Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

I am so tired of being manipulated by these media reports.   

Frankly, i hate Twitter, because like short emails, a lot is left up to "selective interpretation"  by the media.  And rest assured, the media makes a lot of "click-bait" off of the Washington NFL franchise.

Not apologizing for the Snyder regime, but it's more about the "shock-jock" manner in which this franchise is being treated.  Frankly, Washington is an easy target, but there are other institutions/franchises wouldn't bear up well under the same level of scrutiny.  ...Including the media itself.

• Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I am so tired of being manipulated by these media reports.   

Frankly, i hate Twitter, because like short emails, a lot is left up to "selective interpretation"  by the media.  And rest assured, the media makes a lot of "click-bait" off of the Washington NFL franchise.

Not apologizing for the Snyder regime, but it's more about the "shock-jock" manner in which this franchise is being treated.  Frankly, Washington is an easy target, but there are other institutions/franchises wouldn't bear up well under the same level of scrutiny.  ...Including the media itself.

It’s gotten way out of control IMO, they have largely been mediocre on the field for the best part of the last 6 years (one awful year) and we are just a punching bag through and through. Wentz comes here and he’s all of a sudden a trash QB? Like that bad? And the worst part is our fan base leads the charge. 

• Like 1

Frankly, I've seen a prejudicial mindset, we!l-publicized, about everything this franchise does -- usually with a negative spin.  Oddly, these same media types will quickly change their tune (without apology) should Ron's Washington team achieve notable success.  They'll jump on the bandwagon (maybe with a few doom-&-gloom side-remarks), to attract all those clicks and attention. 

It would be nice if the fans could rate these guys, because their hastily prepared remarks (often disproved later) impact the lives of players and coaches.  Right now, I see no accountability -- even on the media blow-ups of some "drive-by" Twitter comments. Nope, it gets reported as fact.. and then you get a long personal piece on why that "tweet" confirms the "click-baiter's" preconceived notions

--

Edited by Wyvern
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Man, I feel like I hopped into a time machine and went back to 2009 when we used to point fingers at the media and fans for being unfair to the team.

Love it, feels like old times!

Not the fans.  Since when was Baltimore "Rat-Bird" Ed Reed a Washington fan? But he's got a drive-by Tweet, which the media will likely run with.  I don't remember Reed ever commenting on "Rat-Bird #52 (a.k.a., model citizen Ray Lewis)

If you can't see it... I'm okay with that.  You're entitled.

Edited by Wyvern

9 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Man, I feel like I hopped into a time machine and went back to 2009 when we used to point fingers at the media and fans for being unfair to the team.

I don’t necessarily blame the media. But they can be OVERLY negative quite a bit. Dont get me wrong this organization does plenty to get negative attention. But to me there’s being negative when it’s deserved and then raking the team over the coals over every single thing they do or even manufacturing negativity.
Ex. Last season during 4 game win streak with Dallas coming to town the conversation wasn’t about beating Dallas. The conversation wasn’t about trying to get fans to go cheer for the team. No the conversation was about the fact that the organization was trash because tickets were selling for between 3-400. Here’s the thing though the team wasn’t selling those tickets they were after market tickets. So the fans begged on social media for cheaper tickets. So team opens up SRO for $99 with no fees and the media trashed them for that as well. The team does enough on its own to create negative attention without manufacturing it

^^^ Clearly, the last 2 are not fans of the multi-generational clown show. 

Dan Snyder, after all of the BS and horse **** surrounding the team for the past 2 decades, after almost all of the fans have given up on the team due to his ineptitude, is given an opportunity to defend the team and himself in front of the entire country, yet what does he do with this opportunity? He punts!!!

And now fans are falling all over themselves to defend the head clown and his creation from the evil media! :headbang:

Hilarious! :rofl89:

• Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Dan Snyder, after all of the BS and horse **** surrounding the team for the past 2 decades, after almost all of the fans have given up on the team due to his ineptitude, is given an opportunity to defend the team and himself in front of the entire country, yet what does he do with this opportunity? He punts!!!

And now fans are falling all over themselves to defend the head clown and his creation from the evil media! :headbang:

LOL did anywhere in my specific post did I mention Dan? I could give two craps what the media says about Dan because almost everything said about him by the media is accurate. To be honest I could give two craps about Dan period he doesn’t live rent free in my head like some. If the negativity was strictly about Dan nobody likely ever says a word about it. You think Kam Curl and BSJ have made comments about things getting twisted by the media each of the last two days is because of Dan Snyder? No what’s hilarious is that you can’t seem to understand that Dan can be a turd and the media can be overly negative about things that have nothing to with the owner. Those two things aren’t mutually exclusive 

I think you got basically 5 moving parts as for the coverage if the team

A.  Ron is mostly beloved by the national media and to a lesser extent the local media.  He's helped get this team multiple puff pieces especially in the context of this is a good place for QBs to come to among other things.  When Ron goes on the media circuit, he's mostly fawned over.  I think its amusing that some can't wait for Ron to go.  For me, I think he almost single handily gives this team some good PR in the mix of the bad.   You take Ron out of this place and replace him with name that generic coach who doesn't have these relationships and respect with the media -- in that case, I expect things to feel even worse then they do now. 

B.  As far as Dan, the media treats him like crap and IMO he's earned every bit of it.  If he wants to combat it to some extent, then he needs to get over his phobia of public speaking and talk. If you want to be a douche and do wild stuff like he apparently enjoys doing in the dark -- then at least be like Jerry and have the guts to face the music and talk about it and or defend it.   

I know some say the media would kill him anyway.  It's not necessarily so.  Maybe in this case yes initially because so much time has been built with so much crap that you can't ignore the crap in interviews from the jump.  But after that, his PR would actually improve in all likelihood at least a little.  I recall for example Dukes and Arrington ripping Dan a lot on their show.  Then they got Dan to appear for a few minutes on it during SB week, and they actually treated him pretty nicely.   

These days, he doesn't even like to do his vintage puff interviews anymore with friendly interviewers which was what he used to do when he spoke on occasion.  Dan has customers.  And plenty have abandoned him -- whether its declining ticket sales or TV ratings.  Yet, he doesn't feel like he needs to get in front of any of this and explain anything to his customer base.   Whether he sees it from this perspective or not, IMO that's very arrogant that he feels like he doesn't need to explain a thing.  And some who know Dan have said he's very arrogant and delusional so it fits.   Again, he deserves every ounce of bad PR he gets.  And sadly for us, the bad press this team gets its mostly driven by what they think of Dan. 

Can Elon Musk for example divorce himself from what people think of Tesla?  Nope Tesla and Musk are interlinked.  It's part of the same narrative.  So is Dan and this team.  Like any owner is or famous CEO.  CEOs talk.  Owners of teams, talk -- yes even CEOs and owners who are under seige with bad PR talk, actually especially so in those cases.  They don't cower and hide inside their castle. 

C.  Loser team track record.  I follow almost every team on twitter.  The perennial loser teams just aren't given the benefit of the doubt.  Sadly we fit that category.  We are with the Jaguars and Lions, etc or close enough for the last 20 years.  Only team in the NFL for about 30 years or so not to win 11 games.   If I recall the 5th worst record over that time in the NFL or something like that?  So the off season of optimism from our end is greeted by skepticism by the national media.  As John Keim likes to say to change that narrative they got to win.

D.  The Carson Wentz stuff.  Is weird. I agree.  Although, I don't agree with the post that our fan base piled on to it.  From what I can tell most (granted not all) of the fan base whether here or on twitter are at odds with the media on it.   I talk about it all the time on the Wentz thread.  I don't think its all about this team being the acquiring team because I saw and heard some of the Wentz bashing before the trade.    The fact that this is the team though doesn't help.  Wentz is an odd punchline with the national media.  It wasn't the case with Fitz or Alex Smith or some of the other acqusitions over the years.  So no I don't think they just crap on whatever player this team acquires.  But yeah the national media really hates Wentz.  I think some of that has to do with their worshipping of Ballard and Roseman.

E.  The media in general likes pushing negativity because it sells.   Purely as to clicks, etc.  In the context of Dan, though I don't feel sorry for him, he's earned all of it.  This team is an easy target but sadly they've earned the easy target status.   As for us as fans, it does suck, it does feel like this team is a punching bag for the media -- combination of this being a losing franchise, the sleaze and Dan being unlikeable.  We deserve a lot better as fans.  But it is what it is.   and yeah I do blame Dan for all of it. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is the very reason Danny Boy needs to be there. Does he really think the other owners won't bugs in Roger's ears about throwing Danny under the bus while he's out of the country... ? Seriously?

8 hours ago, spjunkies said:

No kidding...I mean we have been so good since then.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think you got basically 5 moving parts as for the coverage if the team

A.  Ron is mostly beloved by the national media and to a lesser extent the local media.  He's helped get this team multiple puff pieces especially in the context of this is good place for QBs to come to among other things.  When Ron goes on the media circuit, he's mostly fawned over.  I think its amusing that some can't wait for Ron to go.  For me, I think he almost single handily gives this team some good PR in the mix of the bad.   You take Ron out of this place and replace him with name that generic coach who doesn't have these relationships and respect with the media -- in that case, I expect things to feel even worse then they do now. 

B.  As far as Dan, the media treats him like crap and IMO he's earned every bit of it.  If he wants to combat it to some extent, then he needs to get over his phobia of public speaking and talk. If you want to be a douche and do wild stuff like he apparently enjoys doing in the dark -- then at least by like Jerry and have the guts to face the music and talk about it and or defend it.   

I know some say the media would kill him anyway.  It's not necessarily so.  Maybe in this case yes initially because so much time has been built with so much crap that you can't ignore the crap in interviews.  But after that, his PR would actually improve in all likelihood at least a little.  I recall for example Dukes and Arrington ripping Dan a lot on their show.  Then they got Dan to appear for a few minutes on it during SB week, and they actually treated him pretty nicely.   

These days, he doesn't even like to do his vintage puff interviews anymore with friendly interviews which was what he used to do when he spoke on occasion.  He has customers.  And plenty have abandoned him -- whether its declining ticket sales or TV ratings.  Yet, he doesn't feel like he needs to get in front of any of this and explain anything.  Again, he deserves every ounce of bad PR he gets.  And sadly for us, the bad press this team gets its mostly driven by what they think of Dan. 

Can Elon Musk for example divorce himself from what people think of Tesla?  Nope Tesla and Musk are interlinked.  It's part of the same narrative.  So is Dan and this team.  Like any owner is or famous CEO.

C.  Loser team track record.  I follow almost every team on twitter.  The perennial loser teams just aren't given the benefit of the doubt.  Sadly we fit that category.  We are with the Jaguars and Lions, etc or close enough for the last 20 years.  Only team on the NFL for about 30 years not to win 11 games.   If I recall the 5th worst record over that time in the NFL or something like that?  So the off season of optimism from our end is greeted by skepticism by the national media.  As John Keim likes to say to change that narrative they got to win.

D.  The Carson Wentz stuff.  Is weird. I agree.  Although, I don't agree with the post that our fan base piled on to it.  From what I can tell most (granted not all) of the fan base whether here or on twitter are at odds with the media on it.   I talk about it all the time on the Wentz thread.  I don't think its all about this team being the acquiring team because I saw and heard some of the Wentz bashing before the trade.    The fact that this is the team though doesn't help.  Wentz is an odd punchline with the national media.  It wasn't the case with Fitz or Alex Smith or some of the other acqusitions over the years.  So no I don't think they just crap on whatever player this team acquires.  But yeah the national media really hates Wentz.  I think some of that has to do with their worshipping of Ballard and Roseman.

E.  The media in general likes pushing negativity because it sells.   Purely as to clicks, etc.  In the context of Dan, though I don't feel sorry for him, he's earned all of it.  This team is an easy target but sadly they've earned the easy target status.   As for us as fans, it does suck, it does feel like this team is a punching bag for the media -- combination of this being a losing franchise, the sleaze and Dan being unlikeable.  We deserve a lot better as fans.  But it is what it is.   and yeah I do blame Dan for all of it. 

I agree Dan deserves all of it 100%, That's never been my issue. Its the other stuff. Granted part of that could be my personality in and of itself. I try my best to look at everything as a whole. For example Grant and Danny (mostly Danny) LOVE to crush Ron for not doing more for the Defense this offseason. His main point is well just go look at the rankings they were god awful last season! To me I take that as negative because its not looking at entire picture. Defense was god awful weeks 1 through 6. Weeks 7-13 they played much closer to the top 5 defense they were expected to be and then the injuries and covid. So in my eyes it plays out as being negative and disingenuous because only the negative part of the picture is being painted.

I feel like Im picking on Danny. But take the Wentz debate on twitter the other day. That list had Wentz 23rd. I argued Wentz was closer to Cousins and Ryan around 15ish instead of around 23 and youd have thought I said Carson was by far the best qb in the league instead of arguing that he was better than Daniel Jones and Tua. Or take Bmitch's rant last week accusing Ron of talking about him behind his back saying you got my phone number we grown men you got something to say call me like hes not on the radio publicly blasting Ron like a child throwing a tantrum instead of doing what he just said Ron should do. 

I continue to ask why can't Congress invite Beth Wilkerson to testify?  I do find it interesting that Rodger will testify, I didn't think that would happen. He has been covering for Dan throughout all of this, I don't see that changing now but under oath it could get interesting.  The first question I would ask is was there really no written report, and if so why not?  

32 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

This is the very reason Danny Boy needs to be there. Does he really think the other owners won't bugs in Roger's ears about throwing Danny under the bus while he's out of the country... ? Seriously?

I for one think Dan should continue to enjoy his time away and not feel obligated to attend. 

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I for one think Dan should continue to enjoy his time away and not feel obligated to attend. 

Oh, I fully support this trip and the potential ramifications from it. Just odd that someone with so many supposed business smarts would fail to realize this would be a perfect opportunity for his frienemies to totally throw him under the bus. I mean... I'm just a stupid IT guy and I see that writing on the wall.

4 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

If I was advising Dan, there is absolutely no way I would let him attend this hearing.  All it is going to be is a public scolding, and the odds are he is going to put his foot in his mouth and there's going to be a soundbite that lasts forever like "Happy Thanksgiving Everybody."  

He's going to get the scolding no matter what.  Whether he is there or he's not there.  It doesn't matter.  So, from his perspective, what is there to gain by being there?

I think if there was a chance this was going to be "fair and balanced" he might have shown up.  But that's not what this is going to be.  It's obvious Krishnamoorthi is involved in something with an agenda to get rid of Snyder. (Which I'm all for, FWIW. Good on him if he can be successful.)  This from Politico:

The issue: whether it was inappropriate for a pair of lobbyists, Mike Manatos and Tom Manatos, to explicitly invite donors to the event to discuss with the congressman the probe of the football team and its owner, Dan Snyder.

In mid-April, they sent an email to friends inviting them to the fundraiser, along with this message: “The one person in Washington who may have found a path to getting rid of Snyder [as the team’s owner] is my good friend and Chairman of the House Oversight Subcommittee, Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi.”

“Tom and I hope you can join us on May 10 as a small group of us meets with Raja to discuss his efforts,” Mike Manatos wrote in the email, later adding: “Attached is an invitation with the details.”

But knowing the background, there is no lawyer or adviser alive who would allow Snyder to appear before a committee when it is so transparent that the leader of the committee is absolutely out to get him.

Now, flip side: IF I thought Snyder was quick witted enough and quick on his feet enough, and a good public speaker, and if I thought he could turn the whole thing around and make Congress look like fools (which, candidly, they do a pretty good job of all by themselves, so it wouldn't take much), and not stick his foot in his mouth, then sure, I'd send him to Congress.  Let him try and flip the narrative.  

But Snyder is none of those things.  He appears in Congress, and he's going to step all over himself, he's going to get railroaded and scolded, and there would be nothing good to come out of it for him.

Which is why I'm sure they decided he wasn't going. 

It's also why Rodger IS going.  Because all of the things Snyder is not, Rodger is.  Rodger is smooth, he's a lawyer by trade, he's a negotiator, he won't be trapped on the stand, and he knows what he's doing.  

Again, this is not a defense of Dan.  It's just why no first year law student would let him go.  Until he is subpoenaed.  That's the right strategic play from his side. 

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

If Snyder was banned from day to day team operations like Howdy Doody Goodell said he was, then WTF is he doing at a team-related business meeting for?? The lies from the league and this team prove that they deserve all the negative media attention.

Here's the official quote from the league:

“As co-CEO, Tanya Snyder will assume responsibilities for all day-to-day team operations and represent the club at all league meetings and other league activities for at least the next several months. Dan Snyder will concentrate on a new stadium plan and other matters.”

That was last July.  Then there was the conflicting reports at one of the league events where Rodger said Dan wasn't involved in day to day stuff, and the team said he was.

So who knows.  

I personally think his "longstanding out of the country blah blah blah" is he is lounging on his yacht in the Med and has no desire to be a part of this investigation when he already knows it's going to lead to nothing for him.  

45 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I agree Dan deserves all of it 100%, That's never been my issue. Its the other stuff. Granted part of that could be my personality in and of itself. I try my best to look at everything as a whole.

I know what you mean as far as the other stuff especially as to Ron who is a good dude and I do think is genuinely committed to changing the culture.  I do sadly get why this team doesn't get the benefit of the doubt regardless of Ron's best intentions. 

IFor example Grant and Danny (mostly Danny) LOVE to crush Ron for not doing more for the Defense this offseason. His main point is well just go look at the rankings they were god awful last season! To me I take that as negative because its not looking at entire picture. Defense was god awful weeks 1 through 6. Weeks 7-13 they played much closer to the top 5 defense they were expected to be and then the injuries and covid. So in my eyes it plays out as being negative and disingenuous because only the negative part of the picture is being painted.

I find it annoying when dudes like them who bash Dan, also give no break to the coaches as if none of that Dan stuff matters to coaching here.  Sheehan actually is really good at pointing that out about how hard it is to coach here and that should be taken into consideration.  Not much of that from Grant and Danny.  I think those two in particular aren't big Ron guys.  I don't sense they dislike him but see him as just OK at best.  In all sports they seem fascinated by youth.  To them youth is king.  And anything new is king.  If they hired some 25 year old assistant from PFF to coach or run the team they'd be all over having their back.   Some hyperbole on my end to make a point, but that's the gist as to how I see those two.  I like listening to them but they definitely have their hardcore dispositions.

I feel like Im picking on Danny. But take the Wentz debate on twitter the other day. That list had Wentz 23rd. I argued Wentz was closer to Cousins and Ryan around 15ish instead of around 23 and youd have thought I said Carson was by far the best qb in the league instead of arguing that he was better than Daniel Jones and Tua. 

Yeah the Wentz stuff is crazy to me.  I've ranted about it on the Wentz thread.  Grant and Danny though might be coming around a little, I noticed yesterday they joined the local media club as for goofing on the national media's goofing on Wentz. lol, even Danny agreed.   They both go yesterday that Wentz is one of the top punch line QBs in the NFL right now, and its not warranted at all.  

As i mentioned to you on the Wentz thread, Danny to me is the biggest Wentz hater among the locals right next to Sheehan so he's intense but even he joined in on that point.

Or take Bmitch's rant last week accusing Ron of talking about him behind his back saying you got my phone number we grown men you got something to say call me like hes not on the radio publicly blasting Ron like a child throwing a tantrum instead of doing what he just said Ron should do. 

Mitchell likes to suggest because he's negative on stuff and cynical he's being real and honest.  I recall his rants back in the day on TV about Kyle not being a good offensive coordinator among other things.  He's sort of a backdoor Dan defender (granted unintentionally), maybe the only one among the local media because one of his favorite things to say is Dan gets too much blame and the coaches by extension get too much of a pass.    His default position seems to be the coaches don't coach up the players well -- I can't recall the last coaching staff Brian liked.  

I missed that segment about him saying that about Ron, wow.  Takes me back to his feud with Clinton which ended up making it on the air.   Ron might be cooler with Mitchell if he knew that Mitchell's thing is the same about every coaching staff.  I can recall its the same stuff every time.  they don't adjust at half time.  they don't coach up back up players.  Other teams backups are almost as good as their starters -- they get injuries and nothing happens to their bottom line -- whereas we get injuries and fall apart.  On and on and on.  Every year.  Doesn't matter the regime. 

• Like 1

Just some food for thought to those complaining about the negative coverage of this team...

If Dan Snyder were either forced out or agreed to sell on his own, it would solve for the majority of negative coverage you speak of.  If you really want to see euphoria for what's left of this fan base, let it be announced that Dan is gone - you'll see folks crawling out from under rocks to hop a ride on this bandwagon, results be damned.  

Is the negative press fair for Rivera on down to constantly have to deal with it?  No.  Does it make it that much more difficult to do their jobs? Yes.  But that's what anyone who takes the job here signs up for as long as Dan Snyder is in charge.  I cannot sit here and point fingers at the media for doing their jobs and reporting on the gift that keeps on giving.  If my profession tasked me with talking and/or writing about this team, I'd hope they turn it around because the constant drama and losing is depressing.  I'm certain many members of the media wish they had better things to write about.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I missed that segment about him saying that about Ron, wow.  Takes me back to his feud with Clinton which ended up making it on the air.   Ron might be cooler with Mitchell if he knew that Mitchell's thing is the same about every coaching staff.  I can recall its the same stuff every time.  they don't adjust at half time.  they don't coach up back up players.  Other teams backups are almost as good as their starters -- they get injuries and nothing happens to their bottom line -- whereas we get injuries and fall apart.  On and on and on.  Every year.  Doesn't matter the regime. 

The bottom one has the comments I mentioned above but Nicki has the entire rant posted in that twitter thread 

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just some food for thought to those complaining about the negative coverage of this team...

If Dan Snyder were either forced out or agreed to sell on his own, it would solve for the majority of negative coverage you speak of.  If you really want to see euphoria for what's left of this fan base, let it be announced that Dan is gone - you'll see folks crawling out from under rocks to hop a ride on this bandwagon, results be damned.  

Is the negative press fair for Rivera on down to constantly have to deal with it?  No.  Does it make it that much more difficult to do their jobs? Yes.  But that's what anyone who takes the job here signs up for as long as Dan Snyder is in charge.  I cannot sit here and point fingers at the media for doing their jobs and reporting on the gift that keeps on giving.  If my profession tasked me with talking and/or writing about this team, I'd hope they turn it around because the constant drama and losing is depressing.  I'm certain many members of the media wish they had better things to write about.

The only reason im gonna push back on this is because guys like Standig, Galdi, Weinstein, Keim etc can be critical when its called for but they also report on things fairly. Galdi's podcast last week about the JDR stuff was honestly an incredible listen. 

16 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

The bottom one has the comments I mentioned above but Nicki has the entire rant posted in that twitter thread 

OK.   the Jack stuff is a different drill.  But as for the coaching...

The hey these coaches have built in excuses because people will blame Dan -- that's his usual line.  When he expounds a bit, he comes off like maybe Dan is to blame a liittle for why this team has not been winning but the coaches deserve the lions share of the blame and undeservingly get a pass.  That's why like I said to me he's the one back door Dan defender among the media.  It's not that I believe he likes Dan.  But its that he's so angry at the coaches here.  EVERY regime.  And they all supposedly make the same mistakes.  Whereas coaches in most other places get it all correct.  Tough for me to take him that seriously.  It's the same stuff every time.

• Like 1