Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

6 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Well, they might want to be a little more selective. It's not like this same dude hadn't asked the same exact question multiple times before and it seems that is the only thing he comes up with each time.

How many times do they let the guy in who basically says "nobody in the league wants you, you've been **** canned by 2 teams in 2 years, and this is your last chance to be a starter in the NFL. What do you think about that?"

So, I hear all that.  

However.  I'm going to give you two scenarios, and my prediction of your response to both of them:

1. They turn down/don't grant Scott from ABC7 the 1:1 access he is requesting.  This news gets out. Because it will, because ABC7 will make damn sure it gets out the team is not granting 1:1 interviews with their guy who asks tough questions.  It would be "leaked" to somebody like Florio or Sheehan, somebody who would LOVE to run with that story for days.  On the previous page, @TD_washingtonredskins ALREADY has posted basically, "here we go again, the team not providing access to people they don't like."   

I am willing to bet that if they turned down the interview request, the news came out (which, again, ABC7 would make DAMN SURE it did), you would call it a "clown show," that Dan and Jason are too sensitive, they are once again trying to control the narrative just like they did when they tried to buy up all the local media outlets. We already know at least one poster would have reacted in that exact way, because, well, he already did.  

2. The media relations group could have suggested to Scott that he "tone it down" a bit.  (Which, honestly, they might have done, we don't know.)  Scott would not have liked that, because it's pretty clear he's trying to be part of the story.  The question has been asked and answered at least 20 times, so by asking it again in such a direct way, there's no question he's trying to get himself on TV.  Which is odd, because his job is ON TV.  But whatever.  His objective was not to get the answer to the question he's already asked twice, it was to get a reaction from Wentz with him sitting next to him.  

So, the Commander's Media Relations team says, "these topics are off-limits because you've already asked them in a rather direct way."  Scott/ABC7 could do one of 2 things:

1. Ignore it.  And ask it anyway, because once it's on "film" it's theirs.  

2. "Leak" to Sheehan or Florio that the team is trying to control the questions which are being asked by the media in order to control the narrative.

3. I don't think they would just go with it, but they could have just gone with it.  I actually believe since the Commander's media relations people are not idiots (they're not), they probably DID try and control the situation a bit.

So, if Option 1 takes place, then Jason Wright flies off the handle like he did, and you criticize him for responding. Which you have done.   

If Option 2 takes place, then see above, you all crush them for trying to control the narrative.

There is literally no way they could do ANYTHING under the circumstances where the people who are going to bash them no matter what aren't going to bash them.  Literally nothing.  The only thing Wright could have done is do absolutely nothing.  But THAT I would argue would be bad also from an "inside the building" perspective.  

So, pick your poison.  I like that Wright just decided to stand up for his guys.  The group of people who are going to find fault with absolutely everything will find fault with it.  

The people who look at it rationally will see he might have gone overboard, as Bram said, "pushed the accelerator a little bit hard" but understand what's going on and why it's happening.

Look, they made the bed they are lying in.  And I grant that.  And point of fact, THEY didn't make the bed, Dan, Larry, and a bunch of other douche bags made the bed 20 years ago.  But Jason, Ron and company have to lie in the bed.  It's given the local media license to be complete dicks at times, and then get defensive when anybody questions them being dicks. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, I hear all that.  

However.  I'm going to give you two scenarios, and my prediction of your response to both of them:

1. They turn down/don't grant Scott from ABC7 the 1:1 access he is requesting.  This news gets out. Because it will, because ABC7 will make damn sure it gets out the team is not granting 1:1 interviews with their guy who asks tough questions.  It would be "leaked" to somebody like Florio or Sheehan, somebody who would LOVE to run with that story for days.  On the previous page, @TD_washingtonredskins ALREADY has posted basically, "here we go again, the team not providing access to people they don't like."   

I am willing to bet that if they turned down the interview request, the news came out (which, again, ABC7 would make DAMN SURE it did), you would call it a "clown show," that Dan and Jason are too sensitive, they are once again trying to control the narrative just like they did when they tried to buy up all the local media outlets. We already know at least one poster would have reacted in that exact way, because, well, he already did.  

2. The media relations group could have suggested to Scott that he "tone it down" a bit.  (Which, honestly, they might have done, we don't know.)  Scott would not have liked that, because it's pretty clear he's trying to be part of the story.  The question has been asked and answered at least 20 times, so by asking it again in such a direct way, there's no question he's trying to get himself on TV.  Which is odd, because his job is ON TV.  But whatever.  His objective was not to get the answer to the question he's already asked twice, it was to get a reaction from Wentz with him sitting next to him.  

So, the Commander's Media Relations team says, "these topics are off-limits because you've already asked them in a rather direct way."  Scott/ABC7 could do one of 2 things:

1. Ignore it.  And ask it anyway, because once it's on "film" it's theirs.  

2. "Leak" to Sheehan or Florio that the team is trying to control the questions which are being asked by the media in order to control the narrative.

3. I don't think they would just go with it, but they could have just gone with it.  I actually believe since the Commander's media relations people are not idiots (they're not), they probably DID try and control the situation a bit.

So, if Option 1 takes place, then Jason Wright flies off the handle like he did, and you criticize him for responding. Which you have done.   

If Option 2 takes place, then see above, you all crush them for trying to control the narrative.

There is literally no way they could do ANYTHING under the circumstances where the people who are going to bash them no matter what aren't going to bash them.  Literally nothing.  The only thing Wright could have done is do absolutely nothing.  But THAT I would argue would be bad also from an "inside the building" perspective.  

So, pick your poison.  I like that Wright just decided to stand up for his guys.  The group of people who are going to find fault with absolutely everything will find fault with it.  

The people who look at it rationally will see he might have gone overboard, as Bram said, "pushed the accelerator a little bit hard" but understand what's going on and why it's happening.

Look, they made the bed they are lying in.  And I grant that.  And point of fact, THEY didn't make the bed, Dan, Larry, and a bunch of other douche bags made the bed 20 years ago.  But Jason, Ron and company have to lie in the bed.  It's given the local media license to be complete dicks at times, and then get defensive when anybody questions them being dicks. 

I will say just from paying attention on twitter there are A LOT more fans backing Jason on this than bashing him. As you said the people bashing the team or Jason over it are mostly the people you expect to do that. And as you said the media is freaking out about it of course. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I will say just from paying attention on twitter there are A LOT more fans backing Jason on this than bashing him. As you said the people bashing the team or Jason over it are mostly the people you expect to do that. And as you said the media is freaking out about it of course. 

The media is going to protect itself.  And all of them are colleagues and somewhat friendly, it seems.

And the media coverage can effect and direct public opinion.    But I think it's good Jason isn't been totally trashed by the fans.  I don't really twitter, so it's good to know. 

• Thumb up 1

Recap: Sponsors have rebounded. Most Sponsorship $ since 2005. Gonna take time for fans be okay with rebrand. Ticket sales are up but not quite where the once were winning would accelerate process. Ticket sales up 15% for home opener. Lot of other nuggets as well 

10 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Recap: Sponsors have rebounded. Most Sponsorship $ since 2005. Gonna take time for fans be okay with rebrand. Ticket sales are up but not quite where the once were winning would accelerate process. Ticket sales up 15% for home opener. Lot of other nuggets as well 

Personally, I think Wright is a classic bull-**** artist...so I take anything he says with a massive grain of salt. 

To me, that he'll claim that the fan-base is a "year away" from a "major resurgence" bears that out. Or, maybe he really is just that naive to think that 20 years of suffering under Snyd-dog will be undone quite so easily. 

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

Personally, I think Wright is a classic bull-**** artist...so I take anything he says with a massive grain of salt. 

To me, that he'll claim that the fan-base is a "year away" from a "major resurgence" bears that out. Or, maybe he really is just that naive to think that 20 years of suffering under Snyd-dog will be undone quite so easily. 

I’m going to disagree with you and here’s why. This site and even social media is a very small portion of the fan base. You can choose to believe me or not but I’ve been to several events over the past few months for new STHs or prospective season ticket holders. They are generally packed and sales ARE up. It helps that for the most part that at least from what I’ve seen and dealt with over the past few months people in the building actually do care about helping rebuild the fan base and their customers. Are they a year away? Idk I think a lot of that depends on how season goes which is basically what Jason said. Winning on the field helps more than just about any other factor 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I’m going to disagree with you and here’s why. This site and even social media is a very small portion of the fan base. You can choose to believe me or not but I’ve been to several events over the past few months for new STHs or prospective season ticket holders. They are generally packed and sales ARE up. It helps that for the most part that at least from what I’ve seen and dealt with over the past few months people in the building actually do care about helping rebuild the fan base and their customers. Are they a year away? Idk I think a lot of that depends on how season goes which is basically what Jason said. Winning on the field helps more than just about any other factor 

So, you disagree by saying I'm only taking into account a "very small portion of the fanbase" in ES viewers/posters and social media users...and then go on to try and make your point by citing an even smaller portion of the fanbase in STH holders?

Only time will tell. But, I don't see any world in which this team is "one year away" from a resurgent fan base after two solid decades of misery not nearly solely related to mostly sucking on the field. 

Edited by formerly4skins
  • Like 4

Its Jason Wrights job to paint a rosy outlook on our situation.

I'd be deeply concerned with words circling around the idea that we were not confident as in org that our fanbase is set to respond positively in the near and long future.

Stuff like that is what he should be saying. It also does not have to be true, and he does not even have to believe it for him to be saying it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

So, you disagree by saying I'm only taking into account a "very small portion of the fanbase" in ES viewers/posters and social media users...and then go on to try and make your point by citing an even smaller portion of the fanbase in STH holders?

Only time will tell. But, I don't see any world in which this team is "one year away" from a resurgent fan base after two solid decades of misery not nearly solely related to mostly sucking on the field. 

LOL STH's are a smaller portion of the fan base than whats on es and regularly posts on social media? So as of a few months ago they were up more than 10,000 new STHs you think there's 10,000 members that regularly post on ES? How many do you think are REGULARLY posting to social media about the team? just curious. 

• Like 1

…..what do people expect Jason to say? “Theres no hope in rebuilding the fanbase, the team is godawful, etc etc…..”? Even if that’s true (which I’m choosing the wait & see method with all this), he isn’t going to just say it. It’s his JOB to say whatever good things he can. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

To your point. I know others were talking about Kevin Sheehan on another thread. Apparently according to Sheehan nobody cares about improvements to the HR Department.

Sure, it's great and all that folks are being treated like humans - but it rings hollow when the owner was forced into making all the changes that were the catalyst for this.  So I'd agree with Sheehan that generally fans don't really care about that stuff.  At the end of the day, Dan is still overseeing everything and it's only a matter of time before the one step forward becomes a catastrophic fall all the way back down to the foot of the stairs.

13 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

LOL STH's are a smaller portion of the fan base than whats on es and regularly posts on social media? So as of a few months ago they were up more than 10,000 new STHs you think there's 10,000 members that regularly post on ES? How many do you think are REGULARLY posting to social media about the team? just curious

I'm not sure what to think about the fact that you think there are more season ticket holders for WAS than ALL the people that post on social media about the team. 

Other than it's just silly.

Yes...given the scale of all the various social media nerworks in the world...there are undoubtedly far more than 10,000 total SM users that post about this team. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

I'm not sure what to think about the fact that you think there are more season ticket holders for WAS than ALL the people that post on social media about the team. 

Other than it's just silly.

Yes...given the scale of all the various social media nerworks in the world...there are undoubtedly far more than 10,000 total SM users that post about this team. 

Is the overall point really going that far over your head? Data shows there are 2.7 million fans between VA and MD alone. Meaning this board or social media for that matter makes up a very small portion of that fan base same goes for STHs for sure. I’m not arguing the amount of fans that HAVE social media. I’m talking fans that post here or on social media about this team every single day. Again sales are ALREADY up a decent % without having played a down yet this season so saying you could see a resurgence if the team has a good season is not the asinine statement you make it out to be. Especially considering most fans outside of this board mostly only care about wins and losses. 

16 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I’m not arguing the amount of fans that HAVE social media. I’m talking fans that post here or on social media about this team every single day.

Your point still just doesn't hold water.

For example, the Commanders sub-Reddit, all on its own, has 109,452 unique sunscibers. That one corner of one single social network has 10 times the people associated with it as STHs. 

To me, the very clearly very much larger segment of fans represented on all the social platforms...vs. only STHs...is going to be more representative of the whole of the fanbase. 

Edited by formerly4skins
  • Like 2

Up is up, but a 15% addition of seats being filled is still going to look like a concrete bowl of sadness.  I'll give at least some credit, that the branding around the stadium makes it look less awful than in years past.  I also think the narrative that winning will bring everyone back is flimsy.  The team got off to a hot start in 2018 with Alex Smith, but you could see the train ready to derail as every time they played a decent opponent, they got embarrassed.  While the place wasn't as empty as it's been of late, it didn't look like a stadium of a team leading their division.

If I bought season tix and was attending the events driven to get more fans on board, I guess that I'd be inclined to want to believe things are on the up and up.  But in reality, the uphill climb for this franchise to become relevant is steeper than simply needing to win.  They need to drop the anchor that is Dan Snyder or win and sustain it for quite some time to mask the stench of the owners box.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

So this site is a very small portion of the fan base.  Which is true.  Whats left on this forum compared to a couple of years ago is almost solely the hardcore, rabid, wont go anywhere no matter what Dan does crowd.  Its a very small portion.  Meanwhile the vast majority of people have handed in their cards, dont care anymore, and have moved on or are in the process of just going through the motions while trying to move-on.  The real fanbase is far worse off and cares far less about the team than this forum would make it appear.

And I have no doubt the team can pack a 100 person venue with STHs.  Thats about as impressive as mowing a lawn.

• Like 1

Wright, most likely driven by Snyder, is falling into the same trap as his predecessor...he plays to the wrong audience. He doesn't need to convince a group of season ticket holders that things might look better soon. That group wakes up in their Commanders PJs, eats their Commanders-Os while they check Twitter and defend the Commanders against the haters, kiss their Chase Young bobblehead goodbye, and head to the basement for a long day at work, before coming back upstairs, slipping into their Commanders robe, and re-watching a game from 2020. They already believe that! 

What Wright and the team should be trying to do is win back the tens of thousands of fans that have been lost year over year since 2000. I have no idea how, but that's the task at hand. Rather than snap off at media or figure out a way to cook the numbers to claim sponsorship or interest is good, continue to be humble, modest, and apologetic for the **** show that the owner has created, hope like Hell the team eventually improves, and try to be classy on the business side. Eventually, it just might take care of itself when enough time passes. 

Edited by TD_washingtonredskins
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Wright, most likely driven by Snyder, is falling into the same trap as his predecessor...he plays to the wrong audience. He doesn't need to convince a group of season ticket holders that things might look better soon. That group wakes up in their Commanders PJs, eats their Commanders-Os while they check Twitter and defend the Commanders against the haters, kiss their Chase Young bobblehead goodbye, and head to the basement for a long day at work, before coming back upstairs, slipping into their Commanders robe, and re-watching a game from 2020. They already believe that! 

What Wright and the team should be trying to do is win back the tens of thousands of fans that have been lost year over year since 2000. I have no idea how, but that's the task at hand. Rather than snap off at media or figure out a way to cook the numbers to claim sponsorship or interest is good, continue to be humble, modest, and apologetic for the **** show that the owner has created, hope like Hell the team eventually improves, and try to be classy on the business side. Eventually, it just might take care of itself when enough time passes. 

They will never win back the old time fans that left. Dan will have to create new fans with those young fans. Winning regularly will help with that but anyone really see that happen?

• Like 1

Just now, 88Comrade2000 said:

They will never win back the old time fans that left. Dan will have to create new fans with those young fans. Winning regularly will help with that but anyone really see that happen?

I tend to agree...I'm just saying that's where the effort should. Either winning back some fans that left or creating new. Not continuing to cater to the fanboys who already worship them and show up to everything...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I tend to agree...I'm just saying that's where the effort should. Either winning back some fans that left or creating new. Not continuing to cater to the fanboys who already worship them and show up to everything...

Problem there, when the owner is fanboy. Everything Dan  has done, us to try to appeal to the old fans.

He should've made a clean break and just live with the backlash from old f ans.