Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

14 minutes ago, peanut0862 said:

Asking because I don't know, why don't we want  Hurney?

Because he’s a good ol’ boys hire who isn’t nearly the most qualified, and it would represent the exact type of crony hires we’ve had enough of here, but this time from a guy who’s supposed to be above that. 

• Like 2

This team is always stuck in the past. Always so afraid to promote one of their own or hire the next hot-shot candidate for a position. Hurney, seriously? That's a joke of a hire. 

7 minutes ago, bh32 said:

I think if Hurney is hired that means Kyle is staying..I think i read somewhere that Hurney admitted he is not a GM that excels in scouting players.

Maybe, I'd be okay with it if he agreed that our draft structure stayed in place. He's still not good in FA or trades though, it's a total "meh" hiring. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Thanks 1

Pros and Cons to it

Pros:

- Definitely a Ron hire. Ron is in charge. Not a Dan move. 
- Reduces the chances of front office infighting (has been a big issue here). 
- Strong track record in the first round. Very experienced GM. 

Cons:

- Has to be closer to retirement. How long-term of a solution?

- Not super exciting. We haven’t hit on the next great young GM. 
- Not a super great track record of drafting after the first few rounds. Do we maintain our current scouting Dept. 

If I’m Dan I sign off on this move. Ron has proven himself quickly. Have to let him put the people in place he wants. His coaching staff was mostly Carolina guys, and I thought they were a clear upgrade. 

• Like 1

Hurney's candidacy was first reported on Monday, but it makes complete sense. He first hired Rivera to be a head coach in 2011 with the Panthers, and after he was fired from Carolina this season, Washington's head coach spoke glowingly about his old boss. 

"As far as Marty Hurney is concerned, I really appreciated working with him. He’s a very hard worker and a very bright man. He knows the game. If you look at what he helped us build in Carolina when he helped us build our run, it’s pretty impressive. He pretty much put a lot of pieces into place," Rivera said in December.

It remains entirely possible that Hurney joins the front office in a capacity other than GM, and somebody else gets that job. 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Because he’s a good ol’ boys hire who isn’t nearly the most qualified, and it would represent the exact type of crony hires we’ve had enough of here, but this time from a guy who’s supposed to be above that. 

You do realize that the GM here, as has been stated and reported repeatedly, is a lot more than just scouting players. We still have Kyle Smith, and I've seen no indication he is going anywhere. So, if we still have Smith picking the players and Hurney handling the the more administrative duties here, what's the issue?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

You do realize that the GM here, as has been stated and reported repeatedly, is a lot more than just scouting players. We still have Kyle Smith, and I've seen no indication he is going anywhere. So, if we still have Smith picking the players and Hurney handling the the more administrative duties here, what's the issue?

A guy we (the fans) already like existing in-house (for now—not even getting an interview is a red flag about his post-draft future here) does not excuse a bad hire exemplifying nepotism in the NFL. Hurney is a joke hire if it happens in a capacity other than an advisor to another GM, sorry. 

If we hire Hurney into the actual, full GM role it’s a step backwards, unless a formal announcement about Kyle Smith’s future role and title is also made. Otherwise that’s just wishing in one hand and ****ting in the other, and telling me that if I clap my hands together it’s pizza dough. I just butchered that saying or made it up but I’m pretty sure my meaning is clear. 

I’m still gonna root for the guy, but Rivera loses a lot of benefit of the doubt if he makes this hire. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rivera could be hiring the guy to charter the team plane, make hotel reservations and deal with player medical benefits while Kyle picks players and Rob Rogers manages the cap and you guys are going apoplectic. 😂

Anyway if you think Kyle Smith should be in the team’s long-term plans then you should like this hire if it happens.

27 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The first part of your post is 100% condescension. The second part is 100% conjecture. There is no planet in which hiring this retread is the best move. I am going to step back from the ledge until it’s official, because I honestly can’t believe it’s possible. I’m assuming it’s a move to try and help him leverage an advisor role elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

A guy we (the fans) already like existing in-house (for now—not even getting an interview is a red flag about his post-draft future here) does not excuse a bad hire exemplifying nepotism in the NFL. Hurney is a joke hire if it happens in a capacity other than an advisor to another GM, sorry.

You mean the guy that received not even a whiff of an interview request anywhere else and has been classed as "not ready" repeatedly?

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

If we hire Hurney into the actual, full GM role it’s a step backwards, unless a formal announcement about Kyle Smith’s future role and title is also made. Otherwise that’s just wishing in one hand and ****ting in the other. I just butchered that saying or made it up but I’m pretty sure my meaning is clear. 

This is entirely speculation and based on nothing in reality. We have heard literally nothing whatsoever about any displeasure from Smith at all have we? We know nothing of what Hurney's role is yet, and, again, no indication that Smith is going anywhere. And, again, this GM role isn't just picking players--and, again, we still have Smith.

Just now, seantaylor=god said:

The first part of your post is 100% condescension.

Yeah, and?

1 minute ago, seantaylor=god said:

The second part is 100% conjecture.

Is it? Have you seen any reports he is going anywhere?

2 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

There is no planet in which hiring this retread is the best move.

Based on what? His player selection?

3 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I am going to step back from the ledge until it’s official, because I honestly can’t believe it’s possible.

this is 100% a key-board mashing over-reaction.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

You mean the guy that received not even a whiff of an interview request anywhere else and has been classed as "not ready" repeatedly?

This is entirely speculation and based on nothing in reality. We have heard literally nothing whatsoever about any displeasure from Smith at all have we?

If you were a manager and the position you have wanted your whole adult life is open in your current organization (and you’ve been acting in this role), and not only did they not interview you for the long term position, but they interviewed your subordinate, how would that make you feel for your long term prospects at that current employer? 

If Kyle Smith isn’t ready and doesn’t want to be the GM, and prefers to stay in his current role, I’ll have to hear that from him. Otherwise, I’m assuming he takes the hiring of Hurney poorly and leaves within the next year. Probably heads over to LA or SF.

if I’m losing Smith, it’s because I’m gaining a great evaluator GM not a retread who failed and was out of the league until he was given a life preserver from RR.

17 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Not really sure what your point is here. I’m not a Kyle Smith or bust guy at all. I’d replace him with a qualified candidate like Schoen or Cowden in a second if it meant having a real GM partner in the building for Rivera. Hurney is not that. I was simply saying that for those hanging their hopes that a Hurney hire means Kyle is being groomed to be GM—that better be said out loud by Rivera or it’s speculation to make you all feel better, with no proof of what will happen to Smith after the draft.

This is entirely speculation and based on nothing in reality. We have heard literally nothing whatsoever about any displeasure from Smith at all have we? We know nothing of what Hurney's role is yet, and, again, no indication that Smith is going anywhere. And, again, this GM role isn't just picking players--and, again, we still have Smith.

One of us is convincing themselves of something, and it isn’t me. Sorry to say. When you need to walk this tightrope to feel good about it—“well Hurney is just a guy Rivera is comfortable with, we have Wright, Kyle, and Rogers to be better at the parts of the job Hurney isn’t good at or won’t need to do”—that’s a joke. We interviewed actual, up and coming, hot name, well-thought-of GM candidates in this hiring process who would give our FO structure legitimacy across the league and balance with Rivera. If instead he opts to hire his buddy that no one else is interested in, who is out of the league, who doesn’t have a great history, just because he’s “comfortable”—that’s nepotism and goes against what he preaches about merit. Sorry. It’s same old same old here in Washington though. 

I’m purely commenting on the possibility being reported that Hurney gets the GM title. I’m being very clear about that and what my feelings would be if this hypothetical were to come to pass. I am merely reacting to the details of a report. YOU are the one projecting hopeful futures onto the narrative  and engaging in baseless speculation—assuming the best case scenario that Kyle would remain in his role and Hurney would “merely” take care of the (apparently uber-important and can’t be handled by a rookie GM type) duties that aren’t already better handled by Wright, Rogers, and Smith, in your ideal future. Except there’s been plenty of chatter from beat reporters that this hiring cycle doesn’t look good for Kyle’s future here. Which is not actually paramount to me, depending on the GM hire, but seems to be pivotal to your scenario where this hypothetical hire of Hurney is not a disaster. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

One of us is convincing themselves of something, and it isn’t me.

That's a whole lot of typing considering you're not trying to convince anyone of anything...

I'm actually reserving judgement until we see the actual finished product. Novel approach, I know, but I am giving it a whirl.

21 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

If you were a manager and the position you have wanted your whole adult life is open in your current organization (and you’ve been acting in this role), and not only did they not interview you for the long term position, but they interviewed your subordinate, how would that make you feel for your long term prospects at that current employer? 

If Kyle Smith isn’t ready and doesn’t want to be the GM, and prefers to stay in his current role, I’ll have to hear that from him. Otherwise, I’m assuming he takes the hiring of Hurney poorly and leaves within the next year. Probably heads over to LA or SF.

if I’m losing Smith, it’s because I’m gaining a great evaluator GM not a retread who failed and was out of the league until he was given a life preserver from RR.

Whole lot of "ifs" from someone so concerned with conjecture.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hurney's candidacy was first reported on Monday, but it makes complete sense. He first hired Rivera to be a head coach in 2011 with the Panthers, and after he was fired from Carolina this season, Washington's head coach spoke glowingly about his old boss. 

"As far as Marty Hurney is concerned, I really appreciated working with him. He’s a very hard worker and a very bright man. He knows the game. If you look at what he helped us build in Carolina when he helped us build our run, it’s pretty impressive. He pretty much put a lot of pieces into place," Rivera said in December.

It remains entirely possible that Hurney joins the front office in a capacity other than GM, and somebody else gets that job. 

Didn't Cowden and Hurney work together?  I don't see Smith in the picture with Stokes being interviewed. I think if Cowden has worked with Hurney he get's the nod.  Hope it's Cowden but was hoping more for Schoen from Buffalo.  Oh well.  

Could it be possible that the hire would be to serve as a mentor to bring smith up to speed to take over the GM role in the very near future?  That way dude can retire and we keep Smith. I dunno trying to find any silver lining to this. 

3 minutes ago, Lovi said:

Could it be possible that the hire would be to serve as a mentor to bring smith up to speed to take over the GM role in the very near future?  That way dude can retire and we keep Smith. I dunno trying to find any silver lining to this. 

But why would RR interview Stokes who's behind Smith in position title right now.  That's the 64K question to me. 

• Like 3

Just now, RWJ said:

But why would RR interview Stokes who's behind Smith in position title right now.  That's the 64K question to me. 

Yeah...I got nothing on that one. Really, really wanna believe. Lol. This is why we feel so snakebit though. Every time it looks like we are going in the right direction the rug is pulled out from beneath us 

If Hurney is hired and he is the top guy picking players, I hate it.

If Hurney is hired focusing predominetly on admisitrative things and Kyle stays on as the top guy picking players, great.

If Hurney is hired to focus on administrative duties, Cowden or Schoen is hired as head of player personnel, and Kyle reports directly to him, fantastic.  Or Kyle can leave and thats just fine as well.

Really hoping its not the first one.

• Like 1

That's what I'm hoping for.  We have to wait and see how it plays out.  IF Cowden is the hire and Hurney is Senior Advisor, ok.  Like I said, it's RR dog and pony show. 

Yep, Cowden worked with the Panthers for 16 years before joining the Titans in 2016.  My guess, Cowden hired as GM and Hurney hired as Senior Advisor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

Not a fan of Redwolves myself, but yeah, when he said we're not going to be some " random ass bird ", it made me think we're not going to be some random ass dog, either.

Me personally, I like the Football Team name haha.

back on topic, if it is Hurney then lets hope Kyle Smith stays.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I believe so. 

They did.  :)  I checked Cowden's profile over on the Tennessee Titans site.  He was with the Panthers for 16 years before joining Tennessee.  :)  May mean something; might mean nothing.  

• Like 1