Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

9 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

The piece of sad news that the media has been talking about since Sunday night is Alex Santos/Richard Mann, and them being fired for non-football related reasons. Yet people on here keep guessing “Rivera being fired??? Kyle Smith being fired??? Something about Alex Smith??? JDR being fired???”. Are any of those names ALEX SANTOS or RICHARD MANN? No? Then no, it is not about any of those other names people have been spewing around 

Couple of things, I mean all those things are/were more than possible in my opinion. So speculating about those isn’t that absurd.

Plus the firing of Santos/Mann wasn’t deemed ‘sad’ right at the start. The introduction of sad/disappointing certainly implied something else was going on IMO.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

You said "22 seasons of 8 wins or more in 26." Your "8 wins or more" is the same as my "8+ wins" lol...I'm not sure what you were correcting me on.

You are correct but I reiterated that since it was since 1999, it’s 17/21 (96-98 were all bad years for Baltimore).

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Can I just say the beat guys are getting all lathered up for something I think most fans are going to greet with, “gee wiz, bad stuff happened in a bad organization? I’m dying of not surprise.”

unless there is significant jail time involved, I just don’t see anything with Santos and Mann being all that earth shattering.  I could be wrong.  I hope I’m not.

My honest opinion? I think one or both of those guys were responsible for some team leaks. Now nobody has a source that they can get inside information from anymore. This is why the local people can't spill the beans because there's nobody left that will do it lol. Obviously they weren't fired because they were leaking information, but I do think that it's possible one of those two guys put more information out than they should have to the local guys. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

The only interesting part of this, as yet unnamed incident, is whether this and not the name was why Fred Smith and the other owners wanted to either buy Snyder out or get out of Dodge. If it was that bad then the question becomes is it bad enough that the league forces an ownership change.

If that happens, ironically, Snyder will be technically a man of his word and he will never have changed the name of the Redskins

• Like 3

I definitely think there is an element of kicking someone when they are down here. I’m sure there is an element of opportunistic piling on. No doubts we’ll have some deep rooted issues though. I’d wager we aren’t the only one in the NFL. A few curtains might be twitching from distant onlookers elsewhere in the league.

Although how this story unfolds is going to be very interesting. I don’t think we’ll have many long standing employees left in the organisation soon. Where does the cull end once you start. Cull employees, management should also be held accountable. 

Similar to the whole name change situation, bring out your dead. Clear the decks and start over. Let the deep clean continue. 

We might get a clear run at talking football in 2021. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The only interesting part of this, as yet unnamed incident, is whether this and not the name was why Fred Smith and the other owners wanted to either buy Snyder out or get out of Dodge. If it was that bad then the question becomes is it bad enough that the league forces an ownership change.

If that happens, ironically, Snyder will be technically a man of his word and he will never have changed the name of the Redskins

I been trying to figure out Snyder’s mindset.  One hand you have all the money you need and could leave as the last Redskins owner.  On the other hand you could be the owner to usher a new era of Washington football while being the last owner of the Redskins but that means doing what you said you’d never do.  Snyder could leave as the hated owner that fought for the Redskins name or he could one day be remember as beloved owner of the rebranded team team should they start becoming a contender.

6 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I been trying to figure out Snyder’s mindset.  One hand you have all the money you need and could leave as the last Redskins owner.  On the other hand you could be the owner to usher a new era of Washington football while being the last owner of the Redskins but that means doing what you said you’d never do.  Snyder could leave as the hated owner that fought for the Redskins name or he could one day be remember as beloved owner of the rebranded team team should they start becoming a contender.

One thing I've considered is that Snyder might feel he needs the Redskins. Partly because it gives him an identity, but also because Snyder is just a bad businessman. Look at Johnny Rockets, Look at Six Flags, etc. The Redskins might be the only Snyder venture that is making him money... and it's really only making him money because of revenue sharing. Otherwise, he's messed that up too.

Now, on paper they say he's a billionaire so he shouldn't ever need to make another dime to live as he likes and for his children to live as they like, but who knows what the reality is?

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

One thing I've considered is that Snyder might feel he needs the Redskins. Partly because it gives him an identity, but also because Snyder is just a bad businessman. Look at Johnny Rockets, Look at Six Flags, etc. The Redskins might be the only Snyder venture that is making him money... and it's really only making him money because of revenue sharing. Otherwise, he's messed that up too.

Now, on paper they say he's a billionaire so he shouldn't ever need to make another dime to live as he likes and for his children to live as they like, but who knows what the reality is?

I think based on purchases of a yacht the size of a planet he’s quite comfortable.  I highly doubt he’s counting his pennies.  

I think the biggest change is that we saw a young wealthy enthusiastic owner desperate to make the Redskins a winner on his watch start to absorb how hard it was while also battling the idea of having have others make it happen.  He thought if I just throw money at it that should fix this.  He wanted to be the savior of this team.  He wanted that legacy.  He didn’t want to be the guy sitting there writing some checks.  He wanted to feel like one of the folks really in the team.  Funny thing is if he had taken that role of signing checks and we had success he’d be praised for staying out of the way and letting his folks get the job done. Hard to say if it’s too late to fix the view of him 20 years later but if he truly backs away he has a shot. 

26 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I definitely think there is an element of kicking someone when they are down here. I’m sure there is an element of opportunistic piling on.

When has Snyder not  done that? That’s why part of me thinks this is going to wind up being something we’ve already known. Danny piles up on his people, the media piles up on Danny and so this goes until he either dies or sells the team. The guy is the common denominator for foolishness.

14 minutes ago, Burgold said:

and it's really only making him money because of revenue sharing

This is not true, maybe I'm nit picking your response but as bad as this franchise has been we have been subsidizing the league for years.  This team has always been one of the most profitable.

No doubt this team is underperforming on and off the field which is why you probably hear that the rest of the owners are done with Snyder.  

This team is not living off the revenue of other teams, it's the opposite.

9 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

This is not true, maybe I'm nit picking your response but as bad as this franchise has been we have been subsidizing the league for years.  This team has always been one of the most profitable.

No doubt this team is underperforming on and off the field which is why you probably hear that the rest of the owners are done with Snyder.  

This team is not living off the revenue of other teams, it's the opposite.

True.

But the arrow is starting to point the other way or at least level off.  I posted an article on another thread that showed if I recall the Redskins showed the least growth among several measures business wise among NFL teams.   Local ratings are starting to slip.  We don't sell jerseys like other teams do.   We aren't filling the stadium.

The NFL clearly doesn't see us as a NFL TV ratings draw anymore.  Years back even when we stunk we'd get typically at least 3 prime time games.  It's been years since we got a Sunday Night game.  That's the prime NFL ratings real estate game.  This year we got zero prime time games.

I think Dan being a cash cow might becoming passe soon at least relative to other teams. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

No one will giving a damn if Snyder keeps his word.  HIs ownership track record speaks for itself.  His grade as an owner is a F. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I posted an article on another thread that showed if I recall the Redskins showed the least growth among several measures business wise among NFL teams.

No doubt but did you see who had the 2nd lowest growth in that period?  It was the Cowboys, point is some businesses are at the top of the curve for growth potential and some have tremendous upside (smaller markets).

Dans a mess, cant argue with that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

A common trait amongst successful businessmen is that they assume that level of success will translate into any venture they undertake. "I made billions in trading frozen concentrated orange juice, therefore I will be the most successful NFL owner in history."

When it doesn't work out, these people take it personally, even though they rarely accept the majority of the blame themselves. This about Snyder's ego, not the team. He would like to be successful and loved, he would be comfortable with being successful but hated, but what he can't abide is being a complete failure as an NFL owner. The easiest route for success has always been for him to step back and stay back, but that misses the entire point of him buying the team.

So  my best guess is right now he feels trapped. He can't walk away without being branded a failure, but he can't figure out how to be successful and get most of the credit. He's being forced to change the name, the press coverage remains unremittingly hostile, and the fans are staying away. And yet, there's a voice in his head telling him "Just one more year, Dan, and you'll turn it all around."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

A common trait amongst successful businessmen is that they assume that level of success will translate into any venture they undertake. "I made billions in trading frozen concentrated orange juice, therefore I will be the most successful NFL owner in history."

When it doesn't work out, these people take it personally, even though they rarely accept the majority of the blame themselves. This about Snyder's ego, not the team. He would like to be successful and loved, he would be comfortable with being successful but hated, but what he can't abide is being a complete failure as an NFL owner. The easiest route for success has always been for him to step back and stay back, but that misses the entire point of him buying the team.

So  my best guess is right now he feels trapped. He can't walk away without being branded a failure, but he can't figure out how to be successful and get most of the credit. He's being forced to change the name, the press coverage remains unremittingly hostile, and the fans are staying away. And yet, there's a voice in his head telling him "Just one more year, Dan, and you'll turn it all around."

If he wants to feel involved and just throw money at the problem he should buy a soccer team.  Literally that’s how you win.  Multiple teams especially England just throw around disgusting levels of money every summer to buy a winning team.   Basically no salary cap.  The only rule that was in place to stop teams from spending ridiculously was proved to be all a show when a team that’s spent like a billion over 3 years was cleared of wrongdoing the other day.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

When has Snyder not  done that? That’s why part of me thinks this is going to wind up being something we’ve already known. Danny piles up on his people, the media piles up on Danny and so this goes until he either dies or sells the team. The guy is the common denominator for foolishness.

I was referring to the media in that instance, I think they are piling on over the top now the door has been kicked down. It’s close to being a media free for all, only being held back due the potential for them to say something unduly liable at present.

but yes, that is also a trait of Danny Boy too. 

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

True.

But the arrow is starting to point the other way or at least level off.  I posted an article on another thread that showed if I recall the Redskins showed the least growth among several measures business wise among NFL teams.   Local ratings are starting to slip.  We don't sell jerseys like other teams do.   We aren't filling the stadium.

Ironically I think this timing is great for Snyder. He’s going to make a whole load of money from this renaming-rebranding exercise.....if he does it correctly that is.....:kickcan:

25 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

No doubt but did you see who had the 2nd lowest growth in that period?  It was the Cowboys, point is some businesses are at the top of the curve for growth potential and some have tremendous upside (smaller markets).

Dans a mess, cant argue with that.

I can see that. 

Cowboys though sadly don't seem like a broken franchise.  We used to be neck and neck with them as for value, now they've surpassed us by a mile.  And we keep slipping down the rankings, wouldn't shock me if we slip out of the top 10.

I used to think in spite of his faults, Dan was good with marketing and knew how to keep this team relevant in spite of the losing.   That's gone out the window in recent years, in my view.

I think Dan desperately needs to pull off some type of coup with the stadium.  And hopefully Rivera wins quickly. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

As others have said, maybe this is why the minority owners want to sell their shares of the team.

If it was just the name I could understand advertisers threatening or pulling out but for minority owners to want to sell their shares in a team you would think it would have to be something greater than just the name.

If it’s the cheerleader story then we know part of it but does this  mnow involve some sort of trafficking or forced assault.

The continued use of the word culture ever since Ron took over, the minority owners wanting to sell their stake in the team and the sudden name change situation lleads you to believe this could in fact be something major.

Edited by dyst

Must be hard a shizzz to nail down confirmation on this story. Somebody on twitter was saying the WaPo has the exclusive and that's what's holding it back.

I don't care what the reason is. Can't remember anything like hearing this stuff for days where it's so awful, but what it IS hasn't been leaked.

10 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Wasn't the cheerleader incident a couple years ago? I completely forgot about it how does it take so many years to settle something

I feel it's something bigger--I am slightly hopeful this is the nail in Snyder's coffin

• Like 5