a different color of burgundy.

I believe Wright that it is the same color and that the NFL doesn't allow that change.

But it's simply not acceptable to SEE that jersey and think their choices are good. There's a reason that gradient is the first of its kind in the NFL. It sucks.

As far as the uniforms go... that's my only real complaint. The white jersey is awful in my eyes. It's a poor excuse to try to be cool and hip and it comes across like an Arena team or a variant of the Cardinals uniforms.

Fix the white jersey and the uniforms are fine.

I'd like the pants to have something on them as well. They are too youth/JV looking at the moment. But that's a smaller issue in my eyes. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1