Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

26 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I like to believe that the football gods cursed him because of his abuses during the "Spirit of the cap" fiasco. I think his team has been in the dumpster since then.

The wrath of the Football Gods should not be taken lightly. Look at the Lions...they traded QB Bobby Layne in 1958 after winning three titles in the 50s, and he cursed them saying they wouldn't win another one for 60 years. Since they won't win one in 2022 either, that makes 64 years...

It took the Bills almost 20 years to recover from the Curse of Doug Flutie. Flutie was the QB through most of 1999 and they were 10-5, when goofball coach Wade Phillips switched to sweatband-wearing Rob Johnson as the starting QB. Because of his contract or because he had a stronger arm...never mind that Flutie just won games. Johnson's next game was...the Music City Miracle, which the Bills lost and they missed the playoffs for the next 17 seasons.

The 'Skins were rightfully cursed for not signing any black players until 1962...15 years after the rest of the NFL did. They had 3 winning seasons in 16 years and no playoff appearances.

You don't hear anything from the Ghost of Missed Extra Points any more, though. You know..."that missed extra point will come back and haunt them." Not since they started allowing the two-point conversion in 1994.

The issue isn't whether the Giants hired the right guy or not, it's whether that guy will be given the time and tools to succeed. Mara the Younger hasn't shown a lot of patience. It really does start from the top. That's a question mark with the Giants. Not so with the WFT, sadly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What would it matter?  Was he going develop Taylor Heineke into a top half of the league starter?  

He probably still screws himself over but Dwayne would’ve been better last year with KOC. Dwayne had his best stretch with KOC calling plays. Also likely the QB room looks different with KOC at the helm

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, method man said:

KOC is now a finalist for the Broncos HC job. Great job by Ron not working harder to keep him around as OC

I see what you're saying but even if Ron had kept him, odds are that KOC would still be the finalist for the Broncos job.  Hence, we'd be losing him after two years of progress and having to start all over again.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, method man said:

He probably still screws himself over but Dwayne would’ve been better last year with KOC. Dwayne had his best stretch with KOC calling plays. Also likely the QB room looks different with KOC at the helm

Something tells me KOC won’t be making calls for Dwayne should he get the Broncos gig.  I don’t really see how KOC draws us a different/better QB room either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, method man said:

It was two games. Lets stop acting like Haskins was killing it for an entire season. And i think he got hurt in one of them.

Haskins is a bust. Let it go.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

It was two games. Lets stop acting like Haskins was killing it for an entire season. And i think he got hurt in one of them.

Haskins is a bust. Let it go.

I am no Dwayne apologist. The guy is a bust. My point is that KOC made him look like a competent QB once Callahan let him do what he wanted to do. 

3 hours ago, Redwards said:

I see what you're saying but even if Ron had kept him, odds are that KOC would still be the finalist for the Broncos job.  Hence, we'd be losing him after two years of progress and having to start all over again.  

That's fine. You would then have had Turner ready to take over. That's what good teams have - a deep bench of assistants who can step up. If Turner were to leave, who is the guy on this staff who would be the next young innovative offensive mind? Drew Terrell? (That is a total guess only because he is a Stanford grad)

2 hours ago, method man said:

I am no Dwayne apologist. The guy is a bust. My point is that KOC made him look like a competent QB once Callahan let him do what he wanted to do. 

That's fine. You would then have had Turner ready to take over. That's what good teams have - a deep bench of assistants who can step up. If Turner were to leave, who is the guy on this staff who would be the next young innovative offensive mind? Drew Terrell? (That is a total guess only because he is a Stanford grad)

They would go Jennifer King :)

20 hours ago, method man said:

KOC is now a finalist for the Broncos HC job. Great job by Ron not working harder to keep him around as OC

Denver seems to have great success with its first time head coaches. Fangio, Vance Joseph, Josh McDaniels... I see great things in his future.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Dont worry about KOC, Riveras high respect and praise around the league will get us another 6-8 win season under our sexy new name/uniforms.

I appreciate the sarcasm... but Rivera's respect around the league is the only thing giving us a chance to land some of these big names. It's still not a big chance. But he provides some sort of respectability to the franchise.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of him. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I appreciate the sarcasm... but Rivera's respect around the league is the only thing giving us a chance to land some of these big names. It's still not a big chance. But he provides some sort of respectability to the franchise.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of him. 

Agreed.

Results in 2021 haven’t gone as we’d hoped, but we should keep in mind the complete disaster this organisation is. Rivera’s standing throughout the league is invaluable to us at present.

Clearly as fans we also crave progression in the field. Hopefully this offseason brings that promise too.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agreed.

Results in 2021 haven’t gone as we’d hoped, but we should keep in mind the complete disaster this organisation is. Rivera’s standing throughout the league is invaluable to us at present.

Clearly as fans we also crave progression in the field. Hopefully this offseason brings that promise too.

And I still believe the ultimate plan is that Rivera takes over football operations when we do go to the next HC.

Whether we get to that... who knows. A bad season or two could be the end of RIvera in DC. 

But having some long term continuity would be extremely beneficial. And the way the FO/Football side is structured just kind of screams to me that Rivera is prepping for a bigger overall role and less of a football role. But we'll see.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And I still believe the ultimate plan is that Rivera takes over football operations when we do go to the next HC.

Whether we get to that... who knows. A bad season or two could be the end of RIvera in DC. 

But having some long term continuity would be extremely beneficial. And the way the FO/Football side is structured just kind of screams to me that Rivera is prepping for a bigger overall role and less of a football role. But we'll see.

Agreed again.

I did wonder with some of the prime HC candidates around now, if from left field he made that jump right now. 

Maybe a season too soon, but that would be some forward thinking......

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agreed again.

I did wonder with some of the prime HC candidates around now, if from left field he made that jump right now. 

Maybe a season too soon, but that would be some forward thinking......

I think if they get a QB this year and have a good year where the Team looks well positioned for the future... A playoff season where we actually earn a bid... Next season he may make that jump. But 2022 will be a Rivera coached team. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I think if they get a QB this year and have a good year where the Team looks well positioned for the future... A playoff season where we actually earn a bid... Next season he may make that jump. But 2022 will be a Rivera coached team. 

And off the back of that, I wonder if Rivera would know right now who the future HC should be after he were to make that move in the org. Is that type of succession planning in place internally?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

That may Rivera’s goal but that doesn’t mean it’s Dan’s.  I see Dan cleaning house once the Rivera era ends, however it ends.

The only person who may remain is Mayhew. Dan will look for his new buddy. His new Vinnie/Bruce. If it’s Martin, so be it. If not, he will find it. Dan said he plans to more involved and after Rivera; he will be. It will be a return to where Dan has big role in free agency and the first round of the draft.

Rivera’s successor likely the next Zorn.

Dan hasn’t changed one bit. We thought after Gibbs, things would be set but it wasn’t. Dan asserted full control and let his lackey Vinnie make decisions; with heavy Dan involvement.

I expect Dan to revert to that model again. Have a lackey as his front man but be heavily involved; himself.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

That may Rivera’s goal but that doesn’t mean it’s Dan’s.  I see Dan cleaning house once the Rivera era ends, however it ends.

The only person who may remain is Mayhew. Dan will look for his new buddy. His new Vinnie/Bruce. If it’s Martin, so be it. If not, he will find it. Dan said he plans to more involved and after Rivera; he will be. It will be a return to where Dan has big role in free agency and the first round of the draft.

Rivera’s successor likely the next Zorn.

Dan hasn’t changed one bit. We thought after Gibbs, things would be set but it wasn’t. Dan asserted full control and let his lackey Vinnie make decisions; with heavy Dan involvement.

I expect Dan to revert to that model again. Have a lackey as his front man but be heavily involved; himself.

This is what I don't understand. If Ron's time here is so limited and he's on the hot seat, then why is he so involved in such a fundamental decision as the name of the team? I don't know his level of involvement but I find it hard to believe that he's even close to getting fired unless things completely collapse. I think I could easily see him moving to a Mike Holmgren type role where he's the team President and appoints JDR or some hot shot as his coach and moves on from there. 

What I wonder about is the changes in the coaching staff going forward. Steve Wilks did his secondary in Carolina. Could we have a situation like we did under Gibbs where JDR is given some Assistant Head Coach in charge of Defense, and Wilks is given the title of Defensive Coordinator? Another name that's out there is Jim Tomsula who guys like Jon Allen loved working under. I'm not sure about his connections to JDR or Ron, but he is a highly respected DL Coach so I wonder if he could be an option given how badly our DL performed last year.