Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

For those worrying about Kyle leaving?  Where is he going?   If there was demand for his services; then why didn't he get a sniff this offseason with so many teams looking for new GMs?

Ron felt Kyle wasn't suited to be what he wants his GM to be; so he got him that GM.   Kyle will probably keep doing what he is doing. Get the experience and maybe move up to GM either with us or someone else.

Remember,  if Snyder is forced to sell the team; then everyone will eventually everyone will be gone, as the new owner brings in his own front office people and coaching staff. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

For those worrying about Kyle leaving?  Where is he going?   If there was demand for his services; then why didn't he get a sniff this offseason with so many teams looking for new GMs?

Ron felt Kyle wasn't suited to be what he wants his GM to be; so he got him that GM.   Kyle will probably keep doing what he is doing. Get the experience and maybe move up to GM either with us or someone else.

Remember,  if Snyder is forced to sell the team; then everyone will eventually everyone will be gone, as the new owner brings in his own front office people and coaching staff. 

You don't interview a personnel man below you (Stokes) like RR did and not interview the man above you (Smith).   If Stokes were above Smith then it makes sense to me.  I/We can only hope Smith stays on.   After the 2021 draft, Smith's contract is up.  Does RR and brass resign him to a new contract.  We have to wait and see.  I say they don't.  I hope they do.  Maybe Stokes gets Smith's gig.

Edited by RWJ

Feeling a bunch better if it’s Mayhew with the GM title. It never made sense that we’d need to give it to Hurney to get him onboard if Rivera really wants him in the building, he was out of the league with no interviews. This is much more “normal” and closer to what you want. Mayhew isn’t my ideal candidate but given the constraints we have in getting these guys like Cowden or Schoen to come here (Rivera having final say and hiring/firing power etc) it’s better than nothing. 

Hopefully Kyle Smith can be his “gut instinct” talent guy and right hand man, if Rivera still wants him around. Toss him the Assistant GM title and a sweet raise and let’s get to work. 

31 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Kind of sounds like Hurney is to RR what Cerrato was to Snyder.  Hate to say it but see it that way at this time.  That could change with good results though.

Except that’s not actually a bad guy to have in the building (loyal confidant and bestie) when it’s a guy known for communicating well, working well in groups, etc. Oh yeah and when that guy isn’t playing back-biting political games to shove blame off onto others. Because the buck stops with Rivera no matter what, that won’t happen. It would be a problem if a guy like Hurney was Snyder’s guy in the building, sure. But that’s not what’s going on. In a macro advisory role I don’t mind Rivera having his comfort blanket in the building. 

To me it feels more like how Belichick has that Ernie guy who is his closest football confidant and no one really knows what his full role with the Patriots is because he’s basically Belichicks eyes, ears, and hands wherever he’s needed. 

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

He doesn’t need to be getting GM interviews to leave. When his contract expires he can just go join a FO where he feels like he has a chance to become the GM someday or work his way up again— if he thinks he’s hit his ceiling here he may move on to work his way up somewhere else where he’s known—there are many successful HC’s around the league right now that came through this building while he was coming up who know him, plus he’s got his dad’s contacts. 

Someone under him in the organizational structure was interviewed, for the job he wants, over him lol. Unless he and Rivera have a very specific understanding that’s probably not good news. He has a lot of options to leave WAS that don’t need to include GM interviews, if he knows it’s never gonna happen here or Rivera just doesn’t jive with him for whatever reason. Or if he’s just not as vital to the roster building or as good at his job as we’ve assumed. That’s a possibility too. 

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

His draft picks as GM of the Lions and record with them as GM during that time was horrid!

Honestly the Lions had their most competitive seasons when he was a GM. This is the Lions, you have to put that into perspective. He has a legitimate claim to being the best GM they've had in 30 years. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Honestly the Lions had their most competitive seasons when he was a GM. This is the Lions, you have to put that into perspective. He has a legitimate claim to being the best GM they've had in 30 years. 

Disagree.   Go back into Google or any search engine and find out what players he drafted and re-look at those picks and what they did. :)

Just now, RWJ said:

Disagree.   Go back into Google or any search engine and find out what players he drafted and re-look at those picks and what they did. :)

His notable drafts were 2009 and 2013. I've already looked it all over and it's not really that bad honestly. I'm more confident in Kyle Smith's drafts, but Mayhew isn't nearly as bad at evaluating talent as people are assuming. He has a few hits on players after the 1st round (albeit, the 2nd and 3rd round it seems). It's kind of funny when you look at the strengths of the guys we have now at evaluating talent, Hurney is good in the 1st, Mayhew is good in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and Kyle Smith is good at the end of the draft. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

His notable drafts were 2009 and 2013. I've already looked it all over and it's not really that bad honestly. I'm more confident in Kyle Smith's drafts, but Mayhew isn't nearly as bad at evaluating talent as people are assuming. He has a few hits on players after the 1st round (albeit, the 2nd and 3rd round it seems). It's kind of funny when you look at the strengths of the guys we have now at evaluating talent, Hurney is good in the 1st, Mayhew is good in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and Kyle Smith is good at the end of the draft. 

Good points made.  However let's hope that Kyle Smith is asked to stay on and sign a new contract after the NFL draft because his expires after the draft and let's hope more importantly he wants to stay on along with the scouting department we have in place. Hopefully, Kyle resigns and the F.O. (RR/Mayhew/Hurney) don't break up the scouting staff they have with Smith leading the way.

6 hours ago, bh32 said:

So San Fran gets two 3rd comp picks..that is the dumbest **** i have heard..It should be Washington getting two 3rd comp picks for hiring a minority as GM.

I think San Fran also got them for the guy who went to the Jets. Interesting rule.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

48 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Good points made.  However let's hope that Kyle Smith is asked to stay on and sign a new contract after the NFL draft because his expires after the draft and let's hope more importantly he wants to stay on along with the scouting department we have in place. Hopefully, Kyle resigns and the F.O. (RR/Mayhew/Hurney) don't break up the scouting staff they have with Smith leading the way.

Mayhew also handled Free Agency and financials during his San Francisco tenure while they had another executive handled their drafts. It's definitely possible that he was hired to take on the same responsibilities here with us while we keep Kyle Smith as our draft operative. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

Well it really could be worse. These are solid moves. We got stronger in the front office. 

I would say they are far from ground breaking hires, but the reality is they fit with the authority that Rivera holds. Hurley is simply a respected associate that Rivera can utilise for advice and to assign administrative crap to.

Mayhew is a likely to be stronger, more established and respected Exec around the league than say Smith. Figurehead role. You aren’t getting an up coming GM prospect leaving another organisation to take that role. So here we are.

Slightly underwhelmed but positive nevertheless.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Mayhew also handled Free Agency and financials during his San Francisco tenure while they had another executive handled their drafts. It's definitely possible that he was hired to take on the same responsibilities here with us while we keep Kyle Smith as our draft operative. 

Our FAs last year were a pretty good haul...I'm of the mindset of if it ain't broke, don't fix it lol...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'd be fine with that.  Mayhew is 55, not young for a GM.  My hopes are that they groom Smith as the heir apparent GM.  :)

8 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Talk about diversity. We got a Black team president, Black GM, Latino Head Coach and Latino Defensive Coordinator. Now just need some Indians / South Asians to represent my people :D 

We also just promoted Jennifer King on the coaching side. First full time black female coach in the game.

Was literally thinking to myself about an hour ago that I am finally proud of the way we go about things in the FO.

We're shattering glass ceilings and breaking moulds without even breaking stride. 

It feels like Bruce and the boys was a lifetime ago. It's a real breath of fresh air.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Our FAs last year were a pretty good haul...I'm of the mindset of if it ain't broke, don't fix it lol...

What we don’t know is who had the say over the free agents and the guys that each individual part of the machine wanted to sign.

Hypothetically, what if Kyle Smith wanted Cam Newton and Amari Cooper for the big bucks? But Turner wanted Kyle Allen/McKissick, Rivera wanted Schweitzer and Lucas...

It could easily be the case that Smith was in charge of getting all the guys in here, too. Just...

We don’t know. And they do. 

• Like 1

This front office overhaul has all the signs of an aggressive offseason in the works, suggesting we'll be pretty big players in free agency and maybe even on draft day. I just hope this new squad realizes our quarterback situation is in flux, and that they don't go for broke this season before that part is settled first; otherwise, they'd be spending big money on weapons and other supporting pieces that will go underutilized.

Edited by BurgundyBooger

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

What we don’t know is who had the say over the free agents and the guys that each individual part of the machine wanted to sign.

Hypothetically, what if Kyle Smith wanted Cam Newton and Amari Cooper for the big bucks? But Turner wanted Kyle Allen/McKissick, Rivera wanted Schweitzer and Lucas...

It could easily be the case that Smith was in charge of getting all the guys in here, too. Just...

We don’t know. And they do. 

On this my only guess is from reporters who cover the team who supposedly have sources there.  Finlay said recently on air that Kyle Smith wasn't really the defacto GM last year but played a role.  Anothe reporter forgetting whom said McKissic was a Scott Turner idea and Thomas in FA was about the TE coach coveting him.    Also looks like they value Eric Stokes highly in that building considering he was the one who interviewed for the job.  Stokes has good pedegree working in some good places rubbing noses with McCloughan and Schenider among others.  Rivera has praised his scouting eye.  For all we know Stokes might be the dude they think is the next GM down the road.

I like Kyle Smith but I am getting the vibe that he isn't considered as the be all and end all in that building.  

https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/7/17/21329187/official-redskins-name-eric-stokes-as-director-of-pro-scouting-and-don-warren-as-senior-pro-scout

“Eric Stokes is one of the finest scouts I have been around during my time as a coach in this league,” said Head Coach Ron Rivera. “He is a man that knows what I expect and knows the culture that I want to instill here in Washington

• Like 2

Some interesting dynamics going on here with some random thoughts to go with them: 

On one hand people are not interested in Hurney becasue he was not being interviewed by other teams yet even though Kyle is not being interviewed he is a ****ing stud and rising star. 🙂Anyway, it's possible Kyle is not ready or maybe even doesn't want to be a GM right now. And I could certainly see him not being a cultural fit. It happens a lot. Don't get me wrong - I appreciate what he has done the past few years. But we still have no idea what goes on behind the wall. Right now Ron has earned some major trust. 

Hurney saying he wants to be part of this is I think being taken out of context here. I at least took it as he sees something exciting here and believe I can contribute but I do not need to be GM and Ron agrees. 

I have seen a few people talk about how bad Mayhew is at talent evaluation but no one has produced data - just the old "You go look!" Really not trying to be an ass here but the answer of go google is a cop out. You make the contention then you provide the data. I am not agreeing or disagreeing but show me the data. The one data point I have is wins and losses and the Lions had some of the better years including the 3 right after he left but they kept Caldwell who he hired. 

On danny boy and his troubles - I do NOT see a new owner cleaning house like they normally do. Ron is a proven commodity and has already made great positive strides. If a new owner does come in and removes Ron and the rest, I would see that as a really bad sign. We may be trading bad for just as bad or gasp - worse. 

56 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

On one hand people are not interested in Hurney becasue he was not being interviewed by other teams yet even though Kyle is not being interviewed he is a ****ing stud and rising star.

I think the major difference here is obviously Hurney's age and that he's been there-done that, and yet nobody is interested.  With Kyle being young and much lesser experienced, it's a much better look for him to not be getting interviews for a GM role at this time.